Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2022

Marty_G

7 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

Brew day today, Samuel Adam’s Boston Lager, just mashing in, ill take a few pics & post later.

E3D83718-6E2E-46F5-BD60-37E81494C006.jpeg

Nice one RD44.

Looks very similar to the recipe I did.  Our numbers are very close.  What yeast are you using?  I managed to get some White Labs WLP840 American Lager Yeast for mine.

My keg of it just blew tonight.  Unfortunately, I could not find the commercial version anywhere to do a side-by-side taste test.  But I gave mine an 8/10.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Nice one RD44.

Looks very similar to the recipe I did.  Our numbers are very close.  What yeast are you using?  I managed to get some White Labs WLP840 American Lager Yeast for mine.

My keg of it just blew tonight.  Unfortunately, I could not find the commercial version anywhere to do a side-by-side taste test.  But I gave mine an 8/10.

Hi @Shamus O'Sean, i put the wort in a cube to cool down overnight, so will transfer to my fermenter today, using 2 packs of Saflager 34/70. Going to leave for 20 days at 11 degrees then CC for a few before kegging in a few weeks. 

• Like 3

IMG_9138.thumb.jpg.c16961db872fd3585ae9e47dca9c0789.jpg

yeast top up day, planning on using the saison yeast with the dark ale can this weekend.

also grabbed some east kent goldings (for a SMOTY ale) and some Falconers Flight from the hop fridge. never tried the FF before, will do that in a few weeks time. fun little shopping spree

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Aussiekraut said:

Looking good mate. I see your AG brewing is going well 🙂 

Yeah cheers @Aussiekraut, I’m pretty proud of the AG beers I’ve made so far, this was brew number 11 in the Digiboil.

‘Next item will probably be the 65L Brewzilla, so I can do double batches on my R&R from work., down the hole I descend 🤣🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Yeah cheers @Aussiekraut, I’m pretty proud of the AG beers I’ve made so far, this was brew number 11 in the Digiboil.

‘Next item will probably be the 65L Brewzilla, so I can do double batches on my R&R from work., down the hole I descend 🤣🤣

wait till 2nd part of this year when they bring out the  brewzilla 65l Gen 4, as the brewzilla 35l gen4 comes in middle of march areound the 16th of March   , they will be bigger mashtuns  with smaller false bottoms  and the screen is no longer on the bottom it will be mounted up higher and wil be bluetooth and wifi enabled  to ust on the rapt portal 

or you could wait till the end of the year and go straight for the 100l brewzilla (mind you you will have to connect up 3 phase for thise baby ) triple batch days   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

wait till 2nd part of this year when they bring out the  brewzilla 65l Gen 4, as the brewzilla 35l gen4 comes in middle of march areound the 16th of March   , they will be bigger mashtuns  with smaller false bottoms  and the screen is no longer on the bottom it will be mounted up higher and wil be bluetooth and wifi enabled  to ust on the rapt portal 

or you could wait till the end of the year and go straight for the 100l brewzilla (mind you you will have to connect up 3 phase for thise baby ) triple batch days   

Cheers for the heads up @ozdevil, the timing for me will probably be about spot on for the 65L Gen 4.

Any idea of the cost ?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Red devil 44 said:

Cheers for the heads up @ozdevil, the timing for me will probably be about spot on for the 65L Gen 4.

Any idea of the cost ?

it will be close to the $800-850 mark now that shipping is effecting Australia in some form and the current 65l 3.1.1 is $650.  the 35l brewzilla gen4 is going to be $599  current price of brewzilla 3.1.1 is $399

those keen on picking up a brewzilla 3.1.1 and bearing in mind you will not be able to upgrade them to the gen 4  after March 16th  these should  start to come down in price  as for those that plan to upgrade to the Gen4

