Coopers Community

What Are You Drinking in 2022?

Pezzza

11 hours ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

Ok I had no idea what you were talking about so I googled it. You mean Dirndl? German for dress? Did I accidentally buy a female glass based on a dress? 

Now that you say that I wondered what those tie things were 🤣 well I like the glass anyway. Some have lids and some don't or was the 2 important bits something else?

Well, here's an example 😉

was the 2 important bits something else... ahem, well, could be...

On 2/16/2021 at 10:18 AM, stquinto said:

It's defo worth doing the Munich Oktoberfest if you can. There are a load of other ones in Germany that are really good (I've only done Munich), and Munich is pretty wild. The drindle dresses look pretty good on the fillies too 😉

20150919_195902.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

yeah sounds too sweet for my liking I can only handle sweet things in small doses not that often.

I don‘t think it’s sweet. Yes some of the craft beers are sickening sweet, but not the three above mentioned. You can get a nice chocolate flavour without much sweetness. Don’t think chocolate flavour equals milk chocolate. For me the problem is that sometimes bitter chocolate has a very sour aftertaste to it, like in the case of the Chocopotamus. The Morgan’s I made matured into a much more subtle, full bodied and creamy stout, for me in the top three of the about 70 k&k brews I made

• Like 3

Hey Brew Dudes,

I've tapped my Moteuka Hop Slam IPA. This is a Thomas Cooper Brew A IPA kit and it is better than the Fresh Wort Kits that I have been toying with recently.  First Time with Motueka too (its only taken 11 years), as I type I just got a nice citrus hit at the back of my pallet. Not sure what type of citrus but it is zesty and has a nice lingering bitter finish. Also I can;t detect any "Twang" which I attribute dto froce carbonation rather that bottle primed. I did bottle four and will be able to leave them for several months before drinking.

Cheers and Beers

Scottie

2023166572_MotuekaIPA.thumb.jpg.a2b908c6f8ad60be35654cc069f0f0cd.jpg

• Like 11

Coopers Draught with Carapils.

Smells like beer, tastes like beer, is beer.

Nothing overly flash.  Just a nice beer.  Head formation helped along by the Liquid Pale Malt Extract and the Carapils steep.  The head retention was not so great.  Faded away to a thin layer on the top, which is better than disappearing altogether.

This brew was force carbonated, not bottled.

It would be interesting to compare it with the Coopers Original Lager I first brewed in 2017.  I thought that brew was quite okay.  Boy have I progressed since then.

IMG_3375.JPG.f81eea4f1a9f46c9dd20e06aab2e2aed.JPG

• Like 9

Coopers Hoppy Draught with Carapils.

This is the other half of the Coopers Draught experiment.  This one has a hot steep of 25g of Galaxy and a dry hop of 25g of Galaxy.

Peach and some passionfruit aroma, plus something else not quite right.

The flavour has the not quite right taste too, but more pronounced.  Maybe grassy.  Maybe something else.  Hop bite?  Perhaps the Galaxy hops were old.  It is drinkable, but just.  Quite disappointing really, especially compared with the plain Coopers Draught.

I was tasting this one well before I got the plain Draught on tap.  I was interested to see if the plain Draught had a similar harshness.  It did not.  So the harshness has something to do with the hop additions.

IMG_3376.JPG.dab7faec94ae892dd2a99030ab963817.JPG

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

@Scottie when you say toying with FWK what do you mean? hop additions etc? in most my time brewing kits and bits and partial mash. I could never understand people snobbing the extract brew because of the twang. kit beer from a tin, until i tried FWK.

Then i realised the only way to mask it was to late hop it in large amounts 50 g or more.  Really malty hoppy kit brews hold a good head and taste great if late hopped.

That masks the kit twang not forced carb its from the extract kit. Really what I'm saying is it's because of the late hops throwing out all that flavour that you can't taste the twang.  

The twang is the kit not forced carbed or bottle and until you know better it doesn't matter. 

Unfortunately for me I had just bought a whole lot of coopers kits cheap when I realised my local had FWK. Hoppy pale ales are fine but otherwise you can't compare a FWK to an extract brew unless it's loaded up and masked with hops. 

Basically my experience you can't compare a fresh wort kit lager to a partial mash lager. You can notice the twang and non freshness from the kit

In saying that the storage ability of these kits and bits and how easy they are to brew is still a great hobby and nothing to complain about. But I just don't think it compares to Lagers in the all grain part.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

Lagers

Did you mean Largers 🤣

Sorry, couldn't help it. I agree with what you are saying about the ''twang" most people who say that about home brew are usually Great Northern drinkers or worse (I won't mention the other horrid stuff) hops do make a hell of a difference, I remember back in the 70's apart from the beer tasting like crap due to the sugar there really was nothing added to address that awful giveaway twang you mention.

We have come a long way.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Coopers Hoppy Draught with Carapils.

This is the other half of the Coopers Draught experiment.  This one has a hot steep of 25g of Galaxy and a dry hop of 25g of Galaxy.

Peach and some passionfruit aroma, plus something else not quite right.

The flavour has the not quite right taste too, but more pronounced.  Maybe grassy.  Maybe something else.  Hop bite?  Perhaps the Galaxy hops were old.  It is drinkable, but just.  Quite disappointing really, especially compared with the plain Coopers Draught.

I was tasting this one well before I got the plain Draught on tap.  I was interested to see if the plain Draught had a similar harshness.  It did not.  So the harshness has something to do with the hop additions.

IMG_3376.JPG.dab7faec94ae892dd2a99030ab963817.JPG

Shamus, nice - THROTDO 😀

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Did you mean Largers 🤣

Sorry, couldn't help it. I agree with what you are saying about the ''twang" most people who say that about home brew are usually Great Northern drinkers or worse (I won't mention the other horrid stuff) hops do make a hell of a difference, I remember back in the 70's apart from the beer tasting like crap due to the sugar there really was nothing added to address that awful giveaway twang you mention.

We have come a long way.

I really don't mean to offend and used to think all grain brewers were snobs for mentioning the twang. Although I knew coopers Tins and a tin of malt extract were still not as fresh as a commercial brew. I stuck up for it until brewing a FWK now I can not do so unless it is late hopped to the hills. 

A hoppy beer is different from a lager you can not compare a FWK Lager to a kit or partial mash I have tried many times because of the love I have for coopers commercial.

15 minutes ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

I really don't mean to offend and used to think all grain brewers were snobs for mentioning the twang. Although I knew coopers Tins and a tin of malt extract were still not as fresh as a commercial brew. I stuck up for it until brewing a FWK now I can not do so unless it is late hopped to the hills. 

A hoppy beer is different from a lager you can not compare a FWK Lager to a kit or partial mash I have tried many times because of the love I have for coopers commercial.

The kit twang is a real thing. I reckon it comes from extracting the majority of moisture from the wort so it can be packaged into cans.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mr Beer Goggles said:

The kit twang is a real thing. I reckon it comes from extracting the majority of moisture from the wort so it can be packaged into cans.

yeah you are right as much as they are compact and user friendly and convenient for people I would always choose the FWK now if available.

• Like 1