Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time 2021.

Pale Man

5 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

i  use the set and forget method for a reason..   this way i do not have to muck around adjusting pressures becuase i want the beer yesterday
i would be the one to  forget i need to drop pressure

Fair call, I check my regulator all the time as it is shit.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@Stickers and @Mickep Brewers I just have a freezer and pluto guns - so although got a few kegs in there - I only have two gas sources nitro and carbon diox and two lines and then I just switch the gas across to whatever keg I am interested in at the time...

I do have manifolds but gave up using them as it is just one more point for leakage possibilities... but my 8 keg set up is very primitive... just open lid and plug in gas and then pick up pluto gun and pour sorta thing... so it may not be that relevant 🤔

If you have everything plumbed in nicely then a manifold is probs essential I suspect... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/8/2021 at 3:04 AM, stquinto said:

The Stout'll be going in tomorrow 😉

Don't muck around with all that small finicky stuff Saint... you know nitro is important mate... so go straight to the top maaaaaate - get yerself a big one 🏴‍☠️

image.thumb.png.8d7ff46dea75de186c8a62fc7db6302e.png

Haha just joking - was in start of Covid last year and I got a good deal on this Nitro mix beergas and couldn't get to The Big Smoke for me smaller ones to be filled... 😋

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Don't muck around with all that small finicky stuff Saint... you know nitro is important mate... so go straight to the top maaaaaate - get yerself a big one 🏴‍☠️

image.thumb.png.8d7ff46dea75de186c8a62fc7db6302e.png

Haha just joking - was in start of Covid last year and I got a good deal on this Nitro mix beergas and couldn't get to The Big Smoke for me smaller ones to be filled... 😋

@Graubart Holy Sh*t  ! You don't take any prisoners in the Graubster Arms ! 😭🤣

I can already see that the 5 litre is a keg you might give to a kid. You only get 4 litres of grog in anyway...

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, stquinto said:

You don't take any prisoners in the Graubster Arms

Haha the Saint @stquinto... it was a bit of a bizarre time... was the only way I could get some nitro and w Covid full on I managed to argue a great price and went with it haha!

To be honest... cylinders that size are a huge PITA to handle cos I don't do the Caber toss anymore 😬

image.thumb.png.2ba1faf972f1ce9e361b5e727484fc27.png

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Haha the Saint @stquinto... it was a bit of a bizarre time... was the only way I could get some nitro and w Covid full on I managed to argue a great price and went with it haha!

To be honest... cylinders that size are a huge PITA to handle cos I don't do the Caber toss anymore 😬

image.thumb.png.2ba1faf972f1ce9e361b5e727484fc27.png

gently roll those cylinders   is the easiest way    why caber toss them 

but i agree they would be a pain in the  backside

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, ozdevil said:

i think you will find  the do  screw into the regulator

but the regulator to the gas post  are different attachments

I am not quite following you.  

The gas bulbs screw into the regulator (interchangeably) - The regulator's connected to the grey gas disconnect - The grey gas disconnect is connected to the gas post.  Why can't you use the same regulator and grey gas post with the N2 bulb as with the CO2 bulb?  Is it different regulators for the different gases?  Or is it a different connector (as @stquinto shows in his photo) because it needs to do something to the N2 gas that the regulator-grey gas post cannot do?

• Like 1

@ozdevil I was online with the supplier. He said I can carbonate the keg through the black vertical disconnect (i.e. where the beer tap is fixed, and beer comes out). You just have to be careful not to get any beer pushed back up into the regulator. I got a remote line connector for the SodaStream bottle, with a check valve in the middle to stop gas or liquid coming back into the regulator.

Which is what you said 👍

59 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

The gas bulbs screw into the regulator (interchangeably) - The regulator's connected to the grey gas disconnect - The grey gas disconnect is connected to the gas post.  Why can't you use the same regulator and grey gas post with the N2 bulb as with the CO2 bulb?  Is it different regulators for the different gases?  Or is it a different connector (as @stquinto shows in his photo) because it needs to do something to the N2 gas that the regulator-grey gas post cannot do?

@Shamus O'Sean The N2 bulbs have a nipple on them that gets pierced when you screw it in (🤔) but the CO2 bulbs have a thread. I don't know if they are interchangable. I'd rather not have to carbonate a keg from the bulbs for price reasons, I'd prefer (at least) a SodaStream-sized bottle. 

So what I have gone for is two 5 litre kegs (actually 4 litres of beer in each), carbonating them via the beer output with a SodaStream bottle, with a check valve in the middle so I won't bugger up the regulator with back flow beer, and each keg with an N2 bulb adapter that can fit on in a seperate fitting to the beer outflow/CO2 inflow. That way I can carbonate with CO2 then serve with N2 whilst maintaining the keg under pressure.

Phew ! Beer had better be good !

@Graubart Ï've read up a bit about the beer gas that is a mix of N2 and CO2. I hope my simple nitro setup will do the job for now. If this stuff is any good I could go for somewhere between the 2g bulb and your nitro-caber, the Goldilocks of a gas cylinder 😉

Thanks for all your advice fellas 👍

Edited by stquinto
typo
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

i think its a different connecter  that the regulater fits on..

