Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2022

Marty_G

3 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

OK Chaps add me to the list of AG Brewers ( well hopefully it works out that way )

I have just jumped down the hole with that Rabbit, I have just ordered this from Keg Land;

So there is a very good chance I will be asking you guys for advice as so graciously offered previously.

So the next chapter in my brewing adventure begins  🐰 🐇 🍻  What have I done ?? 😬

Items Ordered
Items Ordered
Product Name SKU Price Qty Subtotal
Subtotal $478.40
Shipping & Handling $27.03
Grand Total $520.59
BrewZilla 35L - Gen.3.1.1 - EXTENDED 3 YEAR WARRANTY KL05821 $399.00
  • Ordered1
$399.00
Stainless Steel Mash Paddle (61cm) (Light Duty) KL03810 $15.00
  • Ordered1
$15.00
BrewZilla 3.1 / DigiBoil 35L Jacket (Neoprene Robobrew Parka) KL04831 $18.00
  • Ordered1
$18.00
Single Batch - Berliner Weisse - Miami Weisse
Grain Options
(Recommended) Milled ($2.50 - absolute price)
This recipe kit calls for Rice Hulls. Do you have some already?
Rice Hulls 1kg ($3.99 - absolute price)
KB05281-KL09348-KL08136 $39.91
  • Ordered1
$46.40

Already I have a question, after reading the manual I have found the Brew Father subscription $29, I assume this would work affectively with the unit ? 

TIA

Cheers

Phil

https://www.kegland.com.au/brewfather-subscription.html

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Already I have a question, after reading the manual I have found the Brew Father subscription $29, I assume this would work affectively with the unit ? 

TIA

Cheers

Phil

its what i use   for my BZ 35l and what most use for there brewing

Also you will find some extract brews on brewfather as well

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

OK Cheers, that sounds like a move in the right direction, I just need to focus & get things on track before it arrives,

brewfather is a step in the right direction  and i am sure the BZ owners here will help you through this to make it  an easier transition  and the 1st brew comes out good

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

TIA

Cheers

Phil

I also use Brewfather. I started out with Brewsmith but have since found that I prefer Brewfather. They both work well but I find the Brewfather interface a little better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, kmar92 said:

I also use Brewfather. I started out with Brewsmith but have since found that I prefer Brewfather. They both work well but I find the Brewfather interface a little better.

That's good, I suppose they wouldn't put it on there website if it was a dud. I have a lot of experience working with software so it will be OK, thanks for your input mate. Cheers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kmar92 said:

@Classic Brewing Co you can use a fully functional copy of Brewfather for free via their website, the only limitation is that you can only have 10 recipes/batches at 1 time. Go and try it out and get a feel for it https://docs.brewfather.app/

Yea I saw that but I assume the Premium version they refer to is the subscription for $29.

• Like 1

The entire recipe library is accessible for free, the only limitation with the free version is that you can only create and save 10 of your own batches at a time, if you want to exceed 10 you can always delete an earlier recipe before adding a new one. Just open the app via the Brewfather website and you will see what i mean. I think that you have to register an account with them but that is free.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kmar92 said:

The entire recipe library is accessible for free, the only limitation with the free version is that you can only create and save 10 of your own batches at a time, if you want to exceed 10 you can always delete an earlier recipe before adding a new one. Just open the app via the Brewfather website and you will see what i mean. I think that you have to register an account with them but that is free.

Thanks I just did register & I am in but I need to try & get my head around this, a lot to take in in one day 🤔

I am having a extract Pale Ale ATM & wondering what my first AG version will taste like.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I suppose they wouldn't put it on there website if it was a dud.

LOL, ofcourse there is no affiliation

But.. software is good, assume it is all similar.

• Like 1

Just now, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yeah I am aware there are other platforms but I will tread easy for now & go with the flow,

Yep, just run whatever - if your choice is optimised for your gear then it is the best bet.

It all does the same thing, gives you a style to work towards.
Helps you learn too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, disgruntled said:

Yep, just run whatever - if your choice is optimised for your gear then it is the best bet.

It all does the same thing, gives you a style to work towards.
Helps you learn too.

Makes sense I probably have a week before my gear gets her so plenty of time to prep & learn S....

I feel it will al come together, Cheers.

9 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

OK Chaps add me to the list of AG Brewers ( well hopefully it works out that way )

I have just jumped down the hole with that Rabbit, I have just ordered this from Keg Land;

So there is a very good chance I will be asking you guys for advice as so graciously offered previously.

