Coopers Community

What Are You Drinking in 2022?

Pezzza

This is the Coopers Real Ale I was concerned about due to the excessive cloudiness & colour brewed & kegged the same time as the above photo - Coopers Draught. This is the one I used the yeast from a previous brew.

Although there are no off smells/tastes/flavours, I am still wondering why it is so cloudy, it tastes fine, almost like a Coopers XPA.

I have been leaving it alone hoping it will clear up in the keg, but it really is not that bad. Maybe time will fix it.

I might throw this at @Shamus O'Sean for an answer, how much is too much recycled yeast to add to a 23litre brew?

TIA

20221128_164802.thumb.jpg.8833132de21673c0493bceef377c6bf9.jpg

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

This is the Coopers Real Ale I was concerned about due to the excessive cloudiness & colour brewed & kegged the same time as the above photo - Coopers Draught. This is the one I used the yeast from a previous brew.

Although there are no off smells/tastes/flavours, I am still wondering why it is so cloudy, it tastes fine, almost like a Coopers XPA.

I have been leaving it alone hoping it will clear up in the keg, but it really is not that bad. Maybe time will fix it.

I might throw this at @Shamus O'Sean for an answer, how much is too much recycled yeast to add to a 23litre brew?

TIA

Both good looking Brews Phil, if it taste's good that's all ya need!

• Like 4

Just now, DavidM said:

Both good looking Brews Phil, if it taste's good that's all ya need!

Cheers David, the Draught is great, but I am coming around to the Reale Ale, but something is telling me the ABV is way higher 🤪

I am thinking as I used too much re-used yeast it has picked up something to make me see double 🙃

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Coopers Pale Ale

With Golden Oats, Carapils and Mosaic hops.

This one is different, first time tasting Mosaic hops.

I like it!

Will be using this hop again.

New Phone as well, so once I work out how, Pic's might improve....

IMG_20221128_163426.thumb.jpg.e79dc52496da80fb389307b2b203201a.jpg

• Like 12
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Hi Phil,

I do not know the answer to the question.  A bit of googling did not make it any clearer.  Lots of talk about what over-pitching can lead to (bland or clean flavours).  But nothing conclusive about how much is an over-pitch.  The is a Brülosophy experiment where their participants could not reliably pick the difference between a brew done with 1 packet of yeast to one done with 5 packets of yeast.

The popular belief is that you need about 200 billion cells of yeast for a typical 23 litre brew.  Therefore, assuming the slurry is reasonably fresh and therefore contains about 1 billion healthy yeast cells per ml, you need 200ml of slurry.  I guess anything much more is an over-pitch.

I pitched about 400ml of slurry into the Coopers Pale Ale clone I brewed on the weekend.  I am now worried that was too much.  I pitched the yeast at about 3pm on Saturday.  By 6am Monday, well less than 2 days later, the iSpindel (electronic hydrometer that floats in the fermenting wort) readings indicate that SG had stabilised.  The beer should still taste fine, but it may have some blandness.  Mind you, the quick taste-test I did on the manual SG sample I took tonight (Monday 7pm) tasted lovely.  I noticed the sample I took was as cloudy as your brew.  However, mine is probably still cleaning up after itself.  It will be interesting to see how it goes after a bit longer in the fermenter, a cold crash and some finings to help clear it up.

Maybe you sucked a bit of yeast into the keg and it is still sucking into the beer line.  Hopefully after a few more glasses, it will settle down.  As long as it tastes nice, there is no big deal.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

TIA

Add some gelatine into the keg Phil, 1/2tsp warmed up with 200ml of water, will sort it out pretty quick.

• Like 4

Hefe Weizen. It's so f..g delicious tasty. I can Imagine walking down streets of Germany and Bavaria tasting this. With some good food. My dog Milly has to be in the shot she sticks with me all day every day.

If anyone is thinking of getting into all grain brewing I recommend a wheat beer. Very tasty you can't go wrong.

20221128_232443.jpg

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, DavidM said:

Coopers Pale Ale

With Golden Oats, Carapils and Mosaic hops.

This one is different, first time tasting Mosaic hops.

I like it!

Will be using this hop again.

New Phone as well, so once I work out how, Pic's might improve....

IMG_20221128_163426.thumb.jpg.e79dc52496da80fb389307b2b203201a.jpg

Beautiful beer. Nice work my man.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi Phil,

I do not know the answer to the question.  A bit of googling did not make it any clearer.  Lots of talk about what over-pitching can lead to (bland or clean flavours).  But nothing conclusive about how much is an over-pitch.  The is a Brülosophy experiment where their participants could not reliably pick the difference between a brew done with 1 packet of yeast to one done with 5 packets of yeast.

The popular belief is that you need about 200 billion cells of yeast for a typical 23 litre brew.  Therefore, assuming the slurry is reasonably fresh and therefore contains about 1 billion healthy yeast cells per ml, you need 200ml of slurry.  I guess anything much more is an over-pitch.

I pitched about 400ml of slurry into the Coopers Pale Ale clone I brewed on the weekend.  I am now worried that was too much.  I pitched the yeast at about 3pm on Saturday.  By 6am Monday, well less than 2 days later, the iSpindel (electronic hydrometer that floats in the fermenting wort) readings indicate that SG had stabilised.  The beer should still taste fine, but it may have some blandness.  Mind you, the quick taste-test I did on the manual SG sample I took tonight (Monday 7pm) tasted lovely.  I noticed the sample I took was as cloudy as your brew.  However, mine is probably still cleaning up after itself.  It will be interesting to see how it goes after a bit longer in the fermenter, a cold crash and some finings to help clear it up.

Maybe you sucked a bit of yeast into the keg and it is still sucking into the beer line.  Hopefully after a few more glasses, it will settle down.  As long as it tastes nice, there is no big deal.

Nice post Shamus

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My Duvel suddenly cleared out into an attractive-looking brew. Taste-wise it seems pretty damned spot on. The only disappointment is that it hasn’t seemed to have absorbed enough gas even though I bumped it up to 15 PSI. I’m sure that’ll be fixed soon. I’ ve put it up to 18 in the meantime.
Having said that, one thing I’ve learnt from kegging so far is that as soon as you’re really happy with the contents of a keg the b*stard blows 😳

4492DB9C-6AA1-44F6-BE1F-47F46B0A1F4F.jpeg

Edited by stquinto
Typo
  • Like 4
  • Haha 5

11 hours ago, Pezzza said:

Far ken mowing...

Had all good intentions of having another night off the Gs but the mowing killed me... 

Any excuse is better than none 😆

Last of the lovely Rye ; )

Pretty good season for grass 

image.thumb.png.e0f008133d19c5af86169c2c760bc4a3.png

Now that’s what I call a lawnmower beer 🤪

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi Phil,

Thanks, Shamus, for your response & of course valuable input, I am pretty sure now that I definitely overpitched.  I should have split the slurry between the 2 brews as they were virtually done in the same hour. The Draught is perfect but that is the supplied yeast.

They have both been in the keg now for 7 days, today is day 8 & I did comment that it is drinkable albeit cloudy & not too appealing to look at, but it seems to get better each day.

I can't find the photo of the beaker with the slurry I used but I am pretty sure it was at least 400ml.

I will be patient & test a small glass every few days as I am sure it will clear up.

Cheers

Phil

• Like 4