Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time 2021.

Pale Man

48 minutes ago, Graubart said:

I think you might be running out of gas mate... I had thing with my Nitro beergas like that recently - there was gas in there - but no oomph...

The Gas Guru is King Reddler - you there @Red devil 44 - or are you off in some distant part of Aussie training the new generation in Gas Matters? 😜

I think you helped me Red with similar issue - and at the end of the day - cylinder near to empty.  Can you help with the above issue at all @Red devil 44 Red?

Guess @jamiek86 next time weigh empty gas cylinder - weigh full one - and you will know fer sher!?

Thanks mate assumed it would be nearly empty but then thought it should stay same until did empty because of regulator being set at certain PSi. 

@ozdevil I checked all points that would leak only thing like you mention on gas line is non return valve i checked it for leak. all good there. It would be good if guage worked a bit better not just Full Full Full oops empty lol. I guess ill get hang of it first bottle i haven't got a spare yet i might just go refill it tomorrow save the agony of running out. Thanks guys good idea about weighing it mate thanks.

Edited by jamiek86
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ozdevil said:

duotights/john guest fittings or clamped?

if you havent cut your  ends of gas or beer line straight  as a die  this can lead in alsorts of dramas with duotights and john guest fittings

i'm about to go to clamping   the lines again  rather then duotights as  twice now i have lost beer to the floor due to the duotight fittings

and  have done so with gas as well

Ozzy mate my coaches at CPB said just use SS clamps don't worry about the other stuff... I had a pretty good run... still had issues with leaky failing PRVs and posts and whatever... but I do think that SS clamps are probs more solid a seal even though not as convenient... 

Some Brewers on our site do seem to go alright with the Duo's - am not real convinced yet meself mate with the very few I do have... see how things go I guess.

6 hours ago, Graubart said:

Ozzy mate my coaches at CPB said just use SS clamps don't worry about the other stuff... I had a pretty good run... still had issues with leaky failing PRVs and posts and whatever... but I do think that SS clamps are probs more solid a seal even though not as convenient... 

Some Brewers on our site do seem to go alright with the Duo's - am not real convinced yet meself mate with the very few I do have... see how things go I guess.

mate  As of tommorrow  i will be ordering new  stainless steel disconnects    +  clamps  for my beer line   

duotights while ok , they really need more loving then i want to give them

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

Hello guys and gal's have noticed my pressure in kegs isn't as strong now as was after full co2 bottle. I think even though needle barely changed It might be nearing end of the bottle and poring pressure is a little less. Is this a normal thing

The cylinder needle is a bit like the airlock in an FV - not much good. It shows full right till the end almost because it shows the GAS pressure in the cylinder and that will stay constant until all the liquid is gone. Only then does the needle tell you how much is left. For mine, from the time it moved down a little, I got about 3 days before the beer pressure dropped as well.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Graubart said:

but I do think that SS clamps are probs more solid a seal even though not as convenient.

I've had no issues with duotights, bar 1 at the very start that was faulty and replaced. The JG push ons for the rear of the taps though were a non-starter - every time I opened or closed the fridge door they'd leak. For those I went back to the barbs and used cable ties - easy to remove if needed - *snip* - but I haven't had to.

The trick with duotights is to make sure the end is square to the length - a slight angle or bump in that surface isn't good and make sure you push in all the way then give a little tug to seat it properly.

• Thanks 1

Kegged the Penitence Pilsner yesterday and it looked nice and clear after a reasonable serious Cold Crash:

Funny @ozdevil Ozzy and Red @Red devil 44 you fellas were having a quiet but kind crack at me half full Fermy - haha - but it worked out perfectly for the one keg... happy about that - was worried would not be enough - but the longer CC kept the Dubbya 34 (thanks @MitchBastard Mitch copyright) on the bottom and I left probs less than 500m behind 🥳

image.thumb.png.a9fdbe35d402ae264452a85c6f5ba85c.png

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Kegged up the 1st Blonde Ale I ever done. It tasted crisp and clean, while being pretty clear. Tasted very lagerish with a nice little hint of tropical notes. I cannot wait to try it tomorrow night.

Cheers

Norris

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

@Graubart looking good how u been going off the juice? 

Yeah stuck to no Grogs and no Meat now for 40 plus days so far... only got five to go... not that I am counting or nothin' hey 😜

Fridee Satdee nights been a bit tough yep. 

But lost plenty of kilos which has been good... and am reducing all tucker intake this week as well so will be ready for a few quiet ones on Easter Sunday haha 🥳

Only got one more empty spot to fill and the old keggler home is fullasagoog see below Yeehaaa ; )  

image.thumb.png.23447bbe390a3b9d9b3b07fc46f7ecf8.png

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 6
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Graubart said:

Yeah stuck to no Grogs and no Meat now for 40 plus days so far... only got five to go... not that I am counting or nothin' hey 😜

Fridee Satdee nights been a bit tough yep. 

But lost plenty of kilos which has been good... and am reducing all tucker intake this week as well so will be ready for a few quiet ones on Easter Sunday haha 🥳

Only got one more empty spot to fill and the old keggler home is fullasagoog see below Yeehaaa ; )  

image.thumb.png.23447bbe390a3b9d9b3b07fc46f7ecf8.png

All the best Graubster, hang in there son, you are obviously doing this for health benifits so I wish you well.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Graubart said:

got a few bottles with the last 4 Litres

I usually do a few bottles at the start.  Enough to get the volume in the fermenter around 18 litres.  Then I put the rest into the keg.  Is there a rule of thumb or reasons why you might bottle first or last?  

My thinking is that I usually start with a couple of PETs which usually cop the yeast that was stuck in the tap.  That way I get less yeast into the keg.  

