Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2022

Marty_G

On 5/4/2022 at 11:05 AM, Pale Man said:

How do you find the hop spider AK? I'm 50/50. It could potentially block and reduce your hop utilization, but if you go naked it causes other problems with blockages. 

Yeah, I was wondering about that. I have a hop spider but haven't used it yet on the G40. It seems to drain ok so I don't necessarily see the point. I assume it's only to avoid stuff getting blocked, right ?

• Like 1

Well, all assembled, just needed to go down the hardware store to get a plank of wood and some bolts to fix the wood to the mill. Guess what ? Not the same thread on the bolts as over here! The woman in the shop told me they were "Amercian threads" on the bolts (the threads are visibly wider apart than the European ones and in any case the bolt I took didn't fit the nuts in the shop).

I thought you fellas had gone completely metric since 1970 ?

What makes it worse is I seem to have dropped the bolt I took so now the hopper only has three bolts.

Necessity is the mother of all inventions, so hopefully my chip tub lid will bear the weight. Only be milling a kilo at a time I suppose...

Aaargh.... 😡

mill_1.jpg.4d2ada100691e4814e0ffe6497647bca.jpg

mill_2.jpg

• Like 8

8 hours ago, stquinto said:

The very same mate 👍

So far I've only had to unscrew 9 screws, the failure rate in assembling is getting better 😉

Ha Ha I usually end up with some left over when I assemble anything, that's why I avoid flat packs.

Handyman was never one of my finer points. 🤔

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, stquinto said:

Well, all assembled, just needed to go down the hardware store to get a plank of wood and some bolts to fix the wood to the mill. Guess what ? Not the same thread on the bolts as over here! The woman in the shop told me they were "Amercian threads" on the bolts (the threads are visibly wider apart than the European ones and in any case the bolt I took didn't fit the nuts in the shop).

I thought you fellas had gone completely metric since 1970 ?

What makes it worse is I seem to have dropped the bolt I took so now the hopper only has three bolts.

Necessity is the mother of all inventions, so hopefully my chip tub lid will bear the weight. Only be milling a kilo at a time I suppose...

Aaargh.... 😡

Too many job sheets for me Stquinta. 😬

• Haha 2

Recipe: Pacific Ale
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.056 SG
Estimated Color: 7.4 EBC
Estimated IBU: 39.5 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.50 kg          Gladfield American Ale Malt (5.0 EBC)            Grain         1          70.0 %        2.28 L        
1.50 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         2          30.0 %        0.98 L        
50.00 g          Enigma [16.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min, 90 Hop           3          26.8 IBUs     -             
25.00 g          Galaxy [15.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min, 90 Hop           4          12.7 IBUs     -             
1.0 pkg          Farmhouse    (Lallemand/Danstar #-)              Yeast         5          -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Like 7

5 minutes ago, interceptor said:

Recipe Specifications

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.50 kg          Gladfield American Ale Malt (5.0 EBC)            Grain         1          70.0 %        2.28 L        
1.50 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         2          30.0 %        0.98 L        
50.00 g          Enigma [16.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min, 90 Hop           3          26.8 IBUs     -             
25.00 g          Galaxy [15.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min, 90 Hop           4          12.7 IBUs     -             
1.0 pkg          Farmhouse    (Lallemand/Danstar #-)              Yeast         5          -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting that you get your IBU’s from the whirlpool alone IC. What temperature do you have your whirlpool? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

What temperature do you have your whirlpool? 

I have done it before and it works REALLY well for a pacific.

I throw the hops in at flameout, so 100°c

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, interceptor said:

Recipe Specifications

Ingredients:
------------

I made a Galaxy/Enigma Pacific Ale it was delicious 🤤 enjoy!

• Like 4

Brew day was Thursday. Just a K&K quick and easy. No photos…you’ll just have to use ur imagination.

PALE ALE

• Coopers Australian Pale Ale 1.7kg
  • Coopers wheat liquid malt 1.5kg
  • 215g LDME (boiled with hops with 4 litres of water)
  • 15g Galaxy @ 10 mins
  • 15g Galaxy, 30g Cascade, 20g El Dorado @ Flameout 
  • M42 New World Strong 💪 Ale yeast

23 litres fermenting at 20 degrees C 

See what happens…

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Recipe: Mosaic Amber
Style: American Amber Ale

Recipe Specifications
Estimated OG: 1.054 SG
Estimated Color: 25.6 EBC
Estimated IBU: 53.8 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
3.00 kg          Pale Malt, Galaxy (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)    Grain         1          61.9 %        1.96 L        
1.00 kg          Munich, Light (Joe White) (17.7 EBC)             Grain         2          20.6 %        0.65 L        
0.35 kg          Crystal, Dark (Joe White) (216.7 EBC)            Grain         3          7.2 %         0.23 L        
0.25 kg          Caramunich II (Weyermann) (124.1 EBC)            Grain         4          5.2 %         0.16 L        
0.25 kg          Carapils (Briess) (3.0 EBC)                      Grain         5          5.2 %         0.16 L        
10.00 g          Super Pride [13.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min            Hop           6          15.1 IBUs     -             
50.00 g          Mosaic (HBC 369) [14.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  60 Hop           7          38.6 IBUs     -             

