Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time 2021.

Pale Man

20 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

Is that what they call a Cornelius keg ? as I am looking at a few on Gumtree. 19litres I presume, I think I should start & buy some if they are any good.

Hi Phil, Yep, that's a Cornelius keg.  19 litres.

I actually bought 5 more today.  Secondhand, but in excellent condition.  $60 each.  One is an actual Cornelius, Inc. stamped keg.

The brew on Kegging Day was one of my Bright Idea Hazy XPA's

2 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi Phil, Yep, that's a Cornelius keg.  19 litres.

I actually bought 5 more today.  Secondhand, but in excellent condition.  $60 each.  One is an actual Cornelius, Inc. stamped keg.

The brew on Kegging Day was one of my Bright Idea Hazy XPA's

OK, Cheers, thanks for that, I saw 5 advertised for $50 each but without knowing the things to look out for I was a bit hesitant, maybe I will go & have a closer look or just take a chance.

8 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

OK, Cheers, thanks for that, I saw 5 advertised for $50 each but without knowing the things to look out for I was a bit hesitant, maybe I will go & have a closer look or just take a chance.

I am no expert, Phil.  If they look in pretty good condition then you should be fairly okay. 

• The main thing is; do they hold pressure.  You could ask the seller to comment on this.  You could bring a spray bottle of starsan/stellar san or similar, ask them to pressurise the keg.  Then spray around the posts and over the lid and look for any tell-tale bubbling/fizzing. 
  • Check inside that they have a long dip tube and a short one for gas.  One I got a while ago did not have the long tube, so I had to buy one.  Pretty cheap though.
  • Check inside for cleanliness.  Although most stuff can be cleaned away.
  • Seals can be cheaply replaced.
  • Look at the condition of the posts.  I had one with a big gouge in it.  It might not have been a problem, but I decided to replace it anyway.
  • I would be a bit sus if the rubber handles or bases were badly damaged.  The keg might be fine, but lifting them with dodgy handles is not easy.

The other folks on the Forum might chip in on other things to look out for.

• Thanks 1

@CLASSIC   also check the weld seams   if the have rust of any sort as this may lead to some underlying conditions such as tiny pin hole leaks
or corrosion  

i think with any second hand keg you buy from gumtree or market place buy swap and sell sight  as Shamus stated  replacing all the obvious  things 
like  posts on the keg   

if the posts are ok on the outside   look fine  then just replace the insides of the post   with new poppet and springs and o rings

replace the lid  seal    

Also you could even get away with removing the long dip tube and replacing that with a floating diptube  this will be benifical as you will draw beer from the top of the keg instead 
of the bottom   and you wont get anything sucked up  until you rech the bottom of the keg..

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I am no expert, Phil.  If they look in pretty good condition then you should be fairly okay. 

• The main thing is; do they hold pressure.  You could ask the seller to comment on this.  You could bring a spray bottle of starsan/stellar san or similar, ask them to pressurise the keg.  Then spray around the posts and over the lid and look for any tell-tale bubbling/fizzing. 
  • Check inside that they have a long dip tube and a short one for gas.  One I got a while ago did not have the long tube, so I had to buy one.  Pretty cheap though.
  • Check inside for cleanliness.  Although most stuff can be cleaned away.
  • Seals can be cheaply replaced.
  • Look at the condition of the posts.  I had one with a big gouge in it.  It might not have been a problem, but I decided to replace it anyway.
  • I would be a bit sus if the rubber handles or bases were badly damaged.  The keg might be fine, but lifting them with dodgy handles is not easy.

The other folks on the Forum might chip in on other things to look out for.

Thanks for your input Shamus, all that stuff is worth knowing.

Cheers.

1 hour ago, ozdevil said:

@CLASSIC   also check the weld seams   if the have rust of any sort as this may lead to some underlying conditions such as tiny pin hole leaks
or corrosion  

i think with any second hand keg you buy from gumtree or market place buy swap and sell sight  as Shamus stated  replacing all the obvious  things 
like  posts on the keg   

if the posts are ok on the outside   look fine  then just replace the insides of the post   with new poppet and springs and o rings

replace the lid  seal    

Also you could even get away with removing the long dip tube and replacing that with a floating diptube  this will be benifical as you will draw beer from the top of the keg instead 
of the bottom   and you wont get anything sucked up  until you rech the bottom of the keg..

All sounds a bit technical however helpful, Cheers for that.

Now, another matter, are we to to assume your new profile picture is to be permanent ? 

That ugly. awful. grisly. grotesque. hideous. horrid. unseemly. unsightly. animal head thing was enough to put you off your beer. ( well nearly )

😬😆

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

All sounds a bit technical however helpful, Cheers for that.

Now, another matter, are we to to assume your new profile picture is to be permanent ? 

