Coopers Community

What Are You Drinking in 2022?

Pezzza

42 minutes ago, Pezzza said:

A truly beautiful Brew @kmar92 Kmar and there is a lot to be said for the lovely Maris Otter!!! 👍

I have to agree re the MO malt.  Always performs well in my AG brewery and very happy with the outcomes.  The Coopers Premium Pale would have to be just a tad better IMO as I am also very satisfied with the outcomes from that malt so far.  These are my two go to malts from now on.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Pezzza said:

Cheers @Otto Von Blotto Kelsey

Yes I think that your methodology of managing yeast is best practice... my FV and yeast-cake re-use is pretty much driven by practicality and simplicity, and then honestly, fortunately, so far, pretty good outcomes seem to have resulted pretty much... 

But I mostly use US05 and W34/70 and am not really chasing 'full flavour from the yeast'... pretty happy with rainwater, freshly milled malts and the hops steering the outcome.

Hefeweizens seem to go alright with the methodology too it seems... 

But managing yeast like you do is better practice no doubt 👍

Yes I'm much the same in preferring the flavours to come mainly from the hops and malt, just pointing out that if a yeast driven flavour is the aim then pitching onto a whole yeast cake might not give the best results. As I understand it a lot of the flavour the yeast throw is produced during that multiplication phase, which probably explains why under pitching can lead to bad flavours as well. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Now the Duvel. Obviously overly-burped the keg as it should have a head between this and an ice-cream 😳

Whilst waiting to fit the drip trays I should properly get one of those long, rectangular flower pots ( that people put on balconies here in Europe) for the slops

868A1DFF-3C7F-481C-97F0-C526EBD8FCB2.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

Japanese Rice Lager (follow the links to the recipe)

This is a bottled version.  Only been in the bottle for 15 days.  

Aromas of herbal, tea and lemony citrus.

Mild lemony hop flavour (not a hint of rice).

Very light bitterness.

Really smashable.

I am going to make another version the slightly easier way using flaked rice.  It can be added directly to the mash instead of needing a cereal mash first.  It will be interesting to compare the results.

IMG_3377.JPG.07d7d583080b66675cfa3be826f611f2.JPG

• Like 13

Continuing on the Nitro Theme... this is the paler one of the two Nitros... tried a Shammy on there but was not adept... and maybe besides as it is pale a bit more like a Boddy's Bitter it shouldna have a Shamrock anyway hey 😉

Apologies... back at the dam ; )

image.thumb.png.e5e719b094b43b059b179a764670c65d.png

• Like 10
  • Haha 3

Thinking of grabbing a bottle of cider for lunchtime refreshments I found the colour quiet dark, ha ha. Even labelling the bottles I still mix them up, damn, nobody told me that I actually have to read them. Nice mix up so, as the Mr. Sinister Ale’s are getting better and better with age. Probably have my nap early today 

F718EF95-76CE-4EC4-9FD5-8B900AD9FE26.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

Had some doubts about this one... efficiency was way down for some reason.  But I reckoned I'd still end up with beer either way, even if it wasn't quite the beer intended.  And I was right! 🥳

An over-carb'ed English Bitter using a generous dose of what is pretty much a legacy NZ hop, Dr Rudi:

Rudi-BitterNov2022.jpg

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 13

35 minutes ago, Pezzza said:

Looks yummmmmo @Otto Von Blotto Kelsey!

Perfect carbing from my perspective haha! 😆

Hahaha I did the old pour the head out the top of the glass thing just to drink it. I'd waited for it to settle initially but the second part of the pour just added some back so I thought stuff it, it's only one glass 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Pale ale with Citra and Amarillo. I forgot to turn the gas off before I went to golf but it's not terribly overcarbed, if at all really. It's off for the moment, and I might give it a day or two before it goes on serving pressure. Anyway, it tastes pretty nice, so that's the main thing. 

Good to see a photo at last Otto, been a while, a fine-looking Ale. Watching the golf, no doubt.

• Like 3

Just now, Classic Brewing Co said:

Good to see a photo at last Otto, been a while, a fine-looking Ale. Watching the golf, no doubt.

Cheers mate. Yep, watching on delay being I was playing at the same time. Handy being able to fast forward through the suspensions in play due to storms though 😂 they missed my course thankfully. I thought about going to see it live but didn't in the end. Might do the course volunteer thing for it next year though. 

• Like 2