Coopers Community

What Are You Drinking in 2022?

Pezzza

9 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

Right everyone can go fluff themselves.

Nothing wrong with a good fluffing.

9 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

Cheers to Ben for a heaps up on some yeast

Happy to help Kirk, was going to email you, it's been a while.

I bought a motorbike BTW!

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, disgruntled said:

Nothing wrong with a good fluffing.

Happy to help Kirk, was going to email you, it's been a while.

I bought a motorbike BTW!

Of course you bought a motorbike. Be like those hairy biker lads on the food channel. ha ha ha

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Marty_G said:

It is a great yeast.  I now use it for most of my lagers.  Ferments very clean and is fast.  Has an range of 18-20c.  

I think I fermented it at about 15 then let it free rise to 18 at the end to make sure there was no diacetyl. Turned out pretty good. Ill back off on the bitterness next time. Just a little.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Looks good mate, you have me wondering if my AG beers will turn out like that.

I’m sure there’ll be lots of “learning” along the way mate but I’m sure they’ll be every bit as good and better once you get in the groove. 👍🍻

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

I think I fermented it at about 15 then let it free rise to 18 at the end to make sure there was no diacetyl. Turned out pretty good. Ill back off on the bitterness next time. Just a little.

That is a bit low for it if you do it higher no D rest is needed. That is one of the strengths of the yeast and  it is considered a true lager yeast. 

Screenshot (35)a.png

• Like 3

19 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

On advice from our good friend Ben, MJ54.

it clearly doesn’t have the same sulphur producing properties as other yeasts as I never got sick from this type. Pretty much tastes like an ale though

It is great that you do not get any reaction with this yeast.  I have used the MJ54 Californian Lager a few times now.  Usually in Aussie Lager type beers.  I have been happy with their lager-y flavour and aroma.  It seems like it goes well in a New Zealand Pilsner style too.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Marty_G said:

That is a bit low for it if you do it higher no D rest is needed. That is one of the strengths of the yeast and  it is considered a true lager yeast. 

Screenshot (35)a.png

Yep it is a bit low, (according to MJ) did this intentionally through the growth phase. Result was a very clean, highly attenuated NZ Pils.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

It is great that you do not get any reaction with this yeast.  I have used the MJ54 Californian Lager a few times now.  Usually in Aussie Lager type beers.  I have been happy with their lager-y flavour and aroma.  It seems like it goes well in a New Zealand Pilsner style too.

Yeah its a good yeast. In fact when I do lagers, Ill continue using this one.

I don't much care for the "lager taste" however, the attenuation is something that is good. Drying out a fair bit. 

Ill do a commercial style lager soon, with a touch of dextrose and try to get it around the 1.004 mark and about 18-20 ibus. with only a bittering addition of hops.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Looks good mate, you have me wondering if my AG beers will turn out like that.

Once you start nailing all grain you wont know yourself. There's a noticeable step up. Beer tastes fresher and not so home brewish.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Once you start nailing all grain you wont know yourself. There's a noticeable step up. Beer tastes fresher and not so home brewish.

I certainly hope so @Pale ManI can see from all of the videos I have been watching that it really is a basic process as long as you get your volumes & temps right, I am looking forward to trying it. Cheers.

• Like 3

Galaxy Pale Ale.  Galaxy hops have always been hard to get hold of here so I was quite excited when I finally, for the first time after all these years actually manged to get my hands on some.  It's THE most expensive hop I've ever purchased but for me galaxy is the best hop in the history of the hop universe that I've ever experienced!  😄   Just 50g added late to flavour up this beer and I gotta it's just great. Absolutely love it!    👍

GalaxyPA.jpg

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

Galaxy Pale Ale.  Galaxy hops have always been hard to get hold of here so I was quite excited when I finally, for the first time after all these years actually manged to get my hands on some.  It's THE most expensive hop I've ever purchased but for me galaxy is the best hop in the history of the hop universe that I've ever experienced!  😄   Just 50g added late to flavour up this beer and I gotta it's just great. Absolutely love it!    👍

GalaxyPA.jpg

How come they are hard to get I would have thought they would be readily available in NZ.  Where do you live Invercargill? 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Marty_G said:

How come they are hard to get I would have thought they would be readily available in NZ.  Where do you live Invercargill? 

I'm in Auckland. I don't know what they are scarce.   This is all I have available to me at the moment:  

Screenshot 2022-03-06 193424.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

well   my hop slam ipa that i just tapped soon as i got back from tassie
20220306_173656.thumb.jpg.a8c2260209270acd370afbc0b0615848.jpg

As an all grain brewer i dont try mant extract brews and i think this is the only 2nd extract i have done   and both extracts was recipes of the month..

what i have found is this one lacks head but i only have had 2 pours from the keg.  hope ever i found the bitterness very lacking in this ipa  but heck for an extract brew i do like 

mind you this extract wasnt done with the same ingredients  and was a replacement for 1 that went missing and used kveik yeast in this.

i managed to squeeze 5.2% out of this then the  target of 5.1%  not that will make alot of difference

kveik yeast was rather neutral in taste  

the hops was mosaic and  sequoia  which married up nice  together give a nice juicy taste

Clarity is not what i was expecting but rather hazy  i thought it would clear up nicely but  i only gave this 2 days cold crash normally i would do 5-7

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

well   my hop slam ipa that i just tapped soon as i got back from tassie
20220306_173656.thumb.jpg.a8c2260209270acd370afbc0b0615848.jpg

As an all grain brewer i dont try mant extract brews and i think this is the only 2nd extract i have done   and both extracts was recipes of the month..

what i have found is this one lacks head but i only have had 2 pours from the keg.  hope ever i found the bitterness very lacking in this ipa  but heck for an extract brew i do like 

mind you this extract wasnt done with the same ingredients  and was a replacement for 1 that went missing and used kveik yeast in this.

i managed to squeeze 5.2% out of this then the  target of 5.1%  not that will make alot of difference

kveik yeast was rather neutral in taste  

the hops was mosaic and  sequoia  which married up nice  together give a nice juicy taste

Clarity is not what i was expecting but rather hazy  i thought it would clear up nicely but  i only gave this 2 days cold crash normally i would do 5-7

Well it looks OK, nice colour but lacking a head, ah well back to the drawing board. 😀 As long as it taste's nice.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Red devil 44 said:

Not what I’m drinking but my brother, he’s on holiday in Adelaide and sent me this from the Glenelg Surf Club today. 

South Coast Pale Ale, he sent it to me to post on the forum so why not I say. 
@MUZZY@Classic Brewing Co, not sure of any other South Aussies on here, I’m sure there are, apologies. 

55AD1F93-0C58-47D5-ADA0-A326E936121A.png

It's definitely PALE. Glenelg is Classic's side of town. I'm a hillbilly. 😄 

• Haha 7

Just now, Red devil 44 said:

Not what I’m drinking but my brother, he’s on holiday in Adelaide and sent me this from the Glenelg Surf Club today. 

South Coast Pale Ale, he sent it to me to post on the forum so why not I say. 
@MUZZY@Classic Brewing Co, not sure of any other South Aussies on here, I’m sure there are, apologies. 

55AD1F93-0C58-47D5-ADA0-A326E936121A.png

Hey RD I could walk there in 10 minutes, nice place, plenty of beers too. Good place to be on holidays too, I am on holidays everyday.

🤣🍻

• Like 2
  • Haha 3