Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2022

Marty_G

1 hour ago, ozdevil said:

mate that would be ready to bottle now with out cold cold crashing

Up untill now I've CC'd and gelatin'd all my Kveik Voss brews to good effect.  I'm feeling high levels of anxiety at the thought of not doing the same for this batch!  🤪

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, BlackSands said:

Up untill now I've CC'd and gelatin'd all my Kveik Voss brews to good effect.  I'm feeling high levels of anxiety at the thought of not doing the same for this batch!  🤪

You could always bottle a few and cc the rest ?

• Like 2

Been a while since IP Brewing was at work, so since everything is set up am hoping to get a few underway if all goes to plan 😬

So -- SHOCK HORROR 😲-- with long overdue advice from all of you sensible Brewers out there... am going to have a crack at a lower ABV Beer... projecting around 3.5% but hopefully full bodied plus some lip-smacking hoppage.

Malts:  Voyager Veloria + Rye + Wheat + a teeny bit of Choc for colour and Mashing a little warmer 😆

Now underway:

[All going well might do a "LARGER" tomorrow]

image.thumb.png.d937b58732ddc71e923ffb8348dcc512.png

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

On 2/14/2022 at 4:51 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

The speed of the ferment is about the fastest I have seen.  Running at 18°C.  Down to 1.012 24 hours after pitching.  I increased the temperature to 20°C because I usually do that when a brew drops below 1.020.  Now, 48 hours after pitching it is at 1.007. 

I will have to re-calibrate my iSpindel, which gave me the above readings.  The ferment still went quickly and appears to have flat-lines.  However, I just took a hydrometer reading and the brew is at 1.014.  Trust your hydrometer.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2022 at 7:40 PM, MitchBastard said:

You’re gunna be bloody impressed with how yummy these beers are

🙂

Cheers @MitchBastard

The ol' Kölle is a bit more steady than some of the other faster more vigorous Yeastie Boys is it Mitchie - or @Greenyinthewestofsydney Greeny or any other Kölsch Brewer out there reading posts from plodders like me 😋 ?

(Am running at 15 deg C)

• Like 1

brew day and its a hop slam  rotm = it was for the replacement of a missing one a while ago now

the difference is 

25 grams of sequoia hops 80°c  for 20 mins

25g of sequoia dry hop

25 grams of mosaic  dry hop (substitute for the seqouia

and using Kveik Voss    and going to ferment this around 30-35°c

and i expect  that Kveik will go to town  and will be done by friday  with the dry hops late tommorow night early friday
then i will cold crash to 1-2°c

anyway  lets see how it goes

• Like 4

Brew Dog (special shout-out to @Pale Man Paleo fellow Brew Dog Owner 🙂) yelling at me to stop making so much noise milling the lovely Gladfield Malts for today's upcoming "Larger" freshly milled Malt Mash:

image.thumb.png.95aae52c6f0fdfd52a1f6016e1e08bb1.png

Apologies for the towels etc lounging about on the floor in the background been some fluid spillages over the recent days with the pick-up in activity in IP Brewing's facilities once again after a bit of a layoff 😬  This is Day Three Brew Three so we'll clean up after it's safely ensconced in its FV : )

Edited by Itinerant Peasant
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

The "Glad to be not-so-large Larger" with a more moderate ABV forecast around 5%, using freshly milled "Gladfield Lager Light" 2 Row Barley Malt and a smidge of Gladdy Wheat (wheat top left corner)...

