Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time 2021.

Pale Man

3 minutes ago, Mickep said:
17 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Strange? The link in Mick's post I clicked on an hour or so ago took me to Cheeky Peaks second hand kegs that were refurbished and the ad said they were not the same size as standard ones (a bit squatter and not as tall and they varied in size).  I cannot go back through my web browsing history to look for that actual page as I clear all cookies and history every time I start a new browsing session sometime hundreds of times per day.

Maybe Mick edited his post with new URL just after I clinked on the link?

Boozer, you're onto it. I did change the link - sorry. You'd probably thought you'd had one too many 😉 If I find it I'll repost. I took it down because the company with the used kegs was in NSW and I'm in Vic.

Here it is.

https://cheekypeakbrewery.com.au/fully-refurbished-19l-used-ball-lock-cornelius-keg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mickep said:

Yep I thought I was on to ya there Mick, I will be able to sleep nights now ha ha.. 

BTW Cheeky Peak are in Wigg St. Wodonga VIC.  I have found they are very fast with their shipping and beat an order I placed with KK on the same day and that one only had to come from Dandenong.

17 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Yep I thought I was on to ya there Mick, I will be able to sleep nights now ha ha.. 

BTW Cheeky Peak are in Wigg St. Wodonga VIC.  I have found they are very fast with their shipping and beat an order I placed with KK on the same day and that one only had to come from Dandenong.

Blow me down with a feather Boozer, I saw the 02 phone code on the website and assumed they were in NSW.  What are you'r thoughts about those kegs at cheekysneakypeakybrewers? They're cheap and the claim is they're fully refurbished unlike some. Thanks mate.

19 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

depending who and how you get your goods shipped from kegland   @iBooz2    if you go aust post and standarded its shocking
if you go direct frieght or express with austpost  ya get it prety quick as  express postage gets priority packing with kegland
and direct frieght dont muck about to delivering when the pick the goods up.

I also agree C.P  are very good with delivery as well

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Blow me down with a feather Boozer, I saw the 02 phone code on the website and assumed they were in NSW.  What are you'r thoughts about those kegs at cheekysneakypeakybrewers? They're cheap and the claim is they're fully refurbished unlike some. Thanks mate.

Mate fully furbished   compared to the new i would go for it

if you brought  2nd hand kegs from ebay or  of market place you are most likely going to spending money on refurbishing them yourself 
for piece of mind

C.P have a great reputation

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ozdevil said:

Mate fully furbished   compared to the new i would go for it

if you brought  2nd hand kegs from ebay or  of market place you are most likely going to spending money on refurbishing them yourself 
for piece of mind

C.P have a great reputation

Thanks Ozzie mate, it does seem like a good deal that's for sure. Thanks for the heads up about their rep too

4 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

depending who and how you get your goods shipped from kegland   @iBooz2    if you go aust post and standarded its shocking

OD I said KK not KL.  I can get my stuff from KL in about 2 hours (locker pickup). 

KK take a day to process the order, then next day I get an email to say its status is now "order now packing".  Another day I get a and email that says "order shipped" but all they have done is logged the job with the courier company that evening and the get a tracking number.  It does not get picked up by that courier until late the next day so once that happens it still a day or two before it arrives.   I can wait a week + to get my delivery from the time I order.  Same goes if I try to order and pick up from KK.  Have to wait a day then when you do rock up its rarely ready to go.

28 minutes ago, Mickep said:

The 02 in their phone number only means their local telephone exchange is located in Albury NSW  Same deal with many towns along the Murray.  For example Buronga NSW has 03 number prefix on account they are hooked into the Mildura VIC telephone exchange.

I would send CP an email to get the actual overall height and diameter of each keg and make sure they are going to fit into your fridge / freezer setup first.  The ad says they can mix and match for you.  As already said with 316 SS they will be slightly heavier so take that on board if you are going to lift them up to drop them down into a freezer for example.  It will not be much though.

Kegerators like the X series are designed for the KK or KL new kegs so they can get 4 of their kegs in there so keep that in mind too because if you have one that's an odd ball it would limit your X series to 2 or 3 kegs.  That's if you end up going that way of course.  I just use a big old chest freezer which can hold 6 kegs and a few dozen bottles.  Got a couple of pluto guns sitting in there and gas outside.  I run this at 2 C via an STC temp controller.  I also have a two door keg fridge that holds 2 kegs and all my yeast bank, this has 2 nukataps coming out through the door.  Freezer of this one is full of hops.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

OD I said KK not KL.  I can get my stuff from KL in about 2 hours (locker pickup). 