• Like 2

On 3/29/2021 at 10:12 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

I usually do a few bottles at the start.  Enough to get the volume in the fermenter around 18 litres.  Then I put the rest into the keg.  Is there a rule of thumb or reasons why you might bottle first or last?  

My thinking is that I usually start with a couple of PETs which usually cop the yeast that was stuck in the tap.  That way I get less yeast into the keg.  

Good call @Shamus O'Sean SOS mate - historically I have put the keg as priority one and filled that first... but the last Lager I did follow your sound methodology and take one Coopers Glassie 750 out first to suck a bit of yeast out... and then filled keg... and finished with bottles with the remaining precious brew 😋

I had cold crashed the sucker for a good stretch and Dubbya 34 the well behaved yeastie had flocced out nicely - and then on filling the keg yer suck a swag in off that silly ledge just about the FV Tap... it may be there for good reason like strength or stability of the tap or whatever - but it is a MAJOR PITA re capturing yeast that then goes out the blaaardy tap - after a bloke has gone to the enth degree to clarify his Lager!?!

I guess it is not a vast quantity of yeast and should drop out in the keg and clear up after first cuppla pints - but it does seem a bit unhelpful to have that "yeast catching ledge" in what is otherwise a fine Coopers FV hey!?!

• Like 2

On 3/29/2021 at 6:19 PM, CLASSIC said:

All the best Graubster, hang in there son, you are obviously doing this for health benifits so I wish you well.

Yeah cheers @CLASSIC Phil was a good opportunity in Lent to do something sorta goes hand in hand with that time and helped me keep on track haha!

Now mate the big challenge remains - to keep it off 😬

1 minute ago, Graubart said:

Yeah cheers @CLASSIC Phil was a good opportunity in Lent to do something sorta goes hand in hand with that time and helped me keep on track haha!

Now mate the big challenge remains - to keep it off 😬

Well mate we all know you eat well as you have always put up a heap of fresh grown veg/herbs on top of all of that grainy bread etc so a few more grains of barley/wheat/hops mixed with a bit of water shouldn't hurt. Cheers.😜

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just kegged a Brew A IPA - simple brew, Nott yeast, 30g mosaic tea and LDME. Was clear as in the tube at the end and tastes great even before carbing. It's in there with the carb lid, purged and a couple of doses of 30 psi to kick start things then back to serving pressure. I do like how long the gas sounds last when  you use the carb lid - gives one the feeling it's actually getting carbed and a lot easier than any rock'n'roll technique. 😄

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The universe may be conspiring to keep me drinking beer. 😄

Early on kegging I bought a stout pout to go with the Nukataps. I tried it out and it definitely gave fine bubble head but too much head. 

So I figured I will set up a gas line on it's own mini-reg so I can play with the pressure and see if I can get the Guinness effect that way. I do realise a lot of the effect is to do with nitro but I was impressed with the change made by the spout.

Unfortunately KL inline reg and gauge seems to go out of stock very quickly so I ordered a FC Nukatap - the thought is that will let me play with the stout spout until I have the extra line. Or even after I have it. But with both the independent pressure line and the FC tap I can have different beers all on tap without having to have independent regs on each line.

So... back to the universe. I was kinda planning on having a night off the beer tonight so the universe organised Auspost to deliver my FC early... and I can't just leave it sitting around an d not in use, right? I mean I have to make sure it works in case I have to send it back, right? 😄 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Journeyman said:

The universe may be conspiring to keep me drinking beer. 😄

Early on kegging I bought a stout pout to go with the Nukataps. I tried it out and it definitely gave fine bubble head but too much head. 

So I figured I will set up a gas line on it's own mini-reg so I can play with the pressure and see if I can get the Guinness effect that way. I do realise a lot of the effect is to do with nitro but I was impressed with the change made by the spout.

Unfortunately KL inline reg and gauge seems to go out of stock very quickly so I ordered a FC Nukatap - the thought is that will let me play with the stout spout until I have the extra line. Or even after I have it. But with both the independent pressure line and the FC tap I can have different beers all on tap without having to have independent regs on each line.

So... back to the universe. I was kinda planning on having a night off the beer tonight so the universe organised Auspost to deliver my FC early... and I can't just leave it sitting around an d not in use, right? I mean I have to make sure it works in case I have to send it back, right? 😄 

@Journeyman  I wouldn't have thought you would need an excuse to drink beer,  but then there is nothing wrong with that. 

Just struggling with this bit   I was kinda planning on having a night off the beer tonight   🤣

• Haha 1

Kegged the Fat Yak clone for my brother yesterday.  Also got 9 Grolsch flip tops for yours truly out of the fermenter.  15g of Morgans Premium Ale yeast got it from OG 1.045 to FG of 1.006 for an ABV of 5.1% in the keg.

Dropped the chilled keg of to my brother today, ready for him to carbonate.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Kegged the Fat Yak clone for my brother yesterday.  Also got 9 Grolsch flip tops for yours truly out of the fermenter.  15g of Morgans Premium Ale yeast got it from OG 1.045 to FG of 1.006 for an ABV of 5.1% in the keg.

Dropped the chilled keg of to my brother today, ready for him to carbonate.

It's funny how families vary. My brother wouldn't give me the steam off his p155 but here you are making kegs of beer for yours. You're a good man, SOS.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, MUZZY said:

It's funny how families vary. My brother wouldn't give me the steam off his p155 but here you are making kegs of beer for yours. You're a good man, SOS.

Thanks Muzzy.  But I must say, I am not that good.  I charge him for the ingredients.  I don't charge for my time because I love the process of brewing.  He fuels my hobby and I get to brew another beer, and keep a few sneaky bottles myself.  Hearing his positive feedback about my beers is a great reward too. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1