Coopers Community

What Are You Drinking in 2022?

Pezzza

9 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

BAVARIAN WHEAT BEER

I was concerned about the Longnecks of this wheat beer because it is only 2 1/2 weeks old, I have posted a shot of the 500ml bottles & they were fine, the point is I prime both size bottles with the same amount of sugar-6grams but the longnecks are lively & ready to drink.

1158107512_BAVARIANWHEATBEER13032022.thumb.jpg.2367c5ab78f1af4f02a303c55ac97460.jpg

After posting I couldn't help thinking in the background proudly displayed is BrewZilla but I have to wait for KL's delivery of parts before I can start.

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

BAVARIAN WHEAT BEER

Yumbo!  @Classic Brewing Co 

Just one tiny possible suggestion maybe and that is - don't you want the Wheat Beer Yeast in there as well to facilitate a Hefeweizen or are you deliberately drinking it Kristall ?  i.e. similar to Coopers Sparkling stirring in the yeast in the pour.

And to be a total Hefeweizen Fascist 😬...  mostly it is drunk in glassware akin to your 500ml Weihenstephaner Weißbiergläser ; )

Not trying to be PITA but just some suggestions on how it is mostly done where it comes from... please don't take as criticism...  and at the end of the day it is all about personal choice and your own preferences!

But I guess re the glass.... you could be having a 'hoiberte Hoibe' 🙂   

Think @Aussiekraut would understand my blithering haha 😋

Bit of a description of the HW vs Kristall below:

https://alkypal.com.au/beer/ale/wheat-ale.html

And...

8 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

in the background proudly displayed is BrewZilla

Haha I was just about to raise that when your last post came through mate haha!  Looks like a lovely bit of kit indeed : )

Edited by Itinerant Peasant
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Yumbo!  @Classic Brewing Co 

Just one tiny possible suggestion maybe and that is - don't you want the Wheat Beer Yeast in there as well to facilitate a Hefeweizen or are you deliberately drinking it Kristall ?  i.e. similar to Coopers Sparkling stirring in the yeast in the pour.

And to be a total Hefeweizen Fascist 😬...  mostly it is drunk in glassware akin to your 500ml Weihenstephaner Weißbiergläser ; )

Not trying to be PITA but just some suggestions on how it is mostly done where it comes from... please don't take as criticism... 

But I guess you could be having a 'hoiberte Hoibe' 🙂   

Think @Aussiekraut would understand my blithering haha 😋

Bit of a description of the HW vs Kristall below:

https://alkypal.com.au/beer/ale/wheat-ale.html

And...

Haha I was just about to raise that when your last post came through mate haha!  Looks like a lovely bit of kit indeed : )

IP I used the WB-06 yeast which delivers more to style, it was a kit, all I know it tastes very nice.

20220313_143234.jpg

• Like 3

Hazy IPA with Mosaic for bittering and a truckload of Citra done as a dry hop, pressure fermented with Nottingham. The photo perhaps does not show it but it is very hazy and it is a nice IPA. Only kegged it yesterday and it may be better in a day or 2.

1922e.png

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

Hazy IPA with Mosaic for bittering and a truckload of Citra done as a dry hop, pressure fermented with Nottingham. The photo perhaps does not show it but it is very hazy and it is a nice IPA. Only kegged it yesterday and it may be better in a day or 2.

1922e.png

Looks awesome mate!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/12/2022 at 7:17 PM, interceptor said:

Congrats mate! Did it turn out like the HB version?

Hey mate, thank you! Flavour wise yes, pretty bang on. Only difference is that I bottle condition my home version in champagne bottles and highly prime it. Couldn’t do that this time due to it being kegged and having to match the rest of the beers c02 levels as to not mess with the line length etc. 

• Like 2

On 3/12/2022 at 7:42 PM, Classic Brewing Co said:

Bloody awesome Mitch, as usual, that looks fantastic, well done, I bet it tastes divine. My Stubby Holder/Bar Mat suppliers are in the Gold Coast so if I ever get up there I will call into the Brewery.

