Coopers Community

What Are You Drinking in 2022?

Pezzza

12 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Fresh yeast for me for every brew from now on.

Not necessarily the yeast, could be an issue in the process somewhere.

But I understand.

Reusing yeast works very well for me.

If you can, just leave the beer in the keg for a fair while, it will clear.

Mind you I don't really care about clear beer.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Pezzza said:

I think that would be a good idea - a month may be even better 👍

Yeah, good point mate but I feel it was a waste of time mucking around with old yeast, I said this for years & decided to try it, it worked a few times but this round it has stuffed up a perfectly good brew.

As far as the so called 'dirty batches' well this little black duck won't have any part of that about as much chance of seeing flying pigs.

ac88633923e8959bbc1e6bc5dfec3c9e.png

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, beach_life said:

Not necessarily the yeast, could be an issue in the process somewhere.

But I understand.

Reusing yeast works very well for me.

If you can, just leave the beer in the keg for a fair while, it will clear.

Mind you I don't really care about clear beer.

Mate the process was exactly the same, the 2 brews were done in the same morning, this one was even in the brew fridge temp controlled, the Draught was in a safe area brewed at ambient.

For those of you that endorse the process of re-using stuff, I wish you well but I sure as hell won't be doing it again.

I am not bothered about clear beer either, but this was quicksand. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Cheap Charlie said:

Yeah I cultured some more from the trub and washed it, it's in the current batch, so we will see how it goes. I will probably get into a system like @Otto Von Blotto uses, where harvesting the yeast for the next batch. I want to see how far I can take the yeast, and hopefully dispel (or confirm) the myth of yeast mutation. At the moment I have only used the coopers commercial, us-05 and the kit yeasts.

Yeast mutation isn't a myth. It will happen in a home-brew setting and often happens in a commercial setting as well. A case in point is westmalle yeast. 2 or 3 other Trappist breweries also originally used the Westmalle yeast but over the years it has changed to give there own distinctive taste from the original. Personally I have had a couple of yeasts up into the 20s for resuses. A Budvar yeast which I eventually threw as it gave flavours I didn't like. Also a chimay yeast which did mutate as well but I really liked the change in what it gave so I have kept that yeast and am still using it.

From memory the former moderator of this site @PB2 had the Coopers commercial yeast into the 40 or 50s for reuses.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Mate the process was exactly the same,

I wasn't having a go at you Phil.

Perhaps there was too much nutrient in the trub (dead yeast) or an over pitch, or some contaminant or some other issue with the re used yeast.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

From memory the former moderator of this site @PB2 had the Coopers commercial yeast into the 40 or 50s for reuses.

Yes, and that was apparently genetically different to the yeast it was taken from.

I'll leave it but it works, is easy and is valid.

• Like 4

Just now, beach_life said:

I wasn't having a go at you Phil.

Perhaps there was too much nutrient in the trub (dead yeast) or an over pitch, or some contaminant or some other issue with the re used yeast.

Mate all good, I think I used too much, there probably was enough in the flask for 2 brews, but it looked clean, smelt fine so I chucked it in. Time will tell but it has made me a bit reluctant to do it again. Thanks for your input, I will leave it longer in the keg, maybe it will clear up. Cheers.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, stquinto said:

First draws from the Coffin Pub: a Duvel followed by a Coopers APA. All right, I’ve got work to do on the head, but looking more than promising 🧛‍♀️⚰️

@stquinto, the first pour from an "outside" tap is always frothy due to the tap itself being at room temp and the flow of beer needs to chill it down first.  You may notice the next few pours come out much better.

I mitigate this effect by giving the tap itself a spray with electronic freeze spray just before the first pour.  I have few cans of this stuff from my IT/electronics business so now put it to this very good use.  See if you can borrow a can from your employer and give it a shot as it does work.  Note will not work if its just over carbed though.

Great job with the coffin too by the way. 👌

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Yeast mutation isn't a myth. It will happen in a home-brew setting and often happens in a commercial setting as well. A case in point is westmalle yeast. 2 or 3 other Trappist breweries also originally used the Westmalle yeast but over the years it has changed to give there own distinctive taste from the original. Personally I have had a couple of yeasts up into the 20s for resuses. A Budvar yeast which I eventually threw as it gave flavours I didn't like. Also a chimay yeast which did mutate as well but I really liked the change in what it gave so I have kept that yeast and am still using it.

I’ve been flogging the southern German lager yeast with Ottos method and dirty batched it a couple of times then chuck that yeast cake then use a starter to start again with the portion I saved. Up to about 14 brews now works well and the portion I keep is about a 5th generation now. I think using a lager yeast is easiest as less danger of over pitching. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

I mitigate this effect by

drinking more

15 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Time will tell but it has made me a bit reluctant to do it again.

