Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time 2021.

Pale Man

+3 go 6kg.

@Mickep   mate  in the scheme of things it seems alot of gas you may not need but you will be surprised

my suggestion to you  is get the 6kg 1st  and then purchase the 2.6kg from kegland

the 2.6kg gets used for backup  if you run out on a saturday night and cant get refilled till monday
as well as the portable  bottle if you decide to get a jockey box

i have been running 2x 6kg bottles from boc    the past 12 months on a boc account  have to do the plan again for 12 months, but thats another story..

as i mainly have used them to  keg my beer and carb the beer  
pressure ferment
presure transfers
and  bottle filling  (tapcooler)

really u dont use much gas  but it will run out  before ya think about the next  refill
and it happens halfway  through a keg

start with 6kg    then add the 2.6kg later down the track as a back up

2 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

+3 go 6kg.

@Mickep   mate  in the scheme of things it seems alot of gas you may not need but you will be surprised

my suggestion to you  is get the 6kg 1st  and then purchase the 2.6kg from kegland

the 2.6kg gets used for backup  if you run out on a saturday night and cant get refilled till monday

i have been running 2x 6kg bottles from boc    the past 12 months on a boc account  have to do the plan again for 12 months, but thats another story..

pressure ferment
presure transfers

really u dont use much gas  but it will run out  before ya think about the next  refill

Yep, I started with a 6kg but I soon bought a 2.6kg bottle as well. As @ozdevil says you always need a back up. Nothing worse than running out of CO2 on a Friday night and not being able to get a re-fill until Monday!

+4

for the 6 Kg.  Took me about 12 months to need a refill on the 6 plus I was a bit wasteful back then with CO2.  Only bought a second 2.6 kg bottle and a second Harris 601 regulator as a backup and so I could take a keg to a couple of mates places last summer.

• Like 1

Last time i was at the LHBS a fella walked in behind with his 9 year old son holding onto a 6KG CO2 bottle ..was thinking what a lil champ ..turns out old mate was fully blind ..apparently he comes in on his own most times ..got me thinking ..he makes his own beer sets up his lines and all the jazz blind .. imagine that ..blind ..bet his sons a good taste tester/helper as well 

1 hour ago, ozdevil said:

3 go 6kg.

pressure ferment
presure transfers

Thanks Ozzie @ozdevil mate, much appreciated feed back. 

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

@Mickep, a 2.6kg is handy for portability.  I have one for doing beer stuff in the garage like keg purging. I leave the 6kg one hooked up to the kegerator permanently. 

Thanks Shamus @Shamus O'Sean, That sounds like good advice. Keglands deal with these gas bottles sounds okay, that's if I'm reading it right.

Buy new -  good for 10 years - and they have a buy back scheme when the bottle runs out of date as well. I do understand however that swap and go does have a certain amount of insurance that comes with it as opposed to purchasing in full at the beginning.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Green Blob said:

How do you refill it???

i dare say he will have to disconnect when the bottle is empty

you can refill your own   if you have enough gas eg 6kg  you could connect and fill a 2.6kg

you can also refill 400gram sodastreambottles

the only only thing is the recieving bottle needs to be frozen  and you have to invert the donar bottle

• Like 1

On 7/25/2021 at 1:32 PM, Aussiekraut said:

Ok, Kerr we go. The first tap off the kegerator. A very green Queensland Sunburn and being the first beer from the first keg, it’s exciting 😀 May there be many more to follow.

Yes, that fat slug is me 😂

Kegerator looks good mate, so does the beer, welcome to the world of kegging  🍻🍻

• Like 1

For all those keggers out there, and our new kegger @Aussiekraut

Was just doing my weekly leak checks on my kegs and found one had a slight leak when I turned the gas on ( I leave it off when not in use or overnight ) 

‘These o-rings on the posts wear down after a while from connecting/disconnecting, so guys keep a close eye on your keg post o-rings.

