Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2022

Marty_G

3 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Whilst I live in Melbourne at present, I can have anything I want or need in a couple of hours

Looks like FNQ delivery times are better than WA at the moment.  No truckies want to come here in case the border closes on them and they can't get in.  😉🍻

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Pickles Jones said:

Looks like FNQ delivery times are better than WA at the moment.  No truckies want to come here in case the border closes on them and they can't get in.  😉🍻

its pretty scary for the truckies  , let me assure you of something , truckies will only put up with so much and they have been following the rules with border crossings across our country. W.A  is one place we all would hate to head to as you quite rightly said border closures  are a real possibility still for us truckies  and mclown dont muck around .

W.A think they are a world of their own and they think they can survive without truckies and freight coming into the state and its going to get that way if borders stay closed beyond the 5th of February

• Like 2

Yet another simple partial brewed today... 

"Golden Jade"

• 1.5kg LME
  • 1.2kg GF Ale Malt
  • 200g GF Sour Grapes
  • 10g Pacific Jade @ 30mins
  • 15g Pacific Jade @ 10 mins
  • 25g Pacific Jade @ 5mins
  • 5g Gypsum
  • Kveik Voss

| OG=1.038 | EBC= 11 | IBU=34 |

👨‍🔬

• Like 6

Recipe: Dragon Fruit Sour
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Berliner Weisse

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.043 SG
Estimated Color: 5.1 EBC
Estimated IBU: 10.7 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.00 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         1          75.0 %        1.96 L        
0.50 kg          Oats, Flaked (2.0 EBC)                           Grain         2          12.5 %        0.33 L        
0.50 kg          Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                   Grain         3          12.5 %        0.33 L        
10.00 g          Pride of Ringwood [9.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min       Hop           4          10.7 IBUs     -             
Heaps of red dragon fruit
Philly Sour yeast

• Like 4

Brewed this today with a mate really looking forward to it as we blew two kegs at the same time🤦🏼‍♂️🤣 leaving me with just Belgian Triple on tap ⚠️ ⚠️ ⚠️ Might have get some Kveik for another batch! Hit all my numbers today as well 😃 Pitched US05!

FBB23561-6CD7-4D34-B84C-9F727F526A48.png

• Like 4

@RDT2 interesting recipe. One thing that I find interesting is the use of wheat malt and carapils.   In a recipe like this I am starting to think that the carapils which is used to add head retention is not needed as the 15% wheat is more than enough to give the beer plenty of head.  That could easily be dropped and the 230g added to the pilsner malt.   What do you and others think? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marty_G said:

@RDT2 interesting recipe. One thing that I find interesting is the use of wheat malt and carapils.   In a recipe like this I am starting to think that the carapils which is used to add head retention is not needed as the 15% wheat is more than enough to give the beer plenty of head.  That could easily be dropped and the 230g added to the pilsner malt.   What do you and others think? 

Your probably right tbh been using this grain bill for a long time and really enjoy it as it hits what I think is the sweet spot of flavour and alcohol making it a sessionable beer without getting blind after two beers.(4.2%)I just swap the hops around for variety and experiment. I have toyed with the idea of dropping the crystal also as I find it a tiny bit sweet initially but after a few weeks conditioning it’s spot on! Might even sub the carapils for more wheat!

I also mashed at 67.

• Like 3

Another brew day today due to my low beer supply everything went well but was 4 points short always seem to be when I use oats but not fazed. I started the mash at 70 not 65. No carapils this time🤣

025CA24C-BBEA-4060-81F6-93ADFBBF562B.png

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

Another brew day today due to my low beer supply everything went well but was 4 points short always seem to be when I use oats but not fazed. I started the mash at 70 not 65. No carapils this time🤣

025CA24C-BBEA-4060-81F6-93ADFBBF562B.png

I will also dry hop with El Dorado!

