Coopers Community

What Are You Drinking in 2022?

Pezzza

1 minute ago, Aussiekraut said:

I don't have any scorpions this year but I should have some Carolina Reapers in a few weeks if you are keen 🙂 If they don't get stolen that is. I had this beautiful bush of purple cayennes and when I had a look the other day, they're all gone. Not half eaten or anything but plucked! Either somebody helped themselves to my chillies or some rather tough mammal ate them, stems and all. I also had a few bullhorns growing, they're also gone. The reapers were too small and the piri piris and Thai birdseyes also seem to have been less desirable. I am rather unhappy about it all. I needed the cayennes to make chilli sauce.

I have got Carolina Reapers, Trinidad Scorpion, Cayenne, Birdseye & one called Oz Brain Killer 1, heat rating 14/10.

All I know so far the odd taste with the tiniest bit are HOT as you would expect. 🌶️

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Brushtail Possum maybe?

Now a Hot-Tail Possum... 😋

When I moved here I brought one of the Pot's of Chillis I had that were being eaten to death, I mean everything, fruit. buds, leaves & I suspect it was a sleepy lizard or possum, possibly some birds but now the last one standing is flourishing, full of Chillis & new growth, it must be the sea air.

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Brushtail Possum maybe?

Afterburner possum 🙂 

We had possums steal all of our corn last time but they were chewing on the cobs, only leaving the empty cobs behind and even went as far as chewing through the stems to get to the cobs but in case of the chillies, they are completely gone, no half eaten pods left, nothing and that makes me wonder. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Aussiekraut said:

that makes me wonder. 

If not the resident Insecta or Mammalians... dunno for the life o me who would ever want to steal such a thing 🥵 AK @Aussiekraut

....MMMmmm unless of course it was @Classic Brewing Co's Head Brewer and Chef who seems to be interested in such flaming hot hot burner Chillies? 😋

Now... @Classic Brewing Co Phil - have you by any chance had a sneak trip up to Queensland in the last wee while mate for a bit of quiet harvesting? 😆

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

If not the resident Insecta or Mammalians... dunno for the life o me who would ever want to steal such a thing 🥵 AK @Aussiekraut

....MMMmmm unless of course it was @Classic Brewing Co's Head Brewer and Chef who seems to be interested in such flaming hot hot burner Chillies? 😋

Now... @Classic Brewing Co Phil - have you by any chance had a sneak trip up to Queensland in the last wee while mate for a bit of quiet harvesting? 😆

The thing is that all mammals are susceptible to capsaicin, so whatever it was, it would have one burning bum. Birds are safe, so are insects. Mother nature is a smart cookie. Because the digestive system of mammals is destructive to the seeds, she invented capsaicin to keep mammals at bay. Bird's digestive systems do not destroy seeds, so they can eat the fruit, fly around and drop the seeds, propagating the plant.

• Like 2

For those unbelievers that Lager is now called 'Larger' (by murderers of the Queen's English)...

(And those of us who find the term a festive 'nom de plume' for such a brewski 😋)

See Gladfield's Website 

https://www.gladfieldmalt.co.nz/lager-light/

(sic - quoted exactly as per the website as at 16 Feb 2022 at 1428 hours AEDT)

Lager Light

December 1, 2016

Lager light is exactly what the name suggests, it is made for light coloured lager beers. You really appreciate this malt on a hot summers day after working hard doing what ever it is you do. When you knock the top off a cold one made from Gladfield Lager light and pour it into a glass, you see the beautiful light straw colour beer with creamy head, down the hatch it goes the first one doesn’t even touch the sides. Wow it looks so drinkable in the glass that the second one is down as quick as the first. Lets face it, this time of year is about quenching your thirst with quality beer that looks as refreshing as it tastes.

We designed this malt for our own pilot brewery so we could have plenty of cold fresh beer on tap at harvest time and we didn’t want it to look like or feel like the consistency of an oil change from an Angular gear box.

It worked so well at washing the barley awns from the back of the throat that the header drivers and truck drivers were queuing up from miles away to work at Gladfield.

We called the malt Lager Light “the natural agent that stimulates sight and makes things visible”. It wasn’t the only thing it stimulated. Brewers have quickly recognized our Larger Light malt as a must for this time of year and has certainly become very visible around all the leading breweries of Australia and New Zealand.

The malt is made from 2 row high quality malting barley with a mid to high protein range but is well modified giving good fermentability for a refreshing dry finish with a hint of malt character. It has a typical colour range of 2.3 – 2.9 EBC.

