Coopers Community

What are you drinking in 2023?

Aussiekraut

12 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

OVER CARBONATED KEG

It seems my keg of IPA is over carbonated, I have done a bit of mucking about with burping the keg, gas off, using the POR on the regulator but is seems the only way is to disconnect the keg & take it out of the fridge & let it come to room temperature & vent it & re-connect the gas as the headspace is holding too much Co2.

According to this article: it is worth a try as I am only poring foam ATM in spite of the psi set to 10.

Anyone else had issues with this or any other remedies?

Letting it sit for a while makes it drinkable, but I get a slight 'flat taste'

Cheers

Phil

20230406_153132.thumb.jpg.32e37ae03a079c4091e86472aff80561.jpg

help-my-taps-pouring-foam.htm 93.91 kB · 0 downloads

I believe all you can do is keep burping it mate, takes quite a while i think. What did you have it set at and for how long?

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, stquinto said:

“once more unto the breach, my friends” , as I venture up to face the wrath of SWMBO 🤣

God bless her, she has to put up with enough 

I would be careful El Stquinto, it looks like that door could be easily locked from the outside, one night in your ganted gassed gatted giddy glorious goosed state you may find there is no exit.

Have you considered keeping a sleeping bag down there? 🤣

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Hoppy81 said:

I believe all you can do is keep burping it mate, takes quite a while i think. What did you have it set at and for how long?

Originally, I set it at 35psi for 24 hours & I thought I had returned it normal serving temp 10-12 but I suspect it was more like 20psi.

I have done gas off, burp the keg, gas of on the regulator, used the PRV & re-set to 10-12psi but I think it was on too high for too long.

For the first 4-5 days it was great, alive & hoppy but after you pour the foam, let it sit it almost tastes flattish but drinkable.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

8 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Originally, I set it at 35psi for 24 hours & I thought I had returned it normal serving temp 10-12 but I suspect it was more like 20psi.

I have done gas off, burp the keg, gas of on the regulator, used the PRV & re-set to 10-12psi but I think it was on too high for too long.

For the first 4-5 days it was great, alive & hoppy but after you pour the foam, let it sit it almost tastes flattish but drinkable.

after burp it give it a small shake and roll gas off and let sit for 15 mins then burp it again and try it.

Edited by Uhtred Of Beddanburg
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

after burp it give it a small shake and roll gas off and let sit for 15 mins then burp it again and try it.

Yeah, Cheers, I read that, when I have finished pouring tonight, I will disconnect & bring to room temp as per article & shake it in the morning & start again.

Cheers.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I would be careful El Stquinto, it looks like that door could be easily locked from the outside, one night in your ganted gassed gatted giddy glorious goosed state you may find there is no exit.

Have you considered keeping a sleeping bag down there? 🤣

There's something to be said for locking the ogre in the dungeon ...

Two years ago we had a heat wave here ( > 35°C, probably not that exciting for you folks) and I set up some bunk beds in the cellar. A full 10 degrees cooler than the top floor. Quite handy for directly flopping onto the bed from the bunker,  pretty much like an opium den 😉

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, stquinto said:

Two years ago we had a heat wave here ( > 35°C, probably not that exciting for you folks) and I set up some bunk beds in the cellar. A full 10 degrees cooler than the top floor. Quite handy for directly flopping onto the bed from the bunker,  pretty much like an opium den 😉

35c a heat wave??? You should come to Australia in the middle of summer & go to the Outback, some places I have been at 9.00 in the morning it is 38c & during the day it can get it 45-48 & when it cools down during the night it rarely goes under 30c.

However, I know what you mean, in the summer at my place near the sea at Glenelg SA it can be 35-40c outside & when I walk inside it is at least 10c cooler inside, I have an old house with double brick, high ceiling's & a beautiful sea breeze. 

Good luck with your dungeon drinking nights.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Well well. I've been punching out this Lager for about 2 years, probably brewed it 100 times as it's one I sell. I've been using Lallemand Diamond and another commercial yeast for most of that time with normally roughly a 16 day ferment with around 4 temp steps, I use to lager for about 2 months but lately they have not even been getting 1 month as the cafes absolutely smash through the kegs. 

This brew I used NovaLager for the first time, this ferment took 10 days including the cold crash, it's only been kegged for 4 days with a 2 day force carb and I cannot believe that I can't taste any difference from the original. Obviously it will get clearer over the next week or so but I'm wrapped with this yeast and the time it has free'd up.

Just thought I'd share with you all, cheers.

20230406_194820.jpg

20230406_194826.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Too keen mate, I don't touch the regulator. 10psi for me after a week is good to go and won't over carb. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Hoppy81 said:

Well well. I've been punching out this Lager for about 2 years, probably brewed it 100 times as it's one I sell. I've been using Lallemand Diamond and another commercial yeast for most of that time with normally roughly a 16 day ferment with around 4 temp steps, I use to lager for about 2 months but lately they have not even been getting 1 month as the cafes absolutely smash through the kegs. 

This brew I used NovaLager for the first time, this ferment took 10 days including the cold crash, it's only been kegged for 4 days with a 2 day force carb and I cannot believe that I can't taste any difference from the original. Obviously it will get clearer over the next week or so but I'm wrapped with this yeast and the time it has free'd up.

20230406_194820.jpg

20230406_194826.jpg

Is that still at lower lager temps? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hoppy81 said:

20230406_194820.jpg

20230406_194826.jpg

I wonder how Novalager would go with a pressure ferment?

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Hoppy81 said:

20230406_194820.jpg

20230406_194826.jpg

Hoppy that's just brilliant mate. What a beast! Definitely something to consider when any of us decide to do a lager next brewday. Looks magnificent - Recipe? Nah just kiddin' 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Hoppy81 said:

20230406_194820.jpg

20230406_194826.jpg

Mate   they tell me novalager is a beast of a yeast as i am yet to try it  

If i had of seen this post 1st   as i just purchased 2 packs of Diamond lager yeast   

i was contemplating novalager

looks like a good little beer  of yours to Hoppy    nice looking head to it and i bet it tastes great

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Hoppy81 said:

20230406_194820.jpg

20230406_194826.jpg

This is encouraging. I just bought some Novalager yeast. Just waiting on some consistent cooler weather here in Adelaide as my fermenting fridge has died. I know NL will work at higher temps but I want to try it as low as possible. Thanks for sharing, Hoppy.

• Like 7

On 4/6/2023 at 8:07 PM, Hoppy81 said:

20230406_194820.jpg

20230406_194826.jpg

I'm privileged enough to know what that tastes like. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Anyone disagree with this?

image.thumb.png.78c133452b81271b12f4daf94ef186d6.png

Dont know any of them bar Big Shed. Dont disagree with the vote but their are some cracking brewerys in South Aus. The Woolshed at Renmark is a cracking little spot.

• Like 3