Coopers Community

What Are You Drinking in 2022?

Pezzza

2 hours ago, stquinto said:

Patience is a virtue that seems to have passed me by 😂

I knocked up a CCA from 6 stubbies and this brew was the second batch from it. I only make up about 600ml (about half a PET bottle), so I’m a bit confused about other fellas mentioning 3 or 4 litre starters….

I have a Vintage 22 that’s been on the go for 3 weeks but the air lock is still active. I’ve got to bottle it at some point ( not a kegger that one). That’s generation #3 of the same CCA.

The CCA works a treat IMHO, thanks Coopers!

Always found an overpitch and a 18c ferment temp worked best for CCA. Otherwise the esters can get crazy. Great yeast though. Extremely versatile.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Always found an overpitch and a 18c ferment temp worked best for CCA. Otherwise the esters can get crazy. Great yeast though. Extremely versatile.

+1

I concur @Greenyinthewestofsydney as my temp profile for this yeast is 18 C for 4 days then 22 C for 4 days and then a CC if any room in the FV fridges.  I have even fermented some batches at a low ambient, pitched lower with initial few days lower than 18 C and still perfectly fine.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, stquinto said:

I knocked up a CCA from 6 stubbies and this brew was the second batch from it. I only make up about 600ml (about half a PET bottle), so I’m a bit confused about other fellas mentioning 3 or 4 litre starters….

@stquinto I have two Erlenmeyer flasks, one a 5 L and one a 3 L.  When I cube brews there is always a litre or so left over wort so I pump that into one of the flasks, cover flask opening with sanitised aluminium foil and store it in my keezer until required.  After a few brews I end up having 3 -4 litres of "hopped" starter so when I am ready for a fresh yeast build up, simply boil the stored wort for 10 minutes and allow to cool.  Then pitch the sum of 6 or 8 stubbies residue yeast into that.   When I use the stir plate I usually end up with about 500 ml of yeast cake in the flasks.  Normally I wait until the krausen has died down a bit and tip most of the beer off the starter but because it is already hopped you could just tip the lot into the FV and get a couple more litres of beer.  Just depends on hops used in the past few brews, but you get what I am saying here.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

@stquinto I have two Erlenmeyer flasks, one a 5 L and one a 3 L.  When I cube brews there is always a litre or so left over wort so I pump that into one of the flasks, cover flask opening with sanitised aluminium foil and store it in my keezer until required.  After a few brews I end up having 3 -4 litres of "hopped" starter so when I am ready for a fresh yeast build up, simply boil the stored wort for 10 minutes and allow to cool.  Then pitch the sum of 6 or 8 stubbies residue yeast into that.   When I use the stir plate I usually end up with about 500 ml of yeast cake in the flasks.  Normally I wait until the krausen has died down a bit and tip most of the beer off the starter but because it is already hopped you could just tip the lot into the FV and get a couple more litres of beer.  Just depends on hops used in the past few brews, but you get what I am saying here.

Thanks mate 👍

I was thinking of going the flask and stirrer way. TBH I might concentrate on temperature control first. 
I soak a few jam jars in the solution I use for cleaning bottles, then pour in the yeast from the bottom of the FV. I use approximately half of one “old” brew on a new brew, so far it’s worked ok (Duvel clone and Coopers).  I’ll be saving a Windsor too when I keg my latest

• Like 3

COOPERS PALE ALE

The keg of this blew last week & the bottles that I got out of the batch are all gone apart from this bad boy.

No neighbours in sight so I thought it was time to open it, this is excellent the growler has retained a pleasant bitterness & the POR are coming through. It has cleared up nicely & is a pleasure to drink. 

Luckily, I have another new keg of this in the keg fridge almost ready to tackle.

20221010_142643.thumb.jpg.ac0974c60e0ad57346c99064881b686d.jpg

• Like 10

9 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

All grain Pilsner. Two days kegged. She's a tad green and not cleared up. But what delicious malty goodness. This tasty stuff is why I home brew beer. I'm impressed with myself and I'm taking the rest of the day off.

Looks good @Pale Man I am going to tackle a Pilsner next; I have a recipe for a Czech version. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Looks good @Pale Man I am going to tackle a Pilsner next; I have a recipe for a Czech version. 

You won't be disappointed my man. Good malty beer. The German in me comes out when I partake in a glass. It's October so why not a big Stein of home brew Pilsner. All I need is a plate of hock, bratwurst and sauerkraut.

20221010_155303.jpg

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

I had to welcome the new member of the family with some homebrew. An eight month old Mooroobra Lager, a Brigalow Munich Lager can with steeped and dry hoped East Kent Golding. It‘s drinkable, nothing special. With some brews I find the little 0.33l bottles overcarbonated with one carbonation drop. This glass is too cute (0.2l). Can’t wait to introduce it‘s siblings to the family. Thank you Vinnie and Salvos.

9F769CF6-93B0-41C7-A9DF-857B4CFEAC34.jpeg

8495DC93-FCA9-4FA3-8C81-F51D1376F1E3.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

I had to welcome the new member of the family with some homebrew. An eight month old Mooroobra Lager, a Brigalow Munich Lager can with steeped and dry hoped East Kent Golding. It‘s drinkable, nothing special. With some brews I find the little 0.33l bottles overcarbonated with one carbonation drop. This glass is too cute (0.2l). Can’t wait to introduce it‘s siblings to the family. Thank you Vinnie and Salvos.

9F769CF6-93B0-41C7-A9DF-857B4CFEAC34.jpeg

8495DC93-FCA9-4FA3-8C81-F51D1376F1E3.jpeg

Mate I love those glasses, awesome, I have a huge collection of beer glasses (& wine) but I haven't got some of those.

• Like 3

A homebrew taste test last night turned out to be a fizzer. My husband had given his brew of Brigalow 'New' an extra week; as it still tasted weak and toffeeish after three weeks. And I planned to enjoy my last bottle of Australian Pale Ale from 20.8 with LDM and hop additions. 

The Brigalow had only improved a little bit, but the carbonation was good. This was our brew that didn't get going until we raised the brewing temperature to 26deg!

I had not scraped the old label off my PET bottle properly, so what I pulled out of the cupboard was not my yummy pale ale , but another pale ale only bottled on 1.10! Drinkable with carbonation OK and a bit of hoppy flavour, but still too sweet.

Notes to self: Make sure old labels are totally cleaned off; and work out the logistics of making alternate his and hers brews. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, jennyss said:

A homebrew taste test last night turned out to be a fizzer. My husband had given his brew of Brigalow 'New' an extra week; as it still tasted weak and toffeeish after three weeks. And I planned to enjoy my last bottle of Australian Pale Ale from 20.8 with LDM and hop additions. 

The Brigalow had only improved a little bit, but the carbonation was good. This was our brew that didn't get going until we raised the brewing temperature to 26deg!

I had not scraped the old label off my PET bottle properly, so what I pulled out of the cupboard was not my yummy pale ale , but another pale ale only bottled on 1.10! Drinkable with carbonation OK and a bit of hoppy flavour, but still too sweet.

Notes to self: Make sure old labels are totally cleaned off; and work out the logistics of making alternate his and hers brews. 

I think we all used to make labels or at least stickers with the purpose of identifying our brews, I always box mine & label the box.

If you visit your local bottl'o you could ask them for some boxes, they are usually happy to help (tell them you are moving) 

The boxes with cardboard divisions are best if you can get them. I find this a much more efficient way of storage.

Cheers.

20220806_131540.jpg

• Like 9

I store all batches separate. Each cap gets a number.  As caps are single use the removal of labels is not required.

Each batch gets a label. 

I have a register/list of each batch I have made that matches the number system.

20221011_122740.thumb.jpg.b5a743fc28485d4533d3aeccf2a70241.jpg

• Like 11