Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2022

Marty_G

3 hours ago, stquinto said:

Bad luck for my latest brew: after all the effort I was rewarded with an OG of 1.030 😵😳

I suspect I hadn’t done an appropriate mill of the grains, was worried about a stuck sparge…

In the end I chucked in 650g of LDM and 100g of Dextrose.

Might get lucky but the recipe will be a bit off 😳

AA4D71FB-B0B5-4606-90B0-A080F5802CA7.jpeg

8AD6F578-FDDB-48CB-ADD7-690CFD322877.jpeg

4CFB409A-FB39-4DA5-AB1B-34A6CF9DADA8.jpeg

@stquinto

it may have nothing to do with the milling mate

when you recieved  your G40  did you allow  for the dead space  in the unit

eg  my 35l  brewzilla has a dead space of 6.5litres   and the deadspace of  my 65l brewzilla  is 11.5l for eg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

43 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

I want to be like you when I grow up 

Lol

Brew 2 is on

Recipe: APA
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: American Pale Ale

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Color: 9.8 EBC
Estimated IBU: 63.9 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.00 kg          Pale Malt, Galaxy (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)    Grain         1          57.7 %        1.96 L        
1.00 kg          Munich, Light (Joe White) (17.7 EBC)             Grain         2          19.2 %        0.65 L        
1.00 kg          Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                   Grain         3          19.2 %        0.65 L        
0.20 kg          Carapils (Briess) (3.0 EBC)                      Grain         4          3.8 %         0.13 L        
5.00 ml          Centennial Hop Extract [48.80 %] (CO2 Extract) - Hop           5          23.8 IBUs     -             
30.00 g          Enigma [16.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min, 90 Hop           6          16.1 IBUs     -             
30.00 g          Mosaic (HBC 369) [14.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20 Hop           7          13.8 IBUs     -             
20.00 g          Galaxy [15.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min, 90 Hop           8          10.2 IBUs     -             
1.0 pkg          Voss Kveik Ale Yeast (Lallemand #- ) [50.28 ml]  Yeast         9          -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, ozdevil said:

@stquinto

eg  my 35l  brewzilla has a dead space of 6.5litres   and the deadspace of  my 65l brewzilla  is 11.5l for eg

@ozdevil cheers mate, but what’s the dead space?

5 hours ago, disgruntled said:

Lol

Brew 2 is on

Recipe: APA
Style: American Pale Ale

Recipe Specifications

Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Color: 9.8 EBC
Estimated IBU: 63.9 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.00 kg          Pale Malt, Galaxy (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)    Grain         1          57.7 %        1.96 L        
1.00 kg          Munich, Light (Joe White) (17.7 EBC)             Grain         2          19.2 %        0.65 L        
1.00 kg          Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                   Grain         3          19.2 %        0.65 L        
0.20 kg          Carapils (Briess) (3.0 EBC)                      Grain         4          3.8 %         0.13 L        
5.00 ml          Centennial Hop Extract [48.80 %] (CO2 Extract) - Hop           5          23.8 IBUs     -             
30.00 g          Enigma [16.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min, 90 Hop           6          16.1 IBUs     -             
30.00 g          Mosaic (HBC 369) [14.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20 Hop           7          13.8 IBUs     -             
20.00 g          Galaxy [15.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min, 90 Hop           8          10.2 IBUs     -             
1.0 pkg          Voss Kveik Ale Yeast (Lallemand #- ) [50.28 ml]  Yeast         9          -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nice tame one for you fella 😄

• Haha 2

On 2/16/2022 at 1:49 PM, ozdevil said:

more  like i want a beer biscuit  

I used to dump spent grain outside, the younger dog got into it but it makes him... ummm. urgent.

Shat in the house and then bronzed up. FFS. Never again is the young fella eating spent grain

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

8 hours ago, ozdevil said:

@stquinto

Just looked it up Oz mate.

Haven't found details of how to compensate. I sent in a message on the Grainfather site, will see what they say.