• Like 2

Put on a pale ale today. First time using verdant ipa yeast. Also no partial mash this time - the only grain addition was 150g “light crystal” which actually appeared quite dark once steeped…

I also added approximately 200g of the liquid malt extract to the boil to up the SG a little  

Fermenting this one at 20.5 degrees C.  I’ll also dry hop this one 

762C6847-177A-479C-AA73-E3CDED5E919D.thumb.png.0567f577fb7f3122df4a60b6cc156b52.png1714A030-16F3-4039-A633-7B237358B1E4.thumb.png.50d2aff192f845c9340da56766554b2b.png

Edited by Tone boy
  • Like 4

Summer Session Ale Ale

I bought most of the grain as a kit from Aussie Brewmakers.  Had to supplement the supplied ingredients with some more of my own to produce 32 litres of wort.  I do a concentrated batch (22-24L) in my Grainfather, then dilute with water (10L) in the fermenters (a pair of Fermenter King Juniors that fit side by side in my fermenting freezer).

• 3.8kg Coopers Schooner Malt
  • 1.8kg Traditional Ale
  • 750g Wheat Malt
  • 150g Medium Crystal Malt
  • 180g Acidulated Malt
  • Water treated for a Hoppy profile
  • 22g Galaxy 20 minute boil (total boil 60 minutes)
  • 22g Galaxy 10 minute boil
  • 14g Galaxy 20 minute hopstand at 77°C (was supposed to be 10 minutes, but I thought it was for 20 minutes)
  • 66g Galaxy Dry Hop
  • Lallemand Bry-97 yeast
  • OG was 1.045
  • FG Predicted 1.011
  • ABV predicted 4.5%
  • EBC calculated 12
  • IBU calculated 25
  • Got 34 litres across 2 FVs

About to add the grains

IMG_2819.JPG.49ae7256a1d121e5667b0f21f5aea653.JPG

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Mickep said:

K&K Coopers Eclipse Pale Ale.

https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/eclipse-australian-pale-ale.html

First "dirty batch"  I've done. The Eclipse followed a Bootmaker I'd done. Using the Nottingham yeast slurry left behind in the FV. 

Within 12 hours the Eclipse had started going gang busters.

Looking real good there mate, I went to Drakes Foodland for a quick brew mix for the morning, this is all I could get on a Sunday apart from the Hops & Yeast I already had.

20220130_153028.thumb.jpg.aabd7c38582f08d79fcb1c0207f7833a.jpg

• Like 5

Euro lager partial mash

2 Coops tins plus a kg of JW pilsner malt crushed and mashed for 70 min on between 65 to 68 degrees. No lid used to help hold heat in this time fluctuated a bit more.

15 grams each lemmondrop and sazz 10 min boil 3 steep. Whole Euro lager slurry been in fridge for month in jars pitched at 12 degrees BF on 11. 

19 1/2 litres OG 1.053 

20220130_153429.jpg

20220130_153400.jpg

• Like 7

@Mickep the eclipse pales is one of my favourites apart from my lagers I do. You will find it will ferment out in about 3 days with yeast slurry and should be a winner. I need to get another few batches of this on and keg one and bottle one. Nothing like some bottles stored away and find them again cleaning up or doing something.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

@Mickep the eclipse pales is one of my favourites apart from my lagers I do. You will find it will ferment out in about 3 days with yeast slurry and should be a winner. I need to get another few batches of this on and keg one and bottle one. Nothing like some bottles stored away and find them again cleaning up or doing something.

I agree mate, the Eclipse has become one of my favourites. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mickep said:

First "dirty batch"  I've done. The Eclipse followed a Bootmaker I'd done. 

YES...YES... <bigger and louder than Ash Barty>, <pumps fist> <runs around all excited yelling whoo-hoo!>.   At last you have rolled the dice, <pumps chest out>  😁

Pity the Eclipse PA was not dumped onto a CCA yeast cake but it will be good with Notty at the right temps anyway.  You will be moon walking 🕺 after this one comes off Mick.  No holding you back now.

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Mickep said:

I agree mate, the Eclipse has become one of my favourites. 

I just finished a keg of eclipse and Galaxy 2:1 very nice beer first time I used it. I still have another 100g of it😋

• Like 1

Brewed this yesterday for my son who has simple tastes.  Pitched with a litre of MJ 54 Californian lager yeast It is a beast of a yeast. Recommended ferment temps are 18c-20c. The last brew I did with it, a Fat Yak Pale Ale style of beer is brilliant more of a Fat Yak Pale lager though.  

Screenshot (29).png

• Like 4