Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2022

Marty_G

1 minute ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

German Kolsch,

Should be good but honestly @Classic Brewing Co Phil but this should be called something more like an ale or a pseudo lager as there is a mile of difference between Kölsch Yeast output and my good ol' buddy US05... not having a go at anyone here... and love US05 but.... having done a load of what I consider were great beers with US05 and done some Ks recently - the US05 has got Buckley's at delivering the K mild but interesting Ester Profile....  so they really shouldn't be calling it a K... but I guess hey they can call it whatever they like...  and come what may you will deliver a nice beer.  But if you want a K then I suggest considering Lally K Dry Yeast and going at around 16-17 to begin with....  the Yeasty Bois have a profound influence...  and the warmer the gig the more funky things get. 

As for the Hops which look great - you would have used Hallertau Mit plenty before - and these two guys are noooooooot that much different to HT Mit in the big scheme of things Hop World but hey all the same they are nice hops fer sher.

It's funny but I woulda added the Perle at the end as it I sorta think can add a bit of a spicy earthy note... but maybe I am dreaming there too... 

Should be a great AG Brew 3!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Should be good but honestly @Classic Brewing Co Phil but this should be called something more like an ale or a pseudo lager as there is a mile of difference between Kölsch Yeast output and my good ol' buddy US05... not having a go at anyone here... and love US05 but.... having done a load of what I consider were great beers with US05 and done some Ks recently - the US05 has got Buckley's at delivering the K mild but interesting Ester Profile....  so they really shouldn't be calling it a K... but I guess hey they can call it whatever they like...  and come what may you will deliver a nice beer.  But if you want a K then I suggest considering Lally K Dry Yeast and going at around 16-17 to begin with....  the Yeasty Bois have a profound influence...  and the warmer the gig the more funky things get. 

As for the Hops which look great - you would have used Hallertau Mit plenty before - and these two guys are noooooooot that much different to HT Mit in the big scheme of things Hop World but hey all the same they are nice hops fer sher.

It's funny but I woulda added the Perle at the end as it I sorta think can add a bit of a spicy earthy note... but maybe I am dreaming there too... 

Should be a great AG Brew 3!

All good points IP & appreciated, problem is I have just given up my brew fridge to use as a keg fridge so this time around I probably will have to go with the US-05 as I will be brewing at ambient & I can pretty much do it in my brew room around 18c.

I do understand what you mean but this is one of Country Brewers clones. I f I get a decent beer with the right volumes I wll be happy for this time around.

Cheers.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Here is AG Bew #3 German Kolsch, recipe says 22l, guy at LBHS said 20l so I might do 21l 🤔I haven't used these hops before so looking forward to putting it together in the next day or 2.

20220521_160451.jpg

That was my first AG brew @Classic Brewing Co, nice and easy to brew & knock back mate as I have a Country Brewer in my neck of the woods. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Red devil 44 said:

That was my first AG brew @Classic Brewing Co, nice and easy to brew & knock back mate as I have a Country Brewer in my neck of the woods. 

I am glad to hear that RD, I had other choices, you would have seen them in CB shops, the guy that runs this is a client of mine so I like to promote reciprocal business so I visit his franchise now & again, my first AG brew was from there, an American Pale Ale & it's awesome, so I am looking forward to something different.

Cheers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

As @Red devil 44 Reddler notes mate @Classic Brewing Co Phil you will get a decent Beer... a nice Ale or pseudo Larger ; )

But probs not a K but WGAFF anyway - nicely mashed boiled brewed fermented and gassed up it will be a beautiful thing 🥳

Sounds good IP, I think I will get a better beer now as I have had some expert help from @Hoppy81 to set up the recipe in BrewFather - at least now I will have my water volumes right !! 

Brew day will probably be Monday so I feel more confident with my newfound knowledge.