Here's hoping it works out for a nice pale coloured clean refreshing drop : )

image.thumb.png.9ac925c14cba091d53d5fa72749354d0.png

Edited by Itinerant Peasant
  • Like 8

20 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Brew Dog (special shout-out to @Pale Man Paleo fellow Brew Dog Owner 🙂) yelling at me to stop making so much noise milling the lovely Gladfield Malts for today's upcoming "Larger" freshly milled Malt Mash:

image.thumb.png.95aae52c6f0fdfd52a1f6016e1e08bb1.png

Apologies for the towels etc lounging about on the floor in the background been some fluid spillages over the recent days with the pick-up in activity in IP Brewing's facilities once again after a bit of a layoff 😬  This is Day Three Brew Three so we'll clean up after it's safely ensconced in its FV : )

Brew dogs are a special breed😀   they make the day that more enjoyable hanging around watching your every move 😋

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Brew dogs are a special breed😀   they make the day that more enjoyable hanging around watching your every move 😋

I was a little worried at his initial comments about the excessive noise - but after we got the mill rolling and he could smell the lush malts being cracked he seemed to think it should make a tasty brew @Pale Man 🥳

image.thumb.png.e5d53bd840b6f0ecd914e398cf51c500.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

I was a little worried at his initial comments about the excessive noise - but after we got the mill rolling and he could smell the lush malts being cracked he seemed to think it should make a tasty brew @Pale Man 🥳

image.thumb.png.e5d53bd840b6f0ecd914e398cf51c500.png

more  like i want a beer biscuit  

• Haha 4

Brewed this one finally last weekend haven’t had time to post it so here it is. Been waiting a long time to get super pride hops as they have been in shortage here. Brew day went well and its not far away from fg increased the temp to 18 yesterday. Will wait till it cools down here a bit till I cold crash. Looking forward to this as I haven’t had a Aussie lager for a while. My only mistake was I didn’t add any black malt for colour so will get a can of Emu Export to compare when my dad comes over and next time will add black malt if required. First time using the Diamond yeast will also make a KB lager with the cake. 🍻 I also mashed with a larger volume than the recipe and had a smaller volume  sparge.

F99FA942-1F67-44C7-BB0E-6C6AEE5B058F.png

92B069A0-2522-49D4-AF40-CD64361DD89F.jpeg

• Like 6

16 hours ago, RDT2 said:

Brewed this one finally last weekend haven’t had time to post it so here it is. Been waiting a long time to get super pride hops as they have been in shortage here. Brew day went well and its not far away from fg increased the temp to 18 yesterday. Will wait till it cools down here a bit till I cold crash. Looking forward to this as I haven’t had a Aussie lager for a while. My only mistake was I didn’t add any black malt for colour so will get a can of Emu Export to compare when my dad comes over and next time will add black malt if required. First time using the Diamond yeast will also make a KB lager with the cake. 🍻 I also mashed with a larger volume than the recipe and had a smaller volume  sparge.

F99FA942-1F67-44C7-BB0E-6C6AEE5B058F.png

92B069A0-2522-49D4-AF40-CD64361DD89F.jpeg

Be really interested to know how the SP hops went mate, I'm only doing K&k with additions or partials but I've had heaps of trouble with the SP hops and getting the times and temps right...Found no matter how or when I added them really bitter. I had different vaccum packs and all were well within their use by dates....

Beer looks beautiful mate, let us know how it tastes

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

The chock milk porter is boiling away and the assistant brewer is on a break cooling off a bit.

EBCE2AC1-FE2A-44B6-BE61-C354F3C5DC33.thumb.jpeg.8ab498c5ca76055bbb8bf5b34722fd31.jpeg

17A4BD1A-0E7E-4C1A-9C22-48959CCA438F.thumb.jpeg.d0e1878705ff1c80c295d9e5e47ec0f6.jpeg

Looks beautiful mate. 

Are you sure about the assistant title Aussie seems to me like you've been demoted. Looks to me like the foreman/women has taken the Rock star park while overseeing your brewing work.

Edited by Mickep
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, Mickep said:

Be really interested to know how the SP hops went mate, I'm only doing K&k with additions or partials but I've had heaps of trouble with the SP hops and getting the times and temps right...Found no matter how or when I added them really bitter. I had different vaccum packs and all were well within their use by dates....

