Coopers Community

What Are You Drinking in 2022?

Pezzza

2 hours ago, Tone boy said:

why is the head not white(ish) like some stouts I see??

For me that is just about the colour of the liquid in the beer.  Paler brews have white heads because the bubbles reflect/refract? white light.  If you make the liquid surrounding the bubbles blacker, the head goes a tan colour.  With a Russian Imperial it would be even darker.

• Like 5

On 2/21/2022 at 9:19 AM, Itinerant Peasant said:

@MitchBastard Mitchie your help and advice please - as a diastaticus strain - one you would not want to contaminate yer normal brews - do you have a separate fermenter to keep it away from more standard brews?

Hey mate, yeah I keep the saisons in their own fermenter. Just a cheap bunnings 30L thing. I still hit it with iphodor after every batch and only bottle them in the designated champers bottles 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Last creation on the pour. It’s basically a dry hopped Kolsch. Went light on the dry hopping, bout 6g a L. No late kettle additions. Just a yummy kolsch with some hoppage. Really happy with it. It’s got enough yeast character with some snappy dryness and dusting of galaxy. 

CF12A27E-49B0-4104-9E53-77C39F3A8C58.jpeg

• Like 9

13 hours ago, Tone boy said:

why is the head not white(ish) like some stouts I see??

10 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

For me that is just about the colour of the liquid in the beer. 

image.thumb.png.ff8b0f910d15f81d383cbd24038dc62d.png

Black IPA CO2 - Stout Nitro - Alt CO2 - Alt C02 - Commercial Dark Lager

Agree with Shamus @Shamus O'Sean @Tone boy on this Toner... and hence it may then have some relationship to ratio say of Roasted Barley to other Malts that might bring Amber and Brown colours... from memory Guinness is white-ish on top... and that may be due to Pale Malts plus Roasted Barley and maybe I have added some beefy malts like Maris Otter or something to my Stout (second from left) which drives a bit more Amber or Brown colour (?)... @MitchBastard Mitchie might be able to help us with a colour palette analysis with his advanced brewing knowledge and relevant expertise?

The middle photo above of one IP Brewing Alt is more white... the far right a commercial Brew Dog Dark Lager and a bit thin on body and more white top... 

Then there are the influences of the head thickness, photo background and light current when the photo was taken...

The below creamy top Ale is more yellow but in the setting sun quite amber gold-ish in the photo ; )

image.thumb.png.7b4fa6251ca03666c616426c23a5d7e6.png

• Like 11

@Itinerant Peasant I’ve rarely come across a stout that has a white ish head. Guiness would be the closest and I’d say that’s got to do with the nitro maybe? 
other Guinness beers from a bottle don’t have a white head. Assuming also that the bog standard Guinness we know has less roasty boys in it being marketed to a broader market. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

@Itinerant Peasant I’ve rarely come across a stout that has a white ish head. Guiness would be the closest and I’d say that’s got to do with the nitro maybe? 
other Guinness beers from a bottle don’t have a white head. Assuming also that the bog standard Guinness we know has less roasty boys in it being marketed to a broader market. 

I always thought it was the unmalted barley component in the grain bill that gave the whiteish head. Haven't tried to clone one myself so can't speak from experience. I prefer a porter myself.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

image.thumb.png.ff8b0f910d15f81d383cbd24038dc62d.png

Black IPA CO2 - Stout Nitro - Alt CO2 - Alt C02 - Commercial Dark Lager

Agree with Shamus @Shamus O'Sean @Tone boy on this Toner... and hence it may then have some relationship to ratio say of Roasted Barley to other Malts that might bring Amber and Brown colours... from memory Guinness is white-ish on top... and that may be due to Pale Malts plus Roasted Barley and maybe I have added some beefy malts like Maris Otter or something to my Stout (second from left) which drives a bit more Amber or Brown colour (?)... @MitchBastard Mitchie might be able to help us with a colour palette analysis with his advanced brewing knowledge and relevant expertise?

The middle photo above of one IP Brewing Alt is more white... the far right a commercial Brew Dog Dark Lager and a bit thin on body and more white top... 

Then there are the influences of the head thickness, photo background and light current when the photo was taken...

The below creamy top Ale is more yellow but in the setting sun quite amber gold-ish in the photo ; )

image.thumb.png.7b4fa6251ca03666c616426c23a5d7e6.png

Mate the head on that beauty😍

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Mickep said:

the fence post is back, and may I say in a fantastic way.

Haha cheers @Mickep ... yeah "library photo" haha - from way back in the drought (see the dry grass) 🙂

The only drought being experienced nowadays is me having some time off the glorious ales 😬

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Bohemian pilsner. What else is there to do in this weather than drink some brews, brew some more, and later smoke some bacon... 

20220226_100826.thumb.jpg.f23fb1bae211d5d3a4190a8e3279bd22.jpg

City version of the gate post/rail nice. Paddocks look green though!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

City version of the gate post/rail nice. Paddocks look green though!

They should be with the amount of rain we've had 😂 the majority of the footpath is dead because it was pretty much all paspalum and I sprayed it with DSMA. Plan is to kill it off and let the blue couch come back and take over, cheaper than buying turf even if it will take longer. I hate paspalum 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is a pale ale hopped with Citra and Amarillo. Could probably use a bit more bitterness. I have a stainless hop spider I use but I have to get to craftbrewer and get one of the socks I usually use, I feel like I get better utilisation with those. Either way it's not bad, better than spending $70 on a carton

20220226_111801.thumb.jpg.ba11054a87ec75c2e2a432fac67a7f0d.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Why are the last few bottles of a brew the best, this APA has developed more complex flavours, the bitterness/hops are really coming through, I only have 3 x Longnecks left but it is going to be hard to store them. 🥴

Apologies for bad photo, the swivel chair moved as I clicked 😬

20220226_172742.thumb.jpg.aad1da30f7139f166eb7a6048e47dd2e.jpg

At least the plants are in focus🤣

• Haha 2