Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time 2021.

Pale Man

3 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Thanks Muzzy.  But I must say, I am not that good.  I charge him for the ingredients.  I don't charge for my time because I love the process of brewing.  He fuels my hobby and I get to brew another beer, and keep a few sneaky bottles myself.  Hearing his positive feedback about my beers is a great reward too. 

This also explains a lot. I think I drink a fair amount and I do. I was always curious how Shamus made (and drank) so many beers. I guess if you're not consuming all of your production it'd increase your turnover of brews made.
It's always nice to get honest feedback, preferably positive feedback.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Hey Guys,

I was thinking of getting this, any thoughts, it's not much to spend. Cheers.

HOME MADE KEGARATOR.jpg

Phil,  the issues  with this style  keezer to say a front door  bar fridge  is you are going to be consistly lifting  kegs up and over  , thats what turns me off them.

having said that  you could easily fit 2 19l kegs and you probably could have 2 10l kegs in there as well..

if its at good price and works great go for it mate

is it coming with any kegs?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

Phil,  the issues  with this style  keezer to say a front door  bar fridge  is you are going to be consistly lifting  kegs up and over  , thats what turns me off them.

having said that  you could easily fit 2 19l kegs and you probably could have 2 10l kegs in there as well..

if its at good price and works great go for it mate

is it coming with any kegs?

He only wants $25.00 for it but I wouldn't expect to get anything else, when he calls me back I will know a bit more. It would be a good starting point if the thing works !

I will only buy it I see it running & if I did get it probably go in the outside bar. 

7 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

He only wants $25.00 for it but I wouldn't expect to get anything else, when he calls me back I will know a bit more. It would be a good starting point if the thing works !

I will only buy it I see it running & if I did get it probably go in the outside bar. 

If $25 is all he wants grab it as the hardware aloneis worth more than that. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

$25  bucks   its a steel if ya getting the inkbird as well

does it come with  2 taps as isee in the pic it has a 2nd hole  drilled out for a 2nd tap?

He still hasn't rang but I assume what you see is what you get, however it looks like it is in pretty good shape & I think it will clean up nicely.

• Like 1

The keezer style can be a pain loading kegs in & out, as I have a keezer plus a fridge for kegs.

‘But for that price @CLASSIC its a steal.

Maybe get one of these which I have, a small 240V hoist, $130 from Bunnings, lifting sling $12 from there also, saves my back I tell you.

0EBE34E3-BADB-4715-9864-C92AF5CD9B9A.jpeg

9B25A85D-6539-4163-A9F6-6C0306D6FA10.jpeg

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

The keezer style can be a pain loading kegs in & out, as I have a keezer plus a fridge for kegs.

‘But for that price @CLASSIC its a steal.

Maybe get one of these which I have, a small 240V hoist, $130 from Bunnings, lifting sling $12 from there also, saves my back I tell you.

0EBE34E3-BADB-4715-9864-C92AF5CD9B9A.jpeg

9B25A85D-6539-4163-A9F6-6C0306D6FA10.jpeg

Interesting, that looks awesome, I just found this in his seller description - may not be suitable. When he calls me back I will quiz him a bit more on details.

I am liking the idea of buying a new Kegerator better.

Home made kegarator.

Mainly used to control my brews when fermenting as it struggles to pull down below 4 deg. Ideal for someone who just wants to control their brews or repair and set up as kegarator.

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Interesting, that looks awesome, I just found this in his seller description - may not be suitable. When he calls me back I will quiz him a bit more on details.

I am liking the idea of buying a new Kegerator better.

Home made kegarator.

Mainly used to control my brews when fermenting as it struggles to pull down below 4 deg. Ideal for someone who just wants to control their brews or repair and set up as kegarator.

I have a 2 tap Kegerator also @CLASSIC, holds 3 kegs so I keep one at the back just maturing until it’s needed. 
‘In the end a fridge or Kegerator is better on the old back, no doubt about it.

