Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2022

Marty_G

1 minute ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I started out with the free version.  I very quickly made the jump to the paid version when I discovered how easy it is to create a recipe.  10 recipes is great for when you start out.  But it is a bit limiting once you get a few brews under your belt.  I now have over 100 recipes in my recipe database and over 40 brews under the Batches database.

I don't think you can export your recipes from the free version.  This feature is important for me because I create the recipe in Brewfather, but I export the recipe into the Grainfather app for brewday.  That will not be an issue with the BrewZilla because it does not have an app.

Brewfather has timer and reminder features under its Brewday tab.  You can use these to monitor your brewday.

Don't worry about the detail yet though.  I think you will find it handy.  Although being the organised cook that you are, you might do your own monitoring.

Cheers Shamus, I have installed the free version & on my phone but honestly it's just a lot of lingo I am struggling with ATM but I guess I will get there. There is no point me paying for it just yet because I have to work the free one but I will down the track.

This is going to be trial & error for a while before I understand the procedures & order of each sequence but there are heaps of YouTube videos to help me out as well as the Keg Land website. It won't arrive for probably a week so there is time to study up on the basics, I don't want to muck the first brew up. I like the idea of an app monitoring but I will probably just take one step at a time for now.  

• Like 1

@Classic Brewing Co to make it easier to get going with Brewfather there are already profiles for the Brewzilla in Brewfather. Go to Profiles -> Equipment and you will see them listed. Having a ready made profile will save you a lot of time and research. You can then tweak the profile later on if you want, as you get more time on the Brewzilla.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

@Classic Brewing Co to make it easier to get going with Brewfather there are already profiles for the Brewzilla in Brewfather. Go to Profiles -> Equipment and you will see them listed. Having a ready made profile will save you a lot of time and research. You can then tweak the profile later on if you want, as you get more time on the Brewzilla.

Hey thanks @kmar92I appreciate that, I need all the advice I can get ATM this is a whole new experience, everyone keeps telling me it's not rocket science so it must be easy 🤣 why am I still trying to work it all out 🤔 I just did what you said but it's still double Dutch to me.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2022 at 12:18 PM, Classic Brewing Co said:

OK Chaps add me to the list of AG Brewers ( well hopefully it works out that way )

I have just jumped down the hole with that Rabbit, I have just ordered this from Keg Land;

So there is a very good chance I will be asking you guys for advice as so graciously offered previously.

So the next chapter in my brewing adventure begins  🐰 🐇 🍻  What have I done ?? 😬

Items Ordered
Items Ordered
Product Name SKU Price Qty Subtotal
Subtotal $478.40
Shipping & Handling $27.03
Grand Total $520.59
BrewZilla 35L - Gen.3.1.1 - EXTENDED 3 YEAR WARRANTY KL05821 $399.00
  • Ordered1
$399.00
Stainless Steel Mash Paddle (61cm) (Light Duty) KL03810 $15.00
  • Ordered1
$15.00
BrewZilla 3.1 / DigiBoil 35L Jacket (Neoprene Robobrew Parka) KL04831 $18.00
  • Ordered1
$18.00
Single Batch - Berliner Weisse - Miami Weisse
Grain Options
(Recommended) Milled ($2.50 - absolute price)
This recipe kit calls for Rice Hulls. Do you have some already?
Rice Hulls 1kg ($3.99 - absolute price)
KB05281-KL09348-KL08136 $39.91
  • Ordered1
$46.40

Welcome to the dark side @Classic Brewing Co, you will love it mate👍

• Like 1

@Classic Brewing Co heaps of information here https://docs.brewfather.app/getting-started .You will also find many good videos on YouTube on setting up Brewfather and making recipes using it.

Kegland  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAh_so1JqIs and David Heath https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U0Hama2NwM are 2 that I saw on a quick search and they both provide great info.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Cheers RD, I know I will but still struggling a bit with the process/sequences etc but I am sure it will fall into place, I can't seem to make any sense of the software ATM.

I have Brewfather, what have you got @Classic Brewing Co?

First couple of brews I failed to hit numbers such as Original Gravity.

‘I’m gonna buy the 65L Brewzilla so I can do double batches during my R&R as I’m fifo.

‘That will keep stocks up and free me up for other things whilst on break.

Then I will use my Digiboil for holding sparge water. 
You will love it though and as has been already said, plenty of help & sound advice on this forum. 

