Coopers Community

What Are You Drinking in 2022?

Pezzza

5 hours ago, oldbloke said:

I store all batches separate. Each cap gets a number.  As caps are single use the removal of labels is not required.

Each batch gets a label. 

I have a register/list of each batch I have made that matches the number system.

I do a similar thing on my one use crown seal caps as @oldbloke but use those coloured dot labels from Officeworks which I had left over from my business, different colour for each batch. and they are used in a particular sequence.   When I run out of coloured dots may just do as old bloke does but with different colour marking pens.  I like to use the the colour code part as it provides me with instant recognition of the brew day specs as that same colour is on the brew day run sheet.

Stubbie cap labels - resized.png

• Like 7

I'm with @oldbloke on the Label thing.

Each batch goes on to a separate shelve, in the brew cupboard, with the Cap numbered with the batch number.

Only takes a minute to number each bottle, even if batches get mixed up, you always know which one it is based on the cap.

And I have a record of Each batch.

Simple

Logistics: I know storage is a problem for you @jennyss but if you can find a work around, more brews and more bottles.. fixes all problems. 

Example: my son built a "Bookshelf" to house his home brew, across a wall.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

@jennyss You'll work out what works best for you but just to give you some food for thought: I use PET bottles and also only label the carton. In conjunction with this I also use a free app called BrewTracker to record the recipes. Hence the numbers 70, 74, 78 on the boxes in the photo.

I also bought a white liquid chalk pen for about $3 that I use to write the brew number on bottles or caps and my PET kegs if I need to. The liquid chalk wipes off so it can be fallible but it's reasonably effective.

IMG20221012093952.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, jennyss said:

@JoeB7, Please explain!

Hi Jenny, the attached is rather technical but I think he is referring to Yeast Nutrient, an addition to speed up the process put simply.

I use it often without issue.

What Are the Roles of Enzymes in Yeast Fermentation?

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am down to my second to last bottle of my Dark Ale (I have been too generous with my neighbours) it really is a satisfying drink, I had to pour very slowly as it has been in the bottle for a while & I think it has peaked. It has dropped to 13c down at the Bay but I will be strong & save the other one for tomorrow night.

20221012_162539.thumb.jpg.38efe589b1a61545fa981b34c3c97532.jpg

• Like 9

12 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Hi Jenny, the attached is rather technical but I think he is referring to Yeast Nutrient, an addition to speed up the process put simply.

@Classic Brewing Co NQR.  - Added enzymes are put into a brew in order to to break down some of the un-fermentable sugars that normal yeast cannot convert so hence gives them a lot more available sugars to convert in the end which produces a much lower final gravity and higher ABV albeit also a much more "drier" beer.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2022 at 6:04 PM, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Even Elmer the elephant wants some

@Brauhaus Fritz Did you thieve our book?  I did not see that it was missing... but it was from quite a few years ago now so maybe it has found its way into your kiddler's possession BF 😆

If such activities are still current and not an anachronism I can also recommend "Lotties New Beach Towel" 🙂

image.png.01fa70c802d71dc0bbe3859bb55bd4e8.png

• Haha 4

On 10/6/2022 at 5:54 PM, beach_life said:

does it???

Not really needed in beer, more so in cider and mead and wine

Yeah if needed anywhere I would suspect less so in AG... especially my grumbly old Wort with no Whirlfloc and fulla lovely malted grain gunk that the yeasty beasties love... they go off like a frog-in-a-sock most of the time and I have never ever used yeast nutrient... but it might be a good use of old yeast rather than tossing it out? But each to their own.  I kinda suspect that good ol rainwater with a bit of Nitro and Phos in it from the Birdshitttt on the roof probably helps the yeasties too... 🥳

And certainly the lack of Chlorine.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 10/10/2022 at 4:30 PM, Pale Man said:

Good malty beer. The German in me comes out when I partake in a glass. It's October so why not a big Stein of home brew Pilsner. All I need is a plate of hock, bratwurst and sauerkraut.

Yep.  Yer got it all organised @Pale Man mmmm yummmy and maybe as well, a Brez'n w a tickle of butter on the bits yer break off.... : )

image.png.343c600a9408bded5f79513a30859210.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/12/2022 at 10:47 AM, Classic Brewing Co said:

I understood it helped the yeast "eat" by breaking the sugars down. But I think it's carried over to bottling. Used regular priming measure but the head seems to get worse with bottle aging.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Struth Toner I didn't think we were that far apart, it's bloody cold here & rain on & off all day, Pils looks good too.

Yeah, Toner was taking the pi$$ as it been pi$$ing down here locally for two days now.  I am at least getting my revenge on that by turning at least some of this rain into AG beer ha ha.😉  Drowning not waving.

Good the hear you and family are OK there @Tone boy .  There has been and will be a lot of run off from your local hills.   Anytime is a good time for a nice Pilsner.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, JoeB7 said:

I understood it helped the yeast "eat" by breaking the sugars down. But I think it's carried over to bottling. Used regular priming measure but the head seems to get worse with bottle aging.

@JoeB7 did you let the brew get to FG and definitely at FG before bottling?

• Like 2