Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2022

Marty_G

Not for sale yet

but i could have the 3.1.1 35l brewzilla coming up 4 sale 

Fantastic starting kit for the brewer and if they want to start biab they still can

if i sell mine it will come with some Spare parts

also will have the pro screen in stead of the overflow pipe 
but will include the overflow pipe as well

just a few things need to align  1st before i sell

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pale Man said:

I was the same. But quickly learnt not to overthink things. After two or three brews it became dead easy.

The hardest hurdles are getting your head around brewing software. You do need that i reckon with all grain. Also is the length of the day. Usually around 5 hours including clean up. But if you're passionate enough its good fun.

As you know plenty of people here to help. But dont feel pressured either. If you can, try and taste other all grain beers to see if its what you're looking for. 

If you treat brewing as a hobby and a passion, all grain is for you. If you think its for a cheap, nice tasting beer, maybe think again. But you can also make all grain cheap, thats another story.

+1 to this. Two or 3 brews and it's dead easy. In those 2 or 3 take note of your numbers. Starting water, grain absorption rate, boil off rate etc. These numbers will allow you to hit your numbers down the track. 

Don't be afraid of the time either. Might take you 4 or 5 hours first few times then you learn when you need to be there and when you don't. After a while you work things out and you only need to be there for about an hour and you can do other things like mow the lawn or watch the footy while it's going by setting an alarm on your watch or phone.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

I think the BZ 4.0 is coming out, so the 3.1.1 will be sold off at discounted prices.

even though the BZ 4.0 is due to release   the 3.1.1 will be still available and not distcontinued  for a while yet 
however i do see the prices falling a bit as more take up the BZ4.0 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

That's me alright at least when it comes to anything other than opening a can & add water etc, but I am finding it a bit scary with all the lingo - Grain Bill, Boil, Sparge, Flameout, Water profiles, efficiency etc etc but it can't be rocket science, can it !!!

I was worried about all those things too but a few YouTube videos convinced me that there is no magic, no dark rituals and no rocket science. You learn as you go but in the end, it is not half as difficult as one may think. I've been doing all grain for about two and a half years or so and haven't looked back. It is a fair bit more work but it is also rewarding and that's what counts. 

But if and when you take the plunge is entirely your decision. Just know that there are plenty of people here to help out if you go for it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

even though the BZ 4.0 is due to release   the 3.1.1 will be still available and not distcontinued  for a while yet 
however i do see the prices falling a bit as more take up the BZ4.0 

Yeah, I'm thinking about upgrading to either a 65l BZ or a 70l Guten. The latter is more familiar but the BZ is a nice bit of gear. It all depends on how much the plumber will slug us for once he's done fixing our rotten piping.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

I was worried about all those things too but a few YouTube videos convinced me that there is no magic, no dark rituals and no rocket science. You learn as you go but in the end, it is not half as difficult as one may think. I've been doing all grain for about two and a half years or so and haven't looked back. It is a fair bit more work but it is also rewarding and that's what counts. 

But if and when you take the plunge is entirely your decision. Just know that there are plenty of people here to help out if you go for it.

Cheers that really is a good thing to know & thanks for your input, I have got to the stage with k&k & I don't see it ever getting an better than it is, meaning I am happy with my result but would like to experience new horizons.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Yeah, I'm thinking about upgrading to either a 65l BZ or a 70l Guten. The latter is more familiar but the BZ is a nice bit of gear. It all depends on how much the plumber will slug us for once he's done fixing our rotten piping.

i have both 65l and 35l bz 3.1.1    i am looking at upgrading mine due to my knees and back getting down on the ground change temps on the 3.1.1  like the guten even if i put it on a milk crates  its tough on the knees

the design of the new BZ 4.0 in 35l and 65l look great

but i am  humming and arring as i know a person who works for grainfather and Mangrove jacks
has told me, there is g30 in making   but couldnt tell me when, i am tipping october like the g40 release

but i think i will bite the bullet and do the bz 4.0 when it comes out on the 16th of March

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aussiekraut said:

exactly  thats what i did   could agree more with those thoughts

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

That's me alright at least when it comes to anything other than opening a can & add water etc, but I am finding it a bit scary with all the lingo - Grain Bill, Boil, Sparge, Flameout, Water profiles, efficiency etc etc but it can't be rocket science, can it !!!

