Coopers Community

What Are You Drinking in 2022?

Pezzza

22 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

This is a pale ale hopped with Citra and Amarillo. Could probably use a bit more bitterness. I have a stainless hop spider I use but I have to get to craftbrewer and get one of the socks I usually use, I feel like I get better utilisation with those. Either way it's not bad, better than spending $70 on a carton

20220226_111801.thumb.jpg.ba11054a87ec75c2e2a432fac67a7f0d.jpg

Never been a fan of the hop spider…..used it once and couldn’t really see the benefit in the hops being confined to that one part of the kettle particularly if the hop load is on the higher end of things, plus they’re a bugger to clean. Converted straight to a small paint strainer bag that allows the hops a bit more breathing room and flits around.

pale looks great btw. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, MitchBastard said:

Never been a fan of the hop spider…..used it once and couldn’t really see the benefit in the hops being confined to that one part of the kettle particularly if the hop load is on the higher end of things, plus they’re a bugger to clean. Converted straight to a small paint strainer bag that allows the hops a bit more breathing room and flits around.

pale looks great btw. 

Yeah, it hasn't been too bad but the sock works better. It's just Capalaba is miles away so trying to find time to get there isn't easy. Maybe I should just order one and have it sent here. I tried using a grain bag in that way once when I had flowers but it mucked up the boil off rate. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Hilltop hops said:

Having a taste of my first AG Lager. All pilsner, Saaz and W34/70.  Needs longer only 4 weeks in the keg but it's good already. Thanks to @iBooz2for fermentation advice. 

Well done @Hilltop hops looking good and glad it worked out for you.  Keep the keg under serving pressure for another 2 - 3 weeks and it will clear up nicely.

Next one use same grain bill and some Diamond Lager yeast as I think its a slightly better yeast than Dubbya for a pub style lager.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

+ 1

Only used mine once too.  Now I use my hop hoop device and it moves around in the boil and eventually covers the whole of the kettle wort due to the turbulence of the boil.  And it has plenty of room for the hops to release their goodness.  Plus super easy to clean,  just rinse and then throw the hop sock into the coffee plunger full of hot SP solution and leave for a day or so.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

Never been a fan of the hop spider…..used it once and couldn’t really see the benefit in the hops being confined to that one part of the kettle

Agreed, i dont use mine any more. Hop utilization is so much better. I just go commando in the Brewzilla and have not yet had a problem. I plan to brew a big IPA next so that will be a test.

• Like 4

Another Leigh's Lager, this sample of the third dirty batch I did in the the 58 L Kegmenter and was kegged on 31 January 2022.

Damn condensation on the glass kept coming back so makes it look a bit darker EBC and less clear than it really is but this is a "see though beer" which tastes great.  I reckon the DL yeast got better with each batch so next time I do a run of these will push it to 4 x dirty batches.

LL Dirty Batch #3 - 4 weeks in the keg - resized.jpg

• Like 12

13 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Another Leigh's Lager, this sample of the third dirty batch I did in the the 58 L Kegmenter and was kegged on 31 January 2022.

Damn condensation on the glass kept coming back so makes it look a bit darker EBC and less clear than it really is but this is a "see though beer" which tastes great.  I reckon the DL yeast got better with each batch so next time I do a run of these will push it to 4 x dirty batches.

LL Dirty Batch #3 - 4 weeks in the keg - resized.jpg

@iBooz2 Boozer, that looks to be an incredibly fine looking beer. When I switch to BIAB or AG I'd like to have a crack at this. You make an interesting point about Dubbya and the DL yeast, could you expand on that a little?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Some beers are, others are better earlier such as hoppy pale ales which are usually past their best after months. 

I've formed the same opinion. I do a lot of K&K Dry Hopped Pale ales which are quite drinkable at 2 weeks in the bottle, then at 4 weeks they appear to peak and then it seems to be a slippery slope downward after that, at least to my taste buds.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Some beers are, others are better earlier such as hoppy pale ales which are usually past their best after months.

Yeah, I'll second that. At least the Coopers recipes tell you if they should be kept or not. I have made half batches because of that, but then I regretted only having a half batch... that was the case for the Ashes Ale I made.

Obviously higher-alcohol brews take a bit of maturing too. If you have enough stock to tide you over and therefore manage to age brews like the Coopers Vintages you're rewarded after 6 months or so.

• Like 3

Coopers Pale Ale

I am having the first taste of the Pale Ale I did with Kveik ( compliments @iBooz2 Al, Cheers ) I dry hopped with 25gm of Galaxy on day 4, despite cussing & cursing at bottling as the filling wand started to clog on the last 5-6 litres.

This would be the closest I have got to the commercial version, it tastes stunning, fruity, aromatic, I can taste the hops & a nice bitter finish, surprisingly clear to. I may give myself the rest of the day off. 🤣

Seriously this is made to drink now & I am going to have another one. Cheers.

65716566_COOPERSPALEALE1STMAR2022.thumb.jpg.4bcb2c26ac4632cdae73761d092a2e2f.jpg

• Like 7