Coopers Community

What Are You Drinking in 2022?

Pezzza

22 hours ago, JoeB7 said:

@iBooz2 Maybe aim for a porter to temper your soul-buds in prep for the descent into the blackened abyss of a smokey stout 😈😁

I hear you @JoeB7 , I did brew a Tooheys Old clone back in July 2021 as my first and only dark beer to date.  It was kegged on 20th July 2021.  Matter of fact that reminds me I still have a 1/4 of a keg left so it might be stuffed by now.  Will taste a couple of glasses tomorrow and see.  I quite liked it when I was drinking it last year.  Still going to buy a couple of cans of Coopers Stout just to test the waters so to speak.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Tone boy said:

Hey Al @iBooz2,

This stout recipe is not an all grain recipe but rather a partial masher. Was very delicious and came in at 7.3% after bottling.  
If you did want to try a partial mash, I highly recommend this one.

cheers and hope the link works…

Tone 👍

Thanks TB, doesn't matter if K & K or partial so long as the end result is good drinkable beer/stout so a partial mash fine by me if it gets me there.  Will check out your recipe and process.  Cheers.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Those prices for FWK's are better than anything I can buy in Adelaide, Country Brewer want $73.00 & BrewMaker $55-65.

I may have to do a dummy order to see what shipping is to here.

What are you doing Phil?  Forget buying FWK's and brew your own.  Get that AG gear out, dust it off and go for it.  You can get about 5 batches out of a 25 Kg bag of Coopers Premium Pale Malt i.e. way cheaper.  You just need to do the brew day work.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

What are you doing Phil?  Forget buying FWK's and brew your own.  Get that AG gear out, dust it off and go for it.  You can get about 5 batches out of a 25 Kg bag of Coopers Premium Pale Malt i.e. way cheaper.  You just need to do the brew day work.

Yeah I know but I would just like to try one, at least once. I don't want to start storing bulk grain & I haven't got a Mill or a Drill but I will be doing AG batches again as soon as I sort some more kegs out.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

+1 for that and the money you save pays for the mill in no time and gives you so much more flexibility!

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yeah I know but I would just like to try one, at least once. I don't want to start storing bulk grain & I haven't got a Mill or a Drill but I will be doing AG batches again as soon as I sort some more kegs out.

29 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

+1 for that and the money you save pays for the mill in no time and gives you so much more flexibility!

Phil, by all means try one FWK if you want but I can mill you up some Coopers Premium Pale Malt and some wheat malt and a tiny bit of crystal light malt for you, pack it in zip locked bags and post them your way if you want.  Then you just have to pop it in your AG gear, mash and add the PoR hops to the boil and you have a FWK of Coopers Original Pale Ale.

Get yourself a mill and a couple of big buckets from Bunnings, the 35 L ones with the sealing lids.

The money I see you spend on commercial tasting "specials" would have paid for your mill months ago.  Yes you can mill by hand so no need for a drill, especially for single 22 L batches.

Edited by iBooz2

7 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Phil, by all means try one FWK if you want but I can mill you up some Coopers Premium Pale Malt and some wheat malt and a tiny bit of crystal light malt for you, pack it in zip locked bags and post them your way if you want.  Then you just have to pop it in your AG gear, mash and add the PoR hops to the boil and you have a FWK of Coopers Original Pale Ale.

Get yourself a mill and a couple of big buckets from Bunnings, the 35 L ones with the sealing lids.

The money I see you spend on commercial tasting "specials" would have paid for your mill months ago.  Yes you can mill by hand so no need for a drill, especially for single 22 L batches.

Hi Al that is a very generous offer & I appreciate it but if you did that I would have to pay you for it in some way or form.

At this point I feel money spent on a mill would be better spent on kegs but I do agree with all of you the 25kg bags are the way to go.

I see KL have this entry model for $86 & the Base for $11 which is not too bad unless I can Google something better.

I will make this my project for next week to see if I can organise something to get things rolling (pun intended)

Thanks again for offering Al, it just cements the fact this this forum is made up a really great genuine people whom are always willing to help.