Im on the lookout for a 500L 2nd hand fridge or an all fridge I can convert with possibly 6 taps, then I will sell the Kegerator to my brother who is keen. 
Owning both a Kegerator & keezer, Kegerator for loading & unloading kegs is easier, temp wise, the keezer holds a steadier temperature IMO.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

Maybe get one of these which I have, a small 240V hoist

Magic set up Reddler!  A truly beautiful thing mate!

And yeah @CLASSIC Phil I would echo sentiments above - can be a buggger to lift kegs in - but an inky alone is like over $40... hopefully it is all working... 

• Like 1

Just revisiting this one ( cant find anything anywhere ). I want to naturally carb a keg with a heavy stout, with the ultimate dream of saving it for next winter.

What are thoughts on how much sugar to prime the keg with for secondary fermentation in the keg??

41 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Awesome. Would you gas up the keg first as normal or just treat it like a large bottle?

Presuming you CC'd, so just add the carb sugar to the keg, fill it and seal it. If you want to purge you can (just to be sure, to be sure, begorrah! 😄 ) but CO2 added now will not change much because the keg will come to ambient (or the sugar will not work) so might as well let the yeast chew up the O2. 

Note when you put the keg online and chill, you will need to bring it up to serving pressure anyway as the CO2 will all go into solution and is unlikely to be enough to carb the beer properly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Journeyman said:

Presuming you CC'd, so just add the carb sugar to the keg, fill it and seal it. If you want to purge you can (just to be sure, to be sure, begorrah! 😄 ) but CO2 added now will not change much because the keg will come to ambient (or the sugar will not work) so might as well let the yeast chew up the O2. 

Note when you put the keg online and chill, you will need to bring it up to serving pressure anyway as the CO2 will all go into solution and is unlikely to be enough to carb the beer properly.

Excellent, thanks. Everything i need.

5 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Just revisiting this one ( cant find anything anywhere ). I want to naturally carb a keg with a heavy stout, with the ultimate dream of saving it for next winter.

What are thoughts on how much sugar to prime the keg with for secondary fermentation in the keg??

Secondary Carb the ol Coopers @PB2 always said for 18L use half a cup of sugar... and I cannot say otherwise - is good.

Do not when you fill the keg - purge the atmosphere.

That is a bad idea.

There is oxygen up there that the secondary ferment need to kick off.

Fill as normal with no worries about anoxic conditions... add yer half a cup of sugar... shut the lid.  Keg above 18 deg for two weeks I give it five... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Graubart said:

Secondary Carb the ol Coopers @PB2 always said for 18L use half a cup of sugar... and I cannot say otherwise - is good.

Do not when you fill the keg - purge the atmosphere.

That is a bad idea.

There is oxygen up there that the secondary ferment need to kick off.

Fill as normal with no worries about anoxic conditions... add yer half a cup of sugar... shut the lid.  Keg above 18 deg for two weeks I give it five... 

Cheers for that good info👍 considering you need Oxygen when you do the main ferment for yeast health.

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Graubart said:

Hey JMan do you routinely do secondary ferment in your kegs.... so no hassles about having to gas up?  

Not regularly but done it a few times. I've actually been considering doing it more often as I liked the product. And at the Club I drink Pale or XPA so clearly have no issues with a bit of sediment - at times those need to be served with a spoon. 😄

The test I did of natural versus CO2 carbed, the natural was a better beer until about 4 weeks into the kegs when the gas keg finally caught up in drinkability - at least as far as I could tell. I kept meaning to do a side-by-side glass comparison to be more sure but never got to it, so maybe it was never quite as good as the natural carb one. 😄 

But up till that point the natural carb was more drinkable IMO.

• Haha 1

i'm getting a 90s era fridge this weekend that's already been setup to be a kegerator so i'll probably have a million questions for this thread this week. my first being.. is it worth getting an inkbird for it?

6 hours ago, Stickers said:

is it worth getting an inkbird for it?

Don't know.  But probably not.  The Inkbird will get you into a narrow temperature band.  The fridge should get you into pretty good beer drinking temperature without much issue. 

• Like 1