Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2022

Marty_G

6 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I found out Country Brewer has Campden  tablets & this is their story;

I am wondering if I fill a 20l Plastic BPA free Jerry Can with water & put a quantity say 1/4 of a crushed tablet & leave overnight or longer ready for brewing ?

Product Description

Campden tablets consist of Sodium Metabisulfite in a compressed, tablet form. They are primarily is used in wine, cider and beer making to kill bacteria and to inhibit the growth of wild yeast.

Campden Tablets can also be used to eliminate free Chlorine and Chloramine, from water solutions. Campden Tablets can also be used as an anti-oxidizing agent when transferring wine between containers. The Sodium Metabisulfite in the Campden Tablets will trap oxygen that enters the wine, preventing it from doing any harm.

Dosage: One crushed Campden Tablet per 5 litres of must or wort. This dosage will contribute 67 ppm Sulfur Dioxide to the wort. The level of active Sulfur Dioxide diminishes rapidly as it reacts with Chlorine, Chloramine, and Aldehydes (particularly in wine). The concentration of free Sulfur Dioxide is greatly diminished during the aging process and so is negligable by the time the beer or wine is consumed.

For dechlorinating tap water before brewing: one tablet will effectively treat 80 litres of water.

*** To make sweet wine or sweet cider, a combination of Campden Tablets and Pottasium Sorbate are required to halt fermentation before all available sugars are converted by the yeast. Use of Campden Tablets by themselves may only "stun" the yeast temporarily.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Busy Boy AK, at least you have got yours working !! I just need to address the water issues & I will fire mine up.

What's the hold up? I don't have a BZ, so I can't help you with specifics but what's happening? Maybe I can throw in the odd bit of advice.

• Like 1

So it looks like my gravity woes were based on my mill. Over the last few brews, I have been well off the estimated numbers for pre-boil SG and OG. I adjusted the mill a tad and now I am well over the estimated pre-boil SG and am hitting the OG numbers again. Actually, the 2nd batch for the day OG was 1 point over the estimate. Looks like adjusting the mill every now and then isn't a bad idea at all. Happy with what I got today.

Edited by Aussiekraut
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I am wondering if I fill a 20l Plastic BPA free Jerry Can with water & put a quantity say 1/4 of a crushed tablet & leave overnight or longer ready for brewing ?

That would do it.  But as Greeny says 15 minutes is enough.  Having said that, I usually fill my Grainfather and add the water additions, including Sodium Metabisulfite, the night before brewday, so it does sit overnight.

I use a hop scale from Kegland to weigh my chemical additions.  The screen shows up to 0.01 gram precision, so I reckon it is accurate enough to 0.1 gram.

PS Happy Birthday, mate.

• Like 2

On 3/19/2022 at 2:03 PM, iBooz2 said:

Fill the brewzilla to slightly more than you need for your mash today and boil chlorine off (no lid), allow to cool (also with lid off) overnight and you should be right to do a batch tomorrow. 

That won't get rid of the chloramine 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, interceptor said:

That won't get rid of the chloramine 

You learn something new every day.

I did the night before boil once.  On reflection, it seemed like such a waste of energy and time compared to adding a pinch of Sodium Metabisulfite.  Doing the pre-boil also messed with my volumes. due to boil-off.  I had to top up with extra water.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

That would do it.  But as Greeny says 15 minutes is enough.  Having said that, I usually fill my Grainfather and add the water additions, including Sodium Metabisulfite, the night before brewday, so it does sit overnight.

I use a hop scale from Kegland to weigh my chemical additions.  The screen shows up to 0.01 gram precision, so I reckon it is accurate enough to 0.1 gram.

PS Happy Birthday, mate.

Thank you Shamus, much appreciated it, I have all of this onboard, so I will work I out, Cheers.