Good job I started on a straightforward brew - origianlly I wanted to get straight into a high-volume Belgian with a step mash... glad I didn't 😰

One takeaway on this is to start the brew day in the morning - I started at 1PM and wasn't finished until 7, without counting the clean, which took me an hour this morning. In my line of work it's the equivalent of doing a major network change on a Friday afternoon and hoping for the best for the weekend 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, stquinto said:

Just looked it up Oz mate.

Haven't found details of how to compensate. I sent in a message on the Grainfather site, will see what they say.

Good job I started on a straightforward brew - origianlly I wanted to get straight into a high-volume Belgian with a step mash... glad I didn't 😰

One takeaway on this is to start the brew day in the morning - I started at 1PM and wasn't finished until 7, without counting the clean, which took me an hour this morning. In my line of work it's the equivalent of doing a major network change on a Friday afternoon and hoping for the best for the weekend 🤣

@stquinto  what software are you using ?

also what grain/water ration are you using  if doing it manually as well

• Thanks 1

Just now, ozdevil said:

@stquinto  what software are you using ?

also what grain/water ration are you using  if doing it manually as well

I used the Grainfather for this brew, and found a Tim Taylor Landlord recipe on it. It used 4.25kg Golden Promise and 0.500g of Dark Malt. I had to add and extra 2 - 3 litres to the mash as there was no liquid above the grain: it seemed to have absorbed it all. So instead of 18l mash water I used about 20, and to compensate I used 16l of sparge instead of 17. I ended up with 24l, which was 1 litre overshoot. I wouldn't have though that would account for the drop in OG. So 36 litres for 4.75kg grain.

After adding the extra 750g of fermentables I ended up with an OG of 1.042.

I must admit I'm surprised about using pretty much equal amount of mash and sparge water. Still ,early day in this latest rabbit hole 😉

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, stquinto said:

I used the Grainfather for this brew, and found a Tim Taylor Landlord recipe on it. It used 4.25kg Golden Promise and 0.500g of Dark Malt. I had to add and extra 2 - 3 litres to the mash as there was no liquid above the grain: it seemed to have absorbed it all. So instead of 18l mash water I used about 20, and to compensate I used 16l of sparge instead of 17. I ended up with 24l, which was 1 litre overshoot. I wouldn't have though that would account for the drop in OG. So 36 litres for 4.75kg grain.

I must admit I'm surprised about using pretty much equal amount of mash and sparge water. Still ,early day in this latest rabbit hole 😉

2-3l of water to 1kg of grain approx

so to work out your strike water

Strike water volume = weight of grain * desired mash thickness

eg lets take  your grain there  of 4.25kg of grain  to .500 dark malt  combine this is 4.750kg

strike water =  4.75kgx3l
strike water 14.25l

if for example your deadspace is 6 litres  you  add this to your your total strike water

eg

14.25l of strike water + 6l of deadspace

20.25l of water needed for your mash

The above equations are approximate only  and is not the correct deadspace for the g40

Edited by ozdevil
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

2-3l of water to 1kg of grain approx

so to work out your strike water

Strike water volume = weight of grain * desired mash thickness

eg lets take  your grain there  of 4.25kg of grain  to .500 dark malt  combine this is 4.750kg

strike water =  4.75kgx3l
strike water 14.25l

if for example your deadspace is 6 litres  you  add this to your your total strike water

eg

14.25l of strike water + 6l of deadspace

20.25l of water needed for your mash

The above equations are approximate only  and is not the correct deadspace for the g40

Cheers @ozdevil mate !

Will look closer into it for the next brew.

1 minute ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Jeez Stquinta, just buy a can of extract & pour it in & add water, be easier. 🤣

You've got a point Phil mate ! I still have a few cans left over. I've got the makings of a RoM from a cuppla months back . Summer Berry Sour or something like that. Fancy making it so it'll be just ready for our summer (4 months to go).

