Coopers Community

What Are You Drinking in 2022?

Pezzza

Partners in crime.

Lemon Myrtle Weizen.  ABV 4.8%.

It’s the Coopers “Lemon Zest Weizen” recipe with leaves from my plant. 
One of the most refreshing beers I had so far. The subtle lemoniness of the Lemon Myrtle is so good. What an amazing plant.

Will I brew it again? Absolutely, I have an end less supply of Lemon Myrtle leaves. 
By the way, Coopers “Lemon Myrtle Pale Ale” recipe is a cracker too. Pity I drank them all already.AC9BB4AC-13BD-42E1-8725-5563935A334A.thumb.jpeg.9b0e241175d057ea56f147d63cbc4e3a.jpeg8F195906-057D-4560-8511-8C15023875D6.thumb.jpeg.ea2ad214576af7761b01deb2fd9430a6.jpeg

Edited by Brauhaus Fritz
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Partners in crime.

One of the most refreshing beers I had so far. The subtle lemoniness of the Lemon Myrtle is so good. What an amazing plant.

Will I brew it again? Absolutely, I have an end less supply of Lemon Myrtle leaves. 
By the way, Coopers “Lemon Myrtle Pale Ale” recipe is a cracker too. Pity I drank them all already.AC9BB4AC-13BD-42E1-8725-5563935A334A.thumb.jpeg.9b0e241175d057ea56f147d63cbc4e3a.jpeg8F195906-057D-4560-8511-8C15023875D6.thumb.jpeg.ea2ad214576af7761b01deb2fd9430a6.jpeg

That sounds delicious.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Tone boy said:

After sanding weatherboards today, washing the dust down with an English bitter. 
044139B4-78B0-4C4C-BDE2-114FAF6D63C1.thumb.jpeg.d33a51c4790d1ca10ba7450c10e30620.jpeg

Toner, mate looks really nice mate, and the backdrop looks divine too. Without giving away where you are - can you tell us where about's you live - looks beautiful.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Partners in crime.

Brauhaus Fritz,

that looks beautiful. I must try that.

Edited by Mickep
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Toner, mate looks really nice mate, and the backdrop looks divine too. Without giving away where you are - can you tell us where about's you live - looks beautiful.

Thanks Mick. I’m in north east Victoria not far from Lake Eildon. It’s a small town, pretty quiet but we like it here. About 2 hours drive to Melbourne if we need to make a dash to the big smoke 👍

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

It looks nice, I never had an English Bitter, are they really bitter? What do they kind of compare too? Sorry for my ignorance

They have a fairly strong bitterness but not as bitter as say an IPA. This one came in at 35 IBU’s. I used the Coopers pale ale kit as the base and built it up from there. Next one I think I’ll go a bit darker. 

What do they compare to? Well they are a pale ale but with English malts, hops and yeast. I used maris otter (liquid extract) and golden promise in this one.(as well as crystal). Think of a malty pale ale with earthy hops rather than fruity hops that you get in an American pale ale…

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Tone boy said:

Looks great @BlackSandsSandman 👍

You have the recipe??

Im planning on making a few of these types of beers over the cooler months and looking for inspiration…

I’m going to try a partial mash with the Coopers family secret amber kit as the base - an ESB type thingy with Fuggles and golden promise…

Cheers Tone 👍🍻

This was a 20 litre stove-top AG, but you could of course do something similar as a partial -  I often use the Coopers OS lager can as a neutral base and build on that.

Anyway,  my AG recipe was:

• 2.8kg GF Ale Malt 
  • 200g GF Dark Crystal
  • 200g Wheat Malt
  • 100 GF Biscuit Malt
  • 20g Pacific Jade @30mins
  • 30g Fuggles @10mins
  • 70g Fuggles @FO

🤓

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Tone boy said:

They have a fairly strong bitterness but not as bitter as say an IPA. This one came in at 35 IBU’s. I used the Coopers pale ale kit as the base and built it up from there. Next one I think I’ll go a bit darker. 

What do they compare to? Well they are a pale ale but with English malts, hops and yeast. I used maris otter (liquid extract) and golden promise in this one.(as well as crystal). Think of a malty pale ale with earthy hops rather than fruity hops that you get in an American pale ale…

That sounds interesting, I might have to try to make some, unfortunately the queue is quiet long, I have seven kits in line. Both Coopers recipes of the month April, 3 Woodforde’s and two Munton’s.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tone boy said:

Thanks Mick. I’m in north east Victoria not far from Lake Eildon. It’s a small town, pretty quiet but we like it here. About 2 hours drive to Melbourne if we need to make a dash to the big smoke 👍

You near Thornton or Rubicon Toner?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

That sounds interesting, I might have to try to make some, unfortunately the queue is quiet long, I have seven kits in line. Both Coopers recipes of the month April, 3 Woodforde’s and two Munton’s.

I agree with the other's comments, every Bitter I have made has turned out nice.

• Like 1

The wife and I are spending the week at Coolangatta so will be trying a few different beers.  Right now tasting a Hope Brewery NEIPA.   First impression is the bitterness. Not like a beer bitterness at all. More the taste of quinine like in bitter lemon.  The hop character is stone fruit and citrus hence the bitter lemon flavour.   I suppose it is an acquired taste. Whether I want to acquire it is different thing.   At $8 a can I will pass on another one.    No doubt would be better on tap and fresh. 

aaasaassasasas.jpg

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Mickep said:

You near Thornton or Rubicon Toner?

I used to live in Rubicon. In Alexandra now though. You would be one the the few people to know about Rubicon, other than those that live up this way 😉. It’s a hidden gem

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Wattle yeast beer. Brewed about 3 and a half months ago. Funky and seems to have a little brett in the background. SG is still up at 1.006 so I am not sure if it's brett or just something else in what the yeast is throwing. It's not bad but not the best saisoney type beer I have had. 

20220416_171926.jpg

I was wondering how that would turn out. I’d be interested to know if you repitched the slurry, whether the healthy yeast produced a different beer. I suspect it would…

I suspect that the stressed yeast from the first ferment would have thrown some funky esters, but the yeast that thrived, maybe less so…

Thanks for posting Greeny 👍

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

I was wondering how that would turn out. I’d be interested to know if you repitched the slurry, whether the healthy yeast produced a different beer. I suspect it would…

I suspect that the stressed yeast from the first ferment would have thrown some funky esters, but the yeast that thrived, maybe less so…

Thanks for posting Greeny 👍

Hey mate. I made a starter out of the slurry rather than pitched straight slurry. It is less funky than the first one I made but has this bretty type taste in the background. The gravity suggests though that it's not brett otherwise the gravity would have dropped further. I put this in a keg as I was going away for a while and didn't want bottle bombs in case there was something else eating away. I think the yeast I got from my experiment is pure sacchromyces cerevisiae with the hopped wort I used. It's not bad but if I was aiming to make a saison I'd be using my favourite WY3726, Dupont or belle saison before this. I'm keen to try again this year in late winter when the wattle comes out again but with unhopped wort and see what I get. 

• Like 2

On 4/15/2022 at 5:56 PM, DavidM said:

Early taste of the "Brew A" I like, give it another week (can't see me waiting much longer) and this might be real good!

Three weeks in the bottle

20220415_163042.thumb.jpg.2749f178e0ddc2e46ab2933192fa356b.jpg

Yeah.. I couldn't wait, well I did two days, had to try it again.

Yes it's Good, I'll pick up another Can Tuesday and brew again!

🍻

• Like 1