• Like 2

if your planning on get rid of chlorine and chloramine    you might as well strip the water back to virtually nothing and add your  own salts etc      by by RO  3 stage filter system  at minimum

i use one of these filters .  no its not  an ro filter that will rove everything

CR20_1.jpg.b12834c9e407f526a270dba259ad0eb4.jpg

how good it is removing chlorine and chloramine who knows but i can't taste it in my beer using this.

your local caravan place will have some form of filters that will remove the unwanted minerals 

this filter cost me just 100 dollars  by memory..

the instructions say   to let run for 10l  before filling  things up with the filtered water

also  these filters doesnt matter which end you use them it works as it bi-directional 

and the filter comes with the hose fittings

@Classic Brewing Co  Happy Birthday  hope you had a great brewday on your birthday

Edited by ozdevil
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

if your planning on get rid of chlorine and chloramine    you might as well strip the water back to virtually nothing and add your  own salts etc      by by RO  3 stage filter system  at minimum

i use one of these filters .  no its not  an ro filter that will rove everything

CR20_1.jpg.b12834c9e407f526a270dba259ad0eb4.jpg

how good it is removing chlorine and chloramine who knows but i can't taste it in my beer using this.

your local caravan place will have some form of filters that will remove the unwanted minerals 

this filter cost me just 100 dollars  by memory..

the instructions say   to let run for 10l  before filling  things up with the filtered water

also  these filters doesnt matter which end you use them it works as it bi-directional 

and the filter comes with the hose fittings

@Classic Brewing Co  Happy Birthday  hope you had a great brewday on your birthday

Thank you OD I appreciate it, it's getting rather hard to type this for reasons associated with the demon drink but as you aptly reminded me it is my birthday ! I may try to study your tutorial in the morning as it it doesn't mappear to ake sense 😬

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

PS Happy Birthday, mate.

Shamus thank you, I won't say I cannot believe the absolute comradery that is practiced on this great forum between members but it is very important to mention the absolute comradery that is practiced on this great forum 👍 I mean that sincerely, Cheers.

My typing skills are deteriorating due to the demon drink ... it ust be someon's fauly=t  😐

• Haha 2

On 3/11/2022 at 5:53 PM, Itinerant Peasant said:

Thanks re the Carapils idea  @Tone boy Toner - I really should get some of that good stuff for sure.... but in Carapils' absence -- never fear freshly milled Malt is here haha -- Slipped in a nice dollop of Wheat so am thinking we might be ok for head and head retention....

@Itinerant Peasant , IMO - for Aussie lagers lose the wheat in the grain bill and use a good dose of Carapils instead.  I have never used dex in mine only white table sugar so cannot comment on that ingredient.  Cannot wait to see some post- n-rail pics of a low ABV (for you) lager - cheers

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

@Itinerant Peasant , IMO - for Aussie lagers lose the wheat in the grain bill and use a good dose of Carapils instead.  I have never used dex in mine only white table sugar so cannot comment on that ingredient.  Cannot wait to see some post- n-rail pics of a low ABV (for you) lager - cheers

lagers are hard at the best of times let alone low abv beers   for the homebrewer,  not saying it cant be done but i am interested

like you i'm waiting for the nice rail pic overlooking great scenery

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, ozdevil said:

lagers are hard at the best of times let alone low abv beers

Haha @ozdevil Ozzie mate thanks for the feedback mate and wise words...

I guess, however, I probably should put it in perspective...  with my AG long term Average to date being above 6% with some very easy drinkers above 7% that were making some of the Punters stumble -- and a bit of a new perspective on things in general...  then from my somewhat elevated ABV and Body "frame of reference" -- well for me anything below 5% is probs "low abv" ; )

I did learn from @Aussiekraut some tricks for a lower ABV beer but full bodied with a higher temp mash and yeah will play with a few variables and see what I can concoct... I think that there should be a possibility there somewhere to make something AG that is quite reasonable in the 3.5% to 4.5% that still tastes like good beer?

I know it is another megaswill - but I have drunk Furphy Ale in the more recent past and for a 4.4% Aussie Thinboy it is quite a refreshing Ale... seems that it is brewed using Kölle Yeast so that might be an option too in the future : )

And Coopers Pale at 4.5% is not a bad drop either....  In the past I have always migrated towards Sparkling and Stout haha for various reasons including ABV... but I think it's time for a change 👍

Edited by Itinerant Peasant
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

I know it is another megaswill - but I have drunk Furphy Ale in the more recent past and for a 4.4% Aussie Thinboy it is quite a refreshing Ale... seems that it is brewed using Kölle Yeast so that might be an option too in the future : )

IP I love Furphy it is a really nice hoppy beer, I have had it on tap too. I have considered buying a clone pack of it from one of these & I am not sure if I have seen it on Coopers site, but it would seem that these would only resemble the actual beer.

https://aussiebrewmakers.com.au/furphy-ale-recipe-kit/

https://thebrewshed.com.au/product/furphy-clone-recipe-pack/

https://www.countrybrewer.com.au/products/Furphy-Recipe.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like to brew (K&K so it's not brewing) Session Ales, keep the ABV to about 4-4.2

It's not always about staggering about, just sitting in the sun and having a Good Beer.

