Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2022

Marty_G

Chalked up a new beer today. V1 of a new saison. Basic grain bill being just pils malt. No rye or Vienna as per my usual. Swapped back to the lally belle saison and a totally new late addition hop in the form of ekanuot. I’ve not used that hop before but since I couldn’t get huel melon, this is apparently a good sub. It’s almost like a new world  hop with a noble spice under tone. Quite interesting to be honest. why this hop, we’ll I’m gunna dump some stone fruit into the fermenter come day 4 and all the aroma and tasting notes of the hop pair well with the fruit I plan on using…..

I swore I’d not go back to belle but I wanted a basic saison yeast that wouldn’t be too complex but wanted the bone dry diastatic power of the belle which some of the WL yeasts don’t always achieve.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, MitchBastard said:

I swore I’d not go back to belle

Nice, hope it works out. 
Now I am back to making a few saisons I much prefer them as a warm weather yeast than the kveik

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/3/2022 at 12:42 PM, kmar92 said:

I am keen to try to clone a Westvleteren 12. What was your recipe @stquinto? I am having a few problems with trying to source candi syrup D-180, I have found a few other shades but not D-180 so far.

Here's the long version mate:

westvleteren12 _1.JPG

westvleteren12 _2.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, kmar92 said:

Thank you @stquinto, appreciated.

A pleasure mate ! BTW, the secondary fermentation duration seems to have been cut off the screen (it was a screenshot from my PC). 60 days 😳

Mine’s a week in and I put a reminder in the calendar to bottle it on the 29th of May. Best leave it another 6 months after that…

2BDD4614-12E9-4B5E-886B-4154B7042DB4.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Recipe: 777Stout

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.076 SG
Estimated Color: 79.7 EBC
Estimated IBU: 76.5 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
1.50 kg          Pale Malt, Galaxy (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)    Grain         1          20.7 %        0.98 L        
1.50 kg          Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (5.9 EBC) Grain         2          20.7 %        0.98 L        
1.00 kg          Carapils (Briess) (3.0 EBC)                      Grain         3          13.8 %        0.65 L        
1.00 kg          Munich, Light (Joe White) (17.7 EBC)             Grain         4          13.8 %        0.65 L        
1.00 kg          Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                   Grain         5          13.8 %        0.65 L        
0.50 kg          Oats, Malted (Thomas Fawcett) (3.9 EBC)          Grain         6          6.9 %         0.33 L        
0.35 kg          Gladfield Roast Barley (1450.0 EBC)              Grain         7          4.8 %         0.23 L        
0.25 kg          Caraaroma (256.1 EBC)                            Grain         8          3.4 %         0.16 L        
0.16 kg          Gladfield Roasted Wheat (550.0 EBC)              Grain         9          2.2 %         0.10 L        
60.00 g          Super Pride [13.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min            Hop           10         76.5 IBUs     -             
1.0 pkg          Farmhouse    (Lallemand/Danstar #-)              Yeast         11         -             -             

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Noting, however, that is quite a big beefy Brew... 

Hmm, maybe I can add some Bonox?

16 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Thanks I will, you are right it is a beast.

Bear in mind a few things... the 1.5 of two pales is because I had some to get rid of, as is the 0.16 roasted wheat.

I just make stuff up.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Fair enough it is a good guide nonetheless. 👍

Cheers.

I really like beersmith, when I choose a style it lists ingredients to be used and helps a lot < I assume whtever you use does the same?

I don't use other peoples recipes. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, interceptor said:

Cheers.

I really like beersmith, when I choose a style it lists ingredients to be used and helps a lot < I assume whtever you use does the same?

I don't use other peoples recipes. 

TBH I am still trying to work Brew Father out, I understand the basics but that's about it. I am not too worried about it ATM.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, interceptor said:

I really like beersmith, when I choose a style it lists ingredients to be used and helps a lot < I assume whatever you use does the same?

I use the same @interceptor and I think @Aussiekraut also uses Beersmith...   but fear at startup I deleted some of the library inf/style information - maybe you can point me where to look... but in general I think I can get by pretty much ok - I just pick a vaguely relevant style and then I manually add in what ingredients I am looking at putting in -- from experience and what I have maybe seen others do -- and then  you get some vague idea of what it will look like... and then after that I look forward with anticipation as to what the festive brew will be like...  not really been disappointed yet with the festive ongoing big AG experimental experience  : )

• Like 1

Brew day with a(nother) Duvel clone. I thought I ‘d be clever and mill the grain last night. I started late (11pm) and for some reason the grain weren’t grinding, they were going out the other side, not between the rollers. Finally sorted it at 3am (with a trip down to the cellar by SWMBO at that time as an added bonus…)

I think a grain was blocking one of the rollers and once dislodged it milled up fine. Took me a while to figure it out. Shall we say my troubleshooting skills were a bit lacking at that time of the day, and my state of inebriation 😒

Anyway, looking better today. I had wanted an early start but hey, better late than never. 