It is subject to a gentler kilning cycle so that a lower colour is produced however it is still low in DMS precursors unlike some European malts which are designed specifically for DMS beers.

Larger light is so versatile you can use it up to 100% or else you can add it too any beer at any rate you want to reduce colour. A lot of people use it along side Gladfield Wheat malt to produce a delicate bright clean malt profile wheat beer, when a low colour formation is required. You can also use it with up to 20% Gladfield Toffee malt to make a perfect light coloured IPA.

So if you haven’t tried Gladfield Lager light malt, then where the bloody hell are ya?!… so we can get some to you! Enjoy the summer and drink yourself more bliss, because we are at Gladfield!

Screenshot of the website (to prove I hadn't dodgied-up the text 👍)

image.png.c83edd2f7df3e9801584ee5d6ec187ad.png

Edited by Itinerant Peasant
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

40 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Nah not recently, bit far to go just to nick some chillis 😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Brushtail Possum maybe?

Yeah we have problems here with possums eating our chilli plants, I haven't ever seen them eat the actual chillis but they will decimate the plants when they are young eating all the leaves and just leaving the stems. They also eat our flowers, but are very selective in which blooms that they will devour and that selectivity seems to be determined by the colour of the flower!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

Yeah we have problems here with possums eating our chilli plants, I haven't ever seen them eat the actual chillis but they will decimate the plants when they are young eating all the leaves and just leaving the stems. They also eat our flowers, but are very selective in which blooms that they will devour and that selectivity seems to be determined by the colour of the flower!

I am going to build a structure with shade cloth to protect the next batch, I guess it will also work like a hot house of sorts, it is annoying when you see lot's of buds forming & fruit developing only to be eaten by some critter.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

For those unbelievers that Lager is now called 'Larger' (by murderers of the Queen's English)...

(And those of us who find the term a festive 'nom de plume' for such a brewski 😋)

See Gladfield's Website 

https://www.gladfieldmalt.co.nz/lager-light/

(sic - quoted exactly as per the website as at 16 Feb 2022 at 1428 hours AEDT)

Interesting article IP.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

A nice Tasmanian 'Larger' beautiful fresh taste,

In the Gigaswill Commercial Beer World out there, there are many many far worse than Jimmy Boags!

Used to spend a lot of money on Alc Excise and GST buying Mr B 😬

... that was until I saw the light again and returned to the HB Fold 😀

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

In the Gigaswill Commercial Beer World out there, there are many many far worse than Jimmy Boags!

Used to spend a lot of money on Alc Excise and GST buying Mr B 😬

... that was until I saw the light again and returned to the HB Fold 😀

Yep I know what you mean I only bought it because they had it on special, just trying to give myself a bit of variety with the commercial brews until my first batch of Home Brew is ready to drink, 2-3 days I will be trying a couple.

Because of the house move my brewing activities were ceased in Dec-Jan, I am just starting to build up stocks again.

• Like 2

OK, this morning I put a PET bottle of my MJ American Pale Ale in the fridge just for a sneak test/taste only bottled on the 5th Feb,

but wow, I can't believe it, look at the head, it still needs to mature but I am a happy camper, it is nice, slightly sweet but it will develop as they are mostly in Coops Longnecks.

I also sneakily put a few Grolsch bottles in the fridge so I may even crack another. Cheers.

212136570_AMERICANLALEALEMJ1702202212DAYSOLD.thumb.jpg.ff4c8f67a51766bad379a13244e4dd98.jpgAPA.thumb.jpg.75b5e97d761dd3b470cf49b82a78a582.jpg

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

OK, this morning I put a PET bottle of my MJ American Pale Ale in the fridge just for a sneak test/taste only bottled on the 5th Feb,

but wow, I can't believe it, look at the head, it still needs to mature but I am a happy camper, it is nice, slightly sweet but it will develop as they are mostly in Coops Longnecks.

I also sneakily put a few Grolsch bottles in the fridge so I may even crack another. Cheers.

212136570_AMERICANLALEALEMJ1702202212DAYSOLD.thumb.jpg.ff4c8f67a51766bad379a13244e4dd98.jpgAPA.thumb.jpg.75b5e97d761dd3b470cf49b82a78a582.jpg

I am happy to report that the Grolsch bottles 450ml have also successfully carbonated, there is no reason why the 750ml Longnecks won't be OK on the weekend, I used 1kg of Light Dried Band Malt, Nottingham 11gm yeast & an infusion of Galaxy hops.

ama.thumb.jpg.af62c2412a7292866e69242f40a5ab94.jpg

• Like 3