I have a special o-ring hook kit in my toolbox being a tradie, but you can buy a cheapie from Bunnings for a few bucks. 

I bought this spares kit from KL, it’s worth the $25 because it’s better than blowing a 6 kg or 2.6 kg CO2 cylinder, and I’ve used it a few times.

‘Hope this helps guys, cheers RD44 🍻🍻

69AF65D1-E848-4EC9-B536-69F4757746C5.jpeg

03601B00-6F97-4A88-BEC5-2BB70A6C2347.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

For all those keggers out there, and our new kegger @Aussiekraut

Was just doing my weekly leak checks on my kegs and found one had a slight leak when I turned the gas on ( I leave it off when not in use or overnight ) 

‘These o-rings on the posts wear down after a while from connecting/disconnecting, so guys keep a close eye on your keg post o-rings.

I have a special o-ring hook kit in my toolbox being a tradie, but you can buy a cheapie from Bunnings for a few bucks. 

I bought this spares kit from KL, it’s worth the $25 because it’s better than blowing a 6 kg or 2.6 kg CO2 cylinder, and I’ve used it a few times.

‘Hope this helps guys, cheers RD44 🍻🍻

69AF65D1-E848-4EC9-B536-69F4757746C5.jpeg

03601B00-6F97-4A88-BEC5-2BB70A6C2347.jpeg

I have one of those picks. I received two second hand kegs from my dad and bought one of those kits and replaced the seals for piece of mind cheers for the heads up.

• Like 2

First kegging day of the year for me today 😂 I have a few things to go and do first, one of which is going over to Hoppy days to grab a sack of pilsner malt and a new liquid disconnect and push in fitting to replace the right hand side one in my system. Once I get back I'll be filling the two kegs of pilsner and pale ale and putting them on high pressure until morning. Or I might use a bit lower pressure and leave it on until I get home from golf. Either way there will be beer on tap tomorrow 👍

• Like 5

Well no golf now thanks to this bloody lockdown. Still got the kegs done and full gas cylinder as well...good thing I replaced it because it had f all left. Since I'll be home all day apart from shopping I've done my usual 45psi overnight carb. I'll turn it off around 10 tomorrow morning and give it a few hours to absorb before turning it back on to serving pressure and sampling some of it. Good to be back properly!

20210731_140908.thumb.jpg.0b3084aef8663b5aa85bbd3b6bbfb4ce.jpg

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Well no golf now thanks to this bloody lockdown. Still got the kegs done and full gas cylinder as well...good thing I replaced it because it had f all left. Since I'll be home all day apart from shopping I've done my usual 45psi overnight carb. I'll turn it off around 10 tomorrow morning and give it a few hours to absorb before turning it back on to serving pressure and sampling some of it. Good to be back properly!

Hey Otto, pretty awesome set-up, sorry about the lockdown, bloody thing won't go away - what's yer handicap, I got down to 13 before I give it away, mainly in my youth, too bloody old now. 😬

• Like 2

@Otto Von Blotto well done nothing like a fast carb, my current pale ale is only my second attempt at doing so. I started at 22 psi for 5 hours then turned up to 30 before bed last night highest have gone yet. left it there until 4 this arvo and poured my first 3 glasses left on 30. Swapped to one of my favourite clean glasses on 4th and got good carb and head. now it's back on 14 psi but still pouring good I use out post to carb before switching to pour. I also enjoy pilsner and like it aged so will try to fast carb a few ales to age my pilsners.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Hey Otto, pretty awesome set-up, sorry about the lockdown, bloody thing won't go away - what's yer handicap, I got down to 13 before I give it away, mainly in my youth, too bloody old now. 😬

Cheers, yeah I quite like the old bar and taps behind it setup. Ah well there's plenty of footy on tomorrow arvo to get through and work's unaffected by it. I'm on 18 currently but I'm going to have some lessons in the next few weeks. I'd love to get to scratch but at the moment I'm aiming to get to single figures. 

• Like 1