• Like 2

Hey @Classic Brewing Co, like @Itinerant Peasant, I strongly suggest you use Lallemand's Kolsch style yeast for your brew.  It will be fine around 18°C.  It will create a different flavour to the US-05.  I do not think Lallemand's Kolsch is overly funky, just a bit different to a neutral yeast like US-05.  At the end of the day the choice is yours and getting more yeast before Monday might be a bit tricky.

If you end up using the US-05, you will still make a lovely beer, just do not call it a Kolsch.  It is the yeast that makes it a Kolsch, none of the other ingredients "make" it a Kolsch.

409715089_Screenshot2022-05-21204042.jpg.b636407f2e14ddb30752dbec8d84b48b.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hey @Classic Brewing Co, like @Itinerant Peasant, I strongly suggest you use Lallemand's Kolsch style yeast for your brew.  It will be fine around 18°C.  It will create a different flavour to the US-05.  I do not think Lallemand's Kolsch is overly funky, just a bit different to a neutral yeast like US-05.  At the end of the day the choice is yours and getting more yeast before Monday might be a bit tricky.

If you end up using the US-05, you will still make a lovely beer, just do not call it a Kolsch.  It is the yeast that makes it a Kolsch, none of the other ingredients "make" it a Kolsch.

Hi Shamus, Thanks for that, if you & IP recommend that yeast, that is more than good enough for me, advice coming from 2 of the big gun brewer's on this forum has convinced me. I will get some on Monday, the brew can wait an extra day. 

I don't know why the wouldn't include that in the pack in the first place.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Yeah, I did mine at 18 to start with and then brought it up to 20C after it had hit 1.020. It's been in the fridge for 3 weeks and will get kegged today and then go into cold storage for 4 weeks. Should be good when I get back. 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

will have to go with the US-05

It's about as interesting as slamming your nuts in a drawer.

Perle is not overly great either. You could just use PoR if you have some mate

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, interceptor said:

Perle is not overly great either

Now now don't be like that @interceptor Ceptor....  for this brew surely now Phil has it in stock lovely Perle would be just fine...   ?

Myself am not thinking that PoR would fit in with a K... but yeah I guess if we are not brewing a K cos its US05 then maybe making it a bit more interesting PoR might be cool too hey...

In general tho am thinking Perle is fine and @Classic Brewing Co Phil will end up with a nice AG beer whatever he does in the Ferment process.... 

But at the end of the WWGGAAFF just brew on up and something good will result if you are using qual ingredients and good practices ; )

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Now now don't be like that @interceptor Ceptor....  for this brew surely now Phil has it in stock lovely Perle would be just fine...   ?

Myself am not thinking that PoR would fit in with a K... but yeah I guess if we are not brewing a K cos its US05 then maybe making it a bit more interesting PoR might be cool too hey...

In general tho am thinking Perle is fine and @Classic Brewing Co Phil will end up with a nice AG beer whatever he does in the Ferment process.... 

But at the end of the WWGGAAFF just brew on up and something good will result if you are using qual ingredients and good practices ; )

I reckon the supplied hops will be fine & I will take the advice & buy the Kolsch style Ale Yeast.

15 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I reckon the supplied hops will be fine

Yes they will. 

I bulk buy hops and use what I have.
Buying a pack, use what you have, apart from the rubbish yeast,

23 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Myself am not thinking that PoR would fit in with a K

Similar profiles.....

• Like 1

Recipe: Passiona Sour

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.058 SG
Estimated Color: 5.8 EBC
Estimated IBU: 7.3 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
2.50 kg          Pale Malt, Galaxy (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)    Grain         1          47.6 %        1.63 L        
2.50 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         2          47.6 %        1.63 L        
0.25 kg          Carapils (Briess) (3.0 EBC)                      Grain         3          4.8 %         0.16 L        
5.00 g           Super Pride [13.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min            Hop           4          7.3 IBUs      -             
1.0 pkg          Wildbrew Philly Sour (Lallemand #- ) [50.28 ml]  Yeast         5          -             -             

Passionfruit pulp and mandarin or orange juice (from the garden)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1