Coopers Community

What Are You Drinking in 2022?

Pezzza

4 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

First taste of my Coopers Pale, this is day 5 in the keg, obviously young, slightly green but showing potential.

It certainly tastes like a Pale Ale, but I think I will increase the POR from 50gm to at least 75gm, maybe even 100gm for the next brew.

That future increase is too high an amount of PoR IMO Phil, maybe something amiss in your process.  Can you tell me the %AA stamped on the PoR packet, its manufacturing date and date of purchase?  What process do you use in your brew as I find 30 - 50 gm ample and it becomes a bit harsh above that.  Of course you store them frozen.  Just interested that's all as my COPA's beers are about spot on with my amount of PoR and I will not be changing my recipe as it spot on to the commercial version.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

That future increase is too high an amount of PoR IMO Phil, maybe something amiss in your process.  Can you tell me the %AA stamped on the PoR packet, its manufacturing date and date of purchase?  What process do you use in your brew as I find 30 - 50 gm ample and it becomes a bit harsh above that.  Of course you store them frozen.  Just interested that's all as my COPA's beers are about spot on with my amount of PoR and I will not be changing my recipe as it spot on to the commercial version.

The hops were bought from a LBHS who keeps them stored correctly & has them packaged in 25/50/100gm bags with his own labelling so there are no specs to view, all I know I have been buying them of him for years but it could well be my taste as some say they can taste them whereas I tend to really like a hop bite. I agree 50gms should be enough & as the beer in the keg matures they will probably come through.

47 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yeah your beers were really good, a good bit of punch 🥊

Hey there @Classic Brewing Co CBC Head Brewer and Chef - am very much with @beach_life Beachcomber on this... I pretty much these days do long boil for some bitterness and then do most hopping just at FO or close thereafter... and only late hopping in FV for the more aromatic hoppy ale thing... would recommend FO hopping greatly.

Guess it is a bit easier for me tho - as I just commando them and shut the lid down tight on the very hot Wort which steam sterilises things and I just let it go overnight... and then all the hops just drop out before I decant.

Interestingly you can generate quite a bit of bitterness that way too w the more bitter hop versions... 

Anyway - would back up Comber and encourage you to try a good dose at FO or slightly thereafter... 

Cheers and good brewing All!

Pezzza

• Like 6

Friday night, I had a couple of beers out of the tap but due to this weather I was forced to open my second to last bottle of Stout.

I think we all know how satisfying it is on a cold night but I can tell you it is very satisfying. 

Even though Summer is approaching I think I will get another batch going. 

Cheers & Beers.

20221014_174427.thumb.jpg.14daa13af74a6738df9727a5f4ec08ab.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Friday night, I had a couple of beers out of the tap but due to this weather I was forced to open my second to last bottle of Stout.

I think we all know how satisfying it is on a cold night but I can tell you it is very satisfying. 

Even though Summer is approaching I think I will get another batch going. 

I have never ever brewed a stout.  Maybe I should try some commercial offerings and brew something similar and bottle up for next winter.  I now have access to about 12 doz Coopers original Stout long-neck bottles to use but running out of storage space so unsure if I should take on this responsibility.

Any AG stout recipe recommendations?  Anyone?  

• Like 2

Test samples of my 150 Lashes clone ver 1.0 tonight.  Only 3 days in the keg and I must say I am impressed. 

Sort of forgotten how good old US-05 yeasty boys are.  I will buy a couple of commercial bottles in next week or so and compare glass for glass but on initial tastings, this early in the keg, 150 lashes life is pretty damn close IMO.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, iBooz2 said:

I have never ever brewed a stout.  Maybe I should try some commercial offerings and brew something similar and bottle up for next winter.  I now have access to about 12 doz Coopers original Stout long-neck bottles to use but running out of storage space so unsure if I should take on this responsibility.

Yeah just make it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Hi AL, Modus Operandi Russian Imperial Stout.  Step through the posts to whet your appetite for this brew.  You will eventually reach the recipe.  Not really RIS at 8%.  But still a great brew.  These were great at 2 weeks and at 12 months.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi AL, Modus Operandi Russian Imperial Stout.  Step through the posts to whet your appetite for this brew.  You will eventually reach the recipe.  Not really RIS at 8%.  But still a great brew.  These were great at 2 weeks and at 12 months.

Thanks @Shamus O'Sean you are a champ.   I just wormed my way back through the threads and links to find your recipe, made a note of it and will order some of the inventory required soon.  I am not really a stout drinker but by the time the depths of next years winter gets into my bones I may just change my mind.  Thanks again - cheers.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Stickers said:

did a kegland lager fwk, 2 weeks with lally diamond lager yeast and a 3 day dry hop with 50g of hallertau mittelfrau and damn this is good

Yeah Stickers @Stickers, isn't it just -$31.00 I'll give it a crack with the DL. I've been using the lager base with 11g Lalllemand BRY-97 Yeast Sachet to make the True Blue bitter ale.....it's a great little beer. Very drinkable! I'll also give your dry hop a crack as well.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Yeah Stickers @Stickers, isn't it just -$31.00 I'll give it a crack with the DL. I've been using the lager base with 11g Lalllemand BRY-97 Yeast Sachet to make the True Blue bitter ale.....it's a great little beer. Very drinkable! I'll also give your dry hop a crack as well.

i've done three of the lager base ones now and they are just pure value aren't they. currently got their neipa going but i've (also) used bry-97 instead of the verdant it ships with. yet to decide what i'll dry hop it with though.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Stickers said:

i've done three of the lager base ones now and they are just pure value aren't they. currently got their neipa going but i've (also) used bry-97 instead of the verdant it ships with. yet to decide what i'll dry hop it with though.

Mate I've been using the Eclipse (100g) as a dry hop as recommended by them for the Cloud Nine Hazy Pale recipe. Goes really well mate - you won't be disappointed. I've just used Mosaic as an alternative and have to say not impressed. I'm sticking with the eclipse for now. Let us know what you add and if you like it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mickep said:

Those prices for FWK's are better than anything I can buy in Adelaide, Country Brewer want $73.00 & BrewMaker $55-65.

I may have to do a dummy order to see what shipping is to here.

• Like 1