Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2022

Marty_G

6 hours ago, interceptor said:

I have read that the hotbreak is good for the final beer.

The crud I skim is mainly husk matter as it all ends up stuck to the sides of the kettle above wort line when temp is lowered to achieve a rolling boil so i makes no further contact with the wort after that anyway.  Helps with cleaning up later. 

You think it should be stirred back in from kettle edges to mix again?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Thanks Al but I tried Bunnings & Snowy's Outdoors so far & nothing, I have googled to death But only come up with LHBS which will have to be Monday.

Fill the brewzilla to slightly more than you need for your mash today and boil chlorine off (no lid), allow to cool (also with lid off) overnight and you should be right to do a batch tomorrow.  Any of your neighbors got a rainwater tank that can spare 50 L for you in order to get you cracking?

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Fill the brewzilla to slightly more than you need for your mash today and boil chlorine off (no lid), allow to cool (also with lid off) overnight and you should be right to do a batch tomorrow.  Any of your neighbors got a rainwater tank that can spare 50 L for you in order to get you cracking?

As it turns out my neighbour who I have become friends with & shared beers has 2 massive tanks but he is a tightar..... so that could be difficult, I appreciate your help though, Cheers.

39 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Campden

Don't waste your money on the tablets IMO. As @Shamus O'Sean said it's potassium or sodium  metabisulfite. I bought a kilo and as Shamus said only a smidgen will do the job. I used to measure it out but now just eyeball it with a plastic spoon. 1kg will do you for over 1000 brews.

It takes 15 mins or so to work so I just add it when starting to heat the strike water.

https://beerco.com.au/products/sodium-metabisulphite#:~:text=Sodium Metabisulphite is a strong,and beer and wine bottles.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Don't waste your money on the tablets IMO. As @Shamus O'Sean said it's potassium or sodium  metabisulfite. I bought a kilo and as Shamus said only a smidgen will do the job. I used to measure it out but now just eyeball it with a plastic spoon. 1kg will do you for over 1000 brews.

It takes 15 mins or so to work so I just add it when starting to heat the strike water.

https://beerco.com.au/products/sodium-metabisulphite#:~:text=Sodium Metabisulphite is a strong,and beer and wine bottles.

Thanks Greeny that sound simple to me.  I will go with that.

• Like 1

brew stocks are low but plenty of ingredients on hand thanks to big w 20% off and a trip to the LHBS this morning for hops so I am going to attempt a double brew day tomorrow.

first up will be the SMOTY saison.. the standard cooper's smoty recipe with BE2 added and using BE-134 yeast. a bit of an experiment, i reckon it has potential.

second will be the canadian blonde can with BE3, a partial of maris otter, cascade and amarillo hops with nottingham yeast.

cleaning my FVs, taps etc tonight to get a good head start on it all.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

They do Muzzy, I haven't heard that for a while, you must be as nearly as old as me & it's my bloomin birthday tomorrow 😬

I'm 55, Phil, but the WB cartoons I grew up with are timeless. How Foghorn Leghorn never won an Oscar still mystifies me. 

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

No not that many 😬

19 = no, ok 189 then?😂

Happy Birthday for tomorrow (just in case I forget to log in on Sunday).  Have a good one Ol' Brewer.  I will celebrate very loudly from here for you - Cheers. 🎉 🎂 🥂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iBooz2 said:

19 = no, ok 189 then?😂

Happy Birthday for tomorrow (just in case I forget to log in on Sunday).  Have a good one Ol' Brewer.  I will celebrate very loudly from here for you - Cheers. 🎉 🎂 🥂

Thanks Al, I can hear Barnsey & Co making lots of noise down the road so he must have heard about it too. Cheers.

• Like 1

I was reading some old posts on this subject & came across this, after looking at the practice by PB2  it would appear that may get me out of trouble as I have a 20l plastic BPA free Jerry Can, I will buy another one today from Bunnings & that should get me into business a bit sooner. I realise know that there may have been issues with beer quality/taste etc, so I will address it.

Cheers for all of the comments & advice.

2 hours ago, GregT5 said:

You could also trundle up Anzac Highway to Port Road and fill up a couple of 20 litre containers from the tap at the old West End brewery. That water comes from the aquifer the brewery used. 

Nope you won't get much out of there anymore, BTW if you trundle up Anzac Highway you will end up in Glenelg 😀 turn right for the swamp ( Port Adelaide )

• Like 1