Thank you! Yep, pop in, I’ll be there!

• Like 1

On 3/12/2022 at 8:06 PM, ozdevil said:

Awesome stuff mate, i hope the punters enjoy your saison.    
even better  when you sit near the punters sipping on a cold beer and hearing the punters saying such a good beer

love the colour of your Saison mate

Thanks Dev, it is great but also somewhat a bit daunting, particularly when staff from other local breweries pop in and give it go.

• Like 2

On 3/12/2022 at 10:15 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

That's outstanding, Mitch.  Brew looks great.  What a great opportunity for you.  It might open up some new options.  I can see it now:  MitchBastard - Head Brewer.

Thanks Shamus, not sure I want a head brewers job any time soon, I want to be actually touch the brew kit 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/12/2022 at 11:23 PM, RDT2 said:

Well done mate that’s awesome looks the goods🍻 Must be a good feeling. It would be interesting to watch people drinking the beer knowing it’s yours on a commercial scale! I just saw the alcohol 7.4% wow 🤩 

Thanks mate, it sure is. Yeah turned out a bit stronger than my version some how. Certainly doesn’t taste like a 7.4%er which is a bit dangerous 😂

• Like 2

Back on the home brew train for this post. 
Bottled up my vintage ale yesterday. Managed 8.5 litres as i disregarded what even was close to the yeast cake. Fairly happy with that volume to be Honest. I only ever set out to brew 11 litres and did have a little bit of volume issues on brew day.  Really nice deep amber/toffee like colour. Sampling it cold takes the edge of the heat which I’m hoping will subside with age as the those “oxidative” and caramel/candy like notes move to the front.  With bottle priming the abv sits just under 9%. I’m not a “big beer”’drinker too often so I’m happy to let these sit around for as long as they need.  4161FD24-F4BC-4231-A60F-6F7DBE1C2953.thumb.jpeg.a71d9a2f9d3a1f9029ac06aea473a4bb.jpeg

following the bottling I kegged up the new version of my house kolsch. Normally I use the lally koln strain but went a different route this time and went with the k97. I think the k97 is here to stay. All the usual players in this beer, just a more preferable  yeast character this time around. Will post a photo once she’s carbed up.

9512ED5B-7B08-4E20-883E-1583D6D7B7AB.thumb.jpeg.b91bdffc9896586145e8b833c1792c7b.jpeg

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Pale Man said:

When youre all grain as a beginner you cant go wrong with a SMASH. Single Malt And Single Hop.

Gets you into technique and what skills you may need to brush up on. All these fancy IPA's, NEIPAS and whatever could overload you.

I've found that i like the taste of a certain malt and hop. Especially German Wheat beers and the like, that are just a simple creation but delicious to drink. Then after that go for gold. All grain is a different animal. You brew whatever you want, you dont rely on that can for flavour. 

Sound advice @Pale ManI will take that onboard Ta.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

My version of a Sparkling Ale. Gladfeild Ale Malt. Bittered with Pride Of Ringwood. Delicious again. 5 days kegged. This one is a big hitter. 6.5 kilo of grain.

I think I will be ordering a 25kg of Gladfield as I believe it is pretty much one of the better grains for most ales, I love the colour of your beer & I can smell the POR from here.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Gladfield got me started. I'd advice for you to get Hoppy to bag up a recipe. But dont put your blinkers on, theres a lot of grain out there, and hops. That will come later.

All Grain brewing is endless. Its about what style. I'd like @Hoppy81 to get another base malt in for more variety. But i dont run his business so i dont know how hard it is. All i can do as a customer is throw stuff at him. I can be very critical. I dont mean to be, thats how i am.

Him and his family are so good and doing the best they can. But nothing is roses so i throw in a spanner.

Yeah thanks for your input, I can clearly see now that buying a kit for an AG recipe is not economical as you would get say 5 brews of a 25kg bag compared to 5kg at full retail, the plot thickens I will have to build up a stock of various grains & hops for my new venture.