Mate if you can follow a simple recipe for cooking something like minestrone you can do AG.   As especially you are making a sugar soup from the grains and fermenting it.   

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Alot of this  can take take awhile to get around but it doesnt need to be complicated

Grain Bill = is all your grains for the totasl of Mash  

eg  4.5kg of pale malt
       0.200g of carapils
total grain bill = 4.7kg

Boil that is self explanatory  once you rech the boil this is where you start your boil from wether your just doing a 30/60/90 minute boil   

so you just finished sparging you have increased your temp to  100°c   it finally gets there and at this stage  you start your  say 60 min boil and this is when you chuck your 60 minute hop addition

Sparging=  is rinsing the grains to get all the sugars you have left behind in the Mash. and this will help to get your post boil volume as well (personelly what i do here is  just sparge until i get my volume of wort ) you dont want to sparge to slow but also you dont want to sparge to quick either.

Flameout = is end of boil when you turn the heat off wether electric or gas   some people just say 0 minutes

Water profiles = Beginners shouldnt be worrying to much about the water profile as its more important to get other areas
down pat 1st.   Water Profile is  where you change your water chemistry to suit the beer style you are making using brewing salts. brewing salts will help making better beer  and more suited to the style you want.. but its not necessary
for a beginner A.Grainer to mucking around with straight away and this can be learned down the track.

I am certain others will also chime in and explain it better then i did or jump in and help there

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

Alot of this  can take take awhile to get around but it doesnt need to be complicated

Grain Bill = is all your grains for the totasl of Mash  

eg  4.5kg of pale malt
       0.200g of carapils
total grain bill = 4.7kg

Boil that is self explanatory  once you rech the boil this is where you start your boil from wether your just doing a 30/60/90 minute boil   

so you just finished sparging you have increased your temp to  100°c   it finally gets there and at this stage  you start your  say 60 min boil and this is when you chuck your 60 minute hop addition

Sparging=  is rinsing the grains to get all the sugars you have left behind in the Mash. and this will help to get your post boil volume as well (personelly what i do here is  just sparge until i get my volume of wort ) you dont want to sparge to slow but also you dont want to sparge to quick either.

Flameout = is end of boil when you turn the heat off wether electric or gas   some people just say 0 minutes

Water profiles = Beginners shouldnt be worrying to much about the water profile as its more important to get other areas
down pat 1st.   Water Profile is  where you change your water chemistry to suit the beer style you are making using brewing salts. brewing salts will help making better beer  and more suited to the style you want.. but its not necessary
for a beginner A.Grainer to mucking around with straight away and this can be learned down the track.

I am certain others will also chime in and explain it better then i did or jump in and help there

Any help is always appreciated but I still don't know exactly what I want to do, this probably would be the go, I could order it right now but I won't rush in. I certainly wouldn't want any bigger, I have seen a few of these in different posts & the seem to do the job but apart from ingredients there probably are more items required ?

Thanks for the advice, Cheers.

The All In One Brewery alternative with re-circulation pump as standard. Dual Element Control (1900w & 500w) Step timing and delay start feature. As well as the added new 3.1.1 feature of brew time by temperature automatic mode.

The Beginners Bundle includes:

1 x 35L BrewZilla NeoPrene Jacket
1 x Amazing Hop Spider
1 x Light Duty Mash Paddle
1 x 100mL Cylinder
1 x Hydrometer
1 x Pair of Heavy Duty Cleaning Gloves
1 x StellarClean Powerful Brewery Wash
1 x StellarSan Sanitiser solution
1 x 20L HDPE Hot Cube

BrewZilla 35L - Gen.3.1.1 - Beginners Pack

$494.14
IN STOCK
 SKU 
KB03193

The BrewZilla Generation 3.1.1 is an all-in-one, stainless steel, single vessel brewery that makes amazing home brew from grain. Exceptional quality and value for money from KegLand, now backed by a three year warranty.

Edited by Classic Brewing Co

29 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Any help is always appreciated but I still don't know exactly what I want to do, this probably would be the go, I could order it right now but I won't rush in. I certainly wouldn't want any bigger, I have seen a few of these in different posts & the seem to do the job but apart from ingredients there probably are more items required ?

