Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time 2021.

Pale Man

1 hour ago, Journeyman said:

Put a reminder in your phone if you can get a due date for them - if it's anything like Intertaps or Nukataps they vanish on day 1. 😄

thanks mate i think they are available tomorrow at keg land ill wake up in arvo tomorrow and try and get a couple.

My Coopers Sparkling Ale clone keg blew last night so I was able to give it a quick wash out with SP and let it soak for an hour or so before and good rinse out with hot water.  Pushed the keg full of sanitiser I had into it from the keg that was waiting to be filled with Otto’s Pilsner. CO2 to purge it.  That job done and its being forced carbed overnight. 

I can see I need another two kegs in my stash/pool as it is getting a bit tight due to storage of 4 x kegs of lagers and 3 x kegs of ales.  The eighth keg is full of sanitiser ready to be pushed into the next empty keg that comes available and I need to keg another brew tomorrow.  Got no hope of killing another keg that soon so will be glad when lock down ends so I can get over and pick up at least 2 more new kegs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

My Coopers Sparkling Ale clone keg blew last night so I was able to give it a quick wash out with SP and let it soak for an hour or so before and good rinse out with hot water.  Pushed the keg full of sanitiser I had into it from the keg that was waiting to be filled with Otto’s Pilsner. CO2 to purge it.  That job done and its being forced carbed overnight. 

I can see I need another two kegs in my stash/pool as it is getting a bit tight due to storage of 4 x kegs of lagers and 3 x kegs of ales.  The eighth keg is full of sanitiser ready to be pushed into the next empty keg that comes available and I need to keg another brew tomorrow.  Got no hope of killing another keg that soon so will be glad when lock down ends so I can get over and pick up at least 2 more new kegs.

I'm having a similar problem now with only 4 kegs trying to age my lagers properly so far my system has been have at least one pale ale on tap that i fast carb. This lets the lagers sit longer and have occasional taste testers. Now coming into warmer months i will be putting some batches of ales into bottles to help with stocks why trying to lager. I have also thought that i can sacrifice some lagers to drink early to let the other ones age the possibilities are endless 🍻

14 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Oh the pain of 1st world problems. 😄

• Haha 2

has anyone else purged a keg at serving pressure. serving and set and forget pressure for me is 14 psi I probably had 6cm of headspace done it 3 times from in post then twice from out post. Its a real pain to slide keggerator out to adjust all time then slide back on wall.

20 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

has anyone else purged a keg at serving pressure. serving and set and forget pressure for me is 14 psi I probably had 6cm of headspace done it 3 times from in post then twice from out post. Its a real pain to slide keggerator out to adjust all time then slide back on wall.

I don't burp purge my kegs now.  Since using a keg full of sanitiser and pushing all of it out with CO2 produced from a fermenting brew it is 100% purged to start with and ready to fill so no need.

Could you not make up a short line with a gas connector on the end and a tap so you could take off the serving pressure gas line click this one onto the keg in insitu and turn the tap to burp it.

OR

After taking off the gas line, could you not reach inside the Kegerator with a BBQ fork or something similar and simply lift the PRV ring?

Edited by iBooz2

9 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

@iBooz2 if I really need to up.the psi to burp the keg I can but my main question is does it really make a difference if up psi to over 20 or of a few more times at 14 psi is ok to purge?

Arh har, I see.  You need to get to your regulator at the back of the Kegerator to adjust up and down 

Look personally I would not bother upping the pressure as I have never done that back in the day.  Just leave it set to the serving pressure, then just burp a few more extra times that's all as that will have the same effect.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Arh har, I see.  You need to get to your regulator at the back of the Kegerator to adjust up and down 

Look personally I would not bother upping the pressure as I have never done that back in the day.  Just leave it set to the serving pressure, then just burp a few more extra times that's all as that will have the same effect.

thanks I was kind of hoping that would be the case but most textbook instructions would say up the pressure over 20 to do it and it was just a pain so I was taking the easy way out and hoping I wasn't going to oxidise it or something.

21 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

I'm having a similar problem now with only 4 kegs trying to age my lagers properly so far my system has been have at least one pale ale on tap that i fast carb. This lets the lagers sit longer and have occasional taste testers. Now coming into warmer months i will be putting some batches of ales into bottles to help with stocks why trying to lager. I have also thought that i can sacrifice some lagers to drink early to let the other ones age the possibilities are endless 🍻

Trying not to bottle anything this year except for stubbies to be taken away (when we can get away that is).  Becoming an expensive decision to keg and long term lager this year.  My kegged ales have a reasonable quick turn around of about 4 weeks and I need 4 kegs for those to cycle through this time frame.  Have not quite worked out an optimum time for my lagering of all the different lagers I am making but it could mean I have to have 6 or possibly 8 for the lagers alone which is blowing the beer budget somewhat.

Edited by iBooz2

16 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

...Becoming an expensive decision to keg and long term lager this year. 
...but it could mean I have to have 6 or possibly 8 for the lagers alone which is blowing the beer budget somewhat.

Here's the way to justify it.

19L keg = 44 x 425ml pints (SA pints 😄 )

425ml glass at pub = ~$8 (megaswill)

44 pints = $352

Cost per brew is circa $40 so savings per keg = $312.