ATM I have to kits to brew so that will get me started, I read in awe at some of the recipes posted on here from some of the experienced AG brewers so I will move in slowly & watch & learn, Cheers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I can clearly see now that buying a kit for an AG recipe is not economical as you would get say 5 brews of a 25kg bag compared to 5kg at full retail, the plot thickens I will have to build up a stock of various grains & hops for my new venture.

just dont go overboard  when picking grain .   its basicly your base malts you will  be using  so a couple of different base malts like  ale , marris otter  maybe a pilsner malt    then just buy the specialty malts  as you need them .   

A.g kits are convieniant specially for those   who are unsure in how to create a recipe and just want most of the yards done for them or just starting out

• Like 1

On 2/28/2022 at 7:41 AM, Mickep said:

@iBooz2 Boozer, that looks to be an incredibly fine looking beer. When I switch to BIAB or AG I'd like to have a crack at this. You make an interesting point about Dubbya and the DL yeast, could you expand on that a little?

@Mickep , Dubbya makes a very good lager but IMO DL yeast makes it better.  Sort of like comparing an ordinary lager versus a premium lager.

You get yourself setup ready for a lager ferment and have 2 x packs of fresh DL yeast at the ready and I will make you one of my AG LL FWK (cubed up) for you to try.  That's how confident I am.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

@Mickep , Dubbya makes a very good lager but IMO DL yeast makes it better.  Sort of like comparing an ordinary lager versus a premium lager.

You get yourself setup ready for a lager ferment and have 2 x packs of fresh DL yeast at the ready and I will make you one of my AG LL FWK (cubed up) for you to try.  That's how confident I am.

WOW oh Wow! Boozer, Al mate - @Itinerant PeasantIP mate,  are ya listening to this ya all. You'd have to join in this for sure. Well I love the Dubbya and I sorta thought that was the mountain top but clearly I might be on the wrong mountain. I'm definitely going to give the DL a crack next time I'm ready to fire up the Fermenters for a lager. I'll be using your Pub style beer to Al, I'm excited about this mate.

Cheers Mickp

Edited by Mickep

18 minutes ago, Mickep said:

I love the Dubbya and I sorta thought that was the mountain top

Yeah I think @Mickep and @iBooz2 Brewers that all the yeasts are a bit different from one another and that they all contribute in different ways and depends what yer want really... 

I don't think that with AG there is such a thing as an ordinary or a premium lager.... there is just good beer - and then each to their own with the particular grains, temps, hop selection and choice of timing... and the water profile and the conditioning time and the carbonation level and serving pressure and glass type and....  you make whatever you think is good.

As for ordinary or premium lagers anyway - with an Australian style I am guessing - when I went to Germany as a young fella after drinking "Aussie Lager" I was surprised at the difference... but that light bodied style can also be refreshing in the heat too.  When I went to the UK from Germany I was thinking - wotszisthen warm flat stuff... but then playing Rugby with some mates there was nothing better than a half warm flat Pommy Ale after a game...  

And there are plenty of us who use US05 and are happy with that - and I know my champion Salumi Mentor @interceptor is not a big supporter... and I respect that, but for my own "Let the Malts and the Hops do the talkin' " Brews well it seems ok to me....  it's well behaved and floccs out nice... so hey... it does a particular job that I sometimes want in a brew. 

So each to their own - and I don't think one is BETTER than the other - no Mountain Tops or Valleys of Doom... just different beer styles and different palates and it's all about personal choice 👍

I used to think that anything below around 5.5% was an utter joke... but now am excited about 'brewing down' in ABV... and I think that @Aussiekraut the real Bavarian used to be not into Fruit Tingles and now is brewing Sours... go figure...  Variety and new and different things are just great. 

And so I am wanting to have a crack at lower ABV and have brewed a 2%er and the other day used WWWTTTFFF some dex in an Aussie Thinboy... outrageous I hear my Reinheitsgebot Party roar... but hey - just different and whatever tickles yer fancy 🙂

• Like 4