Thanks for the advice, Cheers.

The All In One Brewery alternative with re-circulation pump as standard. Dual Element Control (1900w & 500w) Step timing and delay start feature. As well as the added new 3.1.1 feature of brew time by temperature automatic mode.

The Beginners Bundle includes:

1 x 35L BrewZilla NeoPrene Jacket
1 x Amazing Hop Spider
1 x Light Duty Mash Paddle
1 x 100mL Cylinder
1 x Hydrometer
1 x Pair of Heavy Duty Cleaning Gloves
1 x StellarClean Powerful Brewery Wash
1 x StellarSan Sanitiser solution
1 x 20L HDPE Hot Cube

BrewZilla 35L - Gen.3.1.1 - Beginners Pack

$494.14
IN STOCK
 SKU 
KB03193

The BrewZilla Generation 3.1.1 is an all-in-one, stainless steel, single vessel brewery that makes amazing home brew from grain. Exceptional quality and value for money from KegLand, now backed by a three year warranty.

you will have everything you need to start All grain brewing there

as the 3.1.1 comes with immersion chiller etc   and the mash tun etc

Immersion chiller you will require some fittings depending if you are going to run the wort through the chiller or water through the chiller    the fittings will be the only thing you have to purchase 

the only thing is do not use that paddle with your extract brewing and in the fermenters as it will scratch the buggery out of fermenters   if you decide on the beginners BZ pack

That cube in the pic will make got for  no chill and when your not ready to ferment it  (it becomes a fwk then)

11 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

you will have everything you need to start All grain brewing there

as the 3.1.1 comes with immersion chiller etc   and the mash tun etc

Immersion chiller you will require some fittings depending if you are going to run the wort through the chiller or water through the chiller    the fittings will be the only thing you have to purchase 

the only thing is do not use that paddle with your extract brewing and in the fermenters as it will scratch the buggery out of fermenters   if you decide on the beginners BZ pack

That cube in the pic will make got for  no chill and when your not ready to ferment it  (it becomes a fwk then)

After studying the contents it makes you wonder whether just buying the BZ unit/Jacket & basics would be a better option than doubling up on stuff I already have, Hydrometer/Cleaners/Stirring Spoon etc - it may work out even cheaper or you could add other items you really need.

18 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Grain Bill, Boil, Sparge, Flameout, Water profiles, efficiency

Recipe
Bubbles
Rinsing water
Power off
Doesn't matter for now
How much sugar you get from the grain, number doesn't matter, consistency does

• Like 3

1 hour ago, disgruntled said:

Recipe
Bubbles
Rinsing water
Power off
Doesn't matter for now
How much sugar you get from the grain, number doesn't matter, consistency does

Thanks mate you make it sound easy, which it more than likely is, I have got one foot over the hole ATM so I guess it won't be far away.

• Like 1

Coopers English Bitter

Whatever yeast Coopers put with the English Bitter works pretty fast, I put the kit together yesterday afternoon & by evening the airlock was active, still going strong now. I found this but don't know how reliable it is but it also states the yeast used is the Ac strain.

Maybe @Coopers/Frank could confirm this. 

English Bitter - Ac yeast. Styrian Golding hops. 590/43 IBU

Ac = Coopers ale yeast (our own strain, not the same as the yeast in our commercial ales, developed in-house and propagated under contract).
A = various ale yeast
L = various lager yeast
Wh = wheat yeast

4 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Thanks mate you make it sound easy, which it more than likely is, I have got one foot over the hole ATM so I guess it won't be far away.

It is not rocket science, I mean if I can do it anyone can 😉

• Haha 3

All right, finally caught up.

5 kegs full, 2 fvs on and another brew for the cube today

Recipe: Simple Saison
Style: Saison
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.045 SG
Estimated Color: 4.8 EBC
Estimated IBU: 24.8 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
2.50 kg          Pale Malt, Galaxy (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)    Grain         1          62.5 %        1.63 L        
1.50 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         2          37.5 %        0.98 L        
25.00 g          Cashmere [8.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min                Hop           3          24.8 IBUs     -             
1.0 pkg          Belle Saison (Lallemand/Danstar #-)              Yeast         4          -             -             

-------------------------------
  • Like 1