Coopers Community

What Are You Drinking in 2022?

Pezzza

Just now, beach_life said:

Horrid name for it.

Pitching onto a cake is a very good thing to do within a limited scope. Reusing yeast is also very valid. @Otto Von Blotto has a great starter method which work well.

Coopers yeast is re used, if not we would not have Coopers.

Nothing against your thoughts @Classic Brewing Co and I can understand it for sure.

Interest rates are biting and yeast has gone up a fair bit too

I understand, but you need to get it right, I am not worried if I have to even have to pay $10 for a decent yeast, I just don't like taking chances with a batch of beer.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, beach_life said:

Pitching onto a cake is a very good thing to do within a limited scope

Yeast Cake Pitching: I am a convert.

Have had great results and defraying yeast costs across three brews is good and it is nice to see the yeast cake kick off happily.

If the Brauhaus sterile-and-care-brewing practices are fine and your initial brew is not contam - you will know - and you use good method to add new Wort - then adding a new batch to a Yeast Cake is adding fresh ingredients for an already very happy and large yeast population.  Bring it on. 🙂

I mean what is the difference to adding a fresh wort and then far king around sprinkling or raising a new pop?

The biggest possibility for infection is at the start of the Brew - when there is this massive new source of nutrient - and sleepy yeast in the dry or wet pack... so bang - add a huge new festive population ready to go!

From memory @Greenyinthewestofsydney Greeny our Yeastmaster suggested that maybe 7 might be a good time to stop... but I have pretty much just done three from a batch of dry yeast... and that has been good. 

To be recommended.  But I understand Brewers who are happy with the effort for prepping a Wort, that maybe grabbing a fresh batch of yeast is preferable.

Many ways to the top of the GBM (Great Brew Mountain) 

🙂

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Coopers Pale Ale

I can't decide which is better, this batch or last!

Both similar, this Flameout hops with PoR, The last Dry hoped with PoR.

Will have a few more before I make up my mind.

(Took so long to get organised to take the photo, the head died a bit but still lingered)

20221123_155542.thumb.jpg.6280188fb223ae08f60d2548b34598d3.jpg

Lovely looking beer, lovely back drop. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Testing day for the 2 beers I kegged on Monday at midday, 30psi for 48 hours now down to 12psi, 

On the left a Coopers Draught, very drinkable, I could keep pouring this, it is nice.

On the right is a Coopers Real Ale made with the yeast from a former batch - I am thinking I used far too much as it is very hazy but drinkable. 

Do any of you Yeast pundits have any views on the amount to actually use in a 23l batch, I think I used at least 600ml mixed with the fresh wort.

I am thinking it will clear up in the keg after a couple of weeks.

20221123_171314.thumb.jpg.d84a5475e0081c631afa56d596fbcba6.jpg

Still very much a newbie, but I used the Coopers recultured yeast 7 times before chucking it. I found the sweet spot was a cup of slurry from the yeast cake, maybe 200-250ml, which produced a fast ferment done in 48 hours. I also dirty batched the last two with no problems, although the brew come out cloudy like yours and cleaned up in the bottle in 2 weeks. The beers all turned out quite clean with minimal kit twang, the Coopers APA being the best with absolutely no detectable kit twang. I couldn't stop drinking it, for research purposes of course. The only reason I chucked the yeast was because it was making those beers cloudy - lack of experience and understanding I guess, but still learning.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Cheap Charlie said:

Still very much a newbie, but I used the Coopers recultured yeast 7 times before chucking it. I found the sweet spot was a cup of slurry from the yeast cake, maybe 200-250ml, which produced a fast ferment done in 48 hours. I also dirty batched the last two with no problems, although the brew come out cloudy like yours and cleaned up in the bottle in 2 weeks. The beers all turned out quite clean with minimal kit twang, the Coopers APA being the best with absolutely no detectable kit twang. I couldn't stop drinking it, for research purposes of course. The only reason I chucked the yeast was because it was making those beers cloudy - lack of experience and understanding I guess, but still learning.

If you have the time Washing your yeast may be the way to go.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, beach_life said:

Horrid name for it.

Pitching onto a cake is a very good thing to do within a limited scope. Reusing yeast is also very valid. @Otto Von Blotto has a great starter method which work well.

Coopers yeast is re used, if not we would not have Coopers.

Nothing against your thoughts @Classic Brewing Co and I can understand it for sure.

Interest rates are biting and yeast has gone up a fair bit too

Coopers run a multi million dollar show. They have scientist in charge of yeast propagation. Look I'm not saying it cant be done safely on a home brew scale. But for the sake of ten dollars Im not risking anything with my 60 buck brew and hard work.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Pezzza said:

Yeast Cake Pitching: I am a convert.

Have had great results and defraying yeast costs across three brews is good and it is nice to see the yeast cake kick off happily.

