Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2022

Marty_G

2 minutes ago, stquinto said:

Well that was a bit dumb trying to pair Brewfather from my PC to the GF controller: all you need to do is import the recipes ...

Doh 🤦‍♂️

you can pair the grainfather controller  up to brewfather (only in the beta stage)   

just as easy to import the recipe mate

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

you can pair the grainfather controller  up to brewfather (only in the beta stage)   

just as easy to import the recipe mate

Bit of a pain TBH Oz mate.

I tried following the method from David Heath on YT but couldn't get it to pair. I think also it can be a nuisance if your PC loses connection to the GF controller it doesn't jump back in to the previous step of where you were in the recipe.

I like the idea of being able to go to the next step from either the controller or your phone. When I use my PC sometimes when it times out I have to do a hard-reset and a full reboot. Bloody pain, nobody has managed to fix it. "Computer says no" is the general reply...

Anyway, I have imported the recipes I fancied brewing and will tweak one to see if it takes it up on the GF app. Looking hopeful !

I would like to see how much of a brew you can do with a minimum of hovering over the pot: as the G40 has a large capacity boil-overs won't happen (at 23 litres batch size anyway). That way I could do a brew whilst working from home 🙂 (good job my bosses don't read this)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, stquinto said:

Bit of a pain TBH Oz mate.

I tried following the method from David Heath on YT but couldn't get it to pair. I think also it can be a nuisance if your PC loses connection to the GF controller it doesn't jump back in to the previous step of where you were in the recipe.

I like the idea of being able to go to the next step from either the controller or your phone. When I use my PC sometimes when it times out I have to do a hard-reset and a full reboot. Bloody pain, nobody has managed to fix it. "Computer says no" is the general reply...

Anyway, I have imported the recipes I fancied brewing and will tweak one to see if it takes it up on the GF app. Looking hopeful !

I would like to see how much of a brew you can do with a minimum of hovering over the pot: as the G40 has a large capacity boil-overs won't happen (at 23 litres batch size anyway). That way I could do a brew whilst working from home 🙂 (good job my bosses don't read this)

yes i think it can be a pain in the ass  having that intergration  , some people love it. but as i said its in the beta mode so its very buggy 

its not as if you really need it anyway  and you have a choice to follow either  GF format or brewfather format   which both can be done from ya phone ,pc laptop or what ever device you have these apps on..

I used to use the tilt hydrometer with the  brewfather  app   but i mainly only follow the recipe and not the entire process that the capability of brewfather has

• Like 2

@ozdevil and @stquinto, I brew with a G30 Grainfather.  And I do all my recipe prep in Brewfather.

The night before brew day, I export the Brewfather recipe and import it into the Grainfather app.  I do those steps on my desktop computer.  About the only thing I need to change is Mash and Sparge additions like salts need to be changed from Mash and Sparge additions to Mash Water Additions and Sparge Water Additions in the Grainfather app.

For brewing I use an old Android phone, with the GF app, that sits within a few metres of the GF, so it never looses signal.  So after importing the recipe to the GF app, I go out to the brew space, open the Grainfather app on the phone, find the recipe I just imported and select the Brew option.  Then I set the delay for Mash water heating and Start Delayed Brew.  Seems to work really well.

I tried Brewfather's GF control integration, and it works okay, but one or two of the steps happen automatically or quicker than I like.  In the GF app some steps require a tap/click on "OK" and then another tap/click to move to the next step.  But the Brewfather app goes automatically to the next step.  One case of this is around end of Mash Out.  I just find the GF app more suited to me, so I use it.

I gave up having the controlling app on a phone in my pocket, because when I wander out of Bluetooth range, the signal connection is lost and reconnecting at the same point in the brew seemed to be an issue.  This might be fixed now because I am talking 2 years ago.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

@ozdevil and @stquinto, I brew with a G30 Grainfather.  And I do all my recipe prep in Brewfather.

The night before brew day, I export the Brewfather recipe and import it into the Grainfather app.  I do those steps on my desktop computer.  About the only thing I need to change is Mash and Sparge additions like salts need to be changed from Mash and Sparge additions to Mash Water Additions and Sparge Water Additions in the Grainfather app.

For brewing I use an old Android phone, with the GF app, that sits within a few metres of the GF, so it never looses signal.  So after importing the recipe to the GF app, I go out to the brew space, open the Grainfather app on the phone, find the recipe I just imported and select the Brew option.  Then I set the delay for Mash water heating and Start Delayed Brew.  Seems to work really well.