Beer looks beautiful mate, let us know how it tastes

Thanks mate I’ve only bittered the beer to 18ibus which is what emu export is and hence using only 19.3 grams of hops for the whole beer which isn’t much as it has quite a high alpha acid. I would imagine if used on top of a bittered extract you wouldn’t need much. What type of beer were you making as I think it would mainly used for Australian style lagers with a low ibu like emu export which I think it’s perceived bitterness (imo) seems higher but that also could be contributed to its watery megaswill body🤣 I am looking forward to it as my dad loves it and it’s a really cheap beer to make if it works out. Not entirely sure it’s the right hop but from what I tasted it’s promising.

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

The chock milk porter is boiling away and the assistant brewer is on a break cooling off a bit.

EBCE2AC1-FE2A-44B6-BE61-C354F3C5DC33.thumb.jpeg.8ab498c5ca76055bbb8bf5b34722fd31.jpeg

17A4BD1A-0E7E-4C1A-9C22-48959CCA438F.thumb.jpeg.d0e1878705ff1c80c295d9e5e47ec0f6.jpeg

Looks good mate love porters nearly time for a Porter and stout at my house but I have too many beers I want to make. Bloody YouTube I watch it and it keeps giving me recipe ideas.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, RDT2 said:

Thanks mate I’ve only bittered the beer to 18ibus which is what emu export is and hence using only 19.3 grams of hops for the whole beer which isn’t much as it has quite a high alpha acid. I would imagine if used on top of a bittered extract you wouldn’t need much. What type of beer were you making as I think it would mainly used for Australian style lagers with a low ibu like emu export which I think it’s perceived bitterness (imo) seems higher but that also could be contributed to its watery megaswill body🤣 I am looking forward to it as my dad loves it and it’s a really cheap beer to make if it works out. Not entirely sure it’s the right hop but from what I tasted it’s promising.

Thanks mate, yeah Aussie lager styles, I was using POR but found it hard to get at one time and got hold of a whole heap of the SP hops.....I'd have to go over my notes but you may be right possibly adding too much of the bitterness to the Coopers Lager IBU - not sure I do like POR in the Aussie styles

• Like 2

Okay, grain arrived. We ordered a pallet and it became lost in transit. Yeah I know, how does that happen?

Recipe: Pacific Kveik
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.083 SG
Estimated Color: 7.5 EBC
Estimated IBU: 41.4 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
5.00 kg          Pale Malt, Galaxy (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)    Grain         1          66.7 %        3.26 L        
2.00 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         2          26.7 %        1.30 L        
0.50 kg          Carapils (Briess) (3.0 EBC)                      Grain         3          6.7 %         0.33 L        
50.00 g          Enigma [16.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min, 90 Hop           4          21.7 IBUs     -             
25.00 g          Galaxy [15.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min, 90 Hop           5          10.3 IBUs     -             
25.00 g          Mosaic (HBC 369) [14.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20 Hop           6          9.3 IBUs      -             
1.0 pkg          Voss Kveik Ale Yeast (Lallemand #- ) [50.28 ml]  Yeast         7          -             -      
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Like 4

Bad luck for my latest brew: after all the effort I was rewarded with an OG of 1.030 😵😳

I suspect I hadn’t done an appropriate mill of the grains, was worried about a stuck sparge…

In the end I chucked in 650g of LDM and 100g of Dextrose.

Might get lucky but the recipe will be a bit off 😳

AA4D71FB-B0B5-4606-90B0-A080F5802CA7.jpeg

8AD6F578-FDDB-48CB-ADD7-690CFD322877.jpeg

4CFB409A-FB39-4DA5-AB1B-34A6CF9DADA8.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

17 hours ago, Mickep said:

Thanks mate, yeah Aussie lager styles, I was using POR but found it hard to get at one time and got hold of a whole heap of the SP hops.....I'd have to go over my notes but you may be right possibly adding too much of the bitterness to the Coopers Lager IBU - not sure I do like POR in the Aussie styles

If it’s too bitter you could try subbing the lager kit for a tin of unhopped liquid malt. Then do a 30 min boil with your partial mash wort and add the Super Pride hops to the boil. 
That way you can control IBU’s. 
The lager kit is pretty bitter to start with IMO. 

• Like 2