Cheers

Phil

Malt Muncher - 2 Roller Grain Mill  $86.00  IN STOCK  SKU KL03254

kl03254-2mill-roller.jpg

kl09621_-_10mm_base_board_for_grain_mill_-_malt_muncher_2_3_roller_pp_.png

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Hi Al that is a very generous offer & I appreciate it but if you did that I would have to pay you for it in some way or form.

At this point I feel money spent on a mill would be better spent on kegs but I do agree with all of you the 25kg bags are the way to go.

I see KL have this entry model for $86 & the Base for $11 which is not too bad unless I can Google something better.

I will make this my project for next week to see if I can organise something to get things rolling (pun intended)

Thanks again for offering Al, it just cements the fact this this forum is made up a really great genuine people whom are always willing to help.

Cheers

Phil

kl03254-2mill-roller.jpg

I have this mill and while it isn't a Mercedes, it does the job for me nicely. Just replace the crank and use a power drill instead. 

As for grains, I buy my base malts in bulk. The prices are just so much better. Weyermann Premium Pilsner costs $26 for a 5kg bag but $86 for a 25kg bag. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

I have this mill and while it isn't a Mercedes, it does the job for me nicely. Just replace the crank and use a power drill instead. 

As for grains, I buy my base malts in bulk. The prices are just so much better. Weyermann Premium Pilsner costs $26 for a 5kg bag but $86 for a 25kg bag. 

Hi AK, thanks for your input, I am glad that someone has the mill that I was thinking about, I haven't owned a drill for some time but they are readily available, it's just a matter of how much you would have to spend to get the job done. It would appear to me you wouldn't need a tradesman's quality drill, maybe something from Kmart ?

There a a few bulk grain options available in Adelaide that I can travel to instead of paying shipping.

Cheers.

41 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Cheers

Phil

kl03254-2mill-roller.jpg

as @Aussiekraut  mentioned its not the Mercedes of Mills,  if you want a great hand grain mill then a millmaster is the way to go  but they are very expensive  but Australian made i understand and  @ $399.95 aud just for the mill without the hopper  that puts it out of most peoples budgets and you could get a decent electric grain mill from grainfather or get the maltmuncher from Kegland for that.

having said that   the Kegland mill   is quite acceptable, i could have given you a grain mill but unfortunately i swapped this for a temp controller just a couple of months ago.   

i use a ozito spade drill on the slowest setting  and works well  , this is the same  what Gash used when he was using the kegland grain mill  (he now uses a  electric mill  multmuncher or the grainfather one 

setting up the grain mill is fairly easy with a 2 roller... however with the hopper putting that together  is fun with the tiny screws
my advice is  to have the nuts on the hopper on the outside side  so that grain doesn't get caught around the screws

adjusting the rollers is pretty simple and basically on need it a credit card size  (some grains you will have to adjust)

Phil   you might want to consider this   option for  $210 

MaltZilla with Integrated 24v Motor - The Diamond Grain Mill - Premium Diamond Rollers

MaltZilla Mounting Board - (PolyPropylene Food Grade Plastic)MaltZilla Aluminium Hopper - holds up to 7kg grain

By the time you buy your Mill , drill and the mounting board 

you might as well buy the maltmuncher   as it is an electric mill

just worth a thought

31 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

as @Aussiekraut  mentioned its not the Mercedes of Mills,  if you want a great hand grain mill then a millmaster is the way to go  but they are very expensive  but Australian made i understand and  @ $399.95 aud just for the mill without the hopper  that puts it out of most peoples budgets and you could get a decent electric grain mill from grainfather or get the maltmuncher from Kegland for that.

having said that   the Kegland mill   is quite acceptable, i could have given you a grain mill but unfortunately i swapped this for a temp controller just a couple of months ago.   

i use a ozito spade drill on the slowest setting  and works well  , this is the same  what Gash used when he was using the kegland grain mill  (he now uses a  electric mill  multmuncher or the grainfather one 

setting up the grain mill is fairly easy with a 2 roller... however with the hopper putting that together  is fun with the tiny screws
my advice is  to have the nuts on the hopper on the outside side  so that grain doesn't get caught around the screws

adjusting the rollers is pretty simple and basically on need it a credit card size  (some grains you will have to adjust)

MaltZilla with Integrated 24v Motor - The Diamond Grain Mill - Premium Diamond Rollers

MaltZilla Mounting Board - (PolyPropylene Food Grade Plastic)MaltZilla Aluminium Hopper - holds up to 7kg grain

just worth a thought

Cheers good to get your input but I probably would just stick to the cheapest option as I need to buy more kegs & stuff, even if I had to grind manually. I will look at all options.Cheers.