1 minute ago, stquinto said:

You've got a point Phil mate ! I still have a few cans left over. I've got the makings of a RoM from a cuppla months back . Summer Berry Sour or something like that. Fancy making it so it'll be just ready for our summer (4 months to go).

Yeah there is nothing wrong with a well made extract beer with a bit of help with additives but at the end of the day everyone will choose a path that suits them. However you can still stuff up anything if you don't do it proper like 🤣Our Summer is nearing an end, not that we really had one but I need to think about Stouts & stuff now, you know, nuts for may.

Cheers

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

eah there is nothing wrong with a well made extract beer with a bit of help with additives

Dead right Phil. I came back to keg of Fair Drinkum I kegged about 6 months back. Clear as crystal. No way would you think it was HB. Some fabulous recipes Coopers come up with, hats off to them 👌

• Like 2

Recipe: Saasion
Style: Saison
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications

Estimated OG: 1.056 SG
Estimated Color: 9.1 EBC
Estimated IBU: 38.3 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
3.00 kg          Pale Malt, Galaxy (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)    Grain         1          60.0 %        1.96 L        
1.00 kg          Munich, Light (Joe White) (17.7 EBC)             Grain         2          20.0 %        0.65 L        
1.00 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         3          20.0 %        0.65 L        
5.00 ml          Centennial Hop Extract [48.80 %] (CO2 Extract) - Hop           4          23.7 IBUs     -             
20.00 g          Cashmere [8.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min, 9 Hop           5          5.5 IBUs      -             
20.00 g          Idaho Gem [14.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min, Hop           6          9.1 IBUs      -             
1.0 pkg          Farmhouse    (Lallemand/Danstar #-)              Yeast         7          -             -             

@Itinerant Peasant 

LalBrew Farmhouse is a non-diastatic hybrid (meaning it can break down longer-chained carbohydrates) that has been selected to make saison-style and farmhouse style beers (dry saisons but without the pungent sulfurous smell). 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, stquinto said:

It takes a while to work out things. For a bog standard brew, I usually do a 25 mash and 8l sparge. Grain absorption is about 600ml/kg, so at 5kg leaves me with 30l pre-boil volume. Boiloff is 4l/hr, so I end up with 26l of which 21-22 make it into the FV, depending on how good my whirlpool is. If I do a longer boil or use more or less than 5kg grain, I adjust things accordingly. This usually works pretty well.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, stquinto said:

Dead right Phil. I came back to keg of Fair Drinkum I kegged about 6 months back. Clear as crystal. No way would you think it was HB. Some fabulous recipes Coopers come up with, hats off to them 👌

I totally agree, the thing is I have never kegged before so I wouldn't know if beer stores better in kegs or bottles, I imagine there wouldn't be a lot of difference if they are stored correctly.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2022 at 7:16 AM, stquinto said:

Bad luck for my latest brew: after all the effort I was rewarded with an OG of 1.030 😵😳

I suspect I hadn’t done an appropriate mill of the grains, was worried about a stuck sparge…

In the end I chucked in 650g of LDM and 100g of Dextrose.

Might get lucky but the recipe will be a bit off 😳

AA4D71FB-B0B5-4606-90B0-A080F5802CA7.jpeg

8AD6F578-FDDB-48CB-ADD7-690CFD322877.jpeg

4CFB409A-FB39-4DA5-AB1B-34A6CF9DADA8.jpeg

How quick is that counter flow chiller? I've been toying with the idea for a while. My 15m immersion chiller takes about 30-35 minutes in summer and around 25 in Winter to get to < 25C. Anything quicker with less water usage would be a good thing. Although I run the water from the chiller directly into the pool, so it isn't wasted as such but I'd rather use less.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

How quick is that counter flow chiller? I've been toying with the idea for a while. My 15m immersion chiller takes about 30-35 minutes in summer and around 25 in Winter to get to < 25C. Anything quicker with less water usage would be a good thing. Although I run the water from the chiller directly into the pool, so it isn't wasted as such but I'd rather use less.