• Like 1

Just now, kmar92 said:

@Classic Brewing Co heaps of information here https://docs.brewfather.app/getting-started .You will also find many good videos on YouTube on setting up Brewfather and making recipes using it.

Kegland  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAh_so1JqIs and David Heath https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U0Hama2NwM are 2 that I saw on a quick search and they both provide great info.

Thanks again @kmar92I appreciate it, I have watched a few of these or similar & I will check these out, Cheers, my background is graphics/ artwork & layout design/ photography/enhancement etc however this can't be to much different. Cheers.

3 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

I have Brewfather, what have you got @Classic Brewing Co?

First couple of brews I failed to hit numbers such as Original Gravity.

‘I’m gonna buy the 65L Brewzilla so I can do double batches during my R&R as I’m fifo.

‘That will keep stocks up and free me up for other things whilst on break.

Then I will use my Digiboil for holding sparge water. 
You will love it though and as has been already said, plenty of help & sound advice on this forum. 

Yep I agree, I am using Brewfather just trying to sync it with the process but I will, I don't expect the first brew to be brilliant but you never know, Cheers.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kmar92 said:

That's one of the best tips for Brewfather. Looking in profiles for a turn key set up for your gear. Also downloading somebody's recipe to have a look at how they set their brewing schedule. 

• Like 2

THANK YOU GUYS FOR YOUR SUPPORT re: AG Brewing

I want to send out a Special Thanks to all of you that have wished me well with the AG conversion & of course your support & advice.

I won't attempt to name everyone for fear of missing someone.

I will work it out & it will be fine, just a bit daunting at first given the fact for 40+ years all I have done is made extract soup with a few additions but it has been a blast & I have reached the point that I don't think I can push the boundaries of k& k any further.

So the journey begins, so thank you everyone I really appreciate it & hopefully soon I will be posting pics of my AG brews.

I can't imagine a Pale Ale getting any better than this so let's hope it does.

Cheers & thanks, Phil.

670189742_COOPERSPALEALE1STMAR2022.thumb.jpg.2b704daf51e083a8e4318edc57c2c53d.jpg

• Like 3

On 3/3/2022 at 12:48 PM, Classic Brewing Co said:

OK Chaps add me to the list of AG Brewers ( well hopefully it works out that way )

I have just jumped down the hole with that Rabbit, I have just ordered this from Keg Land;

So there is a very good chance I will be asking you guys for advice as so graciously offered previously.

So the next chapter in my brewing adventure begins  🐰 🐇 🍻  What have I done ?? 😬

Items Ordered
Items Ordered
Product Name SKU Price Qty Subtotal
Subtotal $478.40
Shipping & Handling $27.03
Grand Total $520.59
BrewZilla 35L - Gen.3.1.1 - EXTENDED 3 YEAR WARRANTY KL05821 $399.00
  • Ordered1
$399.00
Stainless Steel Mash Paddle (61cm) (Light Duty) KL03810 $15.00
  • Ordered1
$15.00
BrewZilla 3.1 / DigiBoil 35L Jacket (Neoprene Robobrew Parka) KL04831 $18.00
  • Ordered1
$18.00
Single Batch - Berliner Weisse - Miami Weisse
Grain Options
(Recommended) Milled ($2.50 - absolute price)
This recipe kit calls for Rice Hulls. Do you have some already?
Rice Hulls 1kg ($3.99 - absolute price)
KB05281-KL09348-KL08136 $39.91
  • Ordered1
$46.40

Good on You.. It will be interesting to read about your progress.

All ready so much advise has been offered

Can't wait to read about your first brew day

All the best in your journey 

• Thanks 1

Mosaic Amber

It was supposed to be another 20 litre batch of my "Amberillo" - except LHBS are out of amarillo hops. 🙄

So, same recipe but using mosaic hops instead:

• 3.2kg GF Ale Malt
  • 200g GF Redback Malt
  • 200g GF Shepherds Delight Malt
  • 50g GF Dark Chocolate Malt
  • 20g Pacific Jade @40mins
  • 25g Mosaic @10mins
  • 25g Mosaic @3mins
  • 5g Gypsum
  • Kveik Voss

| OG=1.043 | EBC=32.5 | IBU=32 |

👨‍🔬

• Like 8

With all this rain about I felt an English bitter was appropriate. 
Partial mash with coopers APA can, some liquid maris otter extract and 1.6kg of grain (golden promise, Munich and crystal)