KK take a day to process the order, then next day I get an email to say its status is now "order now packing".  Another day I get a and email that says "order shipped" but all they have done is logged the job with the courier company that evening and the get a tracking number.  It does not get picked up by that courier until late the next day so once that happens it still a day or two before it arrives.   I can wait a week + to get my delivery from the time I order.  Same goes if I try to order and pick up from KK.  Have to wait a day then when you do rock up its rarely ready to go.

Sorry me bad @iBooz2

Now you say you can yours in 2 hours locker pick up

hmmm noble park  (new kegland) isnt that far from sprinvale where kk are  so  couldnt you time it for when they are open do pick up from KK

i do get you with KK delivery  side of things they are not that quick in getting them out... unfortunately neither Kegland or KK are myside of town so have to rely on postage with them both

I very rarely purchase from KK for the delivery reason.. if i do buy from them  i can wait for it

4 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

The 02 in their phone number only means their local telephone exchange is located in Albury NSW  Same deal with many towns along the Murray.  For example Buronga NSW has 03 number prefix on account they are hooked into the Mildura VIC telephone exchange.

I would send CP an email to get the actual overall height and diameter of each keg and make sure they are going to fit into your fridge / freezer setup first.  The ad says they can mix and match for you.  As already said with 316 SS they will be slightly heavier so take that on board if you are going to lift them up to drop them down into a freezer for example.  It will not be much though.

Kegerators like the X series are designed for the KK or KL new kegs so they can get 4 of their kegs in there so keep that in mind too because if you have one that's an odd ball it would limit your X series to 2 or 3 kegs.  That's if you end up going that way of course.  I just use a big old chest freezer which can hold 6 kegs and a few dozen bottles.  Got a couple of pluto guns sitting in there and gas outside.  I run this at 2 C via an STC temp controller.  I also have a two door keg fridge that holds 2 kegs and all my yeast bank, this has 2 nukataps coming out through the door.  Freezer of this one is full of hops.

Thanks Boozer mate, that's some great info there. You're right I jumped to a conclusion about the code - should've looked up the address haha. I'm starting to lean toward just buying as econd hand fridge and  the KL conversion kit, comes with almost everything I need to begin with.  A brand new keg as well. I'll email CPB to see what the dimensions are of the refurbs. Thanks for all your help, I appreciate it heaps.

@Journeyman @iBooz2 and sorry if forgot others that tried help the video might not show the full extent but one turns easier than other. you could imaging when trying to un do or do up on tap that small difference in play makes. I have to put heaps more force into one on left to get that result. 

Although I like marks idea about standing on one leg and the rest of it maby the trouble I'm having is that I don't pray to the many gods? I can't contact the beer gods until at least Friday night when I no longer have a night shift to do for the week.

2 hours ago, ozdevil said:

Sorry me bad @iBooz2
hmmm noble park  (new kegland) isnt that far from sprinvale where kk are  so  couldnt you time it for when they are open do pick up from KK

All good OD, all good.  Yep that is what I do, swing past one on the way to the other.  Its just that if I want to do a pick up run say on a Thursday, I have to order the KK stuff on the Tuesday and in comparison I can pretty much order my KL stuff just before I head over there on the Thursday.  That's the difference.  No biggie.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

@Journeyman @iBooz2 and sorry if forgot others that tried help the video might not show the full extent but one turns easier than other. you could imaging when trying to un do or do up on tap that small difference in play makes. I have to put heaps more force into one on left to get that result. 

Although I like marks idea about standing on one leg and the rest of it maby the trouble I'm having is that I don't pray to the many gods? I can't contact the beer gods until at least Friday night when I no longer have a night shift to do for the week.

maybe get some  sanitiser  spray around that area  to loosen up  the mount  as it may just have  dried up beer or gunk stopping from being free as a bird

15 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

maybe get some  sanitiser  spray around that area  to loosen up  the mount  as it may just have  dried up beer or gunk stopping from being free as a bird

thanks devil I had a spray bottle with Milton so gave it crack with that seems do ok. if happen again I'll try spray and cook or keg lube 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Titans19 said:

Here's my latest keg/fridge/tap creation.