I think it took about 30 minutes or so. TBH I didn't find it was great compared to my old coil that I used to put in the brew. Quite right about the waste of water, though. I did fill my sparging kettle (my old brew kettle.... a bit of recycling as I pointed out to SWMBO...) with the hot wter that came out to use as cleaning water. Otherwise it is a crying shame to drain it off, even if where I am water isn't scarce.

I think I could probably have done with playing around with it more but like a kid on Christmas day I wanted to get stuck in. I'd picked it up on Saturday and did my first brew on Sunday. I could have done a dry (wet) run, checking boil off volumes etxc, I just did a boil to clean any stuff off from the factory.

I can only really do AG brews on a weekend. I would do myself a favour by prepping everything the day before, and setting the delay function so the mash water is ready for 6AM on Saturday and get stuck in. That'll keep me off the grog on Friday night 🤣

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Aussiekraut said:

@Aussiekraut I have a brand new counter flow chiller sitting here that I haven't had a chance to try as yet. I am a believer in the saying that you only get what you pay for, so I do not hold high hopes for it but I thought that I would give it a shot. I will also put the waste water into my pool so it will only go to semi-waste!

I think that @ozdevil had the same unit as mine before he upgraded to a more expensive unit, he may have a comment on how well the cheap model worked for him.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, stquinto said:

I think it took about 30 minutes or so. TBH I didn't find it was great compared to my old coil that I used to put in the brew. Quite right about the waste of water, though. I did fill my sparging kettle (my old brew kettle.... a bit of recycling as I pointed out to SWMBO...) with the hot wter that came out to use as cleaning water. Otherwise it is a crying shame to drain it off, even if where I am water isn't scarce.

I think I could probably have done with playing around with it more but like a kid on Christmas day I wanted to get stuck in. I'd picked it up on Saturday and did my first brew on Sunday. I could have done a dry (wet) run, checking boil off volumes etxc, I just did a boil to clean any stuff off from the factory.

I can only really do AG brews on a weekend. I would do myself a favour by prepping everything the day before, and setting the delay function so the mash water is ready for 6AM on Saturday and get stuck in. That'll keep me off the grog on Friday night 🤣

I hear ya mate. I didn't mess about wit things, I got stuck in. The first batch was a bit of a pleasant surprise as it wasn't half bad but it took me some time to figure out a few things. I started off trying to do full batch mashes and it just doesn't work properly. 33l of water, the volume of the malt tube and 5kg of grain bring the liquid levels right up to the brim on a 40l system. THat's when I figured out less water for the mash and a decent sparge isn't a bad idea 🙂.  

I tend to do double batches on brew day, simply because it gives me a weekend off every other week. So I fill up the kettle the day before, which also gives the chlorine a chance to evaporate and mill the grain for the first batch as well. Sunday I get up at six, fire up the machine and program the batch (no fancy shmancy WiFi for me) as I need it. I usually finish somewhere between 3 and 4 in the arvo, depending on the beer. I have to mill my grains outside, because SWMBO is a coeliac and I don't think the neighbours will appreciate me using a power drill out on the patio on Sunday morning at 6. They have enough to cope with when I blast some black or death metal after 9 😂 I need it as it relaxes me and the beer seems to be better with the right music playing 🙂 

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

@Aussiekraut I have a brand new counter flow chiller sitting here that I haven't had a chance to try as yet. I am a believer in the saying that you only get what you pay for, so I do not hold high hopes for it but I thought that I would give it a shot. I will also put the waste water into my pool so it will only go to semi-waste!

I think that @ozdevil had the same unit as mine before he upgraded to a more expensive unit, he may have a comment on how well the cheap model worked for him.

the  cheap kegland work fines kmar said i had and still have the it ,  but i would add  better clamps,  and will not take high pressure but if you  get a valve tap you can regulate the flow of the water

i am still yet to try my new  wort chiller out  and will not get to until i get back from tassie

the kegland cheapies  will get the wort temp down pretty quick in my opinion   due to the copper

immersion chillers are ok but  take to long to get the temps down 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1