Coopers Community

What are you drinking in 2023?

Aussiekraut

Getting close to the last of the warm and sunny Autumm days here in Melbourne so decided to have a few of my Carlton Draught clone beers in the Bali Garden whilst my COPA brew-day progressed.  The CD clone turned out very nice, very clear as it has been lagered in the kegs at 2 C for 4 weeks now.  It is very close to original beer but mine just loses its head about halfway through the glass and might be just slightly lighter in colour to the original.  Might have to up the carapils or slip in a bit of wheat in the next 44 L batch.

Very happy with this recipe as its very close.

CD Clone in the Bali Garden.jpg

• Like 14

Here's my 100% wheat, wheat beer experiment. Who said it can't be done?  😁

A little tart and zingy but bloody smashable. Head retention is so good. Summer quaffer. I'll definitely do this next summer on a bigger scale. Nice beer.

20230414_175637.jpg

• Like 15

4 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

It is very close to original beer but mine just loses its head about halfway through the glass

Looks good and still better than the modern day one that struggles to hold a head in a headmaster glass.

4 hours ago, Pale Man said:

A little tart and zingy but bloody smashable. Head retention is so good. Summer quaffer. I'll definitely do this next summer on a bigger scale. Nice beer.

20230414_175637.jpg

Who? Some bloke who was so confident he told you multiple times and told you to look it up 😃

Great work even though we did you done one better and made it congratulations 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Side-by-side taste test - Coopers XPA

Theirs

• I gave the can a good roll before pouring.  Therefore very hazy.
  • Grapefruit aroma (supposed to be mandarin too, but I can't smell it) - Theirs was "best after" December 2022, so quite a bit older than mine. Maybe some of their dry hop aroma has dissipated.
  • Malty and fruity flavour (slightly more fruity than mine)
  • Slightly more bitter than mine

Mine

• Grapefruit and mandarin aroma
  • Malty and fruity flavour
  • Slightly less bitter
  • Kegged for a month and only in the kegerator for a week, so yeast has settled to bottom of keg and beer is very clear
  • You can still taste the influence of the yeast

Overall

• Similar enough
  • Other clones use Magnum in the full boil.  Maybe that might give a slightly sharper bitterness and bring mine closer to theirs.
  • Still very happy with mine as a beer on its own and happy with how close it is to theirs.

IMG_3680.JPG.7ffe4206ea956dd2fd8c2dcdb831a4de.JPG

• Like 15

Wife and child went out today to run a bunch of errands together so it’s a quiet day at home cleaning for me, starting with a hearty breakfast and S&W clone and later a fruit salad ale with El Dorado dry hop. Beer definitely makes chores more enjoyable : )

E2866843-BFD2-4246-BC7B-0D0700C2BAAC.jpeg

DECAEC5C-C406-4337-89BF-DC44F6516C8B.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Getting close to the last of the warm and sunny Autumm days here in Melbourne so decided to have a few of my Carlton Draught clone beers in the Bali Garden whilst my COPA brew-day progressed.  The CD clone turned out very nice, very clear as it has been lagered in the kegs at 2 C for 4 weeks now.  It is very close to original beer but mine just loses its head about halfway through the glass and might be just slightly lighter in colour to the original.  Might have to up the carapils or slip in a bit of wheat in the next 44 L batch.

Very happy with this recipe as its very close.

Looks magnificent Boozer - just beautiful. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Pale Man said:

20230414_175637.jpg

Looks amazing Paley mate - I'd love to have a crack at that.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

It is very close to original beer but mine just loses its head about halfway through the glass and might be just slightly lighter in colour to the original.  Might have to up the carapils or slip in a bit of wheat in the next 44 L batch.

Update on this CD beer tasting.  Turns out after the 4th glass I realised that it's just under carbed so may not be a recipe problem at all.  Appears the residual pressure in the keg was causing the foam but after a few pours it got less and less then I noticed the pressure on the regulator was only set to 5 psi.  I did not fast carb this keg it was just left for a couple of weeks largering under what I thought was serving pressure but must have missed doing any upward adjustments as it carbed up.  No biggie as I have made amends and will leave it at 15 psi now for another week.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NBillett09 said:

starting with a hearty breakfast and S&W clone and later a fruit salad ale with El Dorado dry hop.

As Jonny Cash used to sing "the beer I had for breakfast wasn't bad, so I had one more for dessert".😁

• Haha 4

A Saturday afternoon Stout, this one is out of one of the bottles left over from the keg. the kegged version has a strange flavour, not totally unpleasant but shouldn't be there, it is more like an aftertaste 'twang" - so far, I cannot detect it, the bottled version is better but the exact same recipe I made before it was perfect.