$50 servery fridge off Gumtree.

$100 timber slab from bunnings.

$50 coldroom panel for lid.

$2 handle. 

$10 black enamel paint.

Cold beers on the deck... priceless!

20210704_100833.jpg

Now add up the real costs mate

beer and gas line
kegs
gas
regulator
beer font 
beer taps 
fittings

we all can make things look very cheap.. in what we buy  but sometimes we miss certain things

butheck mate very nice keezer though  regardless of cost in the end

i can see the font being changed over to  8 tap system soon enough

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ozdevil said:

Now add up the real costs mate

beer and gas line
kegs
gas
regulator
beer font 
beer taps 
fittings

we all can make things look very cheap.. in what we buy  but sometimes we miss certain things

butheck mate very nice keezer though  regardless of cost in the end

i can see the font being changed over to  8 tap system soon enough

Ha.. very true but I already had all that gear so wasn't really an extra cost (this time!).

The single font is the one I took off the main kegerator when upgrading to triple font.

Already have a mini regulator I use for my 9.5l keg/esky set up, which I used for this. Only because it's only used minimal amount of time. I have a spare gas and reg for my kegerator and wheelie bin (only because at Christmas I ran out of gas, and accidentally got water in my reg. Very bad timing and didn't want to happen again), but since this won't get used much I have just used bulbs so far.

One tap will do for this though I think!

• Like 1

On 8/11/2021 at 9:51 AM, Journeyman said:

Nukataps are great - the sticky stuff issue is why I moved from the rear-closing taps I got originally. I would'a gone Intertaps because Beerbelly stocks them but SS nukas were half the price. Also stay away from the black ones - they look cool but I've seen several reports of the black wearing off and landing in the glass. I went the polished version with crhome handles and it looks schmicko.

Not sure why one tap has more resistance - once I started turning mine the correct way they were fine, although that multi-tool nub is a piss-off. Gonna take a file to it and take off the square edges so it seats properly - maybe then it will work without having to stand on one leg, stick a fork in the air, pray to Ganesh, cross your eyes and hold your mouth just so... 😄

I did discover one must be sure to do the collar up fully. One tap worked fine at serving pressure but when I failed to remove the beer - tap line before hitting it with 30 psi I got a gusher out the front of the fridge. 😄

On 8/10/2021 at 10:13 PM, jamiek86 said:

will try it with that tool tomorrow didn't even notice that thing of tool might make it easier. I just know the left one has more resistance in it than right. I'll be ordering Nukataps when back in stock from reviews they don't need come off to be cleaned as often. These taps had only seen few kegs each and were full of sticky stuff even though I run sanitiser through after each keg.

If they're anything like Perlicks they may never need to come off to be cleaned. I had mine in place for probably two years and I run sodium perc through them after every keg followed by a hot water rinse. One day I decided to dismantle one to see what it was like inside and couldn't find a single bit of crap in it. Fantastic taps. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

If they're anything like Perlicks they may never need to come off to be cleaned. I had mine in place for probably two years and I run sodium perc through them after every keg followed by a hot water rinse. One day I decided to dismantle one to see what it was like inside and couldn't find a single bit of crap in it. Fantastic taps. 

They might be so - The other day I took all my taps off for a clean (after the RIGHT TURN debacle 😄 )  and they were spotless inside.

But I couldn't afford Perlicks so I'm glad the Nuks are up to scratch. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Journeyman said:

They might be so - The other day I took all my taps off for a clean (after the RIGHT TURN debacle 😄 )  and they were spotless inside.

But I couldn't afford Perlicks so I'm glad the Nuks are up to scratch. 

I did the same👍 Very happy with nuks at this time. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I got mine 6 years ago, at the time they were about $90 each for the flow control ones. No idea what they are now. So far they've just been in place without any problems/repairs needed or anything. It's nice to see that decent long lasting quality still exists 🤪

Pretty sure it was a post of yours that convinced me to look around for front-seal taps and get rid of my rear seal ones. 😄

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

great to know when in stock I'll order some.