Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time 2021.

Pale Man

43 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

mate take ya time and enjoy the process on this  let it carb up the longway and let it mature a bit for the 1st one

No worries, just a question, I have another AG I brewed yesterday in a cube, has cooled down, sitting nicely.

‘How long can I leave before fermenting ? Would probably be only a week or so it will sit in the cube ? 

Edited by Red devil 44

13 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

No worries, just a question, I have another AG I brewed yesterday in a cube, has cooled down, sitting nicely.

‘How long can I leave before fermenting ? Would probably be only a week or so it will sit in the cube ? 

A week is fine. 

I've try to keep a stockpile and roll through them. Some are several months old at the moment and I've done them after 6 months. No problems after a number of years doing this.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Popo said:

A week is fine. 

I've try to keep a stockpile and roll through them. Some are several months old at the moment and I've done them after 6 months. No problems after a number of years doing this.

Cheers @Popo, I thought that was the case. 
‘It’s sitting in my workshop at a nice 21-22 degrees, so will leave it there for now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kmar92 said:

I would think that in effect, a cubed wort is just the same as a FWK, so long as there is not a great amount of air in the cube. FWK's seem to have a shelf life of at least 12 months.

Filled to the brim mate, no O2 or air locks in there that I can see. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

mate its now basicly a fresh wort kit   ,  obviously the quicker  the better to ferment but you could leave for months if you wanted to,  as long as its airtight  and kept at good temp and out of light

a week in your case is fine

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Anyone using these new type dis connects yet. just got myself enough for 4 kegs. Nice and compact and way easier to clean.

dis connects.PNG

mate for plastic they are good  specially if you want to stack  kegs on each other

i prefer my stainless steel disconnects

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Anyone using these new type dis connects yet. just got myself enough for 4 kegs. Nice and compact and way easier to clean.

dis connects.PNG

I am not using them, but I have seen them advertised.  For me the jury is still out.  They look a bit small for getting leverage into them.  I am a bit concerned that because they are small, getting them on and off might put pressure on the line into the duotight fitting. 

My brother-in-law wants to get into kegging and I recommended the regular plastic disconnects.  I was more comfortable to suggest he go with the tried and true design than this new design, if they turn out to be problematic.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I am not using them, but I have seen them advertised.  For me the jury is still out.  They look a bit small for getting leverage into them.  I am a bit concerned that because they are small, getting them on and off might put pressure on the line into the duotight fitting. 

My brother-in-law wants to get into kegging and I recommended the regular plastic disconnects.  I was more comfortable to suggest he go with the tried and true design than this new design, if they turn out to be problematic.

why do you want to put leverage onto them they are not designed for leverage

also that wouldnt matter with the old style disconnects or stainless disconnects with  duotights to be honest.

i still like the old style stainless disconnects with duotight fittings

but you should never have to use leverage on them no matter the fitting

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Bit of food grade lube, pop on and off very nicely. No leverage needed as @ozdevilmentioned.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Kegged the Royal Lager, (my Crown Lager clone) this afternoon.  Got 2 very full kegs and some stubbies for travellers.  Tomorrow I will have to work out a way of harvesting the W-34/70 yeast cake out of the big 58 L Kegmenter.  Once that is accomplished then it will be a good clean out, soak in SP and then re-sanitised ready for the next big batch of lager.

Kegging the Royal Lager - resized.jpg

• Like 5

On 10/15/2021 at 8:11 PM, Pale Man said:

dis connects.PNG

I have some but so far haven't used them in "production". I have one connected to the extra gas bottle I use for pushing solution and sanitiser out of kegs when cleaning them outside. no issues so far but we'll see. They're nice and compact though.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Royal Lager

Hi IB2, You have posted about this brew a few times, but I could not find your recipe.  Would you please put it up.  I am interested to give it a try at some stage.  Unfortunately, or otherwise, I have about 10 brews lined up at the moment, so it could be a while before I get around to brewing it though.

