Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time 2021.

Pale Man

because i don't drive getting a fresh thing of CO2 delivered turned out to be a bit more of an adventure than just getting to the LHBS but finally got it all sorted and should be back on the gas tomorrow.

great phone conversation with the rep first off.. he's like 'what do you want this for then ey?' and i'm like 'just a little beer setup..' and the reply was along the lines of 'all good. thought you might be trying to refill soda streams, i wont sell to them' 😆

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Well, last night I kegged the Great Northern Super Crisp Lager Clone from a few weeks ago.

This should be pretty crisp.  Thanks to the dry enzyme, my FG was 1.000.  An ABV of around 5.9%.  Just a bit more than the intended 4.7%

u mean the original plus 1.5% I think Shamus lol I haven't used the enzyme yet but come spring I'll give it a crack.

• Like 1

Yesterday kegged up an AG batch of Pacific Summer Ale Batch #47 AG batch #6 which has been on cold crash for 1 week and the sample tasted fantastic albeit flat.  Nice and clear too.  Also got 4 x 345 ml stubbies as travelers.  I then did a dirty batch by immediately pouring the prior cubed Batch #50 (the same recipe) straight onto the trub as time is short in my brewery/household at the present time.

Also got a batch of my True Blue Pale Ale that has been cold crashed for a few days waiting for me to keg that one as well.  This will be closely followed by kegging the MitchB Aussie lager which has just commenced its cold crash routine.  I have 3 FV fridges and think I need a fourth, now if only I had the room...

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Yesterday kegged up an AG batch of Pacific Summer Ale Batch #47 AG batch #6 which has been on cold crash for 1 week and the sample tasted fantastic albeit flat.  Nice and clear too.  Also got 4 x 345 ml stubbies as travelers.  I then did a dirty batch by immediately pouring the prior cubed Batch #50 (the same recipe) straight onto the trub as time is short in my brewery/household at the present time.

Also got a batch of my True Blue Pale Ale that has been cold crashed for a few days waiting for me to keg that one as well.  This will be closely followed by kegging the MitchB Aussie lager which has just commenced its cold crash routine.  I have 3 FV fridges and think I need a fourth, now if only I had the room...

Sounds like you have a fair bit going on there @iBooz2 with 3 fridges going, I have 4 FV's although one is a Craft size, 2 x 23l running ATM & the other getting ready to put another Stout on.

It certainly keeps you busy but we have to keep stocks up don't we !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

DW being kegged earlier today am looking forward to seeing how this turns out was a bit hard to get the yeast mobilised hahaha - pretty funny as usually it's the opposite where you wanna keep the yeast out anyway got a fair amount of yeast to come across... and it was really good too as I had just the right amount of brew volume for the Keg - the FV looks half empty yes when you brew for like 18-19L but on kegging day it is perfect as I would rather not have to start looking for bottles for the last few litres... so am hoping this is a beaut...  is at 6.4% so should be a good un ; )

The Keg was cleaned and charged with CO2 and then I just trickle a little bit in while I am filling - and then burp quite a bit to purge the headspace of any errant oxy... seems to work ok if the latest HW is to go by haha! 🤪

image.thumb.png.582be17a14cbb0ddb676bedb63fe6b69.png

• Like 4

Kegged my True Blue Aussie Pale Ale today and also got 6 x 345 ml stubbies out of it for travellers.  This was Batch #48, AG Batch #7.  I lightened up the colour on this one to EBC = 9 to try and get it to where I want a house Ale to be so it will interesting to see what it turns out like in the glass in after a few weeks conditioning in the keg.

We still have no power here and will not have for a couple more days so put back brew days I had planned until I can see properly inside the brewery as its only got one big window and it been damned overcast.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Sad 1

On 6/9/2021 at 4:43 PM, CLASSIC said:

Sounds like you have a fair bit going on there @iBooz2 with 3 fridges going,

Yep Phil, at this time of year I run 2 x FV with lagers and 2 x FV with ales.  Only have 3 x temp controlled FV fridges and 1 x temp controlled chest freezer for longer term lagering.

