Coopers Community

What Are You Drinking in 2022?

Pezzza

2 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Wow Yum @RDT2 and yes agree w SOS @Shamus O'Sean amazing colour!

Just beautiful!  What were your Malts?

I used 20grams of carafa iii which was 0.4% of the grist. Sorry deleted part of your question which was what was the %of the grist🤣

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Sampled my vintage ale two nights ago. No photo as it didn’t look like much in the glass. Carbonation wasn’t where it needed to be yet. I primed them low (2.2vols) so wasn’t expecting a big frothy boy but more time was certainly what’s needed. I was more so sampling for flavour more than anything. Actually really happy with how it’s turned out and it’s only 3 weeks in the bottle. Toffee/burnt caramel up front, malt at the back, few complexities that are there but will develop over their coming months. 

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

Looks great, care to share the recipe?

Sure mate. 9.5L batch so you will have to scale it. The mineral additions will obviously vary depending on your water profile. Other than that a simple beer. Pilsener and dextrose. The key is the yeast and the fermentation temps. Start low about 18c and raise to the mid 20s about a degree everyday. 

Screenshot_20220330-222159_BeerSmith 3.jpg

Screenshot_20220330-222207_BeerSmith 3.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, interceptor said:

Don't top up. Get less beer with more alcohol.

DO a dry run with just water to check your boil off, assume @Itinerant Peasant has put you on the corrrect paaaaaath

Yes he has & I understand now what I should have done, he has shown me the corrrect paaaaaath 😀

I do agree with you though it's better to have a full bodied beer than something a bit light on.

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

It means it could be beer I made 😋 I think it could be a lower ABV as I didn't allow for water loss in the boil & had to top it up checking the levels but our good friend @Itinerant Peasanthas put me on the right track for next time. 

The thing is that the boil off rate seems to vary from brewer to brewer. I usually get about 4l boil off per hour but others using the same system get less. In the end, I don't care as I know my system and how it works for me, so I brew accordingly. You will figure things out as you go and create your own method of doing things. Congrats to the first AG brew. The beers will get better as you progress and learn. Once you figured things out, you can pump out consistent beers. 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

put me on the right track for next time. 

29 minutes ago, interceptor said:

put you on the corrrect paaaaaath

8 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

The beers will get better as you progress and learn

Aaaah there are so many different paths to the Top of the Mountain on the BBJ   ; )

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

The thing is that the boil off rate seems to vary from brewer to brewer. I usually get about 4l boil off per hour but others using the same system get less. In the end, I don't care as I know my system and how it works for me, so I brew accordingly. You will figure things out as you go and create your own method of doing things. Congrats to the first AG brew. The beers will get better as you progress and learn. Once you figured things out, you can pump out consistent beers. 

Cheers for that AK, I was pretty stoked about getting through it with a few minor hiccups but then we have this wonderful forum of talented, experienced & helpful brewers. This is totally a new direction for me but I can clearly see now that I will improve on techniques & find ways to conquer the whole process.

• Like 3

I am very happy I now have nitro! Problem is I don’t have anything to serve on nitro. So I thought I’ll just break every lager enthusiasts heart. I’ve put my Munich Dunkel on nitro which has been in the keg for 3 days. It’s pretty good bit like Kilkenny😊. I going to brew a stout tomorrow 🙌 

74AA8C7F-DD02-4D86-8857-12EA5FF39D45.jpeg

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, interceptor said:

I'm drinking my Eisbock. Finished a 2000 word essay I started yesterday.... so I am done

@interceptor you mean to say you do all your one liner's here on this forum and keep the 2000 word essays for someone else?

You floozy.  😂

Edited by iBooz2
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Well the airlock just started it's business on yesterdays first ever AG brew so I thought why not have another bottle of this delightful Real Ale.

So no longer and AG virgin huh? 

Well done Phil, look forward to reports and tasting notes on this one and others down the track - cheers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1