Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time 2021.

Pale Man

11 hours ago, MUZZY said:

After reading some of the previous comments I now feel completely comfortable in my choice not to do kegs. I still secretly want a keg system (I guess writing it here doesn't make it very secret) but it would do my head in if things didn't go smoothly.

I've just started kegging Muzz. I've yet to get the beer lines right, and I only have one fridge available but have discovered a recipe that requires quite a cold crashing, so I'm a bit b*ggered if I want to keep the kegs cold and the FV cold - it'll be one or the other. Can't negociate with SWMBO for another fridge at the moment either....

Bottling is a pain but it is quite handy if you want to keep some of them and try them over time. That mainly is appropriate with stronger brews.

I just bottled a 23l batch of Steam Beer: took me 68 stubbies 🤨 I sanitized the bottles a few days ago (about 30 minutes) and an hour to bottle the lot. Often I put it off for a few days because I can't be a*sed. The upside to my sloth is that the beer tends to clear up whilst I'm making my mind up, so every cloud has a silver lining 😃

Having said that, if I had to choose between kegging and AG BIAB (I started both at the same time), I would opt for BIAB first.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, stquinto said:

I only have one fridge available

When I lived in the UK and Germany during a working holiday, in winter our second fridge, that is if you had a first fridge, was outside in the open and it worked well. However you didn't want to forget and leave stuff overnight particularly in Germany as it would all be frozen solid the next morning.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Pickles Jones said:

When I lived in the UK and Germany during a working holiday, in winter our second fridge, that is if you had a first fridge, was outside in the open and it worked well. However you didn't want to forget and leave stuff overnight particularly in Germany as it would all be frozen solid the next morning.

Could be an option.... if you left it out in the UK some passer-by would probably p*ss in it out of devilment: in Switzerland or Germany you're right, probably freeze.

I can get one corny and the keg king junior in the fridge at the same time, so not too bad. 

• Like 1

@Shamus O'Sean  Kegged up my CIPA Collaboration Australian Pale Ale today.  Must say the smell and the taste is superb even though un-carbed but it was cold crashed (just had to take a sample sip, well ok you got me, a sample glass).  Keg is being forced carbed as I type because cannot wait to get stuck into this one.  Will post a pic when its ready to go and cleared up a bit.

Might even knock @ozdevil's USPA off its high perch for a favorite do again beer.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Kegged up my CIPA Collaboration Australian Pale Ale today. 

Nice Boozer.  I want to get my version brewed at some point too.  I was thinking of dropping the sugar addition, and instead, mashing lower to increase fermentability.  What @disgruntled said about Coopers being unlikely to use sugar in their commercial version made sense.  What did you end up going with?

By the way, I finished the last bottle of my ROTM brew of the Coopers Australian IPA last night.  It still tasted fine 5 1/2 months in the bottle.

• Like 1