0901A547-08D9-49F1-BF84-8A8826B4AA0F.jpeg

479A4E2B-5E88-40D6-BC3E-286AD6429E55.jpeg

DF2D17D7-54D3-4D0A-8CF4-02C32BD0D72C.jpeg

9BA2BC97-0B0B-4F4B-A8B7-DF8DD60EAC81.jpeg

A0EECB23-48C0-4C33-A036-8D550529BEBC.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, interceptor said:
Recipe: 777Stout

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.076 SG
Estimated Color: 79.7 EBC
Estimated IBU: 76.5 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
1.50 kg          Pale Malt, Galaxy (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)    Grain         1          20.7 %        0.98 L        
1.50 kg          Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (5.9 EBC) Grain         2          20.7 %        0.98 L        
1.00 kg          Carapils (Briess) (3.0 EBC)                      Grain         3          13.8 %        0.65 L        
1.00 kg          Munich, Light (Joe White) (17.7 EBC)             Grain         4          13.8 %        0.65 L        
1.00 kg          Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                   Grain         5          13.8 %        0.65 L        
0.50 kg          Oats, Malted (Thomas Fawcett) (3.9 EBC)          Grain         6          6.9 %         0.33 L        
0.35 kg          Gladfield Roast Barley (1450.0 EBC)              Grain         7          4.8 %         0.23 L        
0.25 kg          Caraaroma (256.1 EBC)                            Grain         8          3.4 %         0.16 L        
0.16 kg          Gladfield Roasted Wheat (550.0 EBC)              Grain         9          2.2 %         0.10 L        
60.00 g          Super Pride [13.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min            Hop           10         76.5 IBUs     -             
1.0 pkg          Farmhouse    (Lallemand/Danstar #-)              Yeast         11         -             -             

Nice mate be interested to see how the super pride turns out at that volume of IBUs have you tried it before at that amount?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Stickers said:

@stquintonice 500mm ruler you've got there too 🙂

There’s no graduations on the inside of the sparge heater (used to be my brew kettle when I was BIABing), and each litre of water corresponds to 1cm. Handy that 🤔

Edited by stquinto
Typo

Had to fiddle a bit to the the OG up - I added 300d of dextrose. A bit short at 1.066 ( should have been 1.071)

After the 20 cold crash it might be down to 1.00 so it’ll be fine, especially as I’ll be bottling with 2g F2 yeast and some extra sugar 

04C4575E-581E-40D4-8DB2-8F46D43924B1.jpeg

AFF20679-63F5-476D-802F-C5C0E8AFBDFC.jpeg

25DDA223-4A19-4987-AE0E-8C97CE60FF78.jpeg

DABD196F-4715-43EE-8FE9-EEA51EEB77B3.jpeg

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

Cooking up my first all grain ESB in the little Braumeister this morning.

A simple recipe with ale, light and dark crystal malts, East Kent Goldings and Challenger hops.

Will ferment with Lallemand London Ale yeast.

Good Luck with it, nice machine, I have seen those on Grain & Grape's website but they are a tad expensive !!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Good Luck with it, nice machine, I have seen those on Grain & Grape's website but they are a tad expensive !!

Buy once, cry once. 😁

They all make wort though so it’s certainly not necessary to spend that much on a kettle.

• Haha 1

Rice lager boiling away happily but I am not convinced it is going to be good. Suffered a stuck sparge and by the look of it, the mash didn’t go to plan either. It initially cleared up well but after mashout, it was very starchy looking and the pre-boil sample was in the 1.050s, rather than the estimated 1.036. I often overshoot the pre-boil SG but not by 15+ points. Let’s see what happens.

8D071EE8-EB72-4E0D-AD15-5DF30026B245.thumb.jpeg.425d2f9073735f463887eedca00eda13.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

3 hours ago, interceptor said:

no - is it not going to work?

I don’t know I was just interested as I used super pride at 18 ibus in a simple lager (emu export clone) and it was just right. I would of thought it to be a harsh bitterness at a higher ibu just my thoughts no science or experience to back it up hence the reason I ask. In saying that your grist is obviously of a much higher og and darker grains etc so I will be interested to see what it’s like? Everywhere I read says it’s an excellent bittering hop and it’s stats don’t appear to say anything different? I’ve also have another 80grams in the freezer🤣 I could make another 4 export clones🤣 (I actually really enjoyed the beer) but if your piling it into a stout I could use it in other beers, also so I look forward to your results as always I enjoy looking at your recipes and thanks for posting 🍻

• Like 2