I tried Brewfather's GF control integration, and it works okay, but one or two of the steps happen automatically or quicker than I like.  In the GF app some steps require a tap/click on "OK" and then another tap/click to move to the next step.  But the Brewfather app goes automatically to the next step.  One case of this is around end of Mash Out.  I just find the GF app more suited to me, so I use it.

your method @Shamus O'Sean is basicly the method i do with my bz 35l and 65l  only becuase there is no intergration like the g30 with with BZ systems

at the moment I am toying up going the grainfather g30 (I have been told by a good source there is going to be a brand new g30 on the market soon) and waiting  on that to arrive  or  to buy the BZ35l gen 4  ,  but i am also going to upgrade my bz65l to G40 or bz 65l gen 4  when it gets released down the track 

i am going to hold of on buying the gen4 bz35l  which is out on March 16th and wait to see feed back on how people are liking the new bz35l before making a decision  to wait for a G30 

Personnly i am not worried about the intergration with  brewfather with my equipment   like you said if ya walk off to check something you have lost bluetooth , i spose thats how wifi works better 

59 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I gave up having the controlling app on a phone in my pocket, because when I wander out of Bluetooth range, the signal connection is lost and reconnecting at the same point in the brew seemed to be an issue.  This might be fixed now because I am talking 2 years ago.

Bluetooth is good if you are with in range  and this is why i gave up using the tilt hydrometer becuase it is only bluetooth and you needed a repeater for it 

as Bluetooth  has a short range and i think that is around 10 metres and it doesnt like to travel through walls that easy

I now use the Rapt pills and is working very good only thing is it doesnt yet have intergration for the brewfather  but easily seen  in the rapt app  and the good thing with the rapt pill it has both Wifi and bluetooth (note bluetooth is not active yet but will be in a firmware update as the rapt has bluetooth as well)

• Like 3

22 hours ago, ozdevil said:

at the moment I am toying up going the grainfather g30 (I have been told by a good source there is going to be a brand new g30 on the market soon) and waiting  on that to arrive  or  to buy the BZ35l gen 4  ,  but i am also going to upgrade my bz65l to G40 or bz 65l gen 4  when it gets released down the track 

Pretty similar to my thoughts, OD.  I am very happy with the G30 for now.  But I would like a bigger system.  Waiting on the BZ65L Gen 4.  The bigger GF systems are too pricey for me.

I use a pair of iSpindels for monitoring my brews.  They are only wi-fi, but do the job pretty well.  Mine get through a brick wall to my router on the other side of the wall.  Their readings go a bit off track though once they get a build up of Krausen sitting on the lid and upsetting their floating angle.

• Like 2

On 2/15/2022 at 12:07 AM, Tone boy said:

You could always bottle a few and cc the rest ?

I bottled one prior to CC.  It's was super cloudy even after a week.  In stark contrast, the CC + gelatin bottles were, as usual bright in just one day with only a very fine dusting of yeast at the bottom.   

👨‍🔬 

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Brew day today, an AG Blue Moon Clone 

Been going to brew this for a while, pouring rain here in Brissy, so good day for brewing 🍻🍻

Ill take some pics along the way, cheers brewers 

A Real Ale going in for me today to back up the APA & the Pale Ale I have in stock, still trying to build them up but I keep getting thirsty.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

A Real Ale going in for me today to back up the APA & the Pale Ale I have in stock, still trying to build them up but I keep getting thirsty.

@Classic Brewing CoI’m still trying to build stocks up from Xmas 😂😂

I’m going to throw down a MJ,s Juicy Session IPA also, in between my AG mash.

Ill go back to a quick K&K tomorrow also, nice easy German Lager hopped with Hallertau 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

@Classic Brewing CoI’m still trying to build stocks up from Xmas 😂😂

I’m going to throw down a MJ,s Juicy Session IPA also, in between my AG mash.

Ill go back to a quick K&K tomorrow also, nice easy German Lager hopped with Hallertau 

Yeah it's blood hard, all that moving 😬 I didn't brew in Dec or Jan, I got stuck in to it in early Feb so things are moving slowly.

Fortunately I brewed 5 beers in November so that carried me through.

• Like 3

OK you Brewing Software Pundits what do you reckon the ABV of this brew would be. my calculations would be about 4.5% but I am not using any software ATM - the last batch for 23L was SG 1.037 & FG 1.010 using just BE2.

1.7kg Coopers Real Ale

1kg LDME

250gm Maltodextrin

250gm Dextrose

Kveik Yeast 11gm

15gm Amarillo Hops ( infusion )

Given the extra quantity of Malt I would estimate an SG of around 1042.

Cheers.

• Like 2

Some pics of my brew day yesterday, Blue Moon Clone.

Came in at 1044 on the refractometer.

