Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time 2021.

Pale Man

5 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi Phil, Just chucking in my two bobs worth.  I have a Grainfather 30L and am pretty happy with it.  Although it was not available when I made the jump to AG, I now wish I had got the Guten 70L system.

I am now doing periodic kegs for my brother and would like extend that offer to my brother-in-law.  However, I could not keep up with supply just with the Grainfather.  It is basically, one keg at a time.

The Guten 70L would produce 3 kegs of beer in a similar time to what takes the Grainfather to produce 1 keg.

What I am saying is think a bit about the future.  You can often build up a system, buying as you expand.  But you might find that the smaller components, bought earlier, become redundant if you grow.

Hi Shamus that makes very good sense & I saw some of the Grainfather stuff yesterday at Brewcraft the G30 30L model & bigger & as you say you can build to the system adding as you want ( or can afford ). I am not discounting the idea just want to make sure I cover it properly.

Thanks for you input.

14 hours ago, Green Blob said:

No sarcasm at all. My beers carb overnight when gassed from the top. 

Just asking why it is better

The gas travels through the liquid column (flat beer) from the base of the liquid offtake tube and may hence through mixing increase CO2 going into solution all other variables being equal.  The time it travels through the liquid would be short, hence the differences may be marginal.  I have not done it, however, given the difficulty of gassing Nitro Beergas creamy top beers (Nitro being a lazy gas @Red devil 44 Reddlery hey?!) and getting the gas blend to go into solution, I now have obtained a fancy lid with tube and sintered stainless steel diffuser - which will hang in the liquid column close to the bottom.  Well that's all the theory - we shall see if a difference is made. 

There are also stories about people rolling kegs around - and a very long time ago I aided a colleague doing so - to gas up some home brew.   Again it is a matter of mixing and the CO@ in gas phase with beer liquid phase interaction.  If just gas on top of the liquid column - there is only the surface area junction of the flat beer surface - and then I guess after that you depend upon the rate of diffusion down into the greater beer liquid column.  Hence mixing may assist that process in terms of rate.

Anyway... there is some gas-liquid-solution-partial-pressure-theory there somewhere and am happy to be corrected by those "in the know".

I believe also @Green Blob Blobber you put your fresh beer on at about 1,000PSI overnight too 😋   

(Well 60PSI then haha... which is a fair old whack 😝)

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

OK @John E Miller  I have been to 2 fairly big LHBS in Adelaide in the last 2 days, the round up is it is going to cost around $1,200.00 to do it properly, I don't have a problem with that.

Have a chat with CheekyPeakBrewery - even if only to get comparative pricing. They have been setting up AG'ers for a long time and run their own brewery as well. Good folks...

15 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

It gasses the beer better from bottom sometimes if not pushed down properly it comes out a little bit but i did over gas one purging it once a day as suggested by someone. Now i just let it sit for first few days and purge couple of times before put back on in post.

I have one of these I use if supply is getting low and I want a keg sooner. Works great.

New Carbonation Keg Lid - Fits 19L New & Used Keg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Journeyman said:

Have a chat with CheekyPeakBrewery - even if only to get comparative pricing. They have been setting up AG'ers for a long time and run their own brewery as well. Good folks...

Alright Cheers for that, I will. 

Just a thought anyone heard from @iBooz2 ?  Haven't seen him on here for a while>

17 minutes ago, Green Blob said:

How much faster does it carb?

Depends on the PSI. What I do is turn off all the other lines and boost it to 30psi, turn off the gas, open the other lines and put it back on serving pressure.

The difference is, without it, maybe a 5 second gurgle of gas going into the keg, with it, more like 10 - 15 secs before I no longer hear the gas.

Edited by Journeyman
  • Like 1

On 3/12/2021 at 5:55 PM, jamiek86 said:

Heaps of people attach the gas to out post to make it gas better how did the beer come out?

Ok actually. The only reason I found out was I hooked the tap on and nothing came out but the other started pulling beer through the gas line. Thank goodness for the non return valve on the bottle!

Edited by NewBrews

Got a Hoppy pale and an IPA I kegged over a week ago so ready to go......... me? Laying in a hospital bed after emergency surgery. And won’t be able to have a beer for around 2 weeks due to recovery time. 
FML

However have 4 cubes ready to ferment when needed. 

Edited by The Captain!!
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

Got a Hoppy pale and an IPA I kegged over a week ago so ready to go......... me? Laying in a hospital bed after emergency surgery. And won’t be able to have a beer for around 2 weeks due to recovery time. 
FML

However have 4 cubes ready to ferment when needed. 

Hope you recover well, but at least you have some brews sitting waiting for when you want them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello guys and gal's have noticed my pressure in kegs isn't as strong now as was after full co2 bottle. I think even though needle barely changed It might be nearing end of the bottle and poring pressure is a little less. Is this a normal thing? still has gas if purge or turn it up bet seems less if pouring from 12 or 14 psi than it was at start. Probably on my 8th keg I wasted a bit at start playing around with it and also cleaning lines using empty kegs. I plan on getting at least 10 from future bottles. 2.6 kg on back keggerator.

Edited by jamiek86

1 hour ago, jamiek86 said:

help from keggers please see above about gas bottle and keg.

I think you might be running out of gas mate... I had thing with my Nitro beergas like that recently - there was gas in there - but no oomph...

The Gas Guru is King Reddler - you there @Red devil 44 - or are you off in some distant part of Aussie training the new generation in Gas Matters? 😜

I think you helped me Red with similar issue - and at the end of the day - cylinder near to empty.  Can you help with the above issue at all @Red devil 44 Red?

Guess @jamiek86 next time weigh empty gas cylinder - weigh full one - and you will know fer sher!?

1 hour ago, jamiek86 said:

@Journeyman @Shamus O'Sean @Graubart help from keggers please see above about gas bottle and keg.

duotights/john guest fittings or clamped?

if you havent cut your  ends of gas or beer line straight  as a die  this can lead in alsorts of dramas with duotights and john guest fittings

i'm about to go to clamping   the lines again  rather then duotights as  twice now i have lost beer to the floor due to the duotight fittings

and  have done so with gas as well

• Like 1