Coopers Community

What Are You Drinking in 2022?

Pezzza

5 hours ago, Hoppy81 said:

You'll also have to add another $85 for the power source (unless you use the aligator clips with a battery, $15.50 plus $35 for the hopper, so now you are looking at $330ish.

Has anyone actually got one of these Maltzillas? I've been interested in them for some time but a few videos i've watched shows grain pouring out of a gap where it shouldn't...

I know Gash  had one but not sure if he still has one though  maybe have a chat with Gash mate see his views

I have good reports from the Grainfather electric mill  

• Like 1

Just now, ozdevil said:

I know Gash  had one but not sure if he still has one though  maybe have a chat with Gash mate see his views

I have good reports from the Grainfather electric mill  

Yeah i spoke with him when he first got one and he wasn't sold on it but i think that was the original version.

I'm leaning towards the Grainfather mill i think

Cheers mate 🍻

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hoppy81 said:

Yeah i spoke with him when he first got one and he wasn't sold on it but i think that was the original version.

I'm leaning towards the Grainfather mill i think

Cheers mate 🍻

a member of my brew club  had got the grainfather in his hands well before the release date (dam works for them haha)  so was privvy to a few  reviews from him   .    and from what i have seen of his crushes  with the grainfather is pretty good and i dont think it is as bulky as the maltzilla version  .   i  knew gash had the 1st version  not sure wether he purchase the current model  , but you dont hear much around the traps on these now

i think  personally   the normal 2 roller is simple enough with a drill  and bobs ya uncle

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hoppy81 said:

I'm liking the idea of electric so i can do other stuff while the grain is milling haha

I agree    , i believe  if you get the 12 litre bottles of water and cut the bottom out   they make a great hopper  specially if ya doing  big batches bigger then 5kg

• Like 2

A Samual Adams AG clone (from a bottle). Almost all of the others have been gushers, I was gunna tip them. A bot underwhelming but at least I got to taste some. Afterwards some random bottle from a year ago, I think it might have been an unsuccessful attempt at an extract Duvel. It ain’t Duvel but it goes down ok, maybe like a Chimay Red. 
Then a Coopers vintage 21 (could be mistaken about the year). Now that one is a lovely drop 👍

A0D15C3C-0932-470A-BDAA-D40C5096B7C7.jpeg

473CC8BC-D5EF-4FF2-BF7A-31F296CA450F.jpeg

E1F36DD3-8B61-429E-B1A7-4EF879DAD97E.jpeg

• Like 10

20 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yeah I am thinking it's nice to have all of the whiz bang stuff but the reality is when do you stop spending ( I already know the answer, you don't 🤣

AK said he uses the 2 roller & he bangs out the AG brews so I think that would be good enough for me.

Cheers.

I have a similar mill to the Kegland one.  I use the Ozito drill here.  This drill does not miss a beat.  You need good torque at low speeds to crush grains.  Some of the rechargeable/cheap Aldi ones do not stand up to that type of use.  I figured $99, knowing that it will work like a dream, was better than $60 that died on me and became $159 after I bought the Ozito drill that I should have bought in the first place.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I have a similar mill to the Kegland one.  I use the Ozito drill here.  This drill does not miss a beat.  You need good torque at low speeds to crush grains.  Some of the rechargeable/cheap Aldi ones do not stand up to that type of use.  I figured $99, knowing that it will work like a dream, was better than $60 that died on me and became $159 after I bought the Ozito drill that I should have bought in the first place.

Fair enough Shamus, that's interesting & handy to know. Thanks.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

The Aldi one I use is a 20V device with a 4Ah battery. There is plenty of torque on tap 🙂 I've used it for well over 2 years now and have had no dramas with it. If it happens to fail, it is fairly cheap to replace it. 

• Like 3

Just now, Aussiekraut said:

The Aldi one I use is a 20V device with a 4Ah battery. There is plenty of torque on tap 🙂 I've used it for well over 2 years now and have had no dramas with it. If it happens to fail, it is fairly cheap to replace it. 

I probably would be looking to buy a cheaper one that I can get use out of it for other tasks around the place but first I have to get a mill ( & as I keep saying - more kegs ) 🤑

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I just noticed Keg King have this one with a mounting board for $99.00. Sounds like a better deal.