It becomes a bit of a circus juggling act when I need to do the D-rest and then slowly cold crash the lagers and I have ales that still need to be at 18 C.  I can generally do 1 or 2 lager batches at ambient but when the D-rest stage comes on and I am a little out of batch sequence timing etc. it is a shit fight in the brewery.  Warmer months its not a problem as only ales usually get done then and I have my big stash of lagers to get me though summer.

13 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Dry Irish Stout

The FG came in at 1.000.  Wow.  ABV was 5.9% into a keg.

Gee whiz, that’s putting the dry in dry Irish stout. 

just curios, not disputing,  but do you think the hydrometer is correct? I’ve not known a stout to go that far….did you happen to record a pH reading prior to kegging mate? 

2 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

Gee whiz, that’s putting the dry in dry Irish stout. 

just curios, not disputing,  but do you think the hydrometer is correct? I’ve not known a stout to go that far….did you happen to record a pH reading prior to kegging mate? 

Dispute away, Mitch.  You would actually be right.  It was 1am when I posted that.  Several glasses in by then, including a couple of the said Dry Irish Stout.  I actually got my recent brews mixed up.  Great Northern Super Crisp Lager Clone (it finished at 1.000) versus Dry Irish Stout.  Let me correct it:

Dry Irish Stout, kegged on Saturday night.

FG 1.016 (not really very dry) from OG 1.047:  4.1% ABV.  Nottingham yeast only got 65% attenuation.

pH on brew day was 4.97, no idea about bottling day.  I guess if the FG was 1.000, it could have been caused by a badly soured/spoilt ferment.  Hence your question?

Kegged my @MitchBastard Aussie Pub Lager today.  I bastardized it a tiny bit more (sorry Mitch) so its not exactly the same as his version/s plus I wanted to try out the Diamond Lager Yeast which seems way more cleaner and crisper than Dubya.  OG = 1.046 FG = 1.008 so smack on 5.0% ABV.  EBC = 8.0 IBU = 30.2.  Mashed at 64.0 C for 90 minutes then a mash out at 76 C for 10”. 

Sample was nice and clear and the smell was not quite what I was expecting but then I remembered the late hop was EKG and my nose was pre-thinking PoR.  Sample tastes a bit like a light beer but being un-carbed probably not a true indication and might sneak up on me one night.  I will park this keg aside and keep it on serving gas pressure at 2 C for the next few weeks and try it again then.

I was kegging this one from a Bunnings 30 L barrel without a tap so had to use my SS auto siphon setup and I had to work out a way of getting the beer down the beer out line so it would not foam up also I needed to push the purge CO2 up and out.  The auto siphon straight into the keg creates foam and allows too much air to contact the beer because the lid of the keg has to be off to do this.

This way the keg was pre-purged with CO2 so I rigged up a ball lock connector to beer line, to elbow which fitted both the beer line and the big tube of the auto siphon.  One part of the elbow inside the auto siphon hose and one part of it went outside (See pic).  Just lifted the PRV up onto its release step (as you can see in the pic) so the CO2 would slowly leak out as the beer went in.  Worked a treat.

Cheers - AL

MitchB Aussie Pub Lager Hydrometer 1.jpg

MitchB Aussie Pub Lager Hydrometer 2.jpg

MitchB Aussie Pub Lager Kegging Method 2.jpg

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Kegged my @MitchBastard Aussie Pub Lager today.  I bastardized it a tiny bit more (sorry Mitch) so its not exactly the same as his version/s plus I wanted to try out the Diamond Lager Yeast which seems way more cleaner and crisper than Dubya.  OG = 1.046 FG = 1.008 so smack on 5.0% ABV.  EBC = 8.0 IBU = 30.2.  Mashed at 64.0 C for 90 minutes then a mash out at 76 C for 10”. 

Sample was nice and clear and the smell was not quite what I was expecting but then I remembered the late hop was EKG and my nose was pre-thinking PoR.  Sample tastes a bit like a light beer but being un-carbed probably not a true indication and might sneak up on me one night.  I will park this keg aside and keep it on serving gas pressure at 2 C for the next few weeks and try it again then.

I was kegging this one from a Bunnings 30 L barrel without a tap so had to use my SS auto siphon setup and I had to work out a way of getting the beer down the beer out line so it would not foam up and push the CO2 up and out.  The auto siphon straight into the keg creates foam and allows too much air to contact the beer because the lid of the keg has to be off to do this.