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Mickep said:

https://www.kegland.com.au/19l-ball-lock-keg-brand-new-594.html

Are these kegs the go or should I be looking at other products? TIA Guys and Gals.

Just be aware Mick that these are not the same dimensions as say KL or KK 19 L kegs and this may be an issue if you wanted to pack them into a kegerator that is designed for the later sizes.  Other than that 316 SS being better quality SS which would make them a little bit heavier but you cannot go wrong I reckon.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

not the same dimensions as say KL or KK 19 L

This quite interesting as I am trying to learn about Kegging and what is best to buy.

Just so I understand it.  Am I right in saying KK is King Keg and KL is Keg Land. When you say not the same dimensions as KL  isn't Mick talking about the KL keg or am I missing something.😃

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Pickles Jones said:

This quite interesting as I am trying to learn about Kegging and what is best to buy.

Just so I understand it.  Am I right in saying KK is King Keg and KL is Keg Land. When you say not the same dimensions as KL  isn't Mick talking about the KL keg or am I missing something.😃

Strange? The link in Mick's post I clicked on an hour or so ago took me to Cheeky Peaks second hand kegs that were refurbished and the ad said they were not the same size as standard ones (a bit squatter and not as tall and they varied in size).  I cannot go back through my web browsing history to look for that actual page as I clear all cookies and history every time I start a new browsing session sometime hundreds of times per day.

Maybe Mick edited his post with new URL just after I clinked on the link?

Edited by iBooz2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

The link in Mick's post I clicked on an hour or so ago took me to Cheeky Peaks second hand kegs that were refurbished and the ad said they were not the same size as standard ones (a bit squatter and not as tall and they varied in size). 

My experience w second hand kegs is yes they are not the same dimensions as new ones albeit likely same volume... @Red devil 44 Reddler - you got plenty old kegs that you have neatly refurbished - is that correct? 

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 2

Sorry guys at work no pic but does anyone know the official name for the thing on the font that the tap screws into? I have a dodgy one that's a pain to screw tap in and out of while cleaning the tap. Remember someone else having similar issues with one but cant remember if they replaced or was ok once removed.

Series x kegerator.

Edited by jamiek86

35 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

Sorry guys at work no pic but does anyone know the official name for the thing on the font that the tap screws into? I have a dodgy one that's a pain to screw tap in and out of while cleaning the tap. Remember someone else having similar issues with one but cant remember if they replaced or was ok once removed.

Series x kegerator.

Its called a ring collar.

Mark @Journeyman and @kmar92 and others including myself had a discussion about undoing this part a little while back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Food grade lube or keg lube on the tread should do the trick

seems to be part thread attached to not letting it spin properly not inside the thread itself. because it does up around tap while tap is still doesn't spin properly.

Edited by jamiek86

will try it with that tool tomorrow didn't even notice that thing of tool might make it easier. I just know the left one has more resistance in it than right. I'll be ordering Nukataps when back in stock from reviews they don't need come off to be cleaned as often. These taps had only seen few kegs each and were full of sticky stuff even though I run sanitiser through after each keg.

11 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

will try it with that tool tomorrow didn't even notice that thing of tool might make it easier. I just know the left one has more resistance in it than right. I'll be ordering Nukataps when back in stock from reviews they don't need come off to be cleaned as often. These taps had only seen few kegs each and were full of sticky stuff even though I run sanitiser through after each keg.

Nukataps are great - the sticky stuff issue is why I moved from the rear-closing taps I got originally. I would'a gone Intertaps because Beerbelly stocks them but SS nukas were half the price. Also stay away from the black ones - they look cool but I've seen several reports of the black wearing off and landing in the glass. I went the polished version with crhome handles and it looks schmicko.

Not sure why one tap has more resistance - once I started turning mine the correct way they were fine, although that multi-tool nub is a piss-off. Gonna take a file to it and take off the square edges so it seats properly - maybe then it will work without having to stand on one leg, stick a fork in the air, pray to Ganesh, cross your eyes and hold your mouth just so... 😄

I did discover one must be sure to do the collar up fully. One tap worked fine at serving pressure but when I failed to remove the beer - tap line before hitting it with 30 psi I got a gusher out the front of the fridge. 😄

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Strange? The link in Mick's post I clicked on an hour or so ago took me to Cheeky Peaks second hand kegs that were refurbished and the ad said they were not the same size as standard ones (a bit squatter and not as tall and they varied in size).  I cannot go back through my web browsing history to look for that actual page as I clear all cookies and history every time I start a new browsing session sometime hundreds of times per day.

Maybe Mick edited his post with new URL just after I clinked on the link?

Boozer, you're onto it. I did change the link - sorry. You'd probably thought you'd had one too many 😉 If I find it I'll repost. I took it down because the company with the used kegs was in NSW and I'm in Vic.

• Thanks 1