‘Everything went well, happy with the brew.

60g Hallertau Mittelfruh @60 mins 

30g Coriander & 30g Orange Peel 5 mins from end of boil.

‘Will transfer from cube to fermenter today, ferment @20 degrees for 14 days, CC for a few more.

M20 Bavarian Wheat Yeast.

‘Also threw down a quick MJ,s Juicy Session IPA Pouch in the other fermenter. 

B20ECFC6-6B9E-49F3-A378-BD0600AB118C.jpeg

6B787C7D-159B-407E-8611-EC18D4FB61E6.jpeg

• Like 8

Nice little Pale Ale ( Tail Ale )

4.5 kilo of Weyerman Pale Grain, Bittered and flavoured with Pride of Ringwood.

First use of my grinding mill, set too fine. I had a little bit of a stuck mash but wasn't too bad. Only small adjustments needed.

Tail Ale.JPG

brew day.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Nice little Pale Ale ( Tail Ale )

4.5 kilo of Weyerman Pale Grain, Bittered and flavoured with Pride of Ringwood.

First use of my grinding mill, set too fine. I had a little bit of a stuck mash but wasn't too bad. Only small adjustments needed.

Tail Ale.JPG

brew day.jpg

Ive overshot. Starting gravity is 1050. Which puts it around 5.1%   I put that down to the fine crush. Oh well i'll take that.

Was meant to be a sort of a sessionable Pale but its up there now.

• Like 2

KB Lager halfway through the boil so far so good👍🍻although didn’t realise 1st addition was first wort but got them in just in time. Starter is cranking will pitch tomorrow. Added some acid malt to bring the ph down and carafaIII to adjust colour slightly as per Brewfather.

B2542C8A-39B4-43D6-924A-5004AACB9DB6.jpeg

49C8A476-6E17-4A6E-9519-4AAF5FF9C026.png

A57E0B66-13C1-42E4-B70F-CA2549EF160E.jpeg

• Like 2

Hit my numbers exactly and perfect volume of 20 litres. Whirlpool seemed to work as well as I didn’t use the hop spider. Wort tastes good also can’t wait for this one just like every other beer I brew🤣

4AE792AE-AE46-4A64-BEDC-934FCB65C0C4.jpeg

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 4

Coopers Australian IPA (CIPA) All Grain

Trying my version of the CIPA (Collaboration IPA).  I pulled back the ABV to try to make it more sessionable.  I ended up under-shooting my OG, 1.048 instead of 1.055, so it will be very sessionable.  I have been getting lower OG's lately.  Not sure what has changed, but I will need to adjust my efficiency.

Brewday started out with a set-back.  Set the delayed start last night, for 7am today.  Came down this morning around 7:30 expecting to be able to mash-in.  Target temp 55°C:  Actual temp 20°C - WTF.  The heating icon was lit up.  The heating switch was turned on.  Why are you not heating-up.  At first I thought does the Grainfather have a fuse and if so where is it.  Plus where can I get a new one if I need to.  Then I remembered the unit has a cut-off switch that trips if you boil it dry.  Although I did not do that, the last time I cleaned it, I had the element on to heat the water, but I left it on when I emptied the unit.  I realised straight away and turned of the element, but maybe not quick enough to stop the cut-off switch from tripping.  

Back inside to search the internet for where the cut-off switch is.  The unit was pre-filled with 24 litres of mash water, so I could not just turn it over to check.  Thank you David Heath Homebrew.  Found a YouTube pretty quickly.  Went back to the garage, reset the switch and we were off. 

Pretty much plain sailing from then on.  It was a bit of a weird brewday because I felt like I had lots of extra time up my sleeve.  It kept making me think that I had forgotten something.

36734282_CoopersAustralianIPAAllGrain1.thumb.jpg.3f0a71760abc9fdc1690524deb18b091.jpg

1810048969_CoopersAustralianIPAAllGrain2.jpg.7d8af95b34ea7b948f681d8f075d855d.jpg

485887605_CoopersAustralianIPAAllGrain3.jpg.569bb9920ea538f9d44ef61c6364d821.jpg

I have started to stir my mash around 55minutes, 40 minutes and 25 minutes.  I am not sure it helps or not.

IMG_2854.JPG.3889c4319f6cc542d4294f012ba849f8.JPG

• Like 6

Red ale today, OG wound up at 1.0416, bit lower than usual but I did skip a mash step by accident. Probably didn't boil it down quite as far as usual either though, the cube was pretty much full to the brim before the break started trying to escape and I shut the valve off. 

I'll make up the starter tomorrow, should be ready to pitch late next week. 

• Like 4