4 new kegs = ~$460 so 2 x brews and you've saved 1.5x the cost of the new kegs. 😄 Or if you like, saved the cost of the kegs with %164 left over.

You're welcome... 😄 

Edited by Journeyman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

Here's the way to justify it.

19L keg = 44 x 425ml pints (SA pints 😄 )

425ml glass at pub = ~$8 (megaswill)

44 pints = $352

Cost per brew is circa $40 so savings per keg = $312.

4 new kegs = ~$460 so 2 x brews and you've saved 1.5x the cost of the new kegs. 😄 Or if you like, saved the cost of the kegs with %164 left over.

You're welcome... 😄 

That's really awesome when you put the figures like that, it should be easy for all of you guys to convince any SHMBO's that is the way to go, it's like Happy Hour ...

The More you Drink - The more you Save !!

• Haha 2

Kegged my Modus Operandi Former Tenant IPA clone on Friday night.  Recipe was adapted from Pig Den Brewing's recipe in the BrewFather recipe library.

Transferring half into first keg.

IMG_2536.JPG.4e76e791e8a48d330d2afc0ddcd2efa3.JPG

Split into two kegs, one for me and one for Brother-in-law.  Condensation line shows how full each keg is.  About 11 litres in each.

IMG_2537.JPG.f4724306a06ef059fce36a6aae58da3b.JPG

Finished a little lower than expected.  Should have been 1.019.  Now it will be about 8.5% ABV.  Lovely reddish colour.  This will condition for a while in the kegs.  No space in my kegerator for the time-being.  With Melbourne's lockdown, I cannot get the other keg to my brother-in-law for at least a week.

IMG_2539.JPG.27bc4f5e981fa8fd86c80da3d809bbaf.JPG

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Amber Ale kegged...   one keg and one bottle... should be ready for a sample later in the week ; )

Sneaking in at around 6% my first time London Lally ESB should be interesting ; )

(Hopefully is reasonable and thanks to @Tone boy Toner 👍 for help re this yeasty boy's behaviours and finishing SG etc 🙂)

image.thumb.png.77ca1a6b7ba8197ec6236caeb473655c.png

• Like 2

Got a bit of a dumb question: I'm about to force carbonate two 5l kegs of stout with a sodstream setup. Pressuring it up to 12 PSI and leaving it in the fridge for a few days seems to be the consensus for it.

I'm not sure on the exact process: fill the head space with CO2, purge the oxygen (the stout's been in the kegs for 5 days whilst I was waiting for the rest of the kit to be delivered, hope they haven't gone off...), then fill it to 12 PSI. At this point I can remove the CO2 cylinder, right ? 

Afterwards I'll be serving them with N2.

Cheers 🙂

On 8/18/2021 at 12:19 AM, stquinto said:

Got a bit of a dumb question: I'm about to force carbonate two 5l kegs of stout with a sodstream setup. Pressuring it up to 12 PSI and leaving it in the fridge for a few days seems to be the consensus for it.

I'm not sure on the exact process: fill the head space with CO2, purge the oxygen (the stout's been in the kegs for 5 days whilst I was waiting for the rest of the kit to be delivered, hope they haven't gone off...), then fill it to 12 PSI. At this point I can remove the CO2 cylinder, right ? 

Afterwards I'll be serving them with N2.

Cheers 🙂

No dumb questions.

• Yes, fill head space with CO2.
  • Yes, purge the O2.
  • No, Stout will not go off just sitting there (as long as keg is clean and sanitised).
  • Yes, fill to 12 psi.
  • No, do not remove the CO2 cylinder, or at least keep checking it and topping up as necessary.  If you just fill to 12 psi and then disconnect the CO2 cylinder, I think the beer will start to absorb the CO2 and the pressure in the keg will drop.  It will probably drop to a point where it will not force itself into the beer.  Many folks just set and forget.  Seven days at 12 psi and it will be ready.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

No dumb questions.

• Yes, fill head space with CO2.
  • Yes, purge the O2.
  • No, Stout will not go off just sitting there (as long as keg is clean and sanitised).
  • Yes, fill to 12 psi.
  • No, do not remove the CO2 cylinder, or at least keep checking it and topping up as necessary.  If you just fill to 12 psi and then disconnect the CO2 cylinder, I think the beer will start to absorb the CO2 and the pressure in the keg will drop.  It will probably drop to a point where it will not force itself into the beer.  Many folks just set and forget.  Seven days at 12 psi and it will be ready.

this is one reason why i set and forget  and not only that, i do the carbonation through the out post  as you also want the co2 to absorb into the liquid  and then once that is done  the head space will fill with co2 to pressurise  , then when ready  switch the gas post to its rightful post connect and drink..

The way i think @stquinto is doing it  is through  the outpost  due to wanting  to do nitro 
with his setup

@stquinto my advice is like @Shamus O'Sean stated leave it on until you are ready  to switch over to nitro and pour
if you already have the equimpent  there.

• Thanks 1

On 8/18/2021 at 12:19 AM, stquinto said:

Afterwards I'll be serving them with N2

@ozdevil and SQ, I forgot about this point. I do not know about Nitro systems. Maybe @Graubart, who I think uses it, could chime in.

Me thinks if you carbonate only with CO2, and then connect up Nitro for serving, the Nitro will not have had a chance to dissolve into the beer.  Maybe you need to carbonate with the Nitro. 

• Thanks 2