So the next chapter in my brewing adventure begins  🐰 🐇 🍻  What have I done ?? 😬

Items Ordered
Items Ordered
Product Name SKU Price Qty Subtotal
Subtotal $478.40
Shipping & Handling $27.03
Grand Total $520.59
BrewZilla 35L - Gen.3.1.1 - EXTENDED 3 YEAR WARRANTY KL05821 $399.00
  • Ordered1
$399.00
Stainless Steel Mash Paddle (61cm) (Light Duty) KL03810 $15.00
  • Ordered1
$15.00
BrewZilla 3.1 / DigiBoil 35L Jacket (Neoprene Robobrew Parka) KL04831 $18.00
  • Ordered1
$18.00
Single Batch - Berliner Weisse - Miami Weisse
Grain Options
(Recommended) Milled ($2.50 - absolute price)
This recipe kit calls for Rice Hulls. Do you have some already?
Rice Hulls 1kg ($3.99 - absolute price)
KB05281-KL09348-KL08136 $39.91
  • Ordered1
$46.40

Great stuff, Phil.  A big jump down the rabbit hole, but one you will catch onto very quickly.

I did a copy of the Miami Weisse a while ago.  Do not tell Kegland.  It turned out really well.  It is a very easy way to create a sour beer.  But it will not be "cat bum face" sour.  Which, I think is a good thing.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Makes sense I probably have a week before my gear gets her so plenty of time to prep & learn S....

I feel it will al come together, Cheers.

I am not sure how the subscription works though Kegland.  I went directly via the Brewfather website.  This worked best for me.

I found Brewfather a very intuitive piece of software.  Worth every cent I paid for it.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, MUZZY said:

There must be something in the air, Phil, because I just got an email from Kegland advising the arrival of those 8 litre PET kegs they've been waiting on. I've procrastinated for ages about getting kegs and these 8l jobs remove a few of the obstacles that were stopping me ie. they're cheap, fairly portable and a size that will fit in my existing bar fridge. The only reason I have to not get kegs now is my own fear of blowing myself up with pressurised gas. 😉 

Hey Muzzy, I got the same email.  Being in Melbourne, I have ordered 2 of the kegs and 2 of the tapping heads.  They are ready for me to pick up from Kegland tomorrow.

I do plenty of brews to 23 litres.  I put about 18 litres into a regular keg and then bottle the rest.  With these babies, I will keg the rest into the 8 litre kegs and serve them out of my kegerator.

My only concern is the seal on the PET keg to the tapping head.  Hence why I only ordered 2.  I use the Kegland T-piece and the carbonation caps on PET bottles and sometimes they do not seal very well.  Having said that, sometimes they seal fine.  Before I get a dozen of the 8 litre kegs I want to assess how a couple of them function. 

As you know, they have been coming for quite a while which makes me thing they have been working on issues before they went "live" with them.  So hopefully everything will be fine.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Great stuff, Phil.  A big jump down the rabbit hole, but one you will catch onto very quickly.

I did a copy of the Miami Weisse a while ago.  Do not tell Kegland.  It turned out really well.  It is a very easy way to create a sour beer.  But it will not be "cat bum face" sour.  Which, I think is a good thing.

Cheers Shamus, I thought it was time, I have certainly done my apprenticeship, so bring it on, I chose that one as there were quite a few out of stock & I only wanted a single batch for now.  I don't mind a sour now & again.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I am not sure how the subscription works though Kegland.  I went directly via the Brewfather website.  This worked best for me.

I found Brewfather a very intuitive piece of software.  Worth every cent I paid for it.

The way I read it was you pay $29.00 for a subscription but as@kmar92points out it is free limited to 10 brews & you can delete some if you want & keep using it. I will sort it somehow.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

kegland subscription is basicly the same  as brewfather website  except it may be a bit more $$ for the kegland one which is just a code you plug in to brewfather

either way its a great reseource   not just for your own brews but the library of brew's that is on brewfather.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

kegland subscription is basicly the same  as brewfather website  except it may be a bit more $$ for the kegland one which is just a code you plug in to brewfather

either way its a great reseource   not just for your own brews but the library of brew's that is on brewfather.

just to add to this for anyone

brewfather through their site to pay is $19.99usd  = $27.30 aud 
brewefather through kegland is $29  

this an annual fee  not lifetime

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ozdevil said:

just to add to this for anyone

brewfather through their site to pay is $19.99usd  = $27.30 aud 
brewefather through kegland is $29  

this an annual fee  not lifetime

Yeah I would've thought kegland would want their little piece of the pie

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

The way I read it was you pay $29.00 for a subscription but as@kmar92points out it is free limited to 10 brews & you can delete some if you want & keep using it. I will sort it somehow.

I started out with the free version.  I very quickly made the jump to the paid version when I discovered how easy it is to create a recipe.  10 recipes is great for when you start out.  But it is a bit limiting once you get a few brews under your belt.  I now have over 100 recipes in my recipe database and over 40 brews under the Batches database.

I don't think you can export your recipes from the free version.  This feature is important for me because I create the recipe in Brewfather, but I export the recipe into the Grainfather app for brewday.  That will not be an issue with the BrewZilla because it does not have an app.

Brewfather has timer and reminder features under its Brewday tab.  You can use these to monitor your brewday.

Don't worry about the detail yet though.  I think you will find it handy.  Although being the organised cook that you are, you might do your own monitoring.

• Like 1