Coopers Community

What are you drinking in 2023?

Aussiekraut

First pour of my Belgian Pale which I have based off a brewery I went to with my dad and he really liked one of their beers. It’s only been in the keg for one day so not fully carbonated but it tastes great. It was interesting as the brewery only used lallemand yeasts so I used the abbaye yeast fermented at 22 and its throwing plenty of banana/Belgian esters very happy. Dad better come around soon otherwise he will miss out! I must admit I was surprised a commercial brewery would use dry yeasts and he said they don’t make starters. They must get it cheaper in bulk and he said they deal with lallemand directly. 

320221E9-822E-4BE5-9584-F2DF3DBD3558.jpeg

• Like 13

1 hour ago, RDT2 said:

First pour of my Belgian Pale which I have based off a brewery I went to with my dad and he really liked one of their beers. It’s only been in the keg for one day so not fully carbonated but it tastes great. It was interesting as the brewery only used lallemand yeasts so I used the abbaye yeast fermented at 22 and its throwing plenty of banana/Belgian esters very happy. Dad better come around soon otherwise he will miss out! I must admit I was surprised a commercial brewery would use dry yeasts and he said they don’t make starters. They must get it cheaper in bulk and he said they deal with lallemand directly. 

320221E9-822E-4BE5-9584-F2DF3DBD3558.jpeg

I found lallemand abbaye made the best belgian blond. Fermented around 20. Almost a perfect leffe clone. Supposedly abbaye is the dry chimay strain. Can't say I'm sold on that but it makes a very nice beer. Nothing wrong with dry yeast. Make just as good beers. Just not the variety of the liquid yeasts.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Tone boy said:

Got a cheeky lager on the go. Partial mash with some ale malt and carapils. Hallertau Mittelfrüh hops at flameout. Cheers to all !

BC4E6523-BEE4-48EA-B346-16CBD33305B8.thumb.jpeg.8d168afa10cd10f71f27ad2a8c66858e.jpeg

Love the glass. Growing up in Berlin there was a little pub on the ground floor if the building and it was a Schultheiss pub. The beer got delivered by horse drawn carriage and the brewery was on top of the Kreuzberg, ten minutes from home.

• Like 5

Sweet Nectar Honey Kolsch, couple of months in the bottle and a while in the fridge has it nice and clear with a crisp dry honey taste to it. Well the clarity would be more obvious if it wasn’t in a pint mug! 

Next time I try honey in a beer I’d probably use some sort of fruitier/floral honey than standard Capilano and I’d put in a pale ale or something rather than a Kolsch/lager type beer. Something like the old Beez Neez or the Redoak Honey Ale if anyone ever had those.

18D0A4E3-19BC-4C63-9C8E-31B60D939865.jpeg

• Like 12

57 minutes ago, NBillett09 said:

Sweet Nectar Honey Kolsch, couple of months in the bottle and a while in the fridge has it nice and clear with a crisp dry honey taste to it. Well the clarity would be more obvious if it wasn’t in a pint mug! 

Next time I try honey in a beer I’d probably use some sort of fruitier/floral honey than standard Capilano and I’d put in a pale ale or something rather than a Kolsch/lager type beer. Something like the old Beez Neez or the Redoak Honey Ale if anyone ever had those.

Looks good. A little hint, Honey wheat beers are quite nice. Maybe give that a try 🙂 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NBillett09 said:

Beez Neez! I'd forgotten about that.

• Like 4

On 4/1/2023 at 2:25 PM, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

I found lallemand abbaye made the best belgian blond. Fermented around 20. Almost a perfect leffe clone. Supposedly abbaye is the dry chimay strain. Can't say I'm sold on that but it makes a very nice beer. Nothing wrong with dry yeast. Make just as good beers. Just not the variety of the liquid yeasts.

I’ve had a few good results with MJ41 for a Strong Blond Belgian (or Duvel clone). 
Where I am a Wyeast or White labs is twice the price of dry and so far not been worth it.

This was a Duvel clone I bottled last year, with 2g out of an 11g Lallemand F2 packet when bottling . Real waste that you should probably chuck the other 9g. 
I have collected the main brewing yeast and reused it: not bad results so far.I keg it anyway, apart from that batch that I bottled .
I’m more worried about fermenting out all the sugar to make it a dry brew TBH

Work in progress for me, but yours looks good @RDT2 👍

3915B33A-6063-43ED-9A6A-705CCBB86BA3.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, stquinto said:

Here’s an underground shot.. a Westmalle clone. Pretty rich, chocolatey, malty, not excessively boozy but it packs a punch at about 7.5

D76EDACB-BA93-4B5A-9736-D2D6E24CBEAF.jpeg

Good work Sainter. Looks like you’ve been relegated to the dungeon for the rest of the evening!

Don’t have too many of those westmalle’s or you might struggle to get back up the stairs!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, stquinto said:

Thanks Jenny! The magnolia tree looked best a week ago, but hey, all I have to do now is pick the petals up 😳

Looks like a good thing Stquinta, I bet it attracts a lot of bees which is a good thing, but I suffer with hay fever so I wouldn't think it would last very long in my yard. 🤧

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Tone boy said:

Good work Sainter. Looks like you’ve been relegated to the dungeon for the rest of the evening!

Don’t have too many of those westmalle’s or you might struggle to get back up the stairs!

Good point mate… the bloke here before made provisions for such an eventuality with a rope banister for the last few steps 😄

“once more unto the breach, my friends” , as I venture up to face the wrath of SWMBO 🤣

God bless her, she has to put up with enough 

787AD4D4-DF91-4165-886D-73EC5F3FF8EA.thumb.jpeg.1a8859330634e40682a5f50c759c2243.jpeg

Edited by stquinto
Typo
  • Haha 5

OVER CARBONATED KEG

It seems my keg of IPA is over carbonated, I have done a bit of mucking about with burping the keg, gas off, using the POR on the regulator but is seems the only way is to disconnect the keg & take it out of the fridge & let it come to room temperature & vent it & re-connect the gas as the headspace is holding too much Co2.

According to this article: it is worth a try as I am only poring foam ATM in spite of the psi set to 10.

Anyone else had issues with this or any other remedies?

Letting it sit for a while makes it drinkable, but I get a slight 'flat taste'

Cheers

Phil

20230406_153132.thumb.jpg.32e37ae03a079c4091e86472aff80561.jpg

help-my-taps-pouring-foam.htm

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Sad 5