Coopers Community

What Are You Drinking in 2022?

Pezzza

IMG_9140.thumb.jpg.f50b56d01303610ea31987a8e8187cb7.jpg

kveik off!

on the left, coopers draught can, BE3 and a parrial of maris otter (800g) and amber malt (200g). cascade and galaxy during the 30 mins boil. 30g cascade dry hop. 5 day ferment to keg

on the right, coopers canadian / woolworths lager toucan with 350g (approx) ldm, 30g/1 litre cascade hop tea added to keg. 4 day ferment to keg.

kveik 1 on the left is by far the better beer, i'd easilly make this one again and if we get another temp spike in melbourne, i probably will

kveik 2 is an ok beer and i'm actually surprised it has a darker colour than the one i added amber malt to, but it's just ok. it doesn't have the presence of k1 and the lacing on the glasses afterwards illustrate this

IMG_9143.thumb.jpg.feb0ccf504810ba64c7429b1ae23ddef.jpg

• Like 4

Stocks are low and I had to move my kegs to the fermentation fridge while I defrost the Series X, it was pretty iced up and 12 months since I have defrosted and cleaned it!

A go to for me when HB stocks are low. Always a reliable brew!

1876e.jpg

• Like 7

A while back i made this American red ipa with some Belgian abbey yeast. Initially I was unsure if it. Even though I went light on the dry hoping the yank hops still over powered what I hoped to get out of the yeast…. Not a bad beer, just a bit ordinary. 

fast forward 2 months in the keg, the hop presence has pulled right back and is allowing the yeast to really carry this beer. Time has turned this beer into a ripper. A touch of malt sweetness propped up with a not too over powering Belgian ester profile, and an ever so light of American hop profile in there. Will I make this again?

dunno😂

A08E2917-0E54-4C77-ADCD-1A6ABC40F58E.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, MitchBastard said:

A while back i made this American red ipa with some Belgian abbey yeast. Initially I was unsure if it. Even though I went light on the dry hoping the yank hops still over powered what I hoped to get out of the yeast…. Not a bad beer, just a bit ordinary. 

fast forward 2 months in the keg, the hop presence has pulled right back and is allowing the yeast to really carry this beer. Time has turned this beer into a ripper. A touch of malt sweetness propped up with a not too over powering Belgian ester profile, and an ever so light of American hop profile in there. Will I make this again?

dunno😂

Looks pretty good to me Mitch, nice colour, solid head. 😋

• Thanks 1

On 2/8/2022 at 9:48 PM, kmar92 said:

Stocks are low and I had to move my kegs to the fermentation fridge while I defrost the Series X, it was pretty iced up and 12 months since I have defrosted and cleaned it!

A go to for me when HB stocks are low. Always a reliable brew!

1876e.jpg

It's also my go-to these days because not only is it a good beer but I can also salvage the yeast for my own brews. Value added beer. 🙂 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, MUZZY said:

It's also my go-to these days because not only is it a good beer but I can also salvage the yeast for my own brews. Value added beer. 🙂 

It is & has been one of the best beers around for many years, my new neighbor loves it to so that's good to.

Last time I had a stock of it I attempted to re harvest the yeast but it didn't work out or at least I didn't like the look of it so I chucked it. I am quite happy adding fresh dry yeast.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

It is & has been one of the best beers around for many years, my new neighbor loves it to so that's good to.

Last time I had a stock of it I attempted to re harvest the yeast but it didn't work out or at least I didn't like the look of it so I chucked it. I am quite happy adding fresh dry yeast.

Next time you've got some on hand give it another go, Phil. I've had at least one and maybe two attempts fail, they had an unpleasant smell so I ditched them but the ones that worked have been excellent additions to my brews and using reactivated yeast fits in with my tightwad ways too. 🙂 A good thing about a failed harvest is you usually know before it goes into the brew so not much goes to waste.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Next time you've got some on hand give it another go, Phil. I've had at least one and maybe two attempts fail, they had an unpleasant smell so I ditched them but the ones that worked have been excellent additions to my brews and using reactivated yeast fits in with my tightwad ways too. 🙂 A good thing about a failed harvest is you usually know before it goes into the brew so not much goes to waste.