That ugly. awful. grisly. grotesque. hideous. horrid. unseemly. unsightly. animal head thing was enough to put you off your beer. ( well nearly )

😬😆

yes that ugly mug has gone to full retirement mode   as i got sick of the sight of it myself lol

At this stage that profil pic is here to stay for awhile..

• Haha 1

two improvements i want to make to my inherited twin keg setup

1) it's currently setup for pinlock on both lines and i have two kegs. i was thinking of changing one line over to ball lock as it seems a better system to buy extra kegs and spare parts for. this looks like a fairly easy task, i should just need to swap over the disconnects to the other type yeah

2) i need a drip tray. i see that kegland sell a screw in type tray that can be mounted on the fridge door. is it safe to literally screw this in to the door of a 90s era fridge?

kl01397_-_door_mounted_drip_trays_40cm_.png.ce28f7bb6bc1b2106958d1ab290a6b82.png

45 minutes ago, Stickers said:

is it safe to literally screw this in to the door of a 90s era fridge?

1 minute ago, jamiek86 said:

@Stickers I'd say go for it the old ones were the tough ones.

Yeah am no expert - but would hope there would be no gas lines running in the door - you there @Red devil 44 Red the kegging and gas King - any thoughts?

@Stickers  Stickers mate I would hope no gas in the door more in the back and maybe the sides 🤔... that is a big problem for drilling holes in fridges...

My only other worry is that the sheet metal might not be that strong so that the screws if you tech-screwed it in might eventually just give way if the weight of the tray was a bit much for the strength of the sheet metal to hold onto the screws if you get what I mean?  But mate there will be swags of better qualified and experienced brewers out there somewhere...

I just got a chest freezer and keep me beer lines and guns under the lid - did not end up altering it all... it is not real flash but seems to work ok... but you hafta lift the lid to pour.

after tipping the too sweet EB partial mash at start of week or when ever it was. Finally the Euro lager back left has some company 86 day pils and 17 litres of mr beer north west with 30 gram galaxy dry hop.

20210528_162009.jpg

Edited by jamiek86
  • Like 3

the bottle of c02 i got with my fridge has run out.. and probably a few days before i can arrange a new supply. i only started pressurising one keg on the weekend and have the other about 20% full. am i safe to keep these pretty much off the gas for a few days and then regas them in a few days time?

On 5/28/2021 at 4:03 PM, jamiek86 said:

after tipping the too sweet EB partial mash at start of week or when ever it was. Finally the Euro lager back left has some company 86 day pils and 17 litres of mr beer north west with 30 gram galaxy dry hop.

20210528_162009.jpg

Hey Jamie is your unit a series X & does it take 4 x 19l kegs ? I assume you have at least a 3 Font.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Hey Jamie is your unit a series X & does it take 4 x 19l kegs ? I assume you have at least a 3 Font.

That looks like a series x that fits the 4x19litre kegs

@Jamiek86  a bit of advice  that big white tube coming out of that fan shove that up ya font
also  what i did with 4 font is put some insulation material inside the font to stop condensation
and to help keep the lines nice and cool...    old stubbies do the trick there

Edited by ozdevil

1 hour ago, CLASSIC said:

yes its a series x takes 4 kegs and no it's only a 2 font plenty enough for me at moment. Don't know many people who like taste of home brew so for myself it's fine. I usually try to have one lager/pilsner and one ale gassed and ready at a time so can choose what I want depending on mood of day.

1 hour ago, ozdevil said:

That looks like a series x that fits the 4x19litre kegs

@Jamiek86  a bit of advice  that big white tube coming out of that fan shove that up ya font
also  what i did with 4 font is put some insulation material inside the font to stop condensation
and to help keep the lines nice and cool...    old stubbies do the trick there

yes mate it usually is up there but had been mucking around with air lines etc and came out. I got lucky and the 2 font came with insulation already 😀

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

yes mate it usually is up there but had been mucking around with air lines etc and came out. I got lucky and the 2 font came with insulation already 😀

Mine came with some insulation as well but I still cut a circle of foam from the box to use as insulation for under the font lid 🥶 

1 hour ago, RDT2 said:

Mine came with some insulation as well but I still cut a circle of foam from the box to use as insulation for under the font lid 🥶 

thats the only thing I have left to do is the lid but save it for summer ok.this time year

5 hours ago, Stickers said:

the bottle of c02 i got with my fridge has run out.. and probably a few days before i can arrange a new supply. i only started pressurising one keg on the weekend and have the other about 20% full. am i safe to keep these pretty much off the gas for a few days and then regas them in a few days time?

It's perfectly fine Stickers.  Leave the gas that's in them.  I usually do not have a spare spot in the kegerator when I keg a beer.  I gas the keg up to 12-15 psi and leave it.

• Thanks 1