Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2022

Marty_G

11 hours ago, stquinto said:

Is there a great advantage to sparging compared to a BIAB ? Anyone have any thoughts on that ?

I kinds sparge my BIAB, put the bag in a bucket with holes in it and pour water through, so who knows.
I'd suggest with BIAB you cannot get really high numbers with just a drain, BUT being consistent is the key, not high numbers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, disgruntled said:

kinds sparge my BIAB, put the bag in a bucket with holes in it and pour water through, so who knows.

I do my bag the same way and my basket is help above the kettle and the water is poured through the basket so it drains.  I would generally use about 5 - 8 litres of water.  The bag is used in my 70L kettle and the basket in my 50L kettle.  

• Like 3

A break in the QLD weather allowed me to put down the first run of this vintage ale/barley wine. I’d lean towards it being a vintage ale over a barley wine but fits into both categories on the high and low end of each…..

if you followed my previous post last night about mash volumes, I went with 21L of mash water. No sparge and came up at 1.062 pre boil. I boiled for 90 mins and dumped a whack of LDM into the boil at 15. The post boil grav ended at 1.090 but my 2L yeast starter dropped it down to the desired 1.080.  After kettle losses I only ended up with 8.6L in the fermenter but topped up to just shy of 11 with the starter. Should get 9 or 10 big bottles of the bugger to nestle away for a few months. 

Maris otter

medium and dark crystal 

Shepards delight

fuggs and ekg to 50ibu

WLP002 

to be honest I don’t have high hopes for this beer, but we’ll see. 

205D73F9-D05D-4905-8CA3-E55F16ACC64E.jpeg

• Like 6

Brew day today was a tad disorganised due to it being a while since I have done one plus no rain this month and all my big tanks are totally empty and only pump muddy water so had to set up for town water.  Unlike all our friends in northern NSW and SE Qld who are really copping it at the moment and my good wishes go out to all you people who are being drenched at this time - wish you all you the very best.  Take care please.

This is batch #74 AG #33 an AG Summer Pilsner a 44 L volume.   Somehow my efficiency was way up and I put this down to the slow increase in mash temp from 63 C to 70C.  It was supposed to be at 63 C for 30" then slowly up to 70 C for another 30" but it was more like 45" or 50" due to mucking around.

Aimed for a 4.6 % ABV beer and will end up with a 5.6 % ABV unless I water it down a bit.

Just used Summer hops as I have several bags of these and need to use them up before they get too old.

Summer Pilsner Batch #74 AG#33 - resized.jpg

Summer Pilsner Batch #74 AG#33_1 - resized.jpg

Summer Pilsner Screen Snip.PNG

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 8

Recipe: Flanders (Rosealare 3)
Style: Flanders Red Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 29.3 EBC
Estimated IBU: 11.4 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.00 kg          Munich, Light (Joe White) (17.7 EBC)             Grain         1          66.7 %        1.96 L        
1.00 kg          Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (5.9 EBC) Grain         2          22.2 %        0.65 L        
0.25 kg          Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC)                Grain         3          5.6 %         0.16 L        
0.25 kg          Gladfield Red Back Malt (65.0 EBC)               Grain         4          5.6 %         0.16 L        
10.00 g          Centennial [10.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min             Hop           5          11.4 IBUs     -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, disgruntled said:
Recipe: Flanders (Rosealare 3)
Style: Flanders Red Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 29.3 EBC
Estimated IBU: 11.4 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.00 kg          Munich, Light (Joe White) (17.7 EBC)             Grain         1          66.7 %        1.96 L        
1.00 kg          Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (5.9 EBC) Grain         2          22.2 %        0.65 L        
0.25 kg          Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC)                Grain         3          5.6 %         0.16 L        
0.25 kg          Gladfield Red Back Malt (65.0 EBC)               Grain         4          5.6 %         0.16 L        
10.00 g          Centennial [10.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min             Hop           5          11.4 IBUs     -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is that a dump onto the cake for a 3rd time?

1 minute ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Is that a dump onto the cake for a 3rd time?

Yep, I'll take a pic tomorrow of the FV when I keg it, see the Berliner thread for the Berliner's one... looks gross!

EDIT: third batch, so second cake...

Edited by disgruntled
Maths (has an s BTW, dunno what Math is)
  • Like 1

OK I am thinking of ordering one of these but I am not clear whether it would be the best option for me to move into BIAB, what would be the general consensus ? 

I don't want to rush in to AG but I was told this could be used in the process, this looks like something I could set up in my brew room & transfer the wort into a 30 FV as I have lot's of room. 

There may be other options but I want to buy something complete that can be expanded on.

https://www.kegland.com.au/35l-digimash-essential-kit.html

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

OK I am thinking of ordering one of these but I am not clear whether it would be the best option for me to move into BIAB, what would be the general consensus ? 

I don't want to rush in to AG but I was told this could be used in the process, this looks like something I could set up in my brew room & transfer the wort into a 30 FV as I have lot's of room. 

There may be other options but I want to buy something complete that can be expanded on.

or maybe this 🤔 🙃

https://www.kegland.com.au/brewzilla-35l-gen-3-1-1.html

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

This would do the job but to get somewhat decent efficiency you need some recirculation. You can achieve this through a pump and some tubing. However the pump will be ~ 100 and then your basically at the brewzilla price. For me I would go straight to the brewzilla.

• Like 2

Just now, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

This would do the job but to get somewhat decent efficiency you need some recirculation. You can achieve this through a pump and some tubing. However the pump will be ~ 100 and then your basically at the brewzilla price. For me I would go straight to the brewzilla.

It's funny as soon as I posted the first one I got a call back from the supplier & they said exactly the same thing, for an extra $100 I can see the benefit & the skin thingo is only $18 so it's a no-brainer, Cheers Greeny for your input, I thought the first one was a bit basic.

The plot thickens !!

• Like 1

Just now, Pale Man said:

Cant fault it. Great little machine, even for the learner.

That's me alright at least when it comes to anything other than opening a can & add water etc, but I am finding it a bit scary with all the lingo - Grain Bill, Boil, Sparge, Flameout, Water profiles, efficiency etc etc but it can't be rocket science, can it !!!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I'm still catching up on Kit & Kilo

Too many new words to learn for Me..

I started making beer over 40 years ago albeit primitive methods & there were gaps in production, however apart from the basics nothing really has changed, we used plastic garbage bins, electric blankets, fans, ice, wet towels, ice bath whatever but you still add Malt, Yeast& Hops & water. When it comes to moving the goal posts to a new process it is going to take a bit of study & concentration, however I think I am up for the task. Plus I know some of these kind people will help me.

Cheers.

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

That's me alright at least when it comes to anything other than opening a can & add water etc, but I am finding it a bit scary with all the lingo - Grain Bill, Boil, Sparge, Flameout, Water profiles, efficiency etc etc but it can't be rocket science, can it !!!

I was the same. But quickly learnt not to overthink things. After two or three brews it became dead easy.

The hardest hurdles are getting your head around brewing software. You do need that i reckon with all grain. Also is the length of the day. Usually around 5 hours including clean up. But if you're passionate enough its good fun.

As you know plenty of people here to help. But dont feel pressured either. If you can, try and taste other all grain beers to see if its what you're looking for. 

If you treat brewing as a hobby and a passion, all grain is for you. If you think its for a cheap, nice tasting beer, maybe think again. But you can also make all grain cheap, thats another story.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

You're already doing these things on a smaller but less complicated scale. Apart from water profiles but thats not important for beginning all grain.

Edited by Pale Man
  • Like 2