Coopers Community

What Are You Drinking in 2022?

Pezzza

13 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Classic, do you mind sharing the recipe for this? Looks beeeeautiful mate! I've just done a Bootmaker and it's really quite bitter - only 3 weeks in the bottle though.

Sure, here it is, I have one Grolsch bottle left for this afternoons slurp 😋 meeting a few mates at my (new) local this arvo' so I will save it until I get home, Cheers.

20220212_095942.thumb.jpg.8454f7be889e6dc7261c7720c104bd96.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mickep said:

Classic, do you mind sharing the recipe for this? Looks beeeeautiful mate! I've just done a Bootmaker and it's really quite bitter - only 3 weeks in the bottle though.

Mine was bitter too Mick. A bit too much for my liking. I think the original pale ale is more to my tastes.

Probably a good base for an IPA though...

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Don't you guys think Coopers would be better off marketing their DIY Kit with a Pale Ale - rather than the dodgy half-baked Lager with an Ale Yeast?

It's a good question you pose.  Probably one Coopers has thought about themselves.  I am not sure cost really comes into it a lot.  Repeat business does.

The Australian Pale Ale kit is not exactly the same as the Commercial Coopers Original Pale Ale.  Would that outcome put off brewers?

The Coopers Original Series Lager has plenty of opportunity for improvement.  Just look at some of @BlackSands's brews based on this kit. It is hard to get wrong too.

Look, most of us did the Lager brew and are still here.  Maybe that says something.  Would there be more of us here if the kit came with an Australian Pale Ale can?

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Would there be more of us here if the kit came with an Australian Pale Ale can?

I understand why they wouldn't give you options selling through external retail like big w and the like, but the ones they sell through the coopers website, I am surprised there isn't an option to choose the can and fermentables that come with it. even if it changed the price slightly if you got one of the higher level cans.

One of the reasons I bought my starter kit from LHBS was that I could choose the can that came with it. I wish I could go back and tell myself to get the coopers starter kit because I love their fermenter design. I've bought one now because I broke the tap on the LHBS kit. I honestly have no idea what I'm going to do with the larger can

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

It's a good question you pose.  Probably one Coopers has thought about themselves.  I am not sure cost really comes into it a lot.  Repeat business does.

The Australian Pale Ale kit is not exactly the same as the Commercial Coopers Original Pale Ale.  Would that outcome put off brewers?

The Coopers Original Series Lager has plenty of opportunity for improvement.  Just look at some of @BlackSands's brews based on this kit. It is hard to get wrong too.

Look, most of us did the Lager brew and are still here.  Maybe that says something.  Would there be more of us here if the kit came with an Australian Pale Ale can?

Good Points Shamus I suppose we should be grateful that Starter/Brew Kits actually come with the ingredients.

There are websites & LHBS offering items individually as Coopers at Dan Murphy's, Big W etc.

I saw a promo once where you buy a Starter Kit & get to choose what can of extract you want which I thought wasn't a bad idea, probably restricted to the basic cans.

• Like 2

On 2/12/2022 at 5:59 AM, Itinerant Peasant said:

Don't you guys think Coopers would be better off marketing their DIY Kit with a Pale Ale - rather than the dodgy half-baked Lager with an Ale Yeast?

I think the customer/beginner would be better serviced if in the starter kit a Coopers Pal Ale tin was included instead of the Lager.

People I have spoken to often that say that the Lager set up in the beginners kit is a real disappointment and not very good.

As we know you can't expect a Lager outcome when you are brewing a Lager via the Ale method.

I am brewing Lagers at the moment and with add on's, temperature control and patience they turn out good for me.

Coopers would have their reasons for including Lager can with a Ale recipe in the starter kit.

• Like 2

I have no clue why Coopers really sell the Lager tin with their Starter Kit. Call me cynical but I'd still lay money on it being based on a commercial decision. Businesses no matter how customer friendly they are will have a bottom line at the end of the day, just my opinion. Maybe I'm being way too cynical though, it may also just be based on the popularity of the Start up kit and what it contains.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Mickep said:

I have no clue why Coopers really sell the Lager tin with their Starter Kit. Call me cynical but I'd still lay money on it being based on a commercial decision. Businesses no matter how customer friendly they are will have a bottom line at the end of the day, just my opinion. Maybe I'm being way too cynical though, it may also just be based on the popularity of the Start up kit and what it contains.

I suppose we could just ask Frank/Coopers for an answer.😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Mickep said:

My bet is because most Ozzie beers are more or less a form of lager. So,  most should like it.  And not too "different ".

• Like 2

On 2/11/2022 at 9:28 AM, Itinerant Peasant said:

Wow funny you know doing the AG thing I think it's a little harder to get that crystal clear beer - and I don't mind my beers if not perfectly clear - but it is nice to nail clear beer from time to time... but boy @Classic Brewing Co Phil that Bootmaker Ale is sooooo clear... beautiful...  plenty of bubble and a nice frothy top good stuff mate!

Left this AG BIAB Tim Taylors clone in a keg for a while ( towards the end of last year, can’t remember when, maybe October) and it’s finally clear

Hops are way gone but it’s drinkable. Will have to be, I need the keg soon…

250A45B4-A602-47BA-8E7F-1022678CA67F.thumb.jpeg.b19a6f0eead511ccec6b410b61a9c2c6.jpeg

71677FDC-3230-42F5-9B16-092F46346C22.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Probably the last bottle of this batch. A perfectly poured “Nog Dark Ale”. With an Abv of 4.7% it’s like a meal in a glass. This is the second batch already. The first batch I nearly poured down the sink. The first bottles were flat and tasted like lollipop water. After some extra weeks of priming it turned into a delicious brew I had to do again.
The second batch was simply marvelicious.FADD5B27-E9C8-459D-A3DE-3C514B7D8599.thumb.jpeg.42477596421ca757977eb52cb7bc83de.jpeg

• Like 6

After bottling my latest batch of Coco Hefe, sitting down to relax with a beer, I opened this unlabelled bottle and to my surprise it was the most delicious 
“Old Conkerwood Black Ale”
Abv 6.1% ,smooth and creamy .

I love the Munton’s range. I have to get more for winter. This one was the second batch I made.D986E878-F078-42A7-AA66-25D73EAE9E35.thumb.jpeg.d7d6b395c4a7c2c47a9fe946a8cddd30.jpeg

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

This is more than justTabasco. This is the Scorpion Tabasco, so it pretty potent 🙂 I've eaten a Scorpion (the chilli, not the arachnid) once and don't really need to do it again 🙂 

Haha Luvyerwork @Aussiekraut AK yer a better man than I am to carry out such a formidable task 🥳

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Haha Luvyerwork @Aussiekraut AK yer a better man than I am to carry out such a formidable task 🥳

I don't have any scorpions this year but I should have some Carolina Reapers in a few weeks if you are keen 🙂 If they don't get stolen that is. I had this beautiful bush of purple cayennes and when I had a look the other day, they're all gone. Not half eaten or anything but plucked! Either somebody helped themselves to my chillies or some rather tough mammal ate them, stems and all. I also had a few bullhorns growing, they're also gone. The reapers were too small and the piri piris and Thai birdseyes also seem to have been less desirable. I am rather unhappy about it all. I needed the cayennes to make chilli sauce.

• Sad 3