Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time 2021.

Pale Man

19 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

I am slowly assessing the equipment I would need without being to elaborate & expensive, however I am aware of Gumtree/Ebay etc but I like my things new so a few visits to LBHS & compare prices & options. As soon as I clear my stocks of cans/BE/Malt etc I was going to try a couple of wort packs & get some gear to get into grain, so it may be sooner than I think.

Cheers.

You won't look back once you get kegs causing bottling sucks! 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

I totally understand as my nephew kegs as well as a couple of mates but I really enjoy the whole experience with extract but I spose it's time to get serious & venture into the world of AG.

Give it a go you don't need to spend a lot of money to make good AG beer. I started with a keggle, gas burner and BIAB. 

40 minutes ago, Hilltop hops said:

Give it a go you don't need to spend a lot of money to make good AG beer. I started with a keggle, gas burner and BIAB. 

Yeah well I am retired, plenty of time, it has got merit. I love experimenting & trying new methods so anything to increase the quality of our product is a good thing.

It can only get better as the say.

On 3/6/2021 at 4:19 PM, CLASSIC said:

I totally understand as my nephew kegs as well as a couple of mates but I really enjoy the whole experience with extract but I spose it's time to get serious & venture into the world of AG.

Time to get started with AG Phil!  

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, NewBrews said:

Kegged the Kolsch the other night into two 9.5l legs. One to drink now and one for about four weeks time. 
Some idiot put the gas in on the beer out post and created a keg to keg transfer 😂

that’s what you get for legging in the dark!

Heaps of people attach the gas to out post to make it gas better how did the beer come out?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John E Miller said:

Time to get started with AG Phil!  

OK @John E Miller  I have been to 2 fairly big LHBS in Adelaide in the last 2 days, the round up is it is going to cost around $1,200.00 to do it properly, I don't have a problem with that.

A lot of people would say Ebay/Gumtree/Secondhand etc but I am a new stuff freak & I like to know I am the first person to own stuff. Having said that I am not closing my mind to comments from other AG brewers & I am grateful for the direction & help. So I guess the rest is up to me. I appreciate your input & Cheers.

3 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Ha Ha are you sure you weren't Hissed up. 🤣

It gasses the beer better from bottom sometimes if not pushed down properly it comes out a little bit but i did over gas one purging it once a day as suggested by someone. Now i just let it sit for first few days and purge couple of times before put back on in post.

1 minute ago, jamiek86 said:

It gasses the beer better from bottom sometimes if not pushed down properly it comes out a little bit but i did over gas one purging it once a day as suggested by someone. Now i just let it sit for first few days and purge couple of times before put back on in post.

That's fair enough, I reckon you would know what you were doing. Cheers.

Just now, jamiek86 said:

not sure if being sarcastic or not only done it twice after advice from few people on here it's better than filling headspace at top and waiting for it to soak in. 

No sarcasm at all. My beers carb overnight when gassed from the top. 

Just asking why it is better

1 hour ago, CLASSIC said:

the round up is it is going to cost around $1,200.00 to do it properly, I don't have a problem with that.

I spent about $30 on my AG equipment (19L pot and brew bag), and I get by with that, but if I had a bit more money to throw around I would definitely love to get a nice system with lots of gadgets. 

I just mention this in case there is somebody who is holding back because they think the only way to make all grain is with hundreds or thousands worth of gear. 

For people like you though, spend the money at the start and I doubt you'll regret it.

19 minutes ago, John E Miller said:

I spent about $30 on my AG equipment (19L pot and brew bag), and I get by with that, but if I had a bit more money to throw around I would definitely love to get a nice system with lots of gadgets. 

I just mention this in case there is somebody who is holding back because they think the only way to make all grain is with hundreds or thousands worth of gear. 

For people like you though, spend the money at the start and I doubt you'll regret it.

How much grain do you squeeze into that pot? do you make small batches or higher gravity and water it down?

2 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

I have been to 2 fairly big LHBS in Adelaide in the last 2 days, the round up is it is going to cost around $1,200.00 to do it properly

They are having a lend. Maybe they are looking at 3V systems which can puh this, but can be done cheaper. BIAB is all grain and a 20-25l batch can be done with a 40l urn and bag - $200-$300 set up. Used this for many a year and good brews before the next step due to a burn out. Next step is brewzilla/guten systems at $4-500 but a bit more automated and recirc pump. Add in a mill and less than $700. Can skip the mill and get the LHBS to do it for a couple of bucks per brew. Although buying bulk and milling yourself is beter in the long term.

1 hour ago, John E Miller said:

Hi John,

I understand what you are saying, if I was going to change stuff I would go all out, I don't mean that I couldn't improvise just saw all of the new shiny gear.

I also know that good beer comes from the basic principles & all of the glitter in the world won't change that.

Cheerss.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Dozer71 said:

They are having a lend. Maybe they are looking at 3V systems which can puh this, but can be done cheaper. BIAB is all grain and a 20-25l batch can be done with a 40l urn and bag - $200-$300 set up. Used this for many a year and good brews before the next step due to a burn out. Next step is brewzilla/guten systems at $4-500 but a bit more automated and recirc pump. Add in a mill and less than $700. Can skip the mill and get the LHBS to do it for a couple of bucks per brew. Although buying bulk and milling yourself is beter in the long term.

I can only agree with you, I was working on a maximum figure & know that you don't need all of the bells & whistles to take it to the next level. It's not rocket science & I ain't no professor !

Your input is appreciated.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

OK @John E Miller  I have been to 2 fairly big LHBS in Adelaide in the last 2 days, the round up is it is going to cost around $1,200.00 to do it properly, I don't have a problem with that.

A lot of people would say Ebay/Gumtree/Secondhand etc but I am a new stuff freak & I like to know I am the first person to own stuff. Having said that I am not closing my mind to comments from other AG brewers & I am grateful for the direction & help. So I guess the rest is up to me. I appreciate your input & Cheers.

Hi Phil, Just chucking in my two bobs worth.  I have a Grainfather 30L and am pretty happy with it.  Although it was not available when I made the jump to AG, I now wish I had got the Guten 70L system.

I am now doing periodic kegs for my brother and would like extend that offer to my brother-in-law.  However, I could not keep up with supply just with the Grainfather.  It is basically, one keg at a time.

The Guten 70L would produce 3 kegs of beer in a similar time to what takes the Grainfather to produce 1 keg.

What I am saying is think a bit about the future.  You can often build up a system, buying as you expand.  But you might find that the smaller components, bought earlier, become redundant if you grow.

7 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

How much grain do you squeeze into that pot? do you make small batches or higher gravity and water it down?

I started off doing small batches, but now I make higher gravity and water it down. Can brew 20 litres plus now.

Biggest grainbill I fit in there was 5.2kg. 

• Like 3