@Shamus O'Sean It was in the brew day thread but thought it a bit obscure when I went back to look for it so will drop it in here again for you.  No biggie secret wise, just a tarted up Coopers recipe of the same name.  Now if I could get my hands on some of the Eclipse hops I am missing,  I am busting to do a couple of batches of the CIPA recipe we chatted about.  Be nice to have these on tap over summer holiday time.  Hopefully the OZDEVIL American Pale Ale I did turns out ok so either of these will sip nicely I reckon.

Anyway here it is again.

Royal Lager (Crown Lager) partial mash, a double keg batch in order to use up two “just out of date” Coopers cans of Golden Crown Lager and some excess stock of Hallertau Mittelfrueh hops.  It is a big lean on the Coopers Recipe of the same name.  I just tarted it up a bit.

Batch # 62 - AG Batch #21

Volume: 44 L

Estimated specs:  OG = 1.052, FG = 1.014, ABV = 5.0%, EBC = 9.7, IBU = 25.5, BU:GU = 0.503

Kit cans: 2 x Coopers Golden Crown Lager 1.7 kg

Grains: Floor malted Bohemian Pilsner malt (WEY) = 3.00 kg, VIC ale malt (BB) = 3.00 kg,

Mash schedule: AR = 50 C for 10”, 65 C for 60”, MO = 78 C for 10’

Boil: 70” to rid DMS

Whirlfloc granules: 1.0 g for 5”

Hops schedule: 20 g x Hallertau Mittelfrueh (4.0%) for 5”, 30 g x Hallertau Mittelfrueh (4.0%) WP for 15”

Yeast: Recycled W-34/70 from double batch of Leigh’s Lager batch #61

Pressure ferment commenced at 12.5 psi at 18 C

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

Kegged my Hoegaarden Clone 2.0 on Wednesday.  It was meant to be done late last week, but I injured my back and could barely lift a beer glass, let alone a fermenter.  This one ended up being cold crashed for over a week.  As a result, nowhere near as cloudy as my previous version.  I have also dubbed it Aussie Hoegaarden on account of the main bittering hop being Pride of Ringwood ('cause it was what I had).  I also increased the Coriander seed additions for this one because it came in 25g packets from the supermarket, instead of 20g packets.

Also got 7 longnecks worth.  I am keeping those and giving (for the cost of the ingredients) the keg to my brother.

Getting ready to package:

IMG_2657.JPG.94f1b5ab60348483537afc656727a69c.JPG

• Like 7

On 11/26/2021 at 9:56 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Kegged my Hoegaarden Clone 2.0 on Wednesday.  It was meant to be done late last week, but I injured my back and could barely lift a beer glass, let alone a fermenter.  This one ended up being cold crashed for over a week.  As a result, nowhere near as cloudy as my previous version.  I have also dubbed it Aussie Hoegaarden on account of the main bittering hop being Pride of Ringwood ('cause it was what I had).  I also increased the Coriander seed additions for this one because it came in 25g packets from the supermarket, instead of 20g packets.

Also got 7 longnecks worth.  I am keeping those and giving (for the cost of the ingredients) the keg to my brother.

Getting ready to package:

Looking good Shamus, good to see a Kegging guru bottling a few. 🍻

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stquinto said:

Made the mistake of showing SWMBO my handiwork… “you’re taking over the house with your bloody beer!”….. rookie mistake 😳

Whoop's 🙄 Should have waited until she asked what it was, you could have said, 'Oh that, a bloke at work was giving it away so I helped him out' 🤣 Looks awesome though mate, you are making me jealous. Cheers.

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Looking good Shamus, good to see a Kegging guru bottling a few. 🍻

I almost always bottle a few, Phil.  Especially when brewing a 23 litre batch to fill a keg for somebody else.  They pay for the ingredients and I figure the 6-7 bottles I keep are bonus payment for the time I spend on most of a Saturday doing their brew.  I like to think of it as win : win.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I almost always bottle a few, Phil.  Especially when brewing a 23 litre batch to fill a keg for somebody else.  They pay for the ingredients and I figure the 6-7 bottles I keep are bonus payment for the time I spend on most of a Saturday doing their brew.  I like to think of it as win : win.

Makes a lot of sense to me.  

• Like 3