Will add some EKG to the boil as well. Mashing away at 65 degrees at the moment 👍

8F0CDBF1-D41D-4005-A93C-96C8237E0AE2.thumb.jpeg.86f1b73af36e2cac3b2dc3b7cbb7e33a.jpeg

758D6F94-BDFC-41B9-9F80-AB303BA036C3.thumb.jpeg.05f0e6f570746a189a64939eee7699ff.jpeg

3A161538-EF4E-477A-A310-B98DDC339D50.thumb.jpeg.096ff34f63c005200990a434e0102e4c.jpeg

• Like 7

15 hours ago, DavidM said:

Good on You.. It will be interesting to read about your progress.

All ready so much advise has been offered

Can't wait to read about your first brew day

All the best in your journey 

+1. All the best on your AG journey @Classic Brewing Codude. Probably can’t offer much practical advice but with you in spirit. Looking forward to some photos when you are up and running 👍👍

Edited by Tone boy
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

Yeah I have my eyes on it too. I'm currently doing double batches every fortnight, so I can have every other weekend off.  If I can do big batches and fill 2 FVs, I could drop the frequency down to 3 or 4 weeks. The 70l Guten is also an option. It's more familiar and also a fair bit cheaper but the Brewzilla 4 sounds very interesting. The current 40l Guten could be used for exbeeriments or the odd single batch day. If I can get the bottom screen welded to the malt pipe, I don't have to worry about the pipe being slightly out of shape. It'll be a pita to clean though.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tone boy said:

+1. All the best on your AG journey @Classic Brewing Codude. Probably can’t offer much practical advice but with you in spirit. Looking forward to some photos when you are up and running 👍👍

Cheers Toner, thanks for that, I just picked up the ingredients for my first AG brew or it could possibly be the other kit that is coming with the delivery from KL. Now that I have had time to get my head around things a bit, I am thinking it will be easier than first thought.

20220305_121652.thumb.jpg.c47aa0605cb96ee40b99e4f4ef17de2e.jpg20220305_122003.thumb.jpg.0fde5de2466f1ae75d8f3f4d5565f27a.jpg

• Like 9

19 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

THANK YOU GUYS FOR YOUR SUPPORT re: AG Brewing

I want to send out a Special Thanks to all of you that have wished me well with the AG conversion & of course your support & advice.

I won't attempt to name everyone for fear of missing someone.

I will work it out & it will be fine, just a bit daunting at first given the fact for 40+ years all I have done is made extract soup with a few additions but it has been a blast & I have reached the point that I don't think I can push the boundaries of k& k any further.

So the journey begins, so thank you everyone I really appreciate it & hopefully soon I will be posting pics of my AG brews.

I can't imagine a Pale Ale getting any better than this so let's hope it does.

Cheers & thanks, Phil.

670189742_COOPERSPALEALE1STMAR2022.thumb.jpg.2b704daf51e083a8e4318edc57c2c53d.jpg

Good on you Classic, sounds like your beers are going to be a whole lot better very soon. Well done mate. Looking forward to a few glorious pics of the new AG beers. 

3 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Good on you Classic, sounds like your beers are going to be a whole lot better very soon. Well done mate. Looking forward to a few glorious pics of the new AG beers. 

Cheers Mate, That is the plan anyway 😀 the way I see it if you follow directions, temperatures, volumes & of course employ strict sanitary habits it should be a walk in the park.

I hope I can post some pics of successful brews.

• Like 1

Brewed this today.  The grist was a freebee.  Was an order that was doubled up.  Anyway threw some Cascade and Nelson Sauvin into the boil to give it some Fat Yak style flavour as that is some of what I had on hand.     The predicted OG was a bit high for me so increased the pre-boil volume by a few litres and came in at 1043 which is closer to the strength I like. That is why the efficiency % is so low.   Pitched it with a litre starter of M54.   

Screenshot (36).png

Edited by Marty_G
  • Like 5

Brew 1: Amber Ale of sorts underway with freshly milled malts now in the mash...  Gladdy Ale Malt, Voyager Vienna, some Gladdy Wheat and smidge of Voyager Rye... will be attempting to knock out three Brews in three days all going well... keg three Beers and backfill the FVs... well that's the plan - see how we go 🙂

image.thumb.png.c820e09e602b98223fac5b0a77cefe4c.png

• Like 6