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

it will be close to the $800-850 mark now that shipping is effecting Australia in some form and the current 65l 3.1.1 is $650.  the 35l brewzilla gen4 is going to be $599  current price of brewzilla 3.1.1 is $399

those keen on picking up a brewzilla 3.1.1 and bearing in mind you will not be able to upgrade them to the gen 4  after March 16th  these should  start to come down in price  as for those that plan to upgrade to the Gen4

Yeah @ozdevil, was thinking exactly the same thing, do you own the 3.1.1 65L ? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Yeah @ozdevil, was thinking exactly the same thing, do you own the 3.1.1 65L ? 

i have both the 35l and 65l brewzillas    3.1.1  model they both have served me great  as one is used for sparge and cleaning water while the other is the brewing machine for the day

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

i have both the 35l and 65l brewzillas    3.1.1  model they both have served me great  as one is used for sparge and cleaning water while the other is the brewing machine for the day

Ok, you have some artillery then 🤣🤣
Yeah @ozdevil, I have the 35L Digiboil, but if I upgrade to the 65L Brewzilla I’ll use the Digiboil for sparge water. 
Are you looking at the Gen 4 next ? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Ok, you have some artillery then 🤣🤣
Yeah @ozdevil, I have the 35L Digiboil, but if I upgrade to the 65L Brewzilla I’ll use the Digiboil for sparge water. 
Are you looking at the Gen 4 next ? 

I am toying with the idea of going the G40 from Grainfather  and selling the 65l  but i am not certain yet, wether to upgrade  

if i stick with Brewzilla  i will most likely upgrade Both to Gen4 and if i do that i will be selling my 65l brewzilla 3.1.1  and will keep 35l 

My cousin will be getting 1st dibs on my 65l if i sell it

Edited by ozdevil
  • Like 2

Simple extract brew today. Cool fermented ale.

1.7 kg lager kit

1.5 kg liquid malt extract

200 g LDME

100 g sucrose

Hops

20g saaz and 20g hersbrucker @ 5 mins

Nottingham yeast to ferment at 16 C

IMG-1494.thumb.jpg.3de136253b7d210d2597c62c99d78c2c.jpgIMG-1496.thumb.jpg.749aa3679f0d9b1a91375c793deb5453.jpgIMG-1497.thumb.jpg.a8260bfa4a303973ef79067c23a02cbe.jpg

Also scored this cool glass test tube thingy at the op shop - perfect for my hydrometer readings. My old one was plastic, and pretty hard to see through at times...pretty stoked with that score!!!

Ahhh, sometimes its the little things in life that bring joy...

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

As cyclone Dovi is giving us a good thrashing I thought I'd put down a simple partial-mash Galaxy PA:  First time using galaxy hops - they're not always easy to get.

20 litre batch.

• 1.5kg LME
  • 1kg GF American Ale Malt
  • 400g GF Redback Malt
  • 10g Pacific Jade @30mins
  • 25g Galaxy @10mins
  • 25g Galaxy @FO
  • Kveik Voss

Will cook this one at 38ºC !  ♨️

• Like 8

Oatmeal Stout - Brewed on Saturday 12 February.

• 4.97kg Joe White Traditional Pale Malt
  • 490g Quick Cooking Oats
  • 490g Roasted Barley
  • 380g Amber Malt
  • 190g Crystal Malt
  • 90g Acidulated Malt
  • Water treated for an Oatmeal Stout style
  • 35g Pride of Ringwood 60 minute boil (was meant to be 50g Bramling Cross)
  • 50g Bramling Cross 20 minute hopstand at 80-90°C
  • 15g Coopers English Ale Yeast (did a 1.8 litre starter with 180g LDM to create enough cells for this brew and the next one)
  • OG was 1.043 (predicted 1.047)
  • FG predicted 1.012 (actually got there in 24 hours, now 48 hours and it is at 1.007)
  • ABV Predicted 4.6% (current actual 4.7%)
  • EBC Predicted 66
  • IBU Predicted 27
  • 31 litres across 2 Fermenter King Juniors

I bought two 50g bags of Bramling Cross last week.  The first one I opened smelled of dry twigs and I thought, that cannot be right.  Initially, I thought I would use this packet for the bittering addition.  The second packet smelled like good hops should.  Both came from the same fridge at one of my LHBS's.  Just before I reached the boil, I chickened out on the twiggy packet.  Grabbed some spare Pride of Ringwood, did a quick calculation on equivalent amount of PoR to replace the BC.