This way the keg was pre-purged with CO2 so I rigged up a ball lock connector to beer line, to elbow which fitted both the beer line and the big tube of the auto siphon.  One part of the elbow inside the auto siphon hose and one part of it outside.   See pic.  Just lifted the PRV up onto its release step (as you can see in the pic) so the CO2 would slowly leak out as the beer went in.  Worked a treat.

Cheers - AL

Al   thats pretty clear in the hydrometer    i reckon that will get even clearer by the time you drink it

maybe add some gelatin when going into keg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ozdevil said:

maybe add some gelatin when going into keg

Sorry @ozdevil  its already in the keg.  Has been cold crashed for 7 days already ( normal routine) and I've got no power here until Friday (at least), so had to run with kegging it as all FV fridges warming up and I have no excess generator power to feed them with.

Probably twice in last 150 brews have I added gelatin, only once in recent brewing history.  Many batches many, many years ago used isinglass or similar but that was a long time ago.

These days with good refrigeration I see no need as I am more that happy with all my brews particularly after a good D-rest and stepped down cold crash.  This MitchB lager is an example of that.

Yes I cannot wait until the 3-4 week of keg conditioning is over and done with and my mates and I can sip on this baby and enjoy.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Sorry @ozdevil  its already in the keg.  Has been cold crashed for 7 days already ( normal routine) and I've got no power here until Friday (at least), so had to run with kegging it as all FV fridges warming up and I have no excess generator power to feed them with.

Probably twice in last 150 brews have I added gelatin, only once in recent brewing history.  Many batches many, many years ago used isinglass or similar but that was a long time ago.

These days with good refrigeration I see no need as I am more that happy with all my brews particularly after a good D-rest and stepped down cold crash.  This MitchB lager is an example of that.

Yes I cannot wait until the 3-4 week of keg conditioning is over and done with and my mates and I can sip on this baby and enjoy.

bugga about the power situation mate ,   i never lost power in those storms  but 15kms up the road all lost power and  not much further in trentham all lost power and was blocked in all directions with fallen trees

On 6/14/2021 at 4:47 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Dispute away, Mitch.  You would actually be right.  It was 1am when I posted that.  Several glasses in by then, including a couple of the said Dry Irish Stout.  I actually got my recent brews mixed up.  Great Northern Super Crisp Lager Clone (it finished at 1.000) versus Dry Irish Stout.  Let me correct it:

Dry Irish Stout, kegged on Saturday night.

FG 1.016 (not really very dry) from OG 1.047:  4.1% ABV.  Nottingham yeast only got 65% attenuation.

pH on brew day was 4.97, no idea about bottling day.  I guess if the FG was 1.000, it could have been caused by a badly soured/spoilt ferment.  Hence your question?

Hahaha awesome stuff 😂 

it had entered my head that a possible diastatic contamination could have been present. For a stout to go that low you’d need something reasonably hungry to eat through those long sugar chains. 

glad it’s sorted. Enjoy the crispy great northern and the DIS.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, MitchBastard said:

@iBooz2 looks great mate! Bastardize away! It’s your beer. Did you add any Dex in the boil? 

Sort of mate, had 200 g dex on my brew day run sheet but for some reason I stirred in 200 g white table sugar at 15" instead (even though I had the bag of dex sitting ready, right in front of me).

Anyway it will be good either way.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Kegged another batch of my Pacific Summer Ale batch #50 AG batch #9 today a 4.6% session beer so now I have 5 kegs loaded up with my favs.  Sadly only one lager though but that will change as I move forward through lager season.  Also got 5 x 345 ml stubbies for caravan travellers.

• Like 3

Kegged my brothers Stella Artois clone last night.  I am going to have to adjust my brewhouse efficiency.  It should have been 4.6% ABV.  It turned out to be 5.6%.  The volumes worked out fine, just the conversion was higher.  I also got 8 bottles of it for my quality testing.

As for the beer, the sample tasted good.  But the Stella aroma was lacking.  A dry hop with a noble hop of some sort seems in order.  Thoughts?