Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time 2021.

Pale Man

2 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

@Aussiekraut, The Home Brew Network on YouTube has some great videos on setting up a Series X kegerator.  A bit long and in three parts, but really good detail.  Find his Youtube channel and search it for "series x".  These gave me a lot more confidence to do mine.

I agree with you @Shamus O'Sean   Gash  is long winded as he gets sidetracked lol,  but   he does  a great job and suggest things that will help

i  used that video to help set my kegerator up   and it never failed

• Like 2

just to save you time @Aussiekraut  looking up the homebrew network , i thought bring the dude to here lol

yeah this is the setup of the 4 font but wont be different for the 3 font   the principle is the same..

also what i did ,well the better half did for me,  is get a yoga mat   and cut it to size and put it on the inside of the 
font tower and a round cut off for the lid of the font tower   to aide with condensation  on the font tower

and it help keep ya font tower cold with the beer..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Setting up the Kegerator atm and the absolute lack of setup instructions makes it a bit like bushwalking without map and compass. 

It comes with 1.5m pre-cut beer lines. Watching the above videos from HomeBrew Network, he says to not use anything shorter than 2.5m. Why's that? 

I did buy 12m 4mm pipe, so I can cut longer bits but I'd like to understand what the reason for the longer line is.

Also, does the gas line have to be permanently connected to a keg or only while carbing up? I suppose the latter as it would make it impossible to have different serving pressure in different kegs, unless each keg had its own regulator. Correct? 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Setting up the Kegerator atm and the absolute lack of setup instructions makes it a bit like bushwalking without map and compass. 

It comes with 1.5m pre-cut beer lines. Watching the above videos from HomeBrew Network, he says to not use anything shorter than 2.5m. Why's that? 

I did buy 12m 4mm pipe, so I can cut longer bits but I'd like to understand what the reason for the longer line is.

Also, does the gas line have to be permanently connected to a keg or only while carbing up? I suppose the latter as it would make it impossible to have different serving pressure in different kegs, unless each keg had its own regulator. Correct? 

AK the 1.5 m lines I think you will find are 4 mm ID and 1.5 m is plenty, I use 1.3 m 4 mm ID beer line and its about perfect at 10 psi-ish.  The longer lines are for line resistance and you would only need to go longer than 1.3 - 1.5 if your using 5 mm ID beer line.

Yes I leave my gas line full time connected to all kegs at serving pressure.  If I am fast carbing up then only one gas line to the one keg that you are fast carbing at say 40 psi for 18 - 24 hours and leave the others off the kegs otherwise you will fast/over carb them.  Just remember to drop the regulator back to serving pressure after disconnecting the fast carb keg leaving this one disconnected for a day or so before connecting it back into the serving pressure line.  Hope that make sense.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Hey mate,

I used everything that came precut with mine and it seems to work pretty well.

The Kegland videos helped me put mine together.

The gas can be taken off but you will lose serving pressure and carbonation over time. I sometimes turn the gas off between sessions but not always.

I have an in line regulator and a line splitter to get some kegs at different pressures. 2 for beer, one for fizzy water.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Correct @Aussiekraut, if you wanted individual pressure you would need in line Regulators for each keg .

‘They are long so the beer doesn’t froth up coming out of the tap, I think from memory my lengths are 2m. I just coil  them up and throw a cable tie around the keg, your delivery lines to your taps have to be higher than the kegs to stop friction in the line ( causing froth ) when pouring, Hope this helps mate. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Aussiekraut said:

Good Luck with the set-up AK, looks like you will get plenty of help here. 👍

52 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

‘They are long so the beer doesn’t froth up coming out of the tap, I think from memory my lengths are 2m.

Agree with Red @Aussiekraut AK and as @Popo Popo suggest I would use the the lines as long as they are... you can cut them later if that was necessary. 

The good people at CPB told me to use 3.5m with my Pluto Guns and I have found that to be good for my basic system.

And as @Red devil 44 Red advises it stops frothing - at the tap... 

(I believe it is all about developing the appropriate 'friction loss' line resistance to prevent gas coming out of solution in the line between the tap and the keg itself - but happy to be corrected)

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Aussiekraut said:

Yep agree with the others @Aussiekraut. My pre-cut 1.5m x 4mm lines work fine with the Series X.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Correct @Aussiekraut, if you wanted individual pressure you would need in line Regulators for each keg .

‘They are long so the beer doesn’t froth up coming out of the tap, I think from memory my lengths are 2m. I just coil  them up and throw a cable tie around the keg, your delivery lines to your taps have to be higher than the kegs to stop friction in the line ( causing froth ) when pouring, Hope this helps mate. 

i Agree with  Red Devil 44

i would have longer  rather then  shorter   as R.D  as mentioned abouth frothing.

i would have 2.5m minimum to start with   then cut 10cm intervals to your desired pour at the serving pressure

Also you have to take into account  beers that will require higher carbonation and serving pressures
eg  Stouts,  i would also use in line regs if wanting to use different serving pressures

my kegerator was the 4 tap series x    my beer lines are 3m lengths  and never an issue 
i am thinking of cutting  them back but will do it in small intervals of 10cm till i get to 2m.

its all about balance  and getting it right

going longer  also  helps with the 1st pour as it is in the beer line longer and cools ready for that 1st pour

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1