Yeast of some sort
  • Like 5

This was the brew day from hell of sorts. Managed to squeeze another brew in before it all gets shut down for a few weeks, so decided to make a mango sour. Not feeling crash hot, so I should have not done it but you know, she'll be right, right? Got the FV ready and the lock of the tap fell off. So I got a spare tap on and tested the FV but it was leaking of course. those screw in taps are a pain in the neck. They're either too tight and kill the seal, are too loose and leak and if they're fitting perfectly, they point sideways. Ok, off we go and get the brand new spare Coopers FV from the brewery, and used the new tap that came with it. All good. Because I did too many other things, I didn't pay attention to a few things and it bit me in the back side. I should have put a few rice hulls into the grist to loosen things up a little, so it all drains better. After the sparge, I did all sorts of things but not keep an eye on the temperature, so once I heard the ding for the boil starting, I had hot break from a******* to breakfast,. Now the kettle needs an extra good scrub before it gets packed away, inside and out and so does the jacket. Then I forgot the whirlfloc tablet, so it didn't clear up particularly much. It ended up coming in at 1.043, 3 points below where it should have been. To top it off, it just fit into the fridge because it is a bigger FV than the other one was and I haven't cut the timber bits to size yet to make a shelf. It's all in now and once it is at pitching temp, I'll calibrate the the new RAPT Pill. I wonder what will go wrong there.

Note to self, when you're not feeling good, make yourself comfy on the lounge and watch movies rather than make beer. 

Edited by Aussiekraut
  • Sad 6

6 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

This was the brew day from hell of sorts. Managed to squeeze another brew in before it all gets shut down for a few weeks, so decided to make a mango sour. Not feeling crash hot, so I should have not done it but you know, she'll be right, right? Got the FV ready and the lock of the tap fell off. So I got a spare tap on and tested the FV but it was leaking of course. those screw in taps are a pain in the neck. They're either too tight and kill the seal, are too loose and leak and if they're fitting perfectly, they point sideways. Ok, off we go and get the brand new spare Coopers FV from the brewery, and used the new tap that came with it. All good. Because I did too many other things, I didn't pay attention to a few things and it bit me in the back side. I should have put a few rice hulls into the grist to loosen things up a little, so it all drains better. After the sparge, I did all sorts of things but not keep an eye on the temperature, so once I heard the ding for the boil starting, I had hot break from a******* to breakfast,. Now the kettle needs an extra good scrub before it gets packed away, inside and out and so does the jacket. Then I forgot the whirlfloc tablet, so it didn't clear up particularly much. It ended up coming in at 1.043, 3 points below where it should have been. To top it off, it just fit into the fridge because it is a bigger FV than the other one was and I haven't cut the timber bits to size yet to make a shelf. It's all in now and once it is at pitching temp, I'll calibrate the the new RAPT Pill. I wonder what will go wrong there.

Note to self, when you're not feeling good, make yourself comfy on the lounge and watch movies rather than make beer. 

Mama what else could go wrong !! I would de-stress with a cold beer. 🍻

• Haha 2

Big day today. 
Got cracking on a Guinness clone. First outing on the new miller. It is OUTSTANDING. Would absolutely recommend this piece of kit. These fluted rollers are so incredibly efficient ! My milling was over int 10 minutes, amazing. Admittedly it took a cuppla goes till I realised you had to go anti-clockwise, but hey, who’s counting?

Then onto to transferring the pressure fermenter  of XPA to a keg. Had a problem with the top of the tube getting above the ball floater  I think it’ll need to be weighed down with two or three stainless steel washers next time. Ended up opening it and syphoning the rest into the keg.

Last job was bottling the Orval clone. Good and sour, that’s for sure! The top of the beer in the FV looked pretty rank but it tasted quite right. Fingers crossed…

3FA0ED86-AD5F-4916-8648-AA545811BF0B.jpeg

95AD26B8-C3A3-497F-981F-C818BB8BAA42.jpeg

D73F409E-512A-42E6-8331-3BC2962ABE7E.jpeg

98583E69-4FD4-44A3-B152-82F2632723F6.jpeg

18B39E20-FA34-4732-80F1-B6C281E73663.jpeg

201542E7-4282-4D21-802A-AF5C10536A65.jpeg

864547C8-A066-4E43-97B8-366CA6DA8426.jpeg

90498818-FB0B-4200-AFAC-5E39104B9CB8.jpeg

2ACBB311-49CB-488C-B4AB-2F5F97DA9D0E.jpeg

• Like 6

8 hours ago, interceptor said:

Hmmm, what was that fermented with?

First fermentation was with WLP 510 (Bastogne Belgian Ale), then Brettonomyces Bruxellensis. Never tried a sour before. It actually tastes quite similar to Orval. It came in at 1.014. Hopefully it’ll bottle condition. 
Judging by the scum on top it looks like it might be a goner, but maybe it’s normal for Brett 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, stquinto said:

Brettonomyces Bruxellensis

It produces the classic "sweaty horse blanket" character of indigenous beers such as gueuze, lambics and sour browns and may form a pellicle in bottles or casks.

9 minutes ago, stquinto said:

Judging by the scum on top it looks like it might be a goner,

Have a looks at my fermenters in this thread >> 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1