But I still have a lot to learn about K&K....

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I like to brew (K&K so it's not brewing) Session Ales, keep the ABV to about 4-4.2

It's not always about staggering about, just sitting in the sun and having a Good Beer.

David I used to think that when I joined this site about 4 years ago but believe me you are brewing regularly, it just gets better, I brewed 40 years ago & I picked up bad habits from the old man, uncles etc, their beer was awful, there were gaps in my comebacks to brewing in between my travelling etc but when I moved back into it seriously I discovered a whole new world of brewing & of course the technology & products available to us have made it so much easier.

There is nothing better than cracking a beer, getting a nice head & it tastes good when you have made it yourself, be patient, it will come. Cheers Phil.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

There is nothing wrong with K&K and you can make some ripper beers that way, just like you can make some awful AG beers. It's all about what you do, not how you do it. Taking a kit and making something exceptional from it is quite an art, so don't disregard K&K as "not brewing". We all do what we feel comfortable with and there is nothing wrong with that. Coming home after a hard day at work and cracking a delicious cold one, thinking "I made that" is just an unbeatable feeling 🙂 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

There is nothing wrong with K&K and you can make some ripper beers that way, just like you can make some awful AG beers. It's all about what you do, not how you do it. Taking a kit and making something exceptional from it is quite an art, so don't disregard K&K as "not brewing". We all do what we feel comfortable with and there is nothing wrong with that. Coming home after a hard day at work and cracking a delicious cold one, thinking "I made that" is just an unbeatable feeling 🙂 

Yes I couldn't agree with you more @Aussiekraut. My best beers to date have been K&K with some variations and additions. I am still learning things about AG brewing and getting the process done correctly and it will probably take me some time to get the AG brews better. I am enjoying that journey though, and I hope to produce some great AG beers.

• Like 2

Brew Day yesterday and first time doing an AG double batch using two SS Vessels one to heat up the sparge water for the grain basket in the bigger vessel with mash complete.... and then transfer of some of the main Wort back to the sparge vessel for different hop boil while adding further specialty malts to the main vessel... bit more hectic than just doing one but looks like I have managed to end up with two reasonable Brews and quite nice to see two completed in similar Brew Day session time to just the one : )

image.thumb.png.7705c131e8d3ffe0cf453458d280fc5b.png

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Tone boy said:

Good to see brew hound keeping a close eye on proceedings @Itinerant PeasantIP 👍

Was that two different brews, or a double batch of the one brew?

Cheers @Tone boy Toner : )

Very good question 😆

Short Answer:

2 different.  Not a double batch of same Brew.  Variety is the Spice of Life ; )

Long Answer:

I freshly milled grain and did a base Mash - sparged the Grain Basket - topping the bigger SS Vessel up (SSV1)... then pumped mash extract across into the now mostly empty SS FV that had previously held the Sparge Water (SSV2)... so two SSVs with the same Wort... then I topped SSV2 up with some more water (aiming at a lower body-lower ABV brew), and then in SSV1 did subsequent short mash using the Hop Spider little basket with some specialty grains including Crystal Malt (only needing a Steep) and Choc for another 15 minutes and pumped through that as well to capture what I could out of those additional grains in the short time (tho Palmer's reference sci papers would suggest most of the saccharification and development of the fermentables happens early on in a mash anyway).  So now I had somewhat different base Brews - which were then boiled/FO Steeped with their own Hopping Regime etc to make them further different.

The two brews then will be fermented out with very different yeasts... so...

Hopefully I will end up with quite different drinkable beers that originated from the same Base Mash... all going well 😋

• Like 2