Maybe, I think the smell was the main reason & it didn't look that nice. You are right about the last bit as it is not worth risking the whole brew if you are unsure. I probably will stick to dry yeast.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

one of the last Coopers Bootmaker Pale Ales

Wow funny you know doing the AG thing I think it's a little harder to get that crystal clear beer - and I don't mind my beers if not perfectly clear - but it is nice to nail clear beer from time to time... but boy @Classic Brewing Co Phil that Bootmaker Ale is sooooo clear... beautiful...  plenty of bubble and a nice frothy top good stuff mate!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Coopers English Bitter

DM @DavidM that Coopers EB has a lovely colour suspect is yumbo!

Have you tried the Coopers Real Ale at all?  I reckon Coopers Real Ale, a tin of Coopers Light Malt and a box of BE2 all in one brew - makes a barn-storming beer... but it depends on what style one is chasing hey and how much oooomph yer want in the glass too 👍

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Wow funny you know doing the AG thing I think it's a little harder to get that crystal clear beer - and I don't mind my beers if not perfectly clear - but it is nice to nail clear beer from time to time... but boy @Classic Brewing Co Phil that Bootmaker Ale is sooooo clear... beautiful...  plenty of bubble and a nice frothy top good stuff mate!

Thank you it does taste nice.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

DM @DavidM that Coopers EB has a lovely colour suspect is yumbo!

Have you tried the Coopers Real Ale at all?  I reckon Coopers Real Ale, a tin of Coopers Light Malt and a box of BE2 all in one brew - makes a barn-storming beer... but it depends on what style one is chasing hey and how much oooomph yer want in the glass too 👍

Yes, I've tried the Real Ale, one of my Fav's..

My main stable beer is the Pale Ale, fit in several others around the Pale.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Yes, I've tried the Real Ale, one of my Fav's..

My main stable beer is the Pale Ale, fit in several others around the Pale.

I have to agree, Pale is my favourite, I like Real Ale, IPA's & lot's of others but I seem to always favour the first two.

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 2

Here's a good question for you @Classic Brewing Co @DavidM and also for @Shamus O'Sean SOS who curates the Coopers Recipe Spready...

Don't you guys think Coopers would be better off marketing their DIY Kit with a Pale Ale - rather than the dodgy half-baked Lager with an Ale Yeast?

I am not being critical so much of the Lager as I made plenty years ago - but every Brewer that wants to improve has to then be taught about the difference between Ale and Lager Yeasts and process... and if you started with an Ale which are so much easier in general than Lagers.. you would hit the ground running?

I have thought this for some time and am interested to hear what you -- and anyone else out there on the Forum interested in such a topic - think about this?

But I guess more of the populus drinks Lagery things rather than Aley Brews... but maybe that is changing too?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Here's a good question for you @Classic Brewing Co @DavidM and also for @Shamus O'Sean SOS who curates the Coopers Recipe Spready...

Don't you guys think Coopers would be better off marketing their DIY Kit with a Pale Ale - rather than the dodgy half-baked Lager with an Ale Yeast?

I am not being critical so much of the Lager as I made plenty years ago - but every Brewer that wants to improve has to then be taught about the difference between Ale and Lager Yeasts and process... and if you started with an Ale which are so much easier in general than Lagers.. you would hit the ground running?

I have thought this for some time and am interested to hear what you -- and anyone else out there on the Forum interested in such a topic - think about this?

But I guess more of the populus drinks Lagery things rather than Aley Brews... but maybe that is changing too?

I totally agree, starting with an Ale would be more forgiving & more likely to succeed more so than a Lager but as you say it comes with an Ale yeast so it's not really a Lager.

I think price dertermines a lot of commercial packaging these days - they stick to the basics for the early entry product range.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Many breweries have their "signature" yeast and are guarding them with their life. In case of coopers, if you want to brew with the yeast, at least you have to buy a six pack of pale and harvest it yourself 🙂 There may also be copyright issues involved, who knows.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I am having one of the last Coopers Bootmaker Pale Ales, still quite 'heady', flavour seems to have mellowed & hop presence virtually non existent however still pleasant to drink, I will be making more of these but I will use LME this time instead of LMDE.

20220211_161826.thumb.jpg.35eece771f4a6d8ef3d8f3c53a118fde.jpg

Classic, do you mind sharing the recipe for this? Looks beeeeautiful mate! I've just done a Bootmaker and it's really quite bitter - only 3 weeks in the bottle though.