If the Brauhaus sterile-and-care-brewing practices are fine and your initial brew is not contam - you will know - and you use good method to add new Wort - then adding a new batch to a Yeast Cake is adding fresh ingredients for an already very happy and large yeast population.  Bring it on. 🙂

I mean what is the difference to adding a fresh wort and then far king around sprinkling or raising a new pop?

The biggest possibility for infection is at the start of the Brew - when there is this massive new source of nutrient - and sleepy yeast in the dry or wet pack... so bang - add a huge new festive population ready to go!

From memory @Greenyinthewestofsydney Greeny our Yeastmaster suggested that maybe 7 might be a good time to stop... but I have pretty much just done three from a batch of dry yeast... and that has been good. 

To be recommended.  But I understand Brewers who are happy with the effort for prepping a Wort, that maybe grabbing a fresh batch of yeast is preferable.

Many ways to the top of the GBM (Great Brew Mountain) 

🙂

Well said but I will stick to fresh yeast, as @Pale Man says it ain't worth the risk.

But for the sake of ten dollars Im not risking anything with my 60 buck brew and hard work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'm not a big fan of pitching a fresh batch onto the old yeast cake, for one thing unless it's a lager it's a major overpitch and could result in not getting the full flavour from the yeast, if that's part of the profile of the beer. 

I am a fan of reusing yeast however. With the way I do it I'm more or less pitching fresh yeast each time anyway. With those liquid packs I can get up to 15 reuses out of them, potentially more. That's a lot of savings. 

I've had my 3 jars in the fridge since whenever the hell I last brewed a batch, so far I've tested two and they're still alive, one has done a batch I'll be kegging on Saturday, just gotta do the third one once the flask is ready and I have no reason to think it'll be any different. That alone has saved me probably $50 not having to replace those strains. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Pickles Jones said:

If you have the time Washing your yeast may be the way to go.

Yeah I cultured some more from the trub and washed it, it's in the current batch, so we will see how it goes. I will probably get into a system like @Otto Von Blotto uses, where harvesting the yeast for the next batch. I want to see how far I can take the yeast, and hopefully dispel (or confirm) the myth of yeast mutation. At the moment I have only used the coopers commercial, us-05 and the kit yeasts.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Cheap Charlie said:

Yeah I cultured some more from the trub and washed it, it's in the current batch, so we will see how it goes. I will probably get into a system like @Otto Von Blotto uses, where harvesting the yeast for the next batch. I want to see how far I can take the yeast, and hopefully dispel (or confirm) the myth of yeast mutation. At the moment I have only used the coopers commercial, us-05 and the kit yeasts.

It does mutate over time. I have the liquid version of 05, but I have used the method with the dry version before. It was on its 9th generation when it threw a bunch of weird off flavours in a batch so I binned it and got a new pack. For whatever reason I find the liquid strains seem to last through more reuses however I'm only basing that on that one experience. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Well done Stquinta looks nice, what have you set for serving temp 10-12psi or higher? 

I’ve had it on about 12 - 15 since Sunday. Still needs to absorb some CO2 I reckon but getting there. I should burp the kegs before serving though, that’s probably why there’s the ice-cream cone head. I’ve a bit of work to do to get the kegging sorted, but Rome wasn’t made in a day 😉

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

unless it's a lager it's a major overpitch and could result in not getting the full flavour from the yeast, if that's part of the profile of the beer. 

Cheers @Otto Von Blotto Kelsey

Yes I think that your methodology of managing yeast is best practice... my FV and yeast-cake re-use is pretty much driven by practicality and simplicity, and then honestly, fortunately, so far, pretty good outcomes seem to have resulted pretty much... 

But I mostly use US05 and W34/70 and am not really chasing 'full flavour from the yeast'... pretty happy with rainwater, freshly milled malts and the hops steering the outcome.

Hefeweizens seem to go alright with the methodology too it seems... 

But managing yeast like you do is better practice no doubt 👍

• Like 5

Day 4 in the keg for the Coopers Draught, plain & simple but very drinkable, this had the liquid from 50gms boiled Victoria's Secret fresh hops tipped in at day 8 with a 14-day ferment, there is a slight bitter finish, but I think it needs more hops or perhaps additional hop variety to spice it up a bit.

The Coopers Real Ale had the same treatment but it's a bit cloudy (I blame the re-used yeast) so I will leave it for a few more days.

In the meantime, Cheers.

20221124_145309.thumb.jpg.9a9f2c852f30ef1a0b3b65924e3d54cc.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, beach_life said:

Looks lovely

Thanks, it is, I had a few of them & thought I would tackle the Real Ale that I was worried about in the other keg I had 2 mouthfuls & had to chuck it. Not off, not infected but just a glass of murky, cloudy stuff that really doesn't take you there.

There is no doubt in my mind that it is because of the re-cycled yeast. From this day on I will NEVER do that again. I have made the Real Ale before & kegged it with the kit yeast & everyone loved it, it was great & cleared up nicely. This is awful, I will give it a week longer in the keg, but I think it is Cattle Trucked & could end up down the gurgler.

Fresh yeast for me for every brew from now on.

• Sad 4