The speed of the ferment is about the fastest I have seen.  Running at 18°C.  Down to 1.012 24 hours after pitching.  I increased the temperature to 20°C because I usually do that when a brew drops below 1.020.  Now, 48 hours after pitching it is at 1.007.  I might be kegging this by the weekend.

This is another brew where I do a concentrated batch (approx 22L of fermenter volume) in my Grainfather, then dilute with water (10L) in the fermenters (a pair of Fermenter King Juniors that fit side by side in my fermenting freezer).  I think that I put the volume stickers on my FKJ's in the wrong spot, that's how I account for the lower than expected OG.  I filled them to 5L before adding the wort.  The 5L is also cooled to 1°C.  I can only cool my wort to about 30°C.  5L @1°C + 10-11L @30°C = 15-16L @22°C.

235903527_OatmealStoutBrewPics.thumb.jpg.475b35b648ecf1a704a1a7d1df482b80.jpg

• Like 4

On 2/12/2022 at 3:04 PM, Tone boy said:

cool glass test tube thingy

Suspect that might be a borosilicate cylinder Toner @Tone boy a truly beautiful thing! 

It does not appear to have any gradations on it - plenty of such useful shape are often found in the form of 'measuring cylinders'...

Anyway no biggy - but you have scored a very nice bit of kit 👍 and all I have is the dodgy plastic ones haha!

Broke my glass ones : (

https://www.labdirect.com.au/glassware/measuring-cylinders/

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

It does not appear to have any gradations on it

Oh yes it does my good man. They were hard to see in the original photo, but now that the wort has cleared it’s a bit easier to see. Also used the flash photography!!

so a borosilicate cylinder eh? Who would have thought such a scientific bit of kit would make it’s way to an op shop in a tiny country town….

8E0FC9A2-1A50-41E5-8D31-44A0FA163CBC.thumb.jpeg.d9601ddb66b804fdf7f90c3655afd5a2.jpeg

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

borosilicate cylinder eh? Who would have thought such a scientific bit of kit would make it’s way to an op shop in a tiny country town….

Often labware is nice borosilicate glass - at the least it is a truly beautiful Glass Measuring Cylinder... truly beautiful.

On 2/12/2022 at 3:04 PM, Tone boy said:

Ahhh, sometimes its the little things in life that bring joy...

Haha and honestly - I cannot agree with you more 🥳

• Like 1

On 2/13/2022 at 9:38 AM, BlackSands said:

As cyclone Dovi is giving us a good thrashing I thought I'd put down a simple partial-mash Galaxy PA:  First time using galaxy hops - they're not always easy to get.

20 litre batch.

• 1.5kg LME
  • 1kg GF American Ale Malt
  • 400g GF Redback Malt
  • 10g Pacific Jade @30mins
  • 25g Galaxy @10mins
  • 25g Galaxy @FO
  • Kveik Voss

Will cook this one at 38ºC !  ♨️

mate that would be ready to bottle now with out cold cold crashing

gash from the homebrew network just did a ale using kveik   andfermented at 35°c and was in the keg  and drinking with in 48 hours

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

First Brew Day in a while... hoping on a tasty Kölsch with a few tips over time from @MitchBastard Mitchie Master Brewer and @Greenyinthewestofsydney Greeny King of the Yeast : ) 

Malts: Gladfield Pilly, Voyager's Vienna and Wheat

image.thumb.png.6d55abf30c48b9e4bcdfbc7e0ba32045.png

You’re gunna be bloody impressed with how yummy these beers are

• Haha 1