I am thinking it could be the beer lines need cleaning or perhaps it was the S04 yeast I used is to blame, both batches were exactly the same recipe & brewed at ambient temperature which was around 20-22c although at some stage I fear it may have stalled in the second batch despite being insulated.

I will give the keg one more week & if it is still there, I will tip it. Meanwhile I am still drinking the bottle.

Anyone had a similar situation?

20230415_152930.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 5

A drink at the neighbours, IPA bottled version, sadly the last one from the batch & I reckon the keg will blow this afternoon.

I have to bring my own glass as the SWMBO will only put everything including beer glasses in the dishwasher, I have never had any luck keeping a head on my beer at their place. They are nice people & don't seem to mind.

20230415_174825.jpg

• Like 6

18 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

A Saturday afternoon Stout, this one is out of one of the bottles left over from the keg. the kegged version has a strange flavour, not totally unpleasant but shouldn't be there, it is more like an aftertaste 'twang" - so far, I cannot detect it, the bottled version is better but the exact same recipe I made before it was perfect.

I am thinking it could be the beer lines need cleaning or perhaps it was the S04 yeast I used is to blame, both batches were exactly the same recipe & brewed at ambient temperature which was around 20-22c although at some stage I fear it may have stalled in the second batch despite being insulated.

I will give the keg one more week & if it is still there, I will tip it. Meanwhile I am still drinking the bottle.

Anyone had a similar situation?

20230415_152930.jpg

Did you check the FG of the kegged one if you were worried it has stalled? If so you could warm it up and chuck us05 in it perhaps??? It would taste sweet I would have thought if had stalled?? Would hate to tip it?

Edited by RDT2

31 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

Did you check the FG of the kegged one if you were worried it has stalled? If so you could warm it up and chuck us05 in it perhaps??? It would taste sweet I would have thought if had stalled?? Would hate to tip it?

The SG was 1.053 & FG 1.022 which I agree was high, but it was in the FV for 18 days.

The exact same recipe a month earlier the readings were 1.041 & 1.018 & it was in the FV for 16 days & was perfect.

But this one has been in the keg since 22/03/2023.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2023 at 11:02 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Side-by-side taste test - Coopers XPA

Theirs

• I gave the can a good roll before pouring.  Therefore very hazy.
  • Grapefruit aroma (supposed to be mandarin too, but I can't smell it) - Theirs was "best after" December 2022, so quite a bit older than mine. Maybe some of their dry hop aroma has dissipated.
  • Malty and fruity flavour (slightly more fruity than mine)
  • Slightly more bitter than mine

Mine

• Grapefruit and mandarin aroma
  • Malty and fruity flavour
  • Slightly less bitter
  • Kegged for a month and only in the kegerator for a week, so yeast has settled to bottom of keg and beer is very clear
  • You can still taste the influence of the yeast

Overall

• Similar enough
  • Other clones use Magnum in the full boil.  Maybe that might give a slightly sharper bitterness and bring mine closer to theirs.
  • Still very happy with mine as a beer on its own and happy with how close it is to theirs.

IMG_3680.JPG.7ffe4206ea956dd2fd8c2dcdb831a4de.JPG

Coopers xpa is not a bad drop, but from your review I'm keen to give yours a try 👍🏻

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Cheap Charlie said:

what is the beer engine?

Mimics the effect of a hand pull pump, kinda. If your beer is flat, put a syringe in and pull some beer and squirt back in a few times. Just be careful not to do it too much or she overflows

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Pints said:

Mimics the effect of a hand pull pump, kinda. If your beer is flat, put a syringe in and pull some beer and squirt back in a few times. Just be careful not to do it too much or she overflows

ok cool, never heard of it before.. a bit like smahing the bottom of your glass on the bar to rouse the head 👍🏻

• Like 2

Morgan's pacific ale recipe, morgans pacific ale, morgans wheat malt extract can, with us-05, dry hopped with ella and galxy.. dirty batched from last brew which was the same, only difference was I added 200g steeped crystal. Bottled in January. I'm impressed, so I had to post - incredibly clean, first impressions is that of golden syrup, but not sweet. A carry over of the galaxy hops, nice clean taste. I would highly recommend this as a k&k brew. I have never had a bad brew with the Morgan's Pacific Ale kit - amazing kit 👍🏻

IMG_0124.thumb.JPG.843b02392d3cb20996f0098f382f4414.JPG

• Like 6