Coopers Community

What Are You Drinking in 2022?

Pezzza

First taste of an English Bitter

Not sure it's for me but might make a nice winter drink.

Brewed for a mate who don't talk to me any more...(he worked out I'm not that nice)

I'm sure I'll find someone to share it with.

20220130_160937.thumb.jpg.8d71909bae73c3ff1c7dcbd8f707877c.jpg20220130_160954.thumb.jpg.3cc2130e75df7fc87f59effcb269f9b0.jpg

• Like 9

@DavidM nice looking beer there I also have had doubts on my last 2 batches of EB last winter. Used to love it years ago but not sure if because of all the hoppy pale ales I made. Just haven't been able to get into it even after adding EKG hop flavour. Maby I need to get back to basics for it did you add any hops?

BTW I'm good at p ing off people too but a real mate will always forgive eventually.

Edited by jamiek86
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

@DavidM nice looking beer there I also have had doubts on my last 2 batches of EB last winter. Used to love it years ago but not sure if because of all the hoppy pale ales I made. Just haven't been able to get into it even after adding EKG hop flavour. Maby I need to get back to basics for it did you add any hops?

BTW I'm good at p ing off people too but a real mate will always forgive eventually.

added Kent Golding for the Hops, will have a few a week and see how I go with it, still thinking I will revisit another EB in winter.

As for the Mate.. he was more of an acquaintance, I helped him with all his IT problems (lot's).

He can pay someone now!

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 5

On 1/30/2022 at 4:40 PM, PintsAtMeLocal said:

Go for it mate, can only give it a go amd see if you like it, which I'm sure u will. Will u do AG or K and K?

PAML, it will be AG if I can get a good recommendation on a recipe from any stout drinkers that do AG.  I probably have enough of the right grains to do one batch.  If not then a K & K one for first try.

• Like 3

Another Belgian Dubbel. This one I added some dark candi sugar syrup (the 180 colour one), so it’s, well, dark…

A beaut though. Got two slabs left too 👍

You’re all more than welcome to share but you’ve gotta get here on your own steam 🤣

Bloody grotty glass though, should have polished it rather than just rinsing after a night in the bunker 😵

6FFEC370-2148-494E-957B-E9083482C149.jpeg

C1F2D8B5-766E-4DBE-8082-963FA0F60A0E.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Ok, first sample of the Mixed Berry Sour. It’s still a little malty and needs a tad more carbonation but isn’t bad for a first attempt. Head retention is a little poor but that seems to be a trait of sours. There is a nice fruity aroma and a distinct raspberry flavour. I guess that’s because the fruit had raspberry in it and I topped it up to a kilo with more raspberries. Now I am thinking about mango, cherry and maybe even coconut and pineapple 😀 Yes, a cleaner glass might have been nice too 😀

22C6D115-EC62-48A4-B146-2F819B2EB75F.thumb.jpeg.1514bc9c6a4df802c5347fe9e2644266.jpeg

Edited by Aussiekraut
  • Like 8
  • Haha 2

IMG_9111.thumb.jpg.9e0554407c8a391374c82f2e2754187f.jpg

kveik 1 (coopers draught / BE2 / maris otter / amber malt / cascade and galaxy hops), made sunday jan 23, kegged saturday jan 29 and sampled on tuesday the 1st of feb. probably needs another day on the gas but really happy with the taste.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Aussiekraut said:

Ok, first sample of the Mixed Berry Sour. It’s still a little malty and needs a tad more carbonation but isn’t bad for a first attempt. Head retention is a little poor but that seems to be a trait of sours. There is a nice fruity aroma and a distinct raspberry flavour. I guess that’s because the fruit had raspberry in it and I topped it up to a kilo with more raspberries. Now I am thinking about mango, cherry and maybe even coconut and pineapple 😀 Yes, a cleaner glass might have been nice too 😀

22C6D115-EC62-48A4-B146-2F819B2EB75F.thumb.jpeg.1514bc9c6a4df802c5347fe9e2644266.jpeg

So.. Do you think you can take a liking to the Sour's ??

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Aussiekraut said:

It looks nice, probably get better, I don't know a lot about sours but have tried a few of the, some not bad but I have to keep reminding myself I am supposed to be drinking beer, the sample I tried of @disgruntledwas very citrusy & aromatic so who knows, I could get to like the odd one.

• Like 3

Just cracked my second (small) keg of Duvel clone. Not fully carbed up so it is missing the CO2 being absorbed properly. Taste is otherwise spot on. The hop profile from the recipe is just right. The next one I will be trying the additional yeast and sugar for the bottle conditioning. 
I might try another 19l keg with the extra conditioning in it as I have ordered floating dip tube kits for my cornies so I won’t pull the gunk up.

I almost feel like brewing one of these after another but they are a bit strong 😳

577A7D75-E1CA-48D0-AF18-20A84B7D85E0.jpeg

A677F6FE-3F8D-40C8-9481-18D9D1657963.jpeg

• Like 10

Bottled my favorite saison over the weekend. 30 bottles of dry, horsey, highly carbonated Belgian goodness. This thing is great right off the bat but really hits its stride after 6 weeks in the bottle. Can’t wait. 
C9D166C1-328A-4896-8030-ACE14137CC45.thumb.jpeg.a1c0b3b0984273b2ca68cd320f8302a8.jpeg

things got a little weird after I bottled….I’ve had this piece of driftwood laying round the yard for sometime….somewhat inspired by the bloke who makes log beer I decided to soak my driftwood in the dregs and yeast of said saison. Going to knock up a small batch of something soon and use it as somewhat of a poor man’s yeast ring. There should be plenty of wild yeast on it and now some lab yeast. Will keep ya posted.

55BA00D8-61A8-4323-8515-ED5C7F18C137.thumb.jpeg.db1a48ee01e39b7c51b76602aab94436.jpeg

Edited by MitchBastard
  • Like 6
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, MitchBastard said:

I’ve had this piece of driftwood laying round the yard for sometime….somewhat inspired by the bloke who makes log beer I decided to soak my driftwood in the dregs and yeast of said saison. Going to knock up a small batch of something soon and use it as somewhat of a poor man’s yeast ring. There should be plenty of wild yeast on it and now some lab yeast. Will keep ya posted.

Sounds like a 'knotty' idea Mitch 🤣 seriously I have never heard of that before, I would be interested to see the results.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Sounds like a 'knotty' idea Mitch 🤣 seriously I have never heard of that before, I would be interested to see the results.

Yeah I got no idea what’s gunna happen. Look into Scandinavian yeast rings. Basically a ring of wooden cubes that is dragged through Krausen in fermenting beer to collect yeast, hung up,  then used next time to ferment beer using the yeast preciously collected. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, MitchBastard said:

Yeah I got no idea what’s gunna happen. Look into Scandinavian yeast rings. Basically a ring of wooden cubes that is dragged through Krausen in fermenting beer to collect yeast, hung up,  then used next time to ferment beer using the yeast preciously collected. 

Fair enough, the things we do ! You may be onto something. Keep us posted, Cheers.

• Like 1