• Grain Malt Mill (2 Roller) With Steel Mounting Board - New Design  SKU 5443  $99.00

2_roller_mill_1.jpg

both kegland mill and keg king mill are very much similar mills  ,  in ways its only the asthetics of the mill  that is very different  and that it comes with the board mounted

both kegland and kig king rollers are knurled   

to be honest with you   either  one of the mills will do a fine job  

if you go the Keg King  mill everything is bundled already
but you may have to assemble it

i dont think you will be disappointed either way 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

both kegland mill and keg king mill are very much similar mills  ,  in ways its only the asthetics of the mill  that is very different  and that it comes with the board mounted

both kegland and kig king rollers are knurled   

to be honest with you   either  one of the mills will do a fine job  

if you go the Keg King  mill everything is bundled already
but you may have to assemble it

i dont think you will be disappointed either way 

I like the idea of the steel mount, if I struggle with assembly my neighbour/drinking buddy is an engineer & has his own workshop next door & re-bulids vintage Motor Bikes/Parts etc - I am sure he will get it right. Cheers.

• Like 4

Just now, Classic Brewing Co said:

I like the idea of the steel mount, if I struggle with assembly my neighbour/drinking buddy is an engineer & has his own workshop next door & re-bulids vintage Motor Bikes/Parts etc - I am sure he will get it right. Cheers.

assembly will not be difficult   its only  most likely attaching the board , it may even be attached on delivery.   and just  assembling the hopper  ,  nothing to them

then there is only 1 trial and error  situation you will have is setting the mill for  your grain   as you only just want to crack the grains so they still  look intact but allows your water to  enter the husk to do its magic.

so only do a small amount until your happy with the crush , then  go for it.

yes i kind of like the keg king mill  myself  for the very same reason 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

assembly will not be difficult   its only  most likely attaching the board , it may even be attached on delivery.   and just  assembling the hopper  ,  nothing to them

then there is only 1 trial and error  situation you will have is setting the mill for  your grain   as you only just want to crack the grains so they still  look intact but allows your water to  enter the husk to do its magic.

so only do a small amount until your happy with the crush , then  go for it.

yes i kind of like the keg king mill  myself  for the very same reason 

Yeah I understand you could quite easily make 'flour' if you weren't careful. I think I will be getting that one & Beer Belly have 25kg bags of Coopers Ale Malt for $59.00, I can easily pick it up so things are looking on the bright side to continue my AG journey.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yeah I understand you could quite easily make 'flour' if you weren't careful. I think I will be getting that one & Beer Belly have 25kg bags of Coopers Ale Malt for $59.00, I can easily pick it up so things are looking on the bright side to continue my AG journey.

You wont regret cracking your own grain Phil.  I think its another step up in all grain brewing. It adds a freshness.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

You wont regret cracking your own grain Phil.  I think its another step up in all grain brewing. It adds a freshness.

Yeah Cheers Paleo, I have done it in the past with a rolling pin for partials until I got it milled for me however I would agree straight out of the bag, milled & brewed would make a vast difference.

• Like 1

Having another HefeWheat and it’s even better out of a Weizen glass, even if it is not a Weizen at all. Having had quite a few gushers and odd tasting bottles in this lot I understand now the importance of attention to detail in hygiene, temperature control and storage. It’s good to continuously learn something new. Unfortunately had no time to open and set up my Brezilla, gardening took over. There is always next weekend, or maybe it will be bottling day. The Vintage Ale tastes promising.

742E64AB-E2BD-419D-988D-B42D33456659.jpeg

• Like 11

12 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I use an Ozito drill as well I was going to replace it with something better ( so I thought 💭)  and that was about 3 or 4 years ago and it’s still going strong! It’s the lower end drill as well not the brushless one!

• Like 2

Pale Ale

Can of Pale, One kilo of Light Dry Malt

250g Crystal Malt and 250g Carapils, steeped for 30 min. Boiled for 10

With 30g Galaxy hops at Flameout.

I really like this one, it will be a regular, till I find a better one.

Just a great Session Beer 

20221017_155533.thumb.jpg.b382811fd01c8757bbcb01825807fdaf.jpg

• Like 8