All good mate, why fix something if it ain't broke!

It's worked for me but pure luck as I have lazy processes.

Let's make good beer!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

IMG_0126.thumb.jpg.35bcb42710c7ec6c90f15fdee1d88143.jpg

back to full time work and had a bit of a brewing lull due to the weather and a bit of the CBFs but have been doing a few FWKs. this one is a kegland NEIPA, verdant yeast, 50g 3 dry hop of a hop that i'm pretty sure was centennial - i need to take better notes. anyway, this is delicious, a couple of litres left in the keg and a combo i'll be doing again.

• Like 7

woolies1.thumb.JPG.5eac86c6bc5ab444cb5589320c1eb620.JPG

woolies2.thumb.JPG.05ac877eda011b4f20d511e03b97ed58.JPG

Woolies Larger

1/2 BE3

Dry Hop Galaxy 30g

Coopers Commercial Yeast

20L brew

Bottled a little early I think, note the krausen line. Out of the FV it tasted twangy, but this is only 2 weeks old and the twang has all but disappeared. Very surprised. It tastes clean, hops are nice, but lacks body. Great lawnmower beer or might palm off to megaswill mates. Was trying for a midstrength, ended up 4.3%. I'm not rushing back to woolies to buy another kit, but not too bad.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

The Coopers Real Ale had the same treatment but it's a bit cloudy (I blame the re-used yeast) so I will leave it for a few more days.

In the meantime, Cheers.

20221124_145309.thumb.jpg.9a9f2c852f30ef1a0b3b65924e3d54cc.jpg

Why would the re-used yeast make it cloudy? It is after all just yeast, how much did you add to the wort?

• Like 4

On 11/23/2022 at 6:07 PM, Pale Man said:

One thing Ive never done is recapture yeast Phil. I should because that Hefe I kegged yesterday is sensational. How do you go about it?

I think you are asking the wrong bloke here.  Just saying.

• Haha 3

On 11/15/2022 at 5:14 PM, jennyss said:

Not fair - my husband's Coopers Draught on the right looks more glamorous than my Coopers Pale Ale on the left!

What I'm drinking.jpg

You would have to be very pleased with yourself here @jennyss.  No holding you back now.  Go for it girl.

Those beers look the goods to me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

Why would the re-used yeast make it cloudy? It is after all just yeast, how much did you add to the wort?

Probably not settled out enough nor cold crashed long enough and then bottled.  If so it would need more time in the keg / bottle to settle out.  Four weeks in a keg does wonders for beer clarity.

I have done triple dirty batches (ales alone) and none have been cloudy, some even at ambient temps without a proper cold crash and still not cloudy.  That being said I have done one batch that was cubed for a few months before fermenting it and that one turned out a cloudy brew but after a couple of months in the keg pours super creamy and I sorta like it, the mouthfeel is to dream about  An IPA with kilkenny/stout like head.  Don't know what I did there but would like to replicate it.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

That's OK I Al, it doesn't bother me, my beers have been doing fine for years without messing around in the trub.

I like fresh yeast & that's how it will be.

Cheers.

Phil, I am going to send you a Christmas present.  It will get you out of economy class brewing and up into business class brewing.

You have to promise me though that you will harvest and spin up your own yeasts.  Get your AG gear out and fired up and spin up some CCA yeast and then brew some Coopers Pale Ales.  You will not look back and nor will you have to buy any yeast for these EVER again.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Phil, I am going to send you a Christmas present.  It will get you out of economy class brewing and up into business class brewing.

You have to promise me though that you will harvest and spin up your own yeasts.  Get your AG gear out and fired up and spin up some CCA yeast and then brew some Coopers Pale Ales.  You will not look back and nor will you have to buy any yeast for these EVER again.

Al that is a very generous offer, I am intrigued with what you are saying. Of course, I am willing to try anything & I appreciate your input. I can be a stubborn bugger but always willing for opportunities to climb up a bit higher. Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/15/2022 at 12:08 AM, kmar92 said:

Hazy as, only been in the keg for 1 day. It should clear up with some time conditioning. Tastes brilliant.

My Coopers XPA clone with the Maris Otter f...ck u..p!

coops1.jpg

Turned out to be a beautiful brew, and thanks to @Pezzza for giving very pertinent advice.

Sadly I am at the end of the keg, although it seems to be 1 of those rare "never-ending" kegs. It has also cleared up a lot with keg conditioning.

IMG_20221124_213644163.jpg

• Like 9