6 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Cheers good to get your input but I probably would just stick to the cheapest option as I need to buy more kegs & stuff, even if I had to grind manually. I will look at all options. Cheers.

I understand, mate i also have the kegland grain mill that you was looking at  (would love the mill master but cant justify that  myself

I would look into  what it will cost you  for eith ther the Maltmuncher that you put up  + drill  cost
to the Kegland Maltzilla  +hopper  and board costs

The reason i mentioned the keglands electric mill   you wouldn't have to search for a drill

but you will not be disappointed in the kegland  hand mill @ $86 bucks

52 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Hi AK, thanks for your input, I am glad that someone has the mill that I was thinking about, I haven't owned a drill for some time but they are readily available, it's just a matter of how much you would have to spend to get the job done. It would appear to me you wouldn't need a tradesman's quality drill, maybe something from Kmart ?

There a a few bulk grain options available in Adelaide that I can travel to instead of paying shipping.

Cheers.

I use a 20v battery powered drill from Aldi. At the time it cost something like $60. It's got enough oomph to drive the mill happily. Milling 5kg of grain takes less than 5 minutes including change of bucket and hopper refill. I know there are better mills out there but this one does the trick for me and it didn't cost s fortune. 

I usually have things delivered because it is cheaper to do so. Hoppy Days charges 10 bucks per 20kg or so. I cannot drive there for that. They're about 45km away on the other side of town but the quickest way there costs about $16 in toll alone. And if I order in the morning, I will have it the next day right at my doorstep when I come home from work. 

1 minute ago, Aussiekraut said:

I use a 20v battery powered drill from Aldi. At the time it cost something like $60. It's got enough oomph to drive the mill happily. Milling 5kg of grain takes less than 5 minutes including change of bucket and hopper refill. I know there are better mills out there but this one does the trick for me and it didn't cost s fortune. 

I usually have things delivered because it is cheaper to do so. Hoppy Days charges 10 bucks per 20kg or so. I cannot drive there for that. They're about 45km away on the other side of town but the quickest way there costs about $16 in toll alone. And if I order in the morning, I will have it the next day right at my doorstep when I come home from work. 

OK all good info, thanks, I remember seeing drills at Aldi - most of their stuff is pretty good I have found.

We don't have tolls but most of the LBHS are all close to me so it's no problem to pick up stuff apart from what I order in from KL.

7 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

I understand, mate i also have the kegland grain mill that you was looking at  (would love the mill master but cant justify that  myself

I would look into  what it will cost you  for eith ther the Maltmuncher that you put up  + drill  cost
to the Kegland Maltzilla  +hopper  and board costs

The reason i mentioned the keglands electric mill   you wouldn't have to search for a drill

but you will not be disappointed in the kegland  hand mill @ $86 bucks

Yeah I am thinking it's nice to have all of the whiz bang stuff but the reality is when do you stop spending ( I already know the answer, you don't 🤣

AK said he uses the 2 roller & he bangs out the AG brews so I think that would be good enough for me.

Cheers.

22 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yeah I am thinking it's nice to have all of the whiz bang stuff but the reality is when do you stop spending ( I already know the answer, you don't 🤣

AK said he uses the 2 roller & he bangs out the AG brews so I think that would be good enough for me.

Cheers.

i Agree.  the 2 roller does me fine as well  , i had the 3 roller version but found the 2 roller easier to use
and i haven't looked back yet 

1 hour ago, ozdevil said:

just worth a thought

You'll also have to add another $85 for the power source (unless you use the aligator clips with a battery, $15.50 plus $35 for the hopper, so now you are looking at $330ish.

Has anyone actually got one of these Maltzillas? I've been interested in them for some time but a few videos i